Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 27th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 114Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    MSE News: Robin Hood Energy hits customers with 17% hike in standard dual fuel prices
    • 27th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    MSE News: Robin Hood Energy hits customers with 17% hike in standard dual fuel prices 27th Mar 17 at 12:13 PM
    Not-for-profit supplier Robin Hood Energy has announced it is hiking prices next month...
    Read the full story:
    Robin Hood to hike dual fuel prices by 17% next month'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • robin58
    • By robin58 27th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    Well as always your 'news' story does not contain the full facts.

I'm with Ebico for gas. I have received a letter from Ebico saying that I will be with Robin Hood..

But I then receive a letter from SSE saying that Ebico can't transfer me without my personal permission. So according to SSE I'm still with them.

So instead of copying and pasting the press release do some REAL news research on the subject.
    Last edited by robin58; 27-03-2017 at 2:12 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
  • archived user
    • 27th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    Read more news here:

http://m.nottinghampost.com/why-some-robin-hood-energy-customers-will-see-their-bills-rise/story-30221314-detail/story.html
    • Magnetron
    • By Magnetron 27th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Magnetron
    • 27th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 27th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    Another example of why switching alone is not a long term solution. The smaller suppliers are always likely to be exposed to more volatility than the Big 6.
    • tightfistednorthernmonkey
    • By tightfistednorthernmonkey 29th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tightfistednorthernmonkey
    • 29th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 29th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    I don't get it...I signed up to Robin Hood on the 1st March only to receive an email on the 20th March telling me my KW Per Hour rate was increasing from 11.29p per KWH to 15.5p per KWH...that's a jump of a whopping 36.4%....significantly more than the 17% being publicly quoted...how is this possible?
    • AbbieCadabra
    • By AbbieCadabra 29th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    AbbieCadabra
    • 29th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 29th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    if you look on their facebook page, there's quite a few people posted that their increase will be significantly more than the advertised 17%, some up to 69% i think!. ours was going to be 25%, electric only, we only switched to RH 22.03.17 but i've already requested another switch. So Energy are best for us now, fixed for a year with £5 early terminatation fee. IRESA were the cheapest but their terrible reviews put me off them & So were only £40 more per year.

i doubt RH will have any customers actually left after this price increase...
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 29th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 29th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 29th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    The 17% is for Dual Fuel customers , on the Evergreen Electric & Gas tariffs. If only your electricity tariff is "Evergreen" then the % will be different.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 29th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    • 29th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 29th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    I've only been with them for 3 months! Time to switch again.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 29th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 29th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 29th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    I've only been with them for 3 months! Time to switch again.
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    Presumably that was a risk you were fully aware of when you accepted a variable tariff 3 months ago.

MSE Martin was warning in early December (if not before) to lock in, expecting price rises this spring
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips/07-12-2016/
    He had a limited offer that lasted 2 winters back then

Unfortunately, many of the good fixes that were available back then have since vanished, producing a double whammy for you now.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 29th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    I don't get it...I signed up to Robin Hood on the 1st March only to receive an email on the 20th March telling me my KW Per Hour rate was increasing from 11.29p per KWH to 15.5p per KWH...that's a jump of a whopping 36.4%....significantly more than the 17% being publicly quoted...how is this possible?
    Originally posted by tightfistednorthernmonkey
    The 17% stated in the article clearly says it is an average, and relates to a dual fuel customer (one who takes both gas and electricity)

You cannot compare one part of one tariff applicable to you to the average increase quoted for the total cost of a typical dual fuel customer.

That is how!
    • rhp485
    • By rhp485 29th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rhp485
    Robin Hood Increases - Will I go on the new fixed tariff
    I am with Robin Hood Energy for electricity only and I have recently been informed of the increases next month. I am on a variable tariff with them at the moment.
    They tell me that if I go on to their Ebico Zero Fixed Tariff I will be better off by £46 over the year compared to staying on their variable tariff. I pay £29.39 per month at the moment and will pay £31 per month on the new Ebico Zero fixed tariff instead of paying £35 per month if I stay on the variable tariff.
    I have rang them twice to confirm that I will be put on that tariff before my next payment is taken in April so I will paying £31 and not £35 per month. I was told that I would be the case but I need to get a ring back from Robin Hood to confirm that etc. So far I have not received call therefore I am still concerned that I might not be put on my new tariff in time to avoid the increases in the variable tariff!!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 29th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    I am with Robin Hood Energy for electricity only and I have recently been informed of the increases next month. I am on a variable tariff with them at the moment.
    They tell me that if I go on to their Ebico Zero Fixed Tariff I will be better off by £46 over the year compared to staying on their variable tariff. I pay £29.39 per month at the moment and will pay £31 per month on the new Ebico Zero fixed tariff instead of paying £35 per month if I stay on the variable tariff.
    I have rang them twice to confirm that I will be put on that tariff before my next payment is taken in April so I will paying £31 and not £35 per month. I was told that I would be the case but I need to get a ring back from Robin Hood to confirm that etc. So far I have not received call therefore I am still concerned that I might not be put on my new tariff in time to avoid the increases in the variable tariff!!
    Originally posted by rhp485
    As always, you will only pay for what you use and in accordance with the tariff you are on at the time.
    Any under- or over-payment made by DD will be reflected in your account. Rules apply under the DD scheme as to how changes in amounts collected must be processed.

Be care - the Ebico Zero tariff is NOT a fixed tariff; it is a variable tariff (although the supplier may guarantee the prices, but at best it will only be until December)

I think RHE say they will process a change of tariff in 2 (working?) days - many other suppliers will actually do it whilst you are on the phone to them.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 30th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Presumably that was a risk you were fully aware of when you accepted a variable tariff 3 months ago.

MSE Martin was warning in early December (if not before) to lock in, expecting price rises this spring
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips/07-12-2016/
    He had a limited offer that lasted 2 winters back then

Unfortunately, many of the good fixes that were available back then have since vanished, producing a double whammy for you now.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I'm renting at the moment trying to sort finances to buy, so I'm stuck on variable because I'm wanting to be off in 6 months.
  • archived user
    I'm renting at the moment trying to sort finances to buy, so I'm stuck on variable because I'm wanting to be off in 6 months.
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    Most suppliers will allow you to exit a fixed term policy without penalty if you move out. Check the supplier's ts and cs. Remember, they do not lose out as the new occupier will be on a Deemed Contract.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 30th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    alanq
    Customers transferring from SSE EquiPower / EquiGas tariffs to Ebico tariffs with Robin Hood are guaranteed until December a fixed price which is lower than the one that they have been paying and much lower than they will be paying by staying with SSE. It's anyone's guess what happens after December.

https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/another-letter-from-sse-to-ebico-customers-a-personal-response-by-phil-levermore-md-ebico-ltd/

For anyone unaware, the initial position was that anyone doing nothing would be transferred to Robin Hood. This has now changed to anyone doing nothing will stay with SSE. It is only by reading MSE Forum, and subsequently the MSE that I am aware of this. I have had no new letter from Ebico stating this.
    Last edited by alanq; 30-03-2017 at 5:46 PM.
    • pimm
    • By pimm 3rd Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    pimm
    I have recorded my experiences of RHE on the RHE review thread, so I shall not regurgitate it here. What I will say is that I knew that I might need to switch again at some point - it only takes five minutes, so I've heard - but once you get mired down in their errors, or can't get through, they ignore your emails, won't accept your readings, etc, you end up with a much bigger bundle of hassle than just hopping from company to company from time to time. These kinds of messes are time consuming, dispiriting and detrimental to my health (I explain why it's so bad on my other post).

I don't think that the sheer stress and confusion of the bombardment of constant changes, errors, communication problems and sudden budgeting crises, is highlighted as much as it should be, for those of us who are not as executive-skilled or who are supposed to keep stress levels to a minimum for health reasons.
    • DiscountofMonteCristo
    • By DiscountofMonteCristo 7th Apr 17, 3:06 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DiscountofMonteCristo
    I don't understand why any of you are on variable rate. Aren't fixed rates always better?

- A Robin Hood Energy fixed rate customer who won't be affected by this hike.
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 7th Apr 17, 7:29 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    I don't understand why any of you are on variable rate. Aren't fixed rates always better?

Originally posted by DiscountofMonteCristo
    No, not according to the many comparison sites I looked at for my own situation
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 7th Apr 17, 11:39 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    WobblyDog

Originally posted by DiscountofMonteCristo

I'm still learning about electricity and gas tariffs, having only recently started paying by direct debit rather than quarterly-in-arrears. My naÔve expectation is that fixed tariffs are likely to be more expensive, because the consumer is paying a bit extra for peace of mind. Does the energy market not work like that?
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 8th Apr 17, 5:58 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    On average, over the industry, fixed deals are cheaper. But it depends on the particular supplier. Some like to tempt in new customers at the expense of their existing ones. Other like to bank their customer base and reward loyalty. Somebody is always subsidising or being subsidised at the end of the day, but that's privatisation for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

4,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin