Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsJam
    • By MrsJam 6th Apr 17, 12:32 AM
    • 122Posts
    • 162Thanks
    MrsJam
    Drooling over houses I love but can't afford
    • 6th Apr 17, 12:32 AM
    Drooling over houses I love but can't afford 6th Apr 17 at 12:32 AM

Please feel free to join me!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64302557.html
    Last edited by MrsJam; 07-04-2017 at 1:07 AM. Reason: smile rather than frown
Page 1
    • BobQ
    • By BobQ 6th Apr 17, 12:43 AM
    • 10,212 Posts
    • 13,454 Thanks
    BobQ
    • 6th Apr 17, 12:43 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 12:43 AM
    If you are going to drool, then drool over something more palatial....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46501071.html

I do like the name of the Estate Agent.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    • MrsJam
    • By MrsJam 6th Apr 17, 12:50 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    MrsJam
    • 6th Apr 17, 12:50 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by BobQ
    OMG love it!

Love EA's name haha
    • MrsJam
    • By MrsJam 6th Apr 17, 1:08 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    MrsJam
    • 6th Apr 17, 1:08 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 1:08 AM
    ?

do you mean normal houses I can't afford or do you mean houses that everyone would drool over as being lovely but unaffordable unless you are the super rich ?

a 3 bed terraced house up north may of course be unaffordable to some, but hardly drool territory
    Originally posted by eggha
    Hi,

It's all relevant to what you can afford? Be it up North or down South.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 6th Apr 17, 5:45 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    Tiners
    • 6th Apr 17, 5:45 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 5:45 AM
    O.P. I'm amazed that some gullible mug has paid anything close to that asking price for that property, it's insanely overpriced!

It's 2-3 times the price of what other comparable nearby properties on Oldham rd have recently sold for.

Someone has massively overpaid for it, to the extent that I even suspect it may possibly be some form of money laundering exercise.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 6th Apr 17, 6:12 AM
    • 17,079 Posts
    • 42,017 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 6th Apr 17, 6:12 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 6:12 AM
    O.P. I'm amazed that some gullible mug has paid anything close to that asking price for that property, it's insanely overpriced!
    Ha ha, and here I was amazed at how cheap the property was! I think OH and I really need to think of moving up!

I do love the style and the size of rooms, but I wouldn't want it, firstly because of lack of garden and secondly because of lack of second bathroom. Do those in bed 2 need to go through bed 1 to access the only bathroom? The alternative is to make the small bed 3 the other bathroom, but then it becomes a 2 bed house and we would miss that extra bed space, even though it is a tiny one.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Apr 17, 7:36 AM
    • 27,090 Posts
    • 97,131 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 6th Apr 17, 7:36 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 7:36 AM
    I never drool over huge houses with acres of fancy gardens and grounds., mainly because I can't suspend the reality, which is that such properties are almost a full-time job to maintain and a constant drain on resources.

Even the relatively modest property I have requires hundreds of hours input and around 2k/pa spent outdoors. I could double that easily and still not be extravagant.

So, my Rightmove alerts don't bring me houses that cost more than I could afford, except the one for my very local area which I set high, so that I don't miss any sales from people I might know.

The greatest joy, I find, is that among the properties that are affordable, I rarely see one that I'd want more than the one I have. OK, many might be nicer on the inside, but when it comes to situation, there's usually an easy to spot problem,or two, or three....We learned long ago that nice houses are much easier to find than good situations. Ity was the situation and definitely not the house that swung it here.

The down-side of that is I've no idea where we'll go when I'm too old and decrepit to manage here. Occasionally, I see something and think, "Ah, I could live in that." but experience teaches that these places are never around when required!
    Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 6th Apr 17, 8:15 AM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 6th Apr 17, 8:15 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 8:15 AM

You go ahead and buy it and we (me, OH and cat) will move into the cottage
    • horseymchorseface
    • By horseymchorseface 6th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    horseymchorseface
    • 6th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 6th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    don't be deterred, you just need a good broker to get you that 4 million pound mortgage. They will find you a lender who can lend x4500 income
    • ACG
    • By ACG 6th Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 18,130 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    ACG
    Easier said than done but it is potentially within reach (unlike the 4m mansion). A couple earning say 20-25k each with a 10% deposit could probably afford something in that price range.

Alternatively, find a similar property that has not had the work carried out and do it yourself over a couple of years?

I have said this a few times on here, but I bought my first house 4 years ago for 86k. I have spent around 10-12k on it in that time and have recently sold it for 155k, which has meant I am now able to get something bigger and in a nicer area.

If you did something similar, you would then need to me earning around 18k each. Sometimes you just need to look at the bigger picture and put a plan together on how you will get there.

Positive thinking!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 6th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    firebird082
    Love the style of that one - clearly I need to move north, as our little 2 up 2 down terrace cost more than that
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 6th Apr 17, 10:04 AM
    • 9,025 Posts
    • 59,992 Thanks
    LEJC
    The thing for me is...the one's I drool over are the dooer uppers....

theres nothing better than seeing something that is totally unloved and looking at it with vision.
    The ones that are done have little or no appeal to me...I would much prefer to create it as I want.
    frugal October...41.82 of 40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...18.64 spend
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 6th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Mrs36
    Wow, a victorian terrace with an AGA? Someone has overspent there I really cannot warm to victorian houses at all, Despite lashings of cream paint, they all feel dark, in my opinion.

The thing for me is...the one's I drool over are the dooer uppers....

theres nothing better than seeing something that is totally unloved and looking at it with vision.
    The ones that are done have little or no appeal to me...I would much prefer to create it as I want.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Agreed, LEJC

The one by the Thames is beautiful, but so bare. No pictures, no evidence of life
    Last edited by Mrs36; 06-04-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime

Call me strange but for 4M I think I'd like to see more pictures of the actual house than the views.

In fact I'm always a little wary of listings that show more of the outside than the inside!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • cloo
    • By cloo 6th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    cloo
    This website has a lot of the sort of houses I like to drool over, though I notice it doesn't provide too many pics, presumably to deter us drooling plebs from hogging their site

http://www.themodernhouse.com/sales-list/camden-road/
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 6th Apr 17, 11:26 AM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 6,834 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Like LEJC, I usually only drool over fixer uppers as I have some kind of magnet that draws me to abandoned, unloved properties, lol!

Often these are moneypits Arts and Crafts in style, such as the one we're currently sympathetically restoring

One I do have in my RM saved list that I lust after, is this

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50031001.html

It's Tom Conti's and I love it! For me, it's all about the architectural details (pics 14 and 16) and the history of the place, although this one is waay too big and the kitchen is hideous.

I console myself with the fact that we have some similar features here - Art Nouveau finger plates, a verandah and some of the original fireplaces. We also have the same weathered Lutyens bench (pic 19) and herringbone parquet flooring in two rooms

At the moment though, my searches are concentrated on small, rural properties with a few acres. We miss our last - very rural house - and hope to move again when this one is finished.

For me, the ideal would be to have the best of both worlds - a bolt hole in London and a cosy cottage with acreage in the country.....like a former neighbour of ours in Wiltshire who had a fantastic flat off the Kings Road and a sprawling thatched house in which he spent weekends and holidays. Lucky ***
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 06-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 6th Apr 17, 11:31 AM
    • 8,643 Posts
    • 28,781 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Don't waste your drool on terraced houses when there are French castles you can be fantasising over!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-47195790.html
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 6th Apr 17, 11:39 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,268 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    ?

do you mean normal houses I can't afford or do you mean houses that everyone would drool over as being lovely but unaffordable unless you are the super rich ?

a 3 bed terraced house up north may of course be unaffordable to some, but hardly drool territory

instead, how about 3 acres of private gardens but on the bank of the River Thames with easy access to central London (although too close to a tennis club for my taste)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63420461.html
    Originally posted by eggha
    How about private ocean access and Ina as a neighbor? http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/33-Lily-Pond-Ln-Aka_East-Hampton_NY_11937_M46162-11854
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 6th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Mrs36
    Like LEJC, I usually only drool over fixer uppers as I have some kind of magnet that draws me to abandoned, unloved properties, lol!

Often these are moneypits Arts and Crafts in style, such as the one we're currently sympathetically restoring

One I do have in my RM saved list that I lust after, is this

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50031001.html

It's Tom Conti's and I love it! For me, it's all about the architectural details (pics 14 and 16) and the history of the place, although this one is waay too big and the kitchen is hideous.

I console myself with the fact that we have some similar features here - Art Nouveau finger plates, a verandah and some of the original fireplaces. We also have the same weathered Lutyens bench (pic 19) and herringbone parquet flooring in two rooms

At the moment though, my searches are concentrated on small, rural properties with a few acres. We miss our last - very rural house - and hope to move again when this one is finished.

For me, the ideal would be to have the best of both worlds - a bolt hole in London and a cosy cottage with acreage in the country.....like a former neighbour of ours in Wiltshire who had a fantastic flat off the Kings Road and a sprawling thatched house in which he spent weekends and holidays. Lucky ***
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    That's a beautiful house! The kitchen table and chairs really don't suit it though I love Arts and Crafts houses - any chance we can see pictures of your moneypit?
    • eggha
    • By eggha 6th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    eggha
    Even the relatively modest property I have requires hundreds of hours input and around 2k/pa spent outdoors. I could double that easily and still not be extravagant.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    but my dear boy, one has staff to do that sort of thing, and one houses them in the staff cottage elsewhere so they can do it out of sight
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,766Posts Today

8,761Users online

Martin's Twitter