Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 9,364Posts
    • 30,300Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 66
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    As I've started selling some stuff on ebay again, I thought I'd use some of the proceeds to make some small pads.

Today's pads:

£1.93 to Mortgage
    £1.00 to debt savings
    £3.02 to em savings
    £0.00 to car savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£19,196 - £124 paid

Car savings: Target: £3500/ Achieved: £1100.00 (31.4%)
    • Onefortheroad
    • By Onefortheroad 6th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Onefortheroad
    Hello jwil, thought I'd pop over and say hello to you on your diary, which I must say I have just finished reading. It's so interesting to read about how people's lives carry on and the debt just becomes a part of it, rather than all consuming like it is at the start of the journey. I like the amounts you put to things as well - every penny matters and soon builds up.
    Wishing you a good day
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 18,559 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Well done on the sales, and the bargains.

Hope you're feeling better soon

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Aug 18, 2:10 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Hello jwil, thought I'd pop over and say hello to you on your diary, which I must say I have just finished reading. It's so interesting to read about how people's lives carry on and the debt just becomes a part of it, rather than all consuming like it is at the start of the journey. I like the amounts you put to things as well - every penny matters and soon builds up.
    Wishing you a good day
    Originally posted by Onefortheroad
    Thanks for popping in onefortherad That's brave to read through my waffling

You are right, it's lovely that life goes on once things settle down. I wish I'd got in touch with SC sooner rather than spending years robbing peter to pay paul and being so stressed about it. A couple of years ago my recent eBay 'dry spell' would have put me in a complete panic, wondering how I was going to pay for anything, but now it's more of an annoyance that I don't have the extra cash and not decluttering stuff!

The pads make me feel like I'm paying something off and help keep me motivated. It's been hard not having any spare cash to make them!

Well done on the sales, and the bargains.

Hope you're feeling better soon

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Thank you. I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon thankfully
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    I've had my letter about the lost account. It's a joint savings account for DH and I. I don't know if there's anything in there, but I'm guessing not as it was from when we were saving to buy a house. I expect we emptied it once we did! We have to go in and show ID to get further information. I think we've got a branch in town, hope so!

I've cashed out £4 in amazon vouchers today as well.

Little jwil sorted out his superheroes and has decided to let one go. The rest are now handily displayed on the back of his bedroom door in the shoe rack
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 6th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I've had my letter about the lost account. It's a joint savings account for DH and I. I don't know if there's anything in there, but I'm guessing not as it was from when we were saving to buy a house. I expect we emptied it once we did! We have to go in and show ID to get further information. I think we've got a branch in town, hope so!

I've cashed out £4 in amazon vouchers today as well.

Little jwil sorted out his superheroes and has decided to let one go. The rest are now handily displayed on the back of his bedroom door in the shoe rack
    Originally posted by jwil
    Hi Jwil, Is it a survey site you use to get amazon vouchers?
    I wish DC1 was as good as Little Jwil at letting toys go. He's got a stash of superhero action figures he doesn't play with, which he insists he wants to keep! If I don't see him play with them in the next week or two I'll eBay them!!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi Jwil, Is it a survey site you use to get amazon vouchers?
    I wish DC1 was as good as Little Jwil at letting toys go. He's got a stash of superhero action figures he doesn't play with, which he insists he wants to keep! If I don't see him play with them in the next week or two I'll eBay them!!
    Originally posted by AdventureWanted
    Yes, I get the amazon vouchers from survey sites. Those ones came from Ipsos, they have recently added £2 vouchers which is great as you can cash out regularly!

Little jwil can be quite harsh, then he reclaims items when he sees us trying to sell them at a boot sale. He also remembers EVERYTHING so it's hard to sneak things out! He does get the money for his toys, so it's motivation for him. It's so frustrating when they insist on keeping things they don't use, DH is the worst for that
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Trying to plough my way through toys again today. It's awful!

Little jwil keeps getting distracted and playing, which is fair enough, but I've built up a big pile to get rid of, and have nowhere to put it, and it also means I've got no room to further sort!

I think I've had enough for today so going to try and clean back now, and hopefully carry on next week. We've certainly made progress.
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 7th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    Kitten868
    You definitely have made progress. Well done jwil. And you're totally right about taking control going to step change. As long as you keep going you're winning xxx
    Loan 1 £5400/£8000
    Loan 2 £3400/£5800
    Total £8800/£13800 36% PAID

And CC £1475/1900
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Aug 18, 6:16 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    You definitely have made progress. Well done jwil. And you're totally right about taking control going to step change. As long as you keep going you're winning xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thank you lovely xx
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Aug 18, 6:19 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Another two items sold, so another pad

Today's pads:

£1.53 to Mortgage
    £1.00 to debt savings
    £1.91 to em savings
    £0.00 to car savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£19,195 - £125 paid

Car savings: Target: £3500/ Achieved: £1100.00 (31.4%)[/QUOTE]
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 8th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5,402 Posts
    • 20,308 Thanks
    abba1772
    Well done on the toys it's hard work when they rediscover their toys xx
    NEXT TARGET ARGOS WAS Dec 18 £391.95 NOW £372.50
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £12936.54
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the toys it's hard work when they rediscover their toys xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Yes, especially when we go to a car boot sale to sell them and they decide they are taking them home again!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    I did sell another item yesterday I haven't done any PADs though as nothing is working for me today My email is playing up, my work laptop is playing up, the whole world is against me

It's obviously one of those days for me today, everything is just taking too long and stressing me out.

I'm going to attempt to update the declutter list
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Updated lists:

Decluttering 2018:

1202-1210. Pens
    1211. Gift bag
    1212-1215. Socks
    1216. Trousers
    1217. Book of mosaics
    1218-1229. Toy trains
    1230. Ice scraper
    1231-1240. Shelf brackets
    1241-1243. Shelf rails
    1244. Waterproof trousers
    1245. Overalls
    1246-1247. Valves
    1248-1249. Key fobs
    1250-1251. Sponges
    1252-1260. Sacks of garden waste
    1261. Gift bag
    1262-1315. DVDs
    1316-1317. Superhero figures
    1318. Motorbike toy
    1319. Shoebox of Smurfs
    1320. Lego instructions
    1321-1446. Toy cars
    1447-1448. Crates
    1449-1453. Playsets
    1454. Crate
    1455-1458. Toys
    1459-1463. DVDs

Decluttering 2018 totals:
    Books: 293
    Magazines/papers: 106
    Ebay parcels: 564
    Other: 1463

Total: 2426

Ebay listings: 663

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £99.04
    Paypal/cash: £253.51
    Other vouchers:£39
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Morning everyone

We had a fairly hectic weekend. I made a last minute decision on Saturday to attempt parkrun as penance for missing my run on Friday

I managed it though I might have been almost last, but I was pleased with my time which was about 5 mins faster than I had expected. I've now got a baseline I can try and beat. I'm still aching though It was really nice how supportive people were though, even cheering you on as they were lapping you

After that, we went into town as DH had to go for a medical. We decided to go and reclaim our lost savings account. It was a grand total of £7.82. Higher than I expected but not quite enough to retire on. I'm not sure it was value for money though as it took so long to close the account and cash it in. I did object as to why they wanted all my employment details etc when I was just trying to close an account

Yesterday we had family down so it was a scrabble to clean round and then we were busy for the rest of the day. Family member paid for a meal out which was very kind of them and the meal was lovely so that made a nice change.

Today I'm home with little jwil who just wants to chill out so I should get on with something rather than mess around on here!

No sales for me this weekend, but DH has sold some so they were packed and most posted this morning. Just waiting for a couple to pay up.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Just updated my spending diary. It's a bit of an eye opener! I'm going to build a spreadsheet for it and categorise it. I definitely need to meal plan more!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 30,300 Thanks
    jwil
    Trying to do a Sainsburys uniform order for little jwil with the 25% off. The click and collect isn't working on the website. I've phoned up and it will be fixed later. I hope so! I'm not paying for delivery when I pass a store every time I go to work!
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 14th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Am really impressed jwil. Fantastic work! I don't know how you fit it all in. Great work with the running. Just think how quick you'll be popping to the post office. Xxx
    Loan 1 £5400/£8000
    Loan 2 £3400/£5800
    Total £8800/£13800 36% PAID

And CC £1475/1900
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 14th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 18,559 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Oh thank you I didn't know the 25% off was back on. Will have to have a look

Hope you got it sorted

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,459Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter