Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8,684Posts
    • 26,904Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 57
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th May 18, 7:06 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£1.69 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to debt savings
    £1.97 to em savings
    £2.00 to car savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,808 - £512 paid

Car savings: Target: £3500/ Achieved: £709.00 (20.3%)
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    I managed to do a load of listing yesterday so fingers crossed for some sales

It was a nice but breezy day so did all the bedding/towels etc and dried them all on the line.

I caught up with surveys and got to cashout on PA.

Not sure what the plan for this weekend is. Little jwil has another party. We probably ought to do another boot sale but I'm exhausted and not sure I can be bothered. I think I need to start looking at my health, as I seem to be a bit run down which probably isn't helping.

I feel like I'm just treading water and not getting anywhere. I know I just need to be patient and I should be able to make better inroads next year. It's hard to be patient though when nothing's really moving.

I've booked little jwil in to holiday club for 2 days over half term. I'll be off work, but he's never been before, so I want him to get used to it while I'm available if need be, rather than if I'm stuck at work. They are doing some activities he wants to try, so that is additional cost, but if it helps him settle then I'm happy to pay it. It will also be nice for me to have a couple of days to myself!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 31,965 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'd have a break from car booting this weekend, you don't want to get too run down. It's a good idea to let little jwil try holiday club whilst you're available, but hopefully he'll love it.

It is frustrating waiting for progress sometimes, I feel like we're forever waiting for someone to pay us . It's hard to be patient but stay focused and you will get there.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th May 18, 8:20 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    I'd have a break from car booting this weekend, you don't want to get too run down. It's a good idea to let little jwil try holiday club whilst you're available, but hopefully he'll love it.

It is frustrating waiting for progress sometimes, I feel like we're forever waiting for someone to pay us . It's hard to be patient but stay focused and you will get there.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks HHD. I'm going to go, but have tomorrow off from it.

It's so demotivating when nothing's going on.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    After my moping yesterday, I've decided to get on with it! Had a chat with DH, and we need to get focussed. Some of the ideas I 'planted' a while back seem to have been accepted so that's progress. (DH automatically rejects any suggestion I make, I've long learnt just to accept the rejection and let him come to the idea in his own time ) I always get my way eventually

So we have decided we are going to take the van and the car today, pay for two pitches and take absolutely everything we've got. We will spread it all out, and while we are there sort through it all and allocate a load of stuff to go. If it doesn't sell today, there will be a nice load to go to charity etc. Then hopefully we will have some more space to add new things and get some more out of the house.

Tomorrow little jwil has a party so I won't be doing any car booting and so after that will have a quiet day at home.

Two of my items I listed on Thursday are selling very well! I'm very pleased considering they've still got a week to go. One is already over 3 times what I listed it for, and I always list for the minimum I'm happy to let it go for, so would have been happy at minimum bid!

Have a good weekend everyone
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Fab idea. How did it go?

Weather here now is lush, have been in garden for a bit, very nice.
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29% May 25% June] 2018 Income Goal £76/£750 July Goals: AFDs 11/25; Declutter 60 items 07/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 05/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 13th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    Kitten868
    I'm very jealous - that sounds brilliant. Tell him would he rather bring it back in the house or just drop it off at a charity. Obviously stressing how much harder it'll be to bring it home. Meanwhile I'm here with 6 drills, old uniform, a boxing bag...
    And yay on the eBay!
    You're just waiting for them to get bored of your debts not the other way around you are so so right when you told me before. Another year and you'll have decent savings to see which debtor has run out of patience. Xxx
    Loan 1 £5800/£8000
    Loan 2 £3800/£5800
    Total £9600/£13800 30% PAID
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th May 18, 1:50 PM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    Fab idea. How did it go?

Weather here now is lush, have been in garden for a bit, very nice.
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    It went well thanks Brizzle. It's been lovely weather, long may it continue!

I'm very jealous - that sounds brilliant. Tell him would he rather bring it back in the house or just drop it off at a charity. Obviously stressing how much harder it'll be to bring it home. Meanwhile I'm here with 6 drills, old uniform, a boxing bag...
    And yay on the eBay!
    You're just waiting for them to get bored of your debts not the other way around you are so so right when you told me before. Another year and you'll have decent savings to see which debtor has run out of patience. Xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    I'm really itching to do some F&F, not that I've got the money to. I just want to clear another debt. I will be patient though!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    We did quite well at the boot sale on Saturday, we didn't manage to go through everything, but have a box of books to go, a bag of stuff which we will just bin and probably the equivalent of two boxes for charity. DH will drop that off this weekend, and then hopefully we will have some space in the van to add more stuff now! We will look at the remaining stuff as we go.

We are not going to sell this weekend, not sure it will be worth it with the wedding and the FA cup, so we are not going to traipse all that way.

Hopefully we will get some stuff sorted around the house instead.

We had some good sales this weekend, so 15 parcels left yesterday I should have some good sales this week too. Must keep up the momentum!

I've cancelled another survey site, they keep sending me invites but I'm not the target audience any more. It's a shame as they fairly regularly sent around £5 surveys. I've got one more in my sights to cancel once I reach cashout, and then I shall focus on the few I find easier to cash out on. I might whittle these down further too in the future.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Well done jwil. Decluttering AND income earnt. Happy days xx
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29% May 25% June] 2018 Income Goal £76/£750 July Goals: AFDs 11/25; Declutter 60 items 07/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 05/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done jwil. Decluttering AND income earnt. Happy days xx
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Thanks Brizzle
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th May 18, 7:51 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£1.23 to Mortgage
    £1.00 to debt savings
    £1.22 to em savings
    £3.00 to car savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,807 - £513 paid

Car savings: Target: £3500/ Achieved: £712.00 (20.3%)
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    2 more parcels posted today.

We've had a letter through the door saying one of the local charities is doing a collection tomorrow, so we are going to put out everything we put aside from the car boot sale. There's quite a bit, plus I have some clothing to add, so we'll put it out, and if they take it all, great, if not, then we will take it at the weekend. It's a charity we are very supportive of, and one of our friends is currently using their services so close to our hearts. Very good timing!
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 16th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    Kitten868
    How totally perfect! So much easier to part with it when it's a charity you support that will use the stuff. You're really going for it full throttle. You can't clear a debt right now but maybe you can focus on getting a particular room totally clear of clutter and redone? And sending a cheeky f&f won't change anything. They will say yes or no. Then go back to paying as normal x
    Loan 1 £5800/£8000
    Loan 2 £3800/£5800
    Total £9600/£13800 30% PAID
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 31,965 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're doing really well with the selling and decluttering. I love getting rid of clutter, I get a real kick out of dropping off a load of tat at the charity shop and knowing it's gone from my life forever.

It does also give you something positive to focus on while you're waiting for the debts to go down .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 16th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 14,341 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    You're doing amazing, don't lose sight of how well you have done

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th May 18, 8:10 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£1.23 to Mortgage
    £1.00 to debt savings
    £1.16 to em savings
    £1.00 to car savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,806 - £514 paid

Car savings: Target: £3500/ Achieved: £713.00 (20.4%)
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    How totally perfect! So much easier to part with it when it's a charity you support that will use the stuff. You're really going for it full throttle. You can't clear a debt right now but maybe you can focus on getting a particular room totally clear of clutter and redone? And sending a cheeky f&f won't change anything. They will say yes or no. Then go back to paying as normal x
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thank you. I really don't have enough in savings yet, so I will stay strong!

You're doing really well with the selling and decluttering. I love getting rid of clutter, I get a real kick out of dropping off a load of tat at the charity shop and knowing it's gone from my life forever.

It does also give you something positive to focus on while you're waiting for the debts to go down .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    It is really satisfying

You're doing amazing, don't lose sight of how well you have done

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Thank you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    I phoned up the charity yesterday to check they could take rags, as the letter said good quality stuff. They said yes, so there's a massive bag of clothing and rags, a banana box full of books, a bag full of bits and pieces out there ready to be taken

I've just thought of a couple of things I might sneak out too while DH isn't here
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 8,684 Posts
    • 26,904 Thanks
    jwil
    I didn't manage to sneak the bits out as they came too early. All that stuff is gone though, so that's good and saves us a trip this weekend.

I'm in the middle of an epic listing frenzy. 35 done so far! Just about to finish though as I've had enough! I've still got some more to do but will do them maybe at the weekend.

I got my last lot of stamps and presentation pack from RM surveys today. I'm quite relieved to have a break for a while now, though it would be nice to get back on it again in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,534Posts Today

8,482Users online

Martin's Twitter