Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8,988Posts
    • 28,342Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 63
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 5th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Hope you're having a good week Jwil .
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi Jwil . It's disappointing about the f&f refusal but they'll crack eventually. Are you doing token payments?

Hope your bruise gets better, it's horrible falling over . I've got a bruise on my forehead atm where I walked into a wall at my dad's house (half asleep and strange layout in the dark ).
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Yes, they've been getting token payments for almost 2 years, and erratic payments for a while before that!

Hope your bruise is healing. Mine's going down now thankfully.

Don't forget you can getcashback on groupon.
    Originally posted by in need of direction

Thank you, I've never used Groupon before so wouldn't even think about looking for cashback!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jul 18, 1:34 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you're having a good week Jwil .
    Originally posted by AdventureWanted
    Thank you. It was crazy busy at work, nothing exciting
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jul 18, 1:41 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm back

Crazy week over, a bit more to come then that's it until after the summer. I've got some time off coming up so looking forward to that.

I've sent off the dates I want little jwil to be in Holiday Club for, so that's going to be around £200 next month

I've done lots of listing, but not much is shifting for me annoyingly I need some cash! I don't know whether to reduce prices and shift now, or suck it up until the autumn when the demand is likely to increase due to Xmas. I might have a think about what may be suitable for Xmas pressies and what won't be.

I've been keeping up with couch to 5k and am on week 8 now. One more week to go and then I will restart it. I've been running some of it to see if my knee gets used to it, and it seems to be holding up ok.

I'm getting a bit stressed about cash as there seems to be so much expense at the moment. The selling isn't covering it at the moment. I'm just counting down until little miss gets her free hours and hopefully things will be a bit easier.

Hope everyone is well I like the sun, but it's WAY too hot for me, so I'm not enjoying this heat. I like a nice 20 degrees.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 34,504 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I don't like this heat either because it's very draining. I hope some things start to sell for you soon.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Jul 18, 6:16 AM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    I don't like this heat either because it's very draining. I hope some things start to sell for you soon.
    Thank you, I hope so too! It's been so muggy the last couple of nights, I have hardly slept. It's supposed to be a bit fresher tonight thankfully!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jul 18, 11:24 AM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    I've been trying to catch up on some admin this week.

I've registered mine and DH's details with my lost account to see what they come up with. I know I've got an old building society account which probably had about £1 in it, and DH recently found an old passbook from the early 1990s which had about £400 in it! Hopefully they will come back with something!

I've received a £5 love to shop voucher from RM surveys, and have cashed out a couple of £2 amazon vouchers from Ipsos. I've also cashed out on PA so waiting for that to arrive.

I've got a load of stuff prepped for listing so need to try and get that on, and DH has a load prepped too so will try and have a listing marathon.

I miss not doing PADs but I just have no spare cash at the moment. I think I need to revisit my SOA and maybe start a spending diary. I have been a bit spendy recently and all those 'little' spends are probably adding up to big spends.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jul 18, 11:30 AM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    Oh, DH got a charge for a parcel he sent using Hermes through eBay shutl. Managed to appeal it and get the charge removed The parcel was most definitely not oversized or overweight as I check the weight and size on the website before posting!

I booked little jwil onto holiday club. They've sent the invoices out already I'll pay the one for July straight away, but they can wait until payday for the August one. One of the days there is a trip which little jwil wants to go on so that will be an additional £16
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    Finally got round to checking my freezer for the recalled vegetables. Although I normally buy the ones on the list, it happens that my frozen veg is currently from Asda and Iceland. Asda isn't on the list, and I have taken the executive decision to bin the Iceland one that is on the list rather than return it. I'd have to pay to park and it's not worth my while.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 34,504 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I ought to check my freezer although I don't think I've bought any of the ones on the list. Those extra spends can easily creep in .
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    I ought to check my freezer although I don't think I've bought any of the ones on the list. Those extra spends can easily creep in .
    There's so much needed for school at the moment, and the kids seem to be outgrowing everything all at once!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jul 18, 1:29 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    I decided we'd mainly eat from the freezer this week, to try and clear them out a bit. So I went and did a bit of shopping, and still spent £25 I've barely bought anything. I really need to get myself organised and do some meal planning.

I feel so disorganised and out of sorts at the moment.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 34,504 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're probably tired Jwil. Take it easy over the weekend and hopefully you'll feel better.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    You're probably tired Jwil. Take it easy over the weekend and hopefully you'll feel better.
    Thank you HHD, I'm in a foul mood today, so it hasn't improved
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    We took the kids out on Saturday, we went to Okehampton and took them on the Dartmoor Railway. Met up with a friend and had a picnic in the park. Then a drive back across Dartmoor. I love it there

Yesterday we made a last minute decision to sell at a local boot sale. We did quite well considering it's a fairly quiet one. We took the van so we managed to get everything out and see what we had, and do a bit of condensing. After we've done another couple it will be time for a cull and some stuff will head off to charity.

When we got home I defrosted our second freezer. Decided while it was hot, I'd do it as it should be quicker. There was a serious build up of ice! Luckily that's all done, I've done an inventory and we are going to try and eat down some of the food and replace it with fresh now.

Not much movement on ebay, 5 parcels posted today, only one was mine. Hoping sales will pick up once the weather gets a bit cooler and the kids are off.

I've started my final week of couch to 5k today. Only 2 walks left, then I hope to restart with running. However, my knees are aching a lot at the moment, so not sure if I will have to put it off for a bit longer.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Jul 18, 12:51 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    Moany post alert

I'm really out of sorts at the moment, I don't feel like I'm achieving anything. I'm skint and there's so much needs paying out. I really need to revisit my SOA and start a spending diary to ensure it's accurate.

I've nearly KM'd all of my stuff, (I keep stalling at photos), but need to revisit it. The house is still a mess though, mostly with DH's stuff He knows it is annoying me, but is full of even more excuses than me He keeps pulling stuff to go from the garage and loft, which is fine, and I appreciate, but it's not the cause of the day to day hassle with stuff everywhere. I don't go in the garage or loft, so they don't affect me. He's got a week off soon, so I'm hoping he'll make some progress.

Little jwil told me yesterday he wants to look through his toys and decide what he wants to sell so he can have the money He's a ruthless mercenary, I'll be surprised if anything is left

I've spent the last 9 weeks doing the couch to 5k, and don't feel like I've achieved much. I've definitely improved my general fitness, but my knee is bothering me so I still feel like I'm creaking. Where I can now run a bit (subject to knee), I am really bad at brisk walking and am quite slow. Does anyone have any tips for speeding up? I try and walk briskly but just gradually get slower without really being aware of it. At least if I run, it's a constant effort. I just can't seem to make the same effort with walking.

I'm also trying to lose weight, but it costs a lot more and takes a lot more effort. I've done quite well with reducing my snacking, but am struggling to stick to a decent budget, even taking into account I'm not buying the chocolate etc! I'm struggling for lunch ideas at work. I'm bored of salads and sandwiches.

That got that off my chest, sorry if you read all that. I guess for most of it I just need to sit down and spend some time sorting myself out, sort out my SOA, and do some proper meal planning.
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 16th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Hi Jwil, sorry you're feeling out of sorts at the moment. I sympathise with how you feel about your house, as it's exactly how I feel about ours. My DH also has a desire to sort out the loft and garage rather than areas which will ease our day to day living. I don't really have any advice, other than to say you are doing brilliantly decluttering and you must have made such a difference to your house since you started. I know that doesn't really help when you feel you've still got more to do, but you are making great improvements all at the same time as working and looking after a family.

As for the walking, could you try listening to a faster song when walking so that it helps increase your pace? Alternatively have you tried hiit workouts (e.g Joe wicks the body coach or Kayla Itsines bbg workouts)? They are usually only 20 mins and are an all over workout. You might find it gentler on your knee.

Anyway, just wanted to pop by and say you are doing brilliantly. I hope that the rest of the month treats you well.x
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Me too. Its hard when you dont feel like youre making progress. Yes listen to a fast track or just try and and pick up your pace so you are out of breath. That should help. Maybe also pound the stairs in the evening? A few flights up and down should help (if your knee can take it!)

My OH also has blind spots. Maybe just relax? (Know easier said than done..) Am sure he will come round. Maybe vocalise it and say how much it would mean if he made your living space more liveable in...telepathy is not as common a skill as one might hope
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal £88/£750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    PS..top marks to little jwil...am liking his style
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal £88/£750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 28,342 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi Jwil, sorry you're feeling out of sorts at the moment. I sympathise with how you feel about your house, as it's exactly how I feel about ours. My DH also has a desire to sort out the loft and garage rather than areas which will ease our day to day living. I don't really have any advice, other than to say you are doing brilliantly decluttering and you must have made such a difference to your house since you started. I know that doesn't really help when you feel you've still got more to do, but you are making great improvements all at the same time as working and looking after a family.

As for the walking, could you try listening to a faster song when walking so that it helps increase your pace? Alternatively have you tried hiit workouts (e.g Joe wicks the body coach or Kayla Itsines bbg workouts)? They are usually only 20 mins and are an all over workout. You might find it gentler on your knee.

Anyway, just wanted to pop by and say you are doing brilliantly. I hope that the rest of the month treats you well.x
    Originally posted by AdventureWanted
    Thank you The house definitely is better, I must remember that. It's just the slow progress (and not doing the bits which matter!) which annoy me.

I will try and come up with some faster music, good suggestion. I'd really like to do the c25k, but I won't want to go out once the mornings are dark, so I will look up those workouts - that's exactly the sort of length I'd like, and I could do with some all body workouts. Brilliant, thank you

Me too. Its hard when you dont feel like youre making progress. Yes listen to a fast track or just try and and pick up your pace so you are out of breath. That should help. Maybe also pound the stairs in the evening? A few flights up and down should help (if your knee can take it!)

My OH also has blind spots. Maybe just relax? (Know easier said than done..) Am sure he will come round. Maybe vocalise it and say how much it would mean if he made your living space more liveable in...telepathy is not as common a skill as one might hope
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Great suggestions Brizzle, thank you I don't think my knee would take the stairs as that's when it is most painful, but we've got a shallow step in the garden, that might be a little easier to do some stepping on and then I could progress to the stairs. We've also got a big hill at the back of the house, I've been adding it on to my walk periodically, I should do that more often

You are right about DH. He comes from a family of hoarders, so I need to be more patient. He is trying. He knows my thoughts about the house, I vocalise it regularly in rants however, if I sat down and actually requested something specific he'd probably respond.

Actually, he's very supportive of my exercising, maybe if I asked him to clear the space in the front room so I could have enough room to do the DVD, that might work It would also mean we've got one clear room which would be lovely!

PS..top marks to little jwil...am liking his style
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Me too He can be harsh when he's decluttering! That's my boy

Anyway, thank you both, I appreciate the suggestions and you've both given me food for thought.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,892Posts Today

6,751Users online

Martin's Twitter