Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8,515Posts
    • 26,050Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 46
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,701 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Wow what a list!!! Inspiring...

I took stuff to the CS at the weekend as couldnt be bothered with the Bay, plus its a great charity. But to get rid of furniture..thats amazing.

I take a lot of unpaid leave...one of the main reasons I am SE. But it does need juggling with spends and more careful budgeting which is whats proved challenging for us this year with two holidays already...but onwards and upwards xx

Have a great weekend
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 9th Mar 18, 6:21 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I echo what brizzled has said. That list is huge. I need to create one if those lists. And your ebaying has inspired me to eBay as well. I think I have made about £350 in the last couple of months. So I thank you for inspiring me to not only declutter but to make money as well. I'm going to keep going with getting rid of stuff and selling it although at some point I will run out of stuff lol.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    Ma7 2018 £4621.78 79.98% paid
    Emergency fund £100/£600
    Total Savings £1258.62
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Wow what a list!!! Inspiring...

I took stuff to the CS at the weekend as couldnt be bothered with the Bay, plus its a great charity. But to get rid of furniture..thats amazing.

I take a lot of unpaid leave...one of the main reasons I am SE. But it does need juggling with spends and more careful budgeting which is whats proved challenging for us this year with two holidays already...but onwards and upwards xx

Have a great weekend
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Thanks Brizzle

It will be very tight the next couple of months with the unpaid leave, but hopefully we'll manage. It will actually be cheaper to pay for childcare than to take the unpaid leave, but we haven't got that set up yet (and I like being on leave )

Have a great weekend too

I echo what brizzled has said. That list is huge. I need to create one if those lists. And your ebaying has inspired me to eBay as well. I think I have made about £350 in the last couple of months. So I thank you for inspiring me to not only declutter but to make money as well. I'm going to keep going with getting rid of stuff and selling it although at some point I will run out of stuff lol.
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids

Thank you. The list should be a lot longer than that, I keep thinking of more to add

Well done on the sales, that's a great amount to make I am finally getting to the point where I am running out of things to sell I never thought that would happen! That is my own stuff though, and every time I go through things I find a bit more to go, so I'll keep going. The kids growing up will keep me with a good amount going on though, as they decide to get rid of toys and stuff but we tend to give them the money for most of that.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 9th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Thanks but as you say I have sold most of the high value items now. My kids keep growing as well, but the older four have told me that if anything sells of theirs it will go into the house deposit fund which is lovely of them. They are fully on board for saving and buying our own house. I did suggest that they donate their pocket money as well, but they didn't like that idea!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    Ma7 2018 £4621.78 79.98% paid
    Emergency fund £100/£600
    Total Savings £1258.62
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 9th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Did I hear that right? Did I really even see you write that? You're running out of stuff to sell?
    But it was the never ending accumulation of 4 people! You're finally seeing light in your house? I can't believe it. Really pleased for you jwil. Once it's all gone and the house only has stuff you need in it everything feels easier to deal with. So totally chuffed for you. As you say I don't think you're ever as on top of it as you'd like to be but we can't be perfect. Everything is getting under control for you. So pleased for you xxx
    Loan 1 £5900/£8000
    Loan 2 £3900/£5800
    Total £9800/£13800 29% PAID
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Thanks but as you say I have sold most of the high value items now. My kids keep growing as well, but the older four have told me that if anything sells of theirs it will go into the house deposit fund which is lovely of them. They are fully on board for saving and buying our own house. I did suggest that they donate their pocket money as well, but they didn't like that idea!
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids
    Haha I don't blame them, there's only so much generosity available It's nice that they want to help though!

Did I hear that right? Did I really even see you write that? You're running out of stuff to sell?
    But it was the never ending accumulation of 4 people! You're finally seeing light in your house? I can't believe it. Really pleased for you jwil. Once it's all gone and the house only has stuff you need in it everything feels easier to deal with. So totally chuffed for you. As you say I don't think you're ever as on top of it as you'd like to be but we can't be perfect. Everything is getting under control for you. So pleased for you xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    I am running out, sadly DH is not and his stuff is 90% of the house It is getting better though.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    February's totals:

1. £2301/£2281
    2. £8388/£8331
    3. £4022/£3994
    4. £2380/£1894
    5. £4813/£4781
    6. £4586/£0
    7. £1175/£0
    8. £6892/£0

Total: £34,557/£21,281 = 38.42% paid

Emergency savings: £1,000

Debt savings: £19,320/£18,226 - £1094 reached, 5.66%

DFD - December 2087 April 2062
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Updated lists:

Decluttering 2018:

251. Scalextric start straight
    252 - 260. Photo albums
    261. Record of achievement book
    262. photo album
    263 - 279. Photo packets
    280-291. Negative packets
    292. Electric fan
    293 - 303. Bookmarks
    304-305. Dining chairs
    306. Bedside cabinet
    307 - 313. Plant pots
    314 - 324. Saucers
    325. Pot of grit
    326. Small bag of chippings
    327 - 330. Shoes
    331. PE Bag
    332 - 338. Wardrobe doors

Decluttering 2018 totals:
    Books: 99
    Magazines/papers: 47
    Ebay parcels: 278
    Other: 338

Total: 762

Ebay listings: 243

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £49.04
    Paypal/cash: £51.82
    Other vouchers:£0
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£3.10 to Mortgage
    £5.00 to debt savings
    £2.54 to em savings

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,220 - £1100 paid
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 10th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Hi JWIL

Sorry to hear you've been ill. I had the lurgy too and have never been as exhausted in my life - it was similar to when I had severe anaemia. It affects mood too - so don't beat yourself up for feeling down.

You are doing amazing on decluttering and ebaying etc. Glad the party went ahead.

Don't blame you on the unpaid leave. I am trying to convince OH that I should take a week's unpaid leave but he isn't keen - I am allowed to spread it over the year as part of a salary sacrifice scheme....
    Today is a new day £93/310 £10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 10th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Jwil look at your pots! You're doing wonderful! That's amazing.
    Maybe you can set out a gauntlet with mr jwil - whoever sells it gets the cash. Might put a fire up his bum to shift it.
    Are you ready to make some more cheeky offers? You've got the money to do it. Can't believe how much it's come down already. I'm sure you can bring it down more. X
    Loan 1 £5900/£8000
    Loan 2 £3900/£5800
    Total £9800/£13800 29% PAID
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi JWIL

Sorry to hear you've been ill. I had the lurgy too and have never been as exhausted in my life - it was similar to when I had severe anaemia. It affects mood too - so don't beat yourself up for feeling down.

You are doing amazing on decluttering and ebaying etc. Glad the party went ahead.

Don't blame you on the unpaid leave. I am trying to convince OH that I should take a week's unpaid leave but he isn't keen - I am allowed to spread it over the year as part of a salary sacrifice scheme....
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    It really has wiped us out, it's not pleasant!

I can do salary sacrifice too, but I decided just to take the hit as it was spread over 2 months anyway, and I can't really afford to have lower wages for the whole year as I've got to pay extra childcare during the summer holidays.

Jwil look at your pots! You're doing wonderful! That's amazing.
    Maybe you can set out a gauntlet with mr jwil - whoever sells it gets the cash. Might put a fire up his bum to shift it.
    Are you ready to make some more cheeky offers? You've got the money to do it. Can't believe how much it's come down already. I'm sure you can bring it down more. X
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thank you It's all DH's stuff, I can't sell it. I can just nag 'encourage' him to get on with it

I've only got the 1k for offers and 1k emergency fund. I don't want to wipe that out, so I'm going to leave it for this year. I'll have extra cash next year as little miss will get her free hours, and also if they've been getting £1 a month for a couple of years, then they might be more amenable to lower offers
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 10th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    Chrystal
    It really has wiped us out, it's not pleasant!

I can do salary sacrifice too, but I decided just to take the hit as it was spread over 2 months anyway, and I can't really afford to have lower wages for the whole year as I've got to pay extra childcare during the summer holidays.

Thank you It's all DH's stuff, I can't sell it. I can just nag 'encourage' him to get on with it

I've only got the 1k for offers and 1k emergency fund. I don't want to wipe that out, so I'm going to leave it for this year. I'll have extra cash next year as little miss will get her free hours, and also if they've been getting £1 a month for a couple of years, then they might be more amenable to lower offers
    Originally posted by jwil
    Great thinking JWIL .... totally agree that the longer they're getting £1 a month the more likely they are to be reasonable about your offer.
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• jwil
    • By jwil 11th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Great thinking JWIL .... totally agree that the longer they're getting £1 a month the more likely they are to be reasonable about your offer.
    Originally posted by Chrystal

Thank you, hopefully! I'd like to have enough to make a cheeky offer on my largest debt, so I'll have to wait for a bit longer. One of my smaller ones has been sold on again though, so more realistic.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Feeling rubbish again. Little jwil was also complaining about feeling ill, but packed him off to school as he perked up considerably when he thought he was having a day off!

So fed up with this at the moment, it seems to be never ending with someone ill in the house. Is there anything we can do to boost our health? We eat a reasonable diet (not perfect) but plenty of fruit and veg. The kids love those probiotic drinking yoghurts so have them most days. Doctor told me not to waste time with vitamins, but I wonder whether I should Maybe it's just a bad year, and because little jwil has started school, but this seems to have been ongoing since September.

I am generally of the opinion that a little bit of dirt is good for you, but this is just making me want to bleach the whole house and it's still not having an effect.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 12th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    I agree that dirt is good . But when someone in the house is sick, then I dig out some antibac gel and make sure everyone is obsessive about hand washing. It's the only time I stress about it.

My DH also swears by Berocca. Though those are expensive and Aldi does a good version.
    BTL Overpayments since 20/4 £5.90

AFD May 12/15 NSD May 10/10

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    I agree that dirt is good . But when someone in the house is sick, then I dig out some antibac gel and make sure everyone is obsessive about hand washing. It's the only time I stress about it.

My DH also swears by Berocca. Though those are expensive and Aldi does a good version.
    Originally posted by mfmaybe
    Thank you I'll have a look at Berocca or cheaper alternatives! I'm obsessive about handwashing when there are bugs around too.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Got up this morning to find the boiler wasn't working. It needed repressurising so Google helped do that It also suggested there might be a leak, and there was some liquid around the valves, so I'm wondering if that's the case. A bit annoying, as it was only serviced a month ago! I'll have to keep an eye on it.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    Well yesterday DH received a letter from the police saying that no further action will be taken, and no one is being prosecuted What a flipping relief! That will be passed to his insurance co and they can deal with anything else thankfully!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 26,050 Thanks
    jwil
    One item sold yesterday on BIN. Today we've got a few things going out. I must say it's been nice to have a bit of a break from eBay but must get back to the decluttering now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,046Posts Today

7,887Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin