Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 26th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 9,134Posts
    • 14,069Thanks
    worried jim
    0 WOW
    ESTA "Authorization Pending"
    • 26th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    0 WOW
    ESTA "Authorization Pending" 26th Mar 17 at 5:20 PM
    I'm off to Florida in November (booked this week) and I've just completed my ESTA and I've got "Authorization Pending" which has surprised me as "Once an ESTA form has been submitted, the application is then queried against US law enforcement databases. However, this only takes a few seconds, with the vast majority of applications determined within 4 seconds (99.6% approved in this time according to the US Embassy in London)."

I'm in the .4%- gulp!

My paranoia has gone through the roof!

Anyone else been in the 4%?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 1
    • IronMaidenFan
    • By IronMaidenFan 26th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    IronMaidenFan
    • 26th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 26th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    This happened to me a couple of years ago. I checked back on the website a few hours later and the status had changed to Authorization Approved. Other times its been approved immediately. I wouldn't worry, their website is probably busy!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 26th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 26th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 26th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    Happened to me twice. Sorted next working day. I reckon they're less successful on weekends.

Keep a screenshot of the reference number.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 26th Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    • 9,134 Posts
    • 14,069 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 26th Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    • 26th Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    Happened to me twice. Sorted next working day. I reckon they're less successful on weekends.

Keep a screenshot of the reference number.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Yep done this. Glad it's not just me. Last time I went to the US was 2008 on the same passport but have been to Turkey and Egypt loads since then.

Do they email me once approved or do I need to check back?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 26th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 9,134 Posts
    • 14,069 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 26th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 26th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    Just rechecked the site and it's been approved.
    Albert Einstein
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 26th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 19,370 Posts
    • 44,907 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 26th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 26th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    When I did ours mine and my husbands went through fine, our 14yo daughter came back 'pending', go figure.
    Last edited by peachyprice; 27-03-2017 at 8:07 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 27th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 27th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 27th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    It's happened to me twice, while OH's went straight through.

The first time I was paranoid, too, and kept checking for an email that didn't appear, of course.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 27th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    • 27th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 27th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    happened to me last week, and this is my 3rd ESTA!
    my passport expired this year, so I renewed my passport, and applied for a new ESTA, but my existing ESTA still had 1 month remaining, and my passport number is different to my last one....
    So still pending!

** now its Auth'd **
    Last edited by StuieUK34; 27-03-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    • SW17
    • By SW17 1st Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    SW17
    • 1st Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1st Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    In most cases it is approved immediately, but the approval doesn't always show just by refreshing the page. Logging out and back into the application again usually fixes it, though of course there are some that genuinely do remain pending.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 2nd Apr 17, 7:24 AM
    • 16,682 Posts
    • 41,268 Thanks
    FBaby
    I had a pending too, assumed it was normal procedure. It was a group application and one party had double nationality, maybe that's what it was, or most likely indeed done over the week-end.
    • sidneyhill
    • By sidneyhill 8th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sidneyhill
    I had applied ESTA two months ago and still it pending process. I think it will take too much times to complete the process.
    • yellowmug
    • By yellowmug 9th Mar 18, 3:22 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    yellowmug
    Mine took a couple of days to be approved. Could be because my (British) husband has visited a lot of countries that raise red flags with the US authorities (and possibly ours), could be total random chance. Husband isn't eligible for ESTA and needs a visa thanks to his travels. Suspect it might well be tied up with that. No questions about that on arrival, though. My colleague, who I was travelling with, totally forgot about ESTA and had to do it on his phone from the airport. Lucky for him he was in the 99.6%!

I suspect it's sometimes a case of having the same name as someone (probably not in my case)
    • Catrincribb
    • By Catrincribb 17th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Catrincribb
    Phew!
    I applied a few minutes ago. Panicked when it said 'pending'. I read this thread and then checked and during those few moments it was approved! Massive roller coater moment but it looks like I'm going to the US for a holiday. Happy days!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,700Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin