Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8,603Posts
    • 26,499Thanks
    jwil
    Onwards and downwards...
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Onwards and downwards... 27th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hey everyone

Iíve decided itís time for a new diary. Iíve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. Iím fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I donít need to worry about it so much now. I wish Iíd done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isnít nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but itís all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 35
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.96 to Mortgage
    £2.00 to debt savings
    £3.05 to joint od

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,378 - £942 paid
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,458 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    My end of year summary:

When I started this diary in March, my debt total was £34,229. A couple of complaints later and a little luck with a large debt write-off of almost £7k, my debt total is now £21,296 meaning I have reduced my debt by £12,933 this year

I have also decluttered over 3000 items from my house, which although still a clutter fest, is finally starting to look better.

I managed to earn over £500 from surveys and cashback etc this year.

This time last year my maternity leave was about to come to an end and DH was out of work. He is back in permanent employment and our finances are looking better. I had just started my DMP and had no savings. Now I have an emergency fund.

What a huge turnaround this has been
    Originally posted by jwil
    What a massive improvement in your life, you must feel so much happier this January than last year .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Jan 18, 8:20 AM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,458 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's such flipping hard work trying to do anything here

I've had to move the toy pile to get to the unit behind it. Move all the books from there to the new bookcase. Put back the toy pile (We did sort through some of it and have some to go now). Move another pile of boxes to get to the bookcase behind it. Empty that and box up the nick nacks on top to go through another time. Pile 'overflow' books onto the dining table Put all boxes back. I now have an empty bookcase to remove at a later point.

To get the books on the dining table into a bookcase, I have to move a chair and another pile of stuff. Empty that bookcase of all the bits and pieces, and then reorganise that and the new bookcase, at which point, I hope that the books will all go into the two of them.

I haven't got time to do that now today as I need to go and get little miss soon and need to tidy up first. However frustrating it is, I am pleased with how much I've got sorted today. I have discovered however, that although I thought I was just about done with my 'to be read' pile, I am not anywhere near done I also have a huge number of larger books that I need to look through and get rid of.

I have also rediscovered a load of joy sparking books which have not seen the light of day for years and am really looking forward to putting them out where I can see them and enjoy them
    Life will be much easier when the clutter is gone but it does take time to go through it all.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    What a massive improvement in your life, you must feel so much happier this January than last year .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Life will be much easier when the clutter is gone but it does take time to go through it all.
    Thank you, yes it's a nice feeling, and it will be much easier when it's all decluttered!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Feeling a bit low today. Went to see my friend who has terminal cancer and it's obviously progressing

It's making me think. I don't want this debt hanging over me, I also don't want to waste my life by doing nothing other than focus on the debt.

I want my debt cleared in 5 years. Then I should have a nice shiny new credit report to go with it as my defaults will all have dropped off by then. That's £350 a month. It's not going to happen this year as I don't have that spare. However, when my childcare bill goes down next year, it probably won't be that much but I'll have a bit more spare. If I can do F&F on one or two this year that will help.

I'm going to work my a*se off to clear this house this year and hopefully gain some F&F funds.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 5th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 16,664 Thanks
    abba1772
    Sorry to hear about your friend jwil xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £983.26
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £4412.86
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 18, 9:01 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Sorry to hear about your friend jwil xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Thanks abba x
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.96 to Mortgage
    £5.00 to debt savings
    £1.11 to joint od

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,373 - £947 paid
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm being very spendy at the moment, but am spending to save. I've renewed our home insurance and switched - saving £60 (also getting £30 cashback but I don't count that until I get it). I've also paid upfront for the first time in years, saving a few ££ that way as well.

I've just paid upfront for BT line rental as well, which will save a bit of cash over the year too.

Both of those have come out of my emergency savings, so I must put that back asap.

I went into town yesterday to get my new glasses, and bought a jumper and two tops. All badly needed as I don't buy clothes very often and tend to wear them until they are threadbare.

I've also bought two glass reusable drinking bottles for work. One for my water bottle, and one for taking orange juice. I'm trying to reduce the amount of disposable packaging I use and it should also save me money compared to buying the little bottles as I can fill from a bigger carton instead. I've bought a breakfast bowl which has separate compartments for my yoghurt and cereal, meaning I can buy a big bucket of yoghurt rather than the individual pots.

I did use a gift voucher towards one of the bottles, and the payback should be relatively short for the others, so I'm happy with that

Apart from that I had a good wander around the shops and didn't feel tempted to buy anything so behaved myself.

I've got a few things selling on ebay this weekend, so hoping to start putting all the money back now. Hoping to have a few quiet weeks so I can build up the savings again. Although January/February are our busiest months birthday-wise (including my 40th ) so there will be some spends needed.
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 6th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    Sorry this year about your friend jwil. I also had devastating news yesterday, my friend passed away. Sometimes life stinks.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Sorry this year about your friend jwil. I also had devastating news yesterday, my friend passed away. Sometimes life stinks.
    Originally posted by retiredandskint
    Oh sorry to hear that retired, it really does stink sometimes xxx
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,458 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Feeling a bit low today. Went to see my friend who has terminal cancer and it's obviously progressing

It's making me think. I don't want this debt hanging over me, I also don't want to waste my life by doing nothing other than focus on the debt.

I want my debt cleared in 5 years. Then I should have a nice shiny new credit report to go with it as my defaults will all have dropped off by then. That's £350 a month. It's not going to happen this year as I don't have that spare. However, when my childcare bill goes down next year, it probably won't be that much but I'll have a bit more spare. If I can do F&F on one or two this year that will help.

I'm going to work my a*se off to clear this house this year and hopefully gain some F&F funds.
    Sorry about your friend jwil, it makes you feel very sad and helpless .

But you are right that it does make you realise life is precious. One of my sisters died of cancer three years ago and after a year of feeling depressed and hopeless, I now have incredible energy and motivation to achieve my goals. None of us know how much time we have so we need to make the most of every second.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 30,458 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm being very spendy at the moment, but am spending to save. I've renewed our home insurance and switched - saving £60 (also getting £30 cashback but I don't count that until I get it). I've also paid upfront for the first time in years, saving a few ££ that way as well.

I've just paid upfront for BT line rental as well, which will save a bit of cash over the year too.

Both of those have come out of my emergency savings, so I must put that back asap.

I went into town yesterday to get my new glasses, and bought a jumper and two tops. All badly needed as I don't buy clothes very often and tend to wear them until they are threadbare.

I've also bought two glass reusable drinking bottles for work. One for my water bottle, and one for taking orange juice. I'm trying to reduce the amount of disposable packaging I use and it should also save me money compared to buying the little bottles as I can fill from a bigger carton instead. I've bought a breakfast bowl which has separate compartments for my yoghurt and cereal, meaning I can buy a big bucket of yoghurt rather than the individual pots.

I did use a gift voucher towards one of the bottles, and the payback should be relatively short for the others, so I'm happy with that

Apart from that I had a good wander around the shops and didn't feel tempted to buy anything so behaved myself.

I've got a few things selling on ebay this weekend, so hoping to start putting all the money back now. Hoping to have a few quiet weeks so I can build up the savings again. Although January/February are our busiest months birthday-wise (including my 40th ) so there will be some spends needed.
    Those spends sound very sensible jwil. Sometimes you have to spend money to save money .
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jan 18, 6:34 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Those spends sound very sensible jwil. Sometimes you have to spend money to save money .
    Thank you Yes, I just need to be disciplined now!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jan 18, 6:35 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.87 to Mortgage
    £3.00 to debt savings
    £2.41 to joint od

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,370 - £950 paid
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jan 18, 6:38 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    It would be nice to get to £1k on the debt savings this month, and also there's only £150 to go on the joint od. It would be lovely to clear that this month as well. I would then just send the odd bits to savings.

I'll have to get focussed and put some stuff on ebay!

DH has sold loads this weekend, so quite a bit of bulk has gone
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Jan 18, 7:34 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.95 to Mortgage
    £3.00 to debt savings
    £1.65 to joint od

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,367 - £953 paid

Another 4 parcels gone today. We've cleared out some stuff that's been on for ages which is nice. However, there are lots of non payers about at the moment which is really irritating
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Jan 18, 7:50 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Decluttering 2018:

1. Wooden tray
    2. string
    3. Kilner jar
    4. Fruit bowl
    5-6. Serving dishes
    7-11. Mugs
    12-15. Jugs
    16. Storage jar
    17. Teapot
    18-21. Pyrex dishes
    22-25. small dishes
    26-36. Small plates
    37-62. Saucers
    63. Ornamental rabbit
    64. Christmas cards
    65-78. Plant pots
    79. Fertiliser
    80-81. Road atlases
    82. Chipped pot
    83. Plastic bowl
    84. Rucksack
    85. Wellies
    86-91. Dressing up costumes
    92. Handheld vacuum
    93. Thermos
    94. Toy Rocket
    95-99. Toy watches
    100. Rucksack
    101. Toy F1 Car
    102-105. Shoe boxes
    106. Wooden box
    107-111. Out of date creams
    112-113. Out of date yeast
    114-118. Food colourings
    119. Icing
    120. Cake cases
    121. Coffee
    122. Tea bags
    123. Bread packet mix
    124. Bicarb

Decluttering 2018:
    Books: 0
    Magazines/papers: 7
    Ebay parcels: 53
    Other: 0

Total: 184

Ebay listings: 31

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £5
    Paypal/cash: £0
    Other vouchers:£0
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 26,499 Thanks
    jwil
    Todays pads:

£1.96 to Mortgage
    £5.00 to debt savings
    £1.04 to joint od

Debt savings - £19,320/£18,362 - £958 paid

2 more parcels posted. £3 paypal from a survey site
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 5,056 Posts
    • 29,368 Thanks
    in need of direction
    i can't believe the number of items already on your list!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter