Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 755Posts
    • 5,529Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 22
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 11th Feb 18, 1:36 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    We looked at haven but there is only the more expensive caravans left, depends how much i can get together (there is £500 in the holiday account at the minute). DH loves cornwall so perran sands would be our haven option. Yes, you're going the week before, sure i've seen someone on here with the later dates too.
    I was going to do the sun holidays, wish we had now, never done it before but looks like they work out really well.
    We usually go to a site with only an outdoor pool, which is closed by october, so might look for an indoor pool, at least then they have that option if the weather is rubbish.

I've posted on the mortgage board, to see if we are just stuck in limbo until the debt is paid.
    LBM in April 17 - £6655/£33554 (19.8%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1031/£5000 (20.6% paid)
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning all. Cold and icy here this morning. Girls loved walking to school in the snow.

DD for CC has come out, £286 paid so far this month. Been looking at the start of my diary and how things have changed. I was so determined to pay off those big chunks every month and get it gone. Now i'm happy to take a longer road and enjoy spending time with the children while they are young (including big house alterations for them). It might just take us a year longer to get it all gone.

DH fetched some bits needed this morning, not sure how much he spent yet. Was just pull up, milk and croissants so shouldn't have been to much.

I'm going to write a to do list, i don't normally but if I write it down, i might actually do it. You might notice a pattern of thing's i put off..

.Phone about DS nappies
    .Phone doctors for DD2, DS1, DD1 and myself
    .Ring and sort dentist for girls, i forgot appointments last month
    .Ring and find out when my hospital app is
    .Ring mortgage
    .Sort out DD2 bag ready for school trip
    .Sort DD2 birthday for Tuesday
    .Sort a present for DD3 for a party she's invited to Sunday
    .Pay swimming gala money for DD2+3 (£4)
    .Pay DD3 school trip
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 11,744 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you Wannabe.
    Half hour cleaning in kitchen done, I will get over this rubbish mood!

Rang and spoke to nurse about DS2 nappies. She has updated his order, we can have nappies in the day time! This will save us almost £10 a week on pull-ups! Need to order them tomorrow once she has amended his order.

Going to get a shower and get ready for work. Will sort the girls bag and put in their gala money, will be another thing then done off the list instead of leaving it until it's due.

Need to write a list for DS1, he's collecting the girls from school, needs to give them a snack and get them ready for gymnastics if DH isn't awake. If it's not in detail, it won't get done.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 8,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Fantastic saving on the pull-ups! And a quick result It seems to take ages for some people to get necessary changes implemented.

You are having a very organised morning, I'm way behind you. Still in pjs having not long woken up: I need to get back into a routine and now my kids are grown I'm only forced into it by work!

Re doctor/dentist/hospital appointments, can you get them to text you a day or so before it's due? Mine all do that now and it's quite useful. I also have a 'Flyday style' calendar with big squares and stickers and a space at the back for appointment cards and notes so it's easy for everyone to see what's happening. I've even got DH trained to add things to it. That took a while It's so hard keeping track of everything for a family (at least my older ones run their own lives now) but we still need our appointments, my shifts, random meetings, Grandpa's appointments etc.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 9,543 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That is a result on the nappies, and it sounds like you are making good progress on the freezer.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you both.
    Cherry, it has been a struggle, he's 12. We have had a long time with reusable ones they sent but they are only for accidents. We are changing them constantly, they cant go in with any other washing as it makes everything smell and they still stink after (he has no control over his bowels) and after a few washes they just leak anyway. They said once he was using the toilet it would be easier but it's becoming obvious he's never going to.
    On his last review with the incontinence nurse she gave us some slip things to try and it's so much easier. He already has a full nappy for night so it was just a case of her updating his order.

All the appointments used to text the day before but seem to have stopped now. I need to get a new calendar, we never picked one up for this year. My hospital one might, i think it was a 6 month app, making it april but for some reason i'm thinking it might have been a 3 month.

Thank you Redo, it's emptying quicker than i thought. Kids can have chicken fingers tonight, needs to be quick after gym and swimming, just need to pick something up to go with it. Think we will have chicken and sweet potato wedges, both in freezer.

Right, i need to go change DS, shower and sort girls swim bags..
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Feb 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 8,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hopefully having disposables instead of the reusable ones will help your laundry bill too. I'm normally an advocate for everything sustainable but when it comes to continence pads I think practicality has to come into it. It's a shame people have to battle to get something so basic sorted out.

I shouldn't read other people's food lists: now I fancy sweet potato wedges! You are doing well with working through your freezer.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you. I'm hoping it helps with the laundry bill too.

The sweet potato wedges were lovely! I had them with chicken and veg. Kids had waffles, chicken fingers and veg. A lot of the fingers were left, apparently the chicken fingers didn't taste like fish!?! I think it was just late for them to eat too.

After swimming and shopping they didn't get dinner until half 9 so had a really late night again.

Spent £45 on shopping today! Realised I need to leave DH outside when i go shopping. It wasn't even proper meal stuff. Did spent £8 on pancake things and DH had a pizza for when he gets in tomorrow and DD2 wash things for trip but there wasn't mush else that we actually needed.

£13 spent on wellies and slippers for DD for her trip as i realised this morning her wellies are way to small when she tried to get them on for school. DD3 tried them today and they don't fit her either, they've only wore them twice.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 13-02-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning. Bank checked and £218 paid in from tax back. Hopefully the room swap can happen a bit quicker than we planned, I'm fed up of stuff all over already. I don't touch the bank until the end of the month but think there will be about £600 left over this month towards it. That should cover stud wall and a skip for the old brick wall.

