Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 9,093Posts
    • 28,762Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 65
    • jwil
    • By jwil 31st Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs jwil
    Originally posted by retiredandskint
    Thank you lovely
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 31st Jul 18, 5:03 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 16,832 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Happy anniversary and enjoy your meal x
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings was £10,000 now £5000/borrowed £5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. £5000/£0
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Aug 18, 6:10 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Happy anniversary and enjoy your meal x
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid
    Thank you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Aug 18, 6:15 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£0.00 to Mortgage
    £0.00 to debt savings
    £0.00 to em savings
    £50.00 to car savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£19,197 - £123 paid

Car savings: Target: £3500/ Achieved: £1100.00 (31.4%)
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Aug 18, 6:18 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Made a payment towards the car.

The meal out was ok last night, wasn't overly impressed TBH. I don't think we'll go back there in a hurry. There were loads of flies around and then they messed up little jwil's order as well.

The spending diary is working. I was going to pop to the shop today, but don't want to so I'm trying to consider alternatives

I've just cashed out £30 from TCB.

I've been out for my run this morning. It doesn't seem to be bothering my knee so far It's getting harder to go out now that the mornings are drawing in though! It's still light at 5am but it's getting darker.

My laptop mouse is playing up and it's really irritating! Will have to google and see if I can figure out what's wrong. It keeps clicking randomly and opening loads of tabs.
    Last edited by jwil; 01-08-2018 at 6:20 AM.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 1st Aug 18, 7:16 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Well done on the run and car payment. You're doing really well. Shame the meal wasn't brilliant.
    As for the mouse, it might just be sticky buttons. Maybe try cleaning round the buttons with a cotton bud? Hope you have a good day .
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the run and car payment. You're doing really well. Shame the meal wasn't brilliant.
    As for the mouse, it might just be sticky buttons. Maybe try cleaning round the buttons with a cotton bud? Hope you have a good day .
    Originally posted by AdventureWanted
    Thank you. I wondered if it might be dirty. I'll give that a go
    • jwil
    • By jwil 2nd Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Happy days, the mortgage will be going up

However, I put in a lost account finder the other week and apparently one has been found. It's with Santander who I've never had an account with so wondering what it is The only one I was aware of only had an odd £1 in it, so I don't think I'll be rich
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 2nd Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Oh lovely jwil I keep writing you things and they disappear or don't work or I get called away from the site on some child emergency. Sorry you've been feeling rubbish. I think we all have those times, especially when nothing seems to be happening with the debt. BUT you're not in any more debt and that car pot is very impressive! You do fantastically. You always find brilliant things for your children to do too. I'm in awe of you still.
    And it does sound like mr jwil is doing well on decluttering. Maybe start putting his house clutter in the garage? Or putting it in his way but not yours?
    Happy 10 year anniversary to you both!
    Loan 1 £5500/£8000
    Loan 2 £3500/£5800
    Total £9000/£13800 35% PAID

And CC £1550/1900
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 2nd Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Kitten868
    And what do you mean you forgot about that £30k you put in Santander 5 years ago?
    Loan 1 £5500/£8000
    Loan 2 £3500/£5800
    Total £9000/£13800 35% PAID

And CC £1550/1900
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Aug 18, 9:30 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Oh lovely jwil I keep writing you things and they disappear or don't work or I get called away from the site on some child emergency. Sorry you've been feeling rubbish. I think we all have those times, especially when nothing seems to be happening with the debt. BUT you're not in any more debt and that car pot is very impressive! You do fantastically. You always find brilliant things for your children to do too. I'm in awe of you still.
    And it does sound like mr jwil is doing well on decluttering. Maybe start putting his house clutter in the garage? Or putting it in his way but not yours?
    Happy 10 year anniversary to you both!
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thank you kitten

The garage is full of his stuff too, and the loft I do dump stuff so that it will be in his way though

And what do you mean you forgot about that £30k you put in Santander 5 years ago?
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Oh, I can but hope Maybe I've got a secret benefactor who opened an account for me years ago!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 3rd Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 6,485 Posts
    • 24,225 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Happy belated Anniversary, sorry the meal was rubbish.

Well done on the car payment.

Hope that the bank account has something reasonable in it for you and not 50p

Have a lovely weekend x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £5860.00 BC: £395.64 Cap One: GONE Lloyds: £10,150.00
    OD £0/£500 LC £150/£1500 Washer £50/£309.99
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £7219.86/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £344.80/£400
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    DH did a fantastic job in the garden yesterday, clearing back some of the overgrown stuff. It looks so much better and we can think about making the space more usable now.

I've done really well with my spending this week, in that until today I'd only spent on fuel and £10 towards the meal out the other day (we had some money given to us, so DH and I split the rest). Today I went in to buy my lunch and a few bits (I try and take lunch the rest of the week, but treat myself on Friday, it's something to consider for the future). Spent £8.10.

At long last we've heard about the restructure at work. It looks like for now my job is safe. I am relieved, but some of my colleagues are at risk, so it's not nice

I did my run this morning, another 1lb off too That's 10lb lost now just making small changes.

My only item currently selling on ebay, I had a request to cancel the bid this morning Hope it all picks up soon!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Happy belated Anniversary, sorry the meal was rubbish.

Well done on the car payment.

Hope that the bank account has something reasonable in it for you and not 50p

Have a lovely weekend x
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Thank you Hey, I'm hoping for a £1

Have a lovely day

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Thank you, you too
    • jwil
    • By jwil 4th Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Woo hoo, I've actually sold some stuff on ebay 8 lots Hopefully my dry spell is coming to an end. Going to get those packed and posted today. One is a bundle of books, so that will clear some space

I've got 4 days off now, so planning on tackling toys with the kids. I'm going to use some of my RM survey vouchers and some of my ebay money to buy some storage boxes for their unit. The ones we have on there are quite small, and there aren't enough of them. Hopefully we'll get a lot more in these ones, and with a bit of decluttering, hopefully we can get the majority of toys off the floor.

DH took the kids Gromit spotting again yesterday whilst I was working. They managed to see another 23, so we've ticked off 40/67. That will probably be it now, but he bought tickets for the roundup where they put all of them together, so we'll be able to see all the rest in September.

Little jwil has a party later (again!).

Have a good weekend everyone
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 4th Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 31,158 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Wish I could go gromit spotting. We once tracked down a lot of the elephant parade elephants in London. It was fun.
    Glad the eBay drought has come to an end. I'm working up to checking on line banking to see what my mortgage will increase by. Whatever it is, it already feels like too much.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £74,121.52, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £307.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £860/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    Wish I could go gromit spotting. We once tracked down a lot of the elephant parade elephants in London. It was fun.
    Glad the eBay drought has come to an end. I'm working up to checking on line banking to see what my mortgage will increase by. Whatever it is, it already feels like too much.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    I like doing the trails, it's good fun. There's an owl trail in Bath too, but we haven't made it to that one yet.

My mortgage company were quick enough to send an email telling us the rate would be going up. We haven't had final confirmation yet. I think it's about £15 if I remember correctly. Still £15 I could do without!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    I had a very spendy day yesterday. Must make sure I write it all down in my spending diary!

I got the storage for the kids, and also a shoe door hanger thing that can be used to store their action figures. I used my love to shop vouchers so saved £5.

Then grocery shopping. I spent more, but had to buy nappies and got some underwear for both kiddies as little jwil is growing out of his, and little miss is getting ready for potty training.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 28,762 Thanks
    jwil
    We went for a wander around the car boot yesterday. I must add my spends to the diary, keep forgetting

£5 on a black bag full of Duplo
    50p on some flash cards
    40p on two books

Spending diary all up to date.

Another two parcels posted today, another bundle of books and dvds gone

Little jwil has this morning looked through all the kids DVDs and put a big pile to go.

I haven't been for my run today as I was feeling ill during the night. I don't feel great today, but think it's tiredness rather than anything else. Frustrating as I'm off work so was hoping to get some stuff done. I'll plod on and see how I get on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,551Users online

Martin's Twitter