Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8,997Posts
    • 28,379Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 54
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    A few more parcels posted today. I've got one more bulky item to go tomorrow and one unpaid item which the case will close tomorrow so it doesn't look like they are going to pay.

DH has (finally!) been going through his listings and pulling off some long term stuff to send to car boot/charity and also revising some listings, and putting stuff into bulk. It will be nice to see the quantity going down a bit! He tends to have a set price he wants for something and leaves it on there forever, whereas I will reduce my price gradually to shift stuff.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Apr 18, 8:01 AM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£1.75 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to debt savings
    £1.00 to em savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,170 - £1150 paid
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    Bulky parcel posted this morning Another item has sold today as well which is good.

Finished with Russian history for now, so am today revisiting Narnia. It's been a long time since I've read this series!

We are going through yet another restructure at work. There have been some voluntary redundancies, so my job is safe, but I'm not sure I like the way my job is going, so am thinking what to do. My problem is I feel trapped as I'm in a good job and with a good pension. I feel like I shouldn't give it up as I wouldn't get anything similar. I'd like to get sorted financially, but because of childcare, it's not happening fast.

I could change jobs to avoid the childcare, but then I wouldn't have the wage, so would be no better off.

I need to keep reminding myself that little miss will be getting her free hours next year, which should help, and then in 2 years she will be at school so I could revisit then. I'm just not sure I want to stay in this job that long!

I know that DH would be against me leaving this job too, so I'd have to have a decent plan.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 17th Apr 18, 4:29 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    My two pennies worth!

I'm in a stable, fairly well-paid job and I often feel a bit like I'm ready to move on. But we're still recovering from buying a house and my maternity leave and in two years time LO will be at school and we'll have nearly no childcare costs and I'll be able to work more or change jobs as we'll be in a stronger financial position and the children won't need me as much.

Can you stick it until LO starts school?
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    My two pennies worth!

I'm in a stable, fairly well-paid job and I often feel a bit like I'm ready to move on. But we're still recovering from buying a house and my maternity leave and in two years time LO will be at school and we'll have nearly no childcare costs and I'll be able to work more or change jobs as we'll be in a stronger financial position and the children won't need me as much.

Can you stick it until LO starts school?
    Originally posted by remote_control
    Thank you remote-control. I appreciate the input! You are completely right, and I should stick it at least until little miss starts school.

I've been thinking about it all afternoon since I posted. I worked out what I'd need to earn without childcare, and it would still be a reasonable amount. I've got a good pension scheme, I can build up flexi time, and my employer are generally very good and reasonable when the kids are ill etc. I'd be so foolish to give it up right now. If I stay where I am, I'll be able to tackle the debts much easier when the childcare bill reduces.

I'm not keen on what I'm doing right now, but I know there's a big project coming up in a couple of years which I am quite experienced in, and I am sure I'll be heavily involved in. That should be more interesting and I should stick around to see that out.

It's just little things make me sad. Two nights I don't get home until bedtime. Little jwil keeps asking me why he can't walk to school. I feel so guilty about this, as it's how it should be, but I've got to go in one direction to drop little miss at nursery, the other direction to drop him at school, and then I've got to go 4 miles to the office (and I have to have the car for work). If I walk him to school, it's 30 mins each way from home, so I'd be that much later to get to the office, and therefore later getting home.

I try and save my flexi for if they are ill, but maybe I'll have to take a day so that he can walk to school. He might find that he never wants to do it again
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 17th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    There's always something to feel guilty about. Sounds to me like you are doing a pretty brilliant job with your two, and there's no such thing as perfect parenting. Whatever choices you make exclude others. Don't beat yourself up (but I like the idea of teaching DS the important lesson of "be careful what you wish for" )

Re the job, my impression from your diary is that it doesn't cause you undue levels of stress and logistical complexity, is a decent enough place to work, you are well rewarded, and have a good bit of flexibility. The risk is that something more challenging/stimulating might come at the price of losing some of those benefits. With very young kids that's a pretty tricky balance.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1101.51

AFD June 8/15 NSD June 5/11

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 18th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    Kitten868
    I think jobs just aren't as good as they used to be. No pay rises or promotions. It's taken away any way of rewarding loyalty. I hate my job. I moan all the time. BUT as I've been there so long they have to give me the hours I want. So I stay. It's just about money coming in and no gaps on the cv. I have too much to risk and too many needs going forward. Urgh. If my work gave me a decent bonus id be a much happier camper.
    I only work 3 days a week and before that 2 and before that 3. My eldest says to me, "mummy why can't you be like mummy pig and be at home?" And also "do you work because you don't love us enough?" I don't even work much and I get that so you have nothing to worry about. I'm jealous of you!
    It makes me so happy to hear when big things leave your house. Isn't that crazy? Feel like I'm constantly putting things in carrier bags for the charity or in the bin. I'm always putting things in the bin. Apparently no one else in my house knows how. But once it's actually gone I feel so good.
    Keep up the good work xxx
    Loan 1 £5500/£8000
    Loan 2 £3500/£5800
    Total £9000/£13800 35% PAID

And CC £1550/1900
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    There's always something to feel guilty about. Sounds to me like you are doing a pretty brilliant job with your two, and there's no such thing as perfect parenting. Whatever choices you make exclude others. Don't beat yourself up (but I like the idea of teaching DS the important lesson of "be careful what you wish for" )

Re the job, my impression from your diary is that it doesn't cause you undue levels of stress and logistical complexity, is a decent enough place to work, you are well rewarded, and have a good bit of flexibility. The risk is that something more challenging/stimulating might come at the price of losing some of those benefits. With very young kids that's a pretty tricky balance.
    Originally posted by mfmaybe
    Thank you MF. You are completely right. I'd be silly to give it up. Whilst I am teaching little jwil to be careful what he wishes for, I should also teach myself that the grass isn't always greener!

I think jobs just aren't as good as they used to be. No pay rises or promotions. It's taken away any way of rewarding loyalty. I hate my job. I moan all the time. BUT as I've been there so long they have to give me the hours I want. So I stay. It's just about money coming in and no gaps on the cv. I have too much to risk and too many needs going forward. Urgh. If my work gave me a decent bonus id be a much happier camper.
    I only work 3 days a week and before that 2 and before that 3. My eldest says to me, "mummy why can't you be like mummy pig and be at home?" And also "do you work because you don't love us enough?" I don't even work much and I get that so you have nothing to worry about. I'm jealous of you!
    It makes me so happy to hear when big things leave your house. Isn't that crazy? Feel like I'm constantly putting things in carrier bags for the charity or in the bin. I'm always putting things in the bin. Apparently no one else in my house knows how. But once it's actually gone I feel so good.
    Keep up the good work xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thanks kitten. I feel bad that I don't get to spend enough time with them, but luckily they don't say that to me!

I think I'm just fed up as nothing is moving fast - debts aren't going down much, savings aren't going up much. I'm still skint! I will stay where I am. I do have a good deal where I am and I should remember that, and next year, hopefully I'll be able to make some progress!

That made me chuckle, you being pleased when bulky stuff leaves. I always am too But it never seems to make space in the house! It's still satisfying though, and everything that leaves makes me feel better
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm still moping away today, but I will snap out of it soon! It's glorious out there today, loving the sun! Hopefully it will last for a bit.

I discovered yesterday that Ipsos have £2 amazon vouchers for 200 points so cashed out 3 which meant I could get season 2 of Shetland on prime for a small amount. We started watching that last night.

Finished 'The Magician's Nephew and have started on 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe'. I always enjoy them much more than I remember.

One parcel posted today
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 11,927 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The Magicians Nephew is such a clever book - my favourite of the series.
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 18th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 4,544 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    I can only agree with what the others have said jwil. We're coming out of what, seems like a long miserable winter, which doesn't help. There is light at the end of the tunnel, debts will be cleared, clutter will be gone and miss jwil will be going to school.

You do sterling work and children will always push those buttons to make you feel guilty. If you walked jwil jnr to school everyday he'd want to know why you could drive him there
    Last edited by retiredandskint; 18-04-2018 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Predictive text
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    The Magicians Nephew is such a clever book - my favourite of the series.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Yes, it's really good

I can only agree with what the others have said jwil. We're coming out of what, seems like a long miserable winter, which doesn't help. There is light at the end of the tunnel, debts will be cleared, clutter will be gone and miss jwil will be going to school.

You do sterling work and children will always push those buttons to make you feel guilty. If you walked jwil jnr to school everyday he'd want to know why you could drive him there
    Originally posted by retiredandskint
    Thanks retired. I don't think the weather helps. I was moping today though as I had to go to work and so haven't seen the sun

Very true about little jwil, he would be complaining about the walk. Actually, you've reminded me, we did walk when he was doing his half days, he complained about that then
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You will always feel guilty as a parent whatever you do, but a good job will help you to become debt free sooner and build up financial stability for your family.

We're all ready for a bit of Spring, it's been a long hard winter.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • jwil
    • By jwil 19th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    You will always feel guilty as a parent whatever you do, but a good job will help you to become debt free sooner and build up financial stability for your family.

We're all ready for a bit of Spring, it's been a long hard winter.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Yes, and I'm trying to remember this now. Loving the sun at last, hoping it stays for a while!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 19th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    Little jwil got his wish today. I walked down to school with little miss in the pushchair and took their scooters so they could scoot home. He was so happy bless him. There is one point where we have to walk up a very steep hill. I was pushing the pushchair with little miss in it and carrying the scooters and school stuff, so I stopped for a breather for a second. Little jwil said ďkeep going mummy, just pretend you are reading a bookĒ
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 19th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Awww, kids are so funny and cute sometimes .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 24th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    That!!!8217;s a lovely story jwil... love it

Enjoy your day x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal £88/£750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 24th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 15,501 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Little Jwil sounds amazing, you're doing a brilliant job remember that!

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • jwil
    • By jwil 25th Apr 18, 6:51 AM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    Thanks guys
    • jwil
    • By jwil 25th Apr 18, 6:54 AM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£3.97 to Mortgage
    £1.00 to debt savings
    £0.54 to em savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,169 - £1151 paid
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

530Posts Today

4,822Users online

Martin's Twitter