Have some school things this afternoon. Need to pack DD2 for her trip tomorrow and remember i've agreed to go in to work an hour early tonight.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 8,558 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Kids had waffles, chicken fingers and veg. A lot of the fingers were left, apparently the chicken fingers didn't taste like fish!?!
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    Really?!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Really?!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Yep, think i'll stick to actual fish fingers in future LOL.

Think i have all DD2 things just about ready, put in extra leggings in case it's cold,she can wear them under her joggers.

Realised we haven't sorted DD anything for her birthday. Just contacted a local pamper place, it's £12.50 per child and includes hair, makeup, nails, foot spa, non alcoholic champagne, cupcakes, use of catwalk, use of gowns, slippers and props and invites. Can add buffet for £4 per head. I think we may book it in for her next week if i can get invites to her friends with them all on the trip.

DS2 is completely engrossed in the winter olympics! He just got a bit emotional at the ice skating. May have to go hunting for work sheets to go with it.

Not done anything i had planned yet this morning.
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 11,744 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Glad you got the nappies sorted. Makes a huge difference when they finally listen.

The party sounds amazing!

I have been watching the Winter games too. I really enjoy it
    x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 15th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    A busy few days again. £40 spent on food today. DH has thrown my budgets out though, he used the food account to buy me a card, flowers, cake and wine for valentines day. We don't normally do anything but think he felt a bit guilty about my birthday. I don't want to ask what he spent so i'll take £20 from the occasions account to cover it. He also bought a DVD for DS2 so £10 from the entertainment budget too.

Bought DD a bright yellow rain coat today for her birthday, £18 from the occasions account.

Found my appointment card, it's in april, so 1 less call to make. Only a few bits ticked off my list so far.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Not much to update,bank hasn't changed. So far today it's a NSD but i think it will change. Not sure what we are having for tea and there isn't much in.

Was up last night with DD1 and the dreaded sick bug. I've been at work this morning but feel awful. Girls are swimming tonight so will pay their gala fee's as no one was there on tuesday.
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 16th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 11,744 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Oh no hope the bug doesn't pass round you all!

x
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Feb 18, 11:17 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you wannabe, DD1 still looks awful. I keep getting a really sick/nausea feeling but hopefully that's all.

DD2 came back from her trip, she's absolutely exhausted! She didn't sleep properly and had night mares and she was to scared to tell the teacher. We have had lots of tears she is that tired. I've not looked through her bag yet but want to get everything washed and then DD3 can borrow her joggers/wellies for her trip in just under 3 weeks, being about the same size has it's advantages.

We've done swimming, DD2 really struggled, probably should have left her at home. Had a quick tea of toast and whatever topping and they went to bed. So we didn't spend anything at all.

Half term has officially started and I hope it's going to be as spend free as possible.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 18th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. It's been a long weekend. No debt busting to update.
    Yesterday was at work all day, how i managed it, I will never know. I felt awful but not feeling to bad today. DD1 still looks bad and DS2 was sick last night but we aren't sure if it was a bug or that he had worked himself up over his eye hurting, he was convinced he was going to die (even a scratch sets off this reaction) He has been fine today.

DD3 has had a friends party this afternoon and loved ice skating, even though she didn't let go of the wall the whole time. She now want's an ice skating party for her birthday.

I've had to do shopping both days. Yesterday was about £30, need to check the account, on food for chicken tikka and rice and pudding, DH also had beer. £10 on birthday gift for today. £13 today on a quick dinner as DH was starting at 7 and we didn't have time for the beef.

I'm going to do a weekly shop after work tomorrow (i'm in early for stock take). Need to write a list so it isn't 1 meal and £30 of junk food. Need to get bits for a party tea for DD on Tuesday too (must remember pop! I only buy fizzy pop on special occasions).

My list from the beginning of the week looks like this...
    .Phone about DS nappies Done, delivered friday!
    .Phone doctors for DD2, DS1, DD1 and myself
    .Ring and sort dentist for girls, i forgot appointments last month
    .Ring and find out when my hospital app is found card, 11th april
    .Ring mortgage
    .Sort out DD2 bag ready for school trip Done, back and in wash for DD3
    .Sort DD2 birthday for Tuesday ermmm.. Paid party deposit, still no present yet
    .Sort a present for DD3 for a party she's invited to Sunday Done and attended
    .Pay swimming gala money for DD2+3 (£4) It's ready, still in swim bag
    .Pay DD3 school trip £65 Done

Not as much as i was hoping, it's the phone calls i've put off again.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 18th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Forgot to add that i won £28 back from a cash back site for some christmas shopping. It's a newish site so will transfer it straight to paypal so i know it won't disappear.

Also party food, it's £4 per child if i want to add it on, i'm wondering if i can do it cheaper than the £24/28 and still make it varied and enough (we have cake stands, thinking afternoon tea style maybe).
    Hoping i can make up some pretty gift bags cheaper than the £2.50 each too.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 18th Feb 18, 11:34 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    So much for my early night ready for a 5am start. Every time I lay down DS2 starts crying. He's really unsettled.

I've been laid readying through diaries and seeing everyone's progress. Also worked out that on the reduced payments we are looking at 62 months to pay off the debt. A DFD of April 2023. Unless anything changes between now and then, I'm quite happy now to take a long and winding journey.

Right, better try to sleep....
    SPC #591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin