Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8,520Posts
    • 26,068Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 52
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Apr 18, 8:35 AM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£1.87 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to debt savings
    £1.13 to em savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,181 - £1139 paid
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    I love it when you get loads done. Three of the kids have gone to their dad's for the weekend and my ex is going to take the youngest two for the day tomorrow, so tomorrow there will only be me and the oldest at home and she pretty much sorts herself out. This doesn't happen often so I plan on making the most of the day. Will do lots of tidying and sorting and cleaning and probably go to the gym for a bit. I can't wait and you getting your list done has spurred me on for the day!

Enjoy the rest of your child free day!
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids
    Thank you, it's very satisfying!

Have a good day today

Blimey you're on fire Jwil, what a productive day .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks HHD, I calmed down after that, and did a bit of reading
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Apr 18, 4:14 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    Went out to the car boot sale this morning. I misbehaved

Now that I am coming to the end of my never-ending 'to be read' pile, I have started looking at books again. Today I bought a collection of 16 Charles Dickens books I only paid £3 for them so it's not so bad, but it will take me ages to get through them. I also bought 4 books for little miss (80p) some dressing up shoes (10p), binoculars for little jwil (50p) and kids sunglasses (10p).
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 8th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 1,713 Thanks
    Chrystal
    That's not misbehaving..... that's being Absolute bargains
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• jwil
    • By jwil 9th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    That's not misbehaving..... that's being Absolute bargains
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Aww thank you Not really needed though. You can remind me of this when I'm next moaning about the clutter
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Wow what an amazing bargain, I would have gone for it too
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £560.59/Emergency Fund 2 = £0.21/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Apr 18, 7:41 AM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    Wow what an amazing bargain, I would have gone for it too
    I've just worked it out, I paid 18.75p each for them. I sell my books for 20p at the car boot sale. Once I've read them and sold them I'll be in profit by 20p They were in unread condition, I couldn't pass it up
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Apr 18, 7:50 AM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£2.75 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to debt savings
    £5.35 to em savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,179 - £1141 paid

We had a good weekend in sales, 11 parcels posted yesterday, another 6 today, and a few still to pay up. A few bulky things gone including one which I've miscalculated the postage on and means we've made about £1 on it Definitely not worth the hassle, but at least it's gone, and at least I didn't pay them to have it, which I've done before

I've received £13.95 from a survey site today, and cashed in from PA so awaiting that too.

My 'save the change' account is up to £3.05 already Although they sent over £1.40 so I'm not sure how that works as I thought it was meant to be rounded up to the nearest £1. It shows how quickly it can grow though, and I can dip into it anytime, so if I'm left short I can get it back without penalty. It will be nice to see it grow though!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Apr 18, 7:36 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    £5.13 received from PA today.

We've had the proofs back from the nursery photos and they are lovely We've never been that happy with them before. They did a sitting with them both individually, and then one with them together. They are so flipping expensive, so we'll just have to pick one of each or something.
    Last edited by jwil; 10-04-2018 at 7:38 PM.
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 10th Apr 18, 8:41 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 4,493 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    I've never understood the pricing of school photos. They know parents will want to buy them so have a captive audience. They were expensive when mine were at school and my baby is 43 by
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's so hard not to buy nursery/school photos, especially when they come out well, and they are sooooo expensive. It's like a license to print money!
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £560.59/Emergency Fund 2 = £0.21/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    I've never understood the pricing of school photos. They know parents will want to buy them so have a captive audience. They were expensive when mine were at school and my baby is 43 by
    Originally posted by retiredandskint
    It's so hard not to buy nursery/school photos, especially when they come out well, and they are sooooo expensive. It's like a license to print money!
    They really are cashing in on a captive audience. Our photos always have loads of junk in the background, so it's nice to have some decent quality ones. I'll have to have a close look and see what's best value
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Apr 18, 7:36 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    I've had an awards notice from tax credits. It looks like as it stands at the moment, they should be recovering the overpayment from this years payments This might change as I've estimated a higher income this year, but if they could even recover some of it from this year without me having to find the cash to pay it back that would be helpful!

Two more items sold today for DH
    Last edited by jwil; 11-04-2018 at 7:38 PM.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 12th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 24,698 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    £5.13 received from PA today.

We've had the proofs back from the nursery photos and they are lovely We've never been that happy with them before. They did a sitting with them both individually, and then one with them together. They are so flipping expensive, so we'll just have to pick one of each or something.
    Originally posted by jwil
    My DD, 15 has moved schools recently and they had photos done and I was expecting a shocking price but this company they use sell the proofs as a PDF so you can then get them printed how you want and in the right numbers rather than buying a pack and having loads left over. (They do sell the packs as well and you dont have to buy a pack to get the PDF)

I think more schools should do this.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£1.74 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to debt savings
    £2.42 to em savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,176 - £1144 paid

2 parcels posted today.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    My DD, 15 has moved schools recently and they had photos done and I was expecting a shocking price but this company they use sell the proofs as a PDF so you can then get them printed how you want and in the right numbers rather than buying a pack and having loads left over. (They do sell the packs as well and you dont have to buy a pack to get the PDF)

I think more schools should do this.
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    That sounds good. We can get a proof sheet for £10 but that is printed so no use. We can get a cd which is £20 for one image, or £49 for all, but we have 3 proof lots, so that soon adds up as well! I think they have other offers on the website so I'll have to have a look. I'd rather get the CD if I can as like you say, we can just print what we want and get copies for grandparents etc.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    Updated lists:

Decluttering 2018:

439. Dog ball
    440 - 488. Cassette tapes
    489. Cassette holder
    490-491. Mobile phone boxes
    492. Dribble pad
    493-494. Gliders
    495. Notebook
    496. Magnifier
    497 - 534. Pens
    535. Stationery packaging
    536 - 571. Video cassettes
    572. Pair socks
    573-578. Tops
    579-580. Moshi monsters
    581. Baby toiletries
    582. Book
    583. Tin
    584. Bricks
    585. Balance bike
    586. Travel cot
    587-588. Body moisturisers
    589. Pedal car
    590-612. postcards
    613. Tent
    614. Trolley bag

Decluttering 2018 totals:
    Books: 179
    Magazines/papers: 86
    Ebay parcels: 322
    Other: 613

Total: 1201

Ebay listings: 279

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £54.04
    Paypal/cash: £82.08
    Other vouchers:£20
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Apr 18, 7:57 AM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pads:

£1.87 to Mortgage
    £1.00 to debt savings
    £0.35 to em savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,175 - £1145 paid

1 parcel posted today.
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 13th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 4,493 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    All looking good jwil.

Have a good weekend.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Excellent work jwil..youre on fire

Have a great weekend. Booting again?
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [25.2% March 13% April ] Income Goal £56/£750 May Goals: AFDs xx/15; Declutter 60 items xx/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

921Posts Today

7,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin