Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 15,242Posts
    • 14,340Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 243
    • Steff90
    • By Steff90 13th Sep 18, 1:37 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Steff90
    Sourcrates - thank you! I breathed a sigh of relief when I read your comment!
    The DAS won't go through Payplan as she said they'll need to refer me onto someone who deals with DAS.
    Am I still able to tell whoever I deal with for the DAS that I don't want to start the plan until 3 months or so?
    Around 20K starting point Will get there eventually
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 13th Sep 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    StepChange will do a DAS for you!

https://www.stepchange.org/how-we-help/debt-arrangement-scheme.aspx

Don't forget to delay the official DAS start date so that you can build up your emergency fund.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 13th Sep 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    ...Around 3 of my payments being made to creditors are higher than the minimum payments we were making before.

Am I right in thinking that due to this, our accounts won’t be defaulted as we’re making the contractual payments? In this case will these accounts never show as ‘bad’ on my credit file, or will the stay on my file for six years after they have been settled? I’m unsure wether or not to go self managed and pay token payments until these accounts are in arrears, or keep going through StepChange and see what happens...
    Originally posted by SirLurkalot
    Is your credit file marked with an Arrangement to Pay marker on those three accounts or have they been marked in arrears? What do your credit files say?

Hi all, I've recently started a DMP self managed after being with StepChange for a year. I received an email from one of my creditors today stating the following:

"We have received your letter via post. We are reaching out via email because we are unable to write you back. We would like to assist in getting you set up with an affordable arrangement, to do so we will require a few additional details. Please provide us with additional information in regards to your monthly income and expenses so that we can set up an affordable arrangement."

Now, am I to believe that this is not entirely true and they are telling me porkies? As I have sent them a letter stating all correspondence to be in writing only, I assume they think they can get away with an email? Should I respond to the email and tell them I will only reply in future to post? I've already sent a statement of earnings and my proposed repayments.
    Originally posted by chew82
    If it was me, I would reply in writing, by post, reiterating that you only consent to written communication by post. Confirm in the letter that all other forms of communication, including email, have not got your consent.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Steff90
    • By Steff90 13th Sep 18, 1:50 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Steff90
    Willing2learn I've just had a look on there I think I'll get some advice from Stepchange too regarding this.
    Payplan have sent me all my income and expenditure sheets through and the lady is going to call me next week to see what I want to do with regards to going ahead with a DMP or a DAS but it's looking likely it'll be a DAS now I've read into it and had some replies on this!
    I did read they take a 10% fee (not step change - the debt management companies). Do you know if all companies take a fee or would some do it fee free?
    Around 20K starting point Will get there eventually
    • jools1985
    • By jools1985 13th Sep 18, 1:59 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    jools1985
    Letter from RBS acknowledging my 'breathing space I am in contact with Stepchange letter'.

It says they are prepared to defer any action until 7/10/18 and will suspend any calls or letters before then. The letter continues to say interest will still be applied but that late payment charges will not be applied. I was hoping they would also suspend interest the same as MBNA have. I know they are not obliged to do so, but wondered if anyone else has had this from RBS. Did they suspend interest later on or do they charge interest until the account is defaulted?

The letter states I have had the account since 7/7/97. I'm wondering if they still have the original paperwork. I'm almost certain it would have been a paper application that far back. Is it worth writing to ask for a copy of the original paperwork? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here. Is this what people do to see if the debt is enforceable or not? Any pointers anyone can give me are much appreciaed.
    • chew82
    • By chew82 13th Sep 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chew82
    If it was me, I would reply in writing, by post, reiterating that you only consent to written communication by post. Confirm in the letter that all other forms of communication, including email, have not got your consent.
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    That's what I thought. Thanks!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Sep 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 28,123 Thanks
    carbootcrazy

The letter states I have had the account since 7/7/97. I'm wondering if they still have the original paperwork. I'm almost certain it would have been a paper application that far back. Is it worth writing to ask for a copy of the original paperwork? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here. Is this what people do to see if the debt is enforceable or not? Any pointers anyone can give me are much appreciaed.
    Originally posted by jools1985
    jools, finding out if the paperwork is compliant and the debt is enforceable or not is exactly what you need to do as soon as possible. It's called a CCA request, most of us have done them and it's well worth the fee involved. A debt that age stands a very good chance of being unenforceable.

Sorry, in a mad rush and no time just now to point you in the direction of the templates and information on how to submit a CCA request. I hope someone else will be along very soon to help you. Definitely worth doing, go for it
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 13th Sep 18, 3:52 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    @jools1985

Remember to enclose a £1 fee (postal order is best)

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx

I love my job

• Time_To_Change
    • By Time_To_Change 13th Sep 18, 7:03 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Time_To_Change
    Hi all. I have noticed a few people mention that their creditors have contacted them by email. For me personally this would be better as sometimes I work away 6 or 7 nights at a time. Is it acceptable to request to be contacted by email and are their any disadvantages to this?
    • SirLurkalot
    • By SirLurkalot 13th Sep 18, 10:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SirLurkalot
    Is your credit file marked with an Arrangement to Pay marker on those three accounts or have they been marked in arrears? What do your credit files say?
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    A couple have DM on for debt management(one of which is one of the accounts I mentioned) one has UC on which I can only assume is unconfirmed?
    Some havenít updated yet
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Sep 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    I have noticed a few people mention that their creditors have contacted them by email. For me personally this would be better as sometimes I work away 6 or 7 nights at a time. Is it acceptable to request to be contacted by email and are their any disadvantages to this?
    Originally posted by Time_To_Change
    It is perfectly acceptable to do all your communication by email. The downside with doing stuff by email, is that they can inundate you with emails to the point of harassment.
    A couple have DM on for debt management(one of which is one of the accounts I mentioned) one has UC on which I can only assume is unconfirmed?
    Some haven’t updated yet
    Originally posted by SirLurkalot
    What you ideally want is for all your creditors to mark your accounts as defaulted, dated at the time when you were 3-6 months in arrears of your credit agreement. If your creditors do that, then they will be in full compliance with ICO guidelines.

I love my job

• Billy12345
    • By Billy12345 14th Sep 18, 11:06 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Billy12345
    Hi all

Quick question about my DMP. Most of my creditors have defaulted and I'm currently with SC. Really, really thinking of self managing and wondering if creditors will accept token payments for a few months, could do with re-building my EF as it's been used for, yes you guessed it, an emergency and almost wiped it out, but I don't know if the creditors will accept token payments once a default has been registered. I'm sure January2015 did a similar thing and if she's out there any advice would be awesome or if anyone else has experience of this advice would be great.
    LBM August 2016 = £59,600 Now £48,669. DFD 2035 !!! Getting there slowly but surely
    • Red Athena
    • By Red Athena 14th Sep 18, 11:13 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Red Athena
    What services are people using to check their credit reports? I have Noddle, should I use anything else too?
    DMP Begins October 2018
    My diary : Looking Forward
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Sep 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Most of my creditors have defaulted and I'm currently with SC. Really, really thinking of self managing and wondering if creditors will accept token payments for a few months, could do with re-building my EF as it's been used for, yes you guessed it, an emergency and almost wiped it out, but I don't know if the creditors will accept token payments once a default has been registered.
    Originally posted by Billy12345
    Nothing wrong with doing token payments for 3 months to rebuild your EF. If it was me, I would put the token payments offer in writing to my creditors, including an up-to-date SOA that demonstrates a current shortfall for monthly repayments. I wouldn't mention anything about my EF.

What services are people using to check their credit reports? I have Noddle, should I use anything else too?
    Originally posted by Red Athena
    There are three CRAs:
    Noddle = TransUnion (ex CallCredit)
    MSE Credit Club = Experian
    Clearscore = Equifax

I love my job

• January2015
    • By January2015 14th Sep 18, 1:36 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    January2015
    Hi all

Quick question about my DMP. Most of my creditors have defaulted and I'm currently with SC. Really, really thinking of self managing and wondering if creditors will accept token payments for a few months, could do with re-building my EF as it's been used for, yes you guessed it, an emergency and almost wiped it out, but I don't know if the creditors will accept token payments once a default has been registered. I'm sure January2015 did a similar thing and if she's out there any advice would be awesome or if anyone else has experience of this advice would be great.
    Originally posted by Billy12345
    Hi

Yes, when I went self managed I wrote to all my creditors and advised them I would be paying £1 per month until xx/xx/xxxx, and subsequently would be paying £xx.xx from xx/xx/xxxx.

Essentially, I sent them an income and expenditure statement which showed them what I could afford to pay, but told them I would be paying £1 a month for the first 3 months and would start full DMP payments after that. I didn't ask, I just told them this is what would be happening.

I didn't show a shortfall which meant I could only afford £1 each - the I&E statement showed what I could actually afford. I didn't mention an emergency fund - I let them work out for themselves why I was only going to pay £1 per month.

I did take the opportunity when going self managed to really re-visit my budget. I almost halved what I had been paying through SC. Not one creditor queried why there was such a drop in the available funds.

All were fine with it. Go for it
    Last edited by January2015; 14-09-2018 at 1:39 PM.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    • jools1985
    • By jools1985 14th Sep 18, 2:48 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    jools1985
    Many many thanks to carbootcrazy and W2L. I've sent the letter along with the £1 postal order.

Hopefully they won't find my original agreement.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 14th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    January2015
    Many many thanks to carbootcrazy and W2L. I've sent the letter along with the £1 postal order.

Keep the receipt for the postal order. Many companies send them back and comply without cashing the postal order.

Once you have written a payee on the postal order, the only way the post office will refund you is if you have the original receipt.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    • doodle55
    • By doodle55 14th Sep 18, 3:38 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    doodle55
    Good afternoon folks,

Been reading through posts for a while now. You guys are very supportive. I have been struggling for a while now with my money situation its really starting to get to me.

Currently - £16k in debt

Made up off loans, credit cards, store cards, car finance & overdraft.

I have never looked for help or advice iv just let it build up over time but i think its time to seek help. Iv a young family with two kids (2) & (5).

I have been reading about StepChange - has anyone any dealings with them?

Thanks
    • jools1985
    • By jools1985 14th Sep 18, 3:48 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    jools1985
    Good afternoon folks,

Been reading through posts for a while now. You guys are very supportive. I have been struggling for a while now with my money situation its really starting to get to me.

Currently - £16k in debt

Made up off loans, credit cards, store cards, car finance & overdraft.

I have never looked for help or advice iv just let it build up over time but i think its time to seek help. Iv a young family with two kids (2) & (5).

I have been reading about StepChange - has anyone any dealings with them?

Thanks
    Originally posted by doodle55

Hi Doodle - yes lots of us here have had dealings with StepChange. I'm in the very early stages of my DMP journey and thanks to StepChange and the very helpful folks on this forum I'm in a far better place emotionally than I was a few weeks ago. I've found StepChange very easy to deal with, their telephone advisers are very friendly and helpful. Maybe you can start by having a look on their website and filling out their Debt remedy form. You'll receive good advice and a starting point.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 28,123 Thanks
    carbootcrazy

Well done

They should comply within a certain time frame (although I can't remember what it is). One of my creditors took about a year to produce any documentation although they did acknowledge receipt of my request and kept writing to me every couple of months saying that they were still waiting for their client (they were managing the account on behalf of the original creditor) to locate the information I'd asked for.

Not all creditors will acknowledge receipt of CCA requests, the first you'll hear is when they actually send the information. It's often a waiting game. As soon as they receive your request all collection of the debt will be on hold until they provide the information you asked for. It's sometimes a good thing if they take forever to send anything. The trouble with sending a PO rather than a cheque (and most of us do it) is that you'll have no idea if it's been cashed until the creditor communicates with you.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,860Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin