Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 14,018Posts
    • 13,275Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 199
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 15th May 18, 6:42 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Suseka97
    .....Quick question if I may, I have been on a dmp with Stepchange since 2013. I had to give up my job due to a family loss and the debts soon got out of hand. Anyway over 4 years later I have decided to send CCA requests to my creditors. My largest debt is with PRA (sold by Barclaycard and previously Egg card).
    Whilst I appreciate there are no guarantees but if any of the debts do come back as unenforceable can I simply ask Stepchange to remove them from my DMP or will I have to go self managed if I choose to stop paying those creditors? Thanks!!
    Originally posted by mikebec2010
    Although there are no guarantees; chances are the former EGG one will be UE. My OHs Barclays/Prev Egg account proved to be so. If that is the case then I guess you can ask SC to remove it from your DMP and state that you want to prioritise enforceable debts -but you may find that they are reluctant to do so (their ethos is to treat all creditors fairly) in which case you will have to go self-managed -which is much easier than people think, especially when you are experienced with DMPs. Good luck with the CCA request
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / £11k o/s
    • heavenlyharry01
    • By heavenlyharry01 15th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    heavenlyharry01
    Hi

Itís been a long time since Iíve posted.
    Self managed DMP.

Iíve managed to do a number of partial settlements of our 11 debts. Bringing the total now down to 5.
    The tricky ones we have found are creation, capital one and very.

I have a question to anyone with experience or advice with Very.

My husband and I both had very accounts. We were paying £1 token payments to each account, for over 1 year. They defaulted my husbands and sold it on to Lowell, which we have since settled.

My account, they refused to default or sell on. I wrote to them a number of times and in the last letter they pretty much stated they would only default if I stopped the token payments.
    I have stopped the token payments and now Iím receiving letters from Very in which they have added admin charges.
    I havenít written to them since Iíve stopped paying as I was hoping they would default me and the best course of action might be to ignore them.....but obviously I don not want admin charges building up.
    Should I hold fire and not contact them or should I contact them and state I canít afgord to pay them anything at the moment?

Thank you
    • jak669
    • By jak669 15th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    jak669
    It has now been a couple of weeks since I started sorting out my debts. I have 9 creditors and StepChange have written to them all offering proposed amounts. So far mbna, Lloyds x2, Barclays, Shawbrook Bank and Santander x2 have all accepted my lower payments. Only marks and spencer!!!8217;s and post office to go. I am feeling so much better and finally I can see some light at the end of the tunnel (although it could be a 10 year tunnel) .

I am really grateful to this site and everyone on here that posts as you have been a real help along the way. Always there to ask questions and support each other. It is amazing.

The shawbrook one was my biggest worry but actually it turns out that I have already wiped £8k off my debt as they have stopped all interest ion what was a 7 year loan.

Once agin thank you for all your support and I shall be offering my support for anyone else thinking of doing a DMP. I have a long way to go as it is still very early days but I am now ready for the journey.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 15th May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Suseka97
    It has now been a couple of weeks since I started sorting out my debts. I have 9 creditors and StepChange have written to them all offering proposed amounts.... I am feeling so much better and finally I can see some light at the end of the tunnel (although it could be a 10 year tunnel) . The shawbrook one was my biggest worry but actually it turns out that I have already wiped £8k off my debt as they have stopped all interest ion what was a 7 year loan.... I have a long way to go as it is still very early days but I am now ready for the journey.
    Originally posted by jak669
    This is excellent news and well done for persevering as I recall how anxious you were at the start. This is a good post for newcomers, or those who may be sitting on the fence. This is doable, you just need to work through things systematically and not let the dread and worry about what creditors may or may not do, overcome you.

I wish you every good luck on your DMP journey and whilst 10 years may seem a long way off, trust me - the time flies. You may find that before the end of that timeframe you may be in a position to pay more, or get offered some F&Fs by the DCAs who will no doubt eventually hold your accounts.
    Self-managed Aug17
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 15th May 18, 3:14 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Suseka97
    For those who may have read my previous post about being contact by PRA - this is just a quick update. Seems the chappie I spoke with over the weekend didn't really take much notice of my comments about the account/s being UE. Well, low and behold I receive another phone call today, slightly different number so the block call I put on didn't kick in.

Anyway, this time I thought I'd be a little more 'to the point', though again I refused to confirm my personal details. The young lady was a little flummoxed, but to her credit she heard me out. I explained that I knew the accounts were UE and whilst I realise it didn't mean the debt/s had been written off , I intended to prioritise my enforceable ones, I continued on saying that at some point in the future, when all other debts were cleared, I would consider contacting them to offer some form of settlement.

So, she kindly offered to put my account on hold for 30 days to which I replied that whilst I appreciated the offer, it would be a good deal longer than 30 days before I would likely be in touch. I then asked for all telephone numbers to be removed from their database and bless her - she said she would make a note for no contact for the next month or so, but I said 'no' - I'm not asking for you to put my phone number/s on hold - I'm asking for them to be removed permanently and pointed out that I knew my rights in that respect. She then confirmed that from now on all communications would be carried out in writing.

So, to anyone in a similar situation to me - do stick to your guns and don't let them control the conversation or threaten.. blah.. blah. To be fair the lady was perfectly amicable and actually apologised for calling. So PRA are going back to the end of the queue - again!

I have to admit I probably will, maybe sometime next year, consider offering very low F&Fs - just to wipe the slate clean. But then again, I might not The way I view it (rightly or wrongly) is that I would have paid PRA for around 2 years under the DMP and I'm pretty sure they would have made quite a few £s on the price they paid for the accounts already.
    Self-managed Aug17
    • NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 15th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    I haven't posted for a while but have been following posts, and learning a lot along the way My DMP with SC has just started with the first token payment. I have 4 defaut notices already! Barclaycard have told me the date when they wll default, not might default, so I'm hoping they will. I'm not getting any phone calls at all - I expected a really turbulent period to be honest. I know it won't be all plain sailing but it's been a really good start.

To anyone just starting the process, once the new bank account is set up & creditors informed,it does really lift that awful sinking feeling/not sleeping/stressing/feeling hopeless. It's my DMP and I feel in control of it, that's a real turn around from my first posts
    • January2015
    • By January2015 15th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    January2015
    For those who may have read my previous post about being contact by PRA - this is just a quick update. Seems the chappie I spoke with over the weekend didn't really take much notice of my comments about the account/s being UE. Well, low and behold I receive another phone call today, slightly different number so the block call I put on didn't kick in.

Anyway, this time I thought I'd be a little more 'to the point', though again I refused to confirm my personal details. The young lady was a little flummoxed, but to her credit she heard me out. I explained that I knew the accounts were UE and whilst I realise it didn't mean the debt/s had been written off , I intended to prioritise my enforceable ones, I continued on saying that at some point in the future, when all other debts were cleared, I would consider contacting them to offer some form of settlement.

So, she kindly offered to put my account on hold for 30 days to which I replied that whilst I appreciated the offer, it would be a good deal longer than 30 days before I would likely be in touch. I then asked for all telephone numbers to be removed from their database and bless her - she said she would make a note for no contact for the next month or so, but I said 'no' - I'm not asking for you to put my phone number/s on hold - I'm asking for them to be removed permanently and pointed out that I knew my rights in that respect. She then confirmed that from now on all communications would be carried out in writing.

So, to anyone in a similar situation to me - do stick to your guns and don't let them control the conversation or threaten.. blah.. blah. To be fair the lady was perfectly amicable and actually apologised for calling. So PRA are going back to the end of the queue - again!

I have to admit I probably will, maybe sometime next year, consider offering very low F&Fs - just to wipe the slate clean. But then again, I might not The way I view it (rightly or wrongly) is that I would have paid PRA for around 2 years under the DMP and I'm pretty sure they would have made quite a few £s on the price they paid for the accounts already.
    Originally posted by Suseka97
    Awesome - well done to you

PRA caved in eventually and offered to settle our UE at 10% of the balance. I just ignored every letter for over a year until the 10% offer landed. It suited me to settle and close it on our credit file, but we could just as easily have ignored it altogether.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 16th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Suseka97
    PRA caved in eventually and offered to settle our UE at 10% of the balance. I just ignored every letter for over a year until the 10% offer landed. It suited me to settle and close it on our credit file, but we could just as easily have ignored it altogether.
    Originally posted by January2015
    Thanks Jan15, that's really useful to know. Come July this year it'll have been 1 year since our last payment and I rather suspect as a result of the most recent interactions with them, I won't hear from them again in a good wee while, but we shall see.

I'm similar to you in so much as whilst I could merrily go along ignoring them until the statute barred chime tolls, I will probably go for an F&F simply to draw a line. The 3 UE accounts with them amount to more than 2/3rds of our remaining balance and so it would be good to be able to officially claim myself 'debt-free' at some point.
    Self-managed Aug17
    • roo-dee
    • By roo-dee 16th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    roo-dee
    Hi All, I have cancelled my dd's I am now trying to sort my CPA, i apologise if this is a stupid question, i have a template letter to cancel my CPA, but when i try and get a contact for whom I should send this to with Santander they just keep telling me to phone them and cancel that way. Am I not better doing this in writing as I have proof then that i have done it? Should I just send a letter to my local branch?
    Dec 2015 Wins : On-line Raw food course Ugg Boots
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 14,018 Posts
    • 13,275 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi All, I have cancelled my dd's I am now trying to sort my CPA, i apologise if this is a stupid question, i have a template letter to cancel my CPA, but when i try and get a contact for whom I should send this to with Santander they just keep telling me to phone them and cancel that way. Am I not better doing this in writing as I have proof then that i have done it? Should I just send a letter to my local branch?
    Originally posted by roo-dee
    No, do this over the phone, and do it quick.

Time will be ticking on this one.

Another tip, report your debt card as lost/stolen, you will receive another one in the post with a different number that your creditors will not know, so will not be able to take payment.

This works 100% despite the CPA.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • roo-dee
    • By roo-dee 17th May 18, 12:55 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    roo-dee
    Thank you so much Sourcrates, I will do that
    Dec 2015 Wins : On-line Raw food course Ugg Boots
    • Brogden
    • By Brogden 17th May 18, 8:02 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    Brogden

Originally posted by January2015
    PRA really are a complete enigma!

They could not produce anything when I made a CCA request at the start of 2016. I did speak to them at that time and stopped paying the small monthly payment I was making to them but I seem to have had the same sort of experience as everybody else.........the people you speak to seem to have been 'brainwashed' so they just don't understand the word 'unenforcable.' Is this poor training or are they just 'acting?'

The letters offering partial settlement are not reducing as fast as Jan's. After more than two years of nil payments:-

February2018: 85%
    April 2018: 80%

I will settle for a small figure of say 10% if it ever gets that low. My thinking is.....if they don't understand 'unenforcable' will they in four years understand 'statute barred?' If they don't I will have unfinished business and letters and statements coming through the door for the rest of my life!

I DO want to draw a line under this. I am sorry PRA for treating you so badly but 'morally' I owe you nothing. I owed the bank not you. I didn't choose to be dealing with you and you shouldn't have been so inept and stupid as to buy a debt which isn't enforcable! You complete PRATS!!!!

None the less........I do want rid of you when the time is right.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 17th May 18, 11:11 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Suseka97
    PRA really are a complete enigma! ............I will settle for a small figure of say 10% if it ever gets that low. My thinking is.....if they don't understand 'unenforcable' will they in four years understand 'statute barred?' If they don't I will have unfinished business and letters and statements coming through the door for the rest of my life! .....
    Originally posted by Brogden
    Looking at the discounts offered they've increased it by 5% over two months which is a start The way I look at it is that if you reach that magic '6 years, statute barred' moment, then it really won't matter if they do continue to send letters. Me, I'd just treat them like the rest of the junk mail we receive, unsolicited, these days and bin them. There is a template letter available (probably over on the NEDCAB site) that you could use at that point to remind them of the legislation and leave it at that. But hopefully you'll get a decent settlement offer way before it reaches that point. At the end of the day, they are better getting 10% of what's owed rather than nothing.
    Self-managed Aug17
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 17th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Just a quick update re PRA and UE situation (not wanting to take the focus of what this thread is about, DMPs). I've just received a statement from them regarding my account, the one they've been calling about lately, and low and behold they've sent me an statement and have offered a 10% discount to clear the account. So I guess I'm now on their 'discount countdown'... watch this space... but get a good book because methinks it might take a while
    Self-managed Aug17
    • ayupmeduck
    • By ayupmeduck 17th May 18, 1:08 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ayupmeduck
    2 new letters from Natwest today. One is the about my OD asking for payment arrangements/income & expenditure. The other is about my loan and the fact that if I don't pay the arrears within 28 days, a default with be recorded against me and my account will be transferred to their debt recovery area.

So how long will it take for my account to be finally sent to a DCA? Also I was under the impression that they had agreed to my DMP maybe this is just paper work they have to complete etc. Should I continue to pay them their £1 and increase my payment in July as planned?
    Debt: 13066 (March 2018) | Weight loss: 0/25kg
    • ayupmeduck
    • By ayupmeduck 17th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ayupmeduck
    Also Very (NCO) has me as a DM since December 2017 but changed to AR March 2018 and JD WIlliams has me as AA for December 2017 & January 2018 then OK February 2018 and DM March 2018. I haven't paid either the full amount since December 2017 and they both show as 'up to date' on Noddle.

If they stay as DM, there isn't a chance of me doing a full & final for either is there? Very say they default after a year of not meeting payments but isn't DM basically saying I am?

Should I just refuse to pay either?
    Debt: 13066 (March 2018) | Weight loss: 0/25kg
    • F19FOX
    • By F19FOX 17th May 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    F19FOX
    PRA really are a complete enigma!

They could not produce anything when I made a CCA request at the start of 2016. I did speak to them at that time and stopped paying the small monthly payment I was making to them but I seem to have had the same sort of experience as everybody else.........the people you speak to seem to have been 'brainwashed' so they just don't understand the word 'unenforcable.' Is this poor training or are they just 'acting?'

The letters offering partial settlement are not reducing as fast as Jan's. After more than two years of nil payments:-

February2018: 85%
    April 2018: 80%

I will settle for a small figure of say 10% if it ever gets that low. My thinking is.....if they don't understand 'unenforcable' will they in four years understand 'statute barred?' If they don't I will have unfinished business and letters and statements coming through the door for the rest of my life!

I DO want to draw a line under this. I am sorry PRA for treating you so badly but 'morally' I owe you nothing. I owed the bank not you. I didn't choose to be dealing with you and you shouldn't have been so inept and stupid as to buy a debt which isn't enforcable! You complete PRATS!!!!

None the less........I do want rid of you when the time is right.
    Originally posted by Brogden
    Just a quick update re PRA and UE situation (not wanting to take the focus of what this thread is about, DMPs). I've just received a statement from them regarding my account, the one they've been calling about lately, and low and behold they've sent me an statement and have offered a 10% discount to clear the account. So I guess I'm now on their 'discount countdown'... watch this space... but get a good book because methinks it might take a while
    Originally posted by Suseka97
    Hi Brogden & Suseka
    I really don't understand how PRA decide their F&F settlement figures as I have two debts with them , both defaulted in May 2016 and both for similar balances. One of them they pro-actively wrote to me in Nov 2017 offering a F&F settlement with a 35% discount off the outstanding balance. The other one I have heard nothing.
    I didn't take up their F&F settlement offer because I don't have the funds available. I've since found this forum and wrote to all my CC creditors to request copies of the CCAs to see if any are UE. So that offer from PRA was without me knowing if it's UE or not. I've had an acknowledgement back of my CCA request from PRA but nothing else as yet. I have had one reply from Tesco and they have sent me copies of my CCA. I dont know if it's enforceable or not but I think the advice on here seems to be to look on the AAD forum. I would be interested to hear from anyone as to how they ascertained if their CCA is UE or not and what's the process with AAD as it wasnt clear to me when I looked or maybe I'm just being thick
    Thanks
    Last edited by F19FOX; 17-05-2018 at 2:35 PM.
    • Annec1414
    • By Annec1414 17th May 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Annec1414
    Need to take the plunge, but so scared!
    Hi All,

I guess I'm after some reassurance please! I've contacted Step Change and have been recommended a DMP - basically £32k in debt on credit cards / loan - interest rates killing me, so just need to take the plunge and fill in the paperwork and return it.

Problem is, I'm so scared. I know this is going to have a huge and negative impact on my credit score. But I'm also really worried about getting chasing letters from the card companies, horrible phone calls and just don't really know what to expect... feels like I'm just stood on the side of a cliff waiting to jump!

Feels like I've ruined everything for my family because of my over spending on general day to day stuff - wish there was another way...

Thanks for reading.
    x
    • torheb
    • By torheb 17th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    torheb
    Hi just a bit of advice really we!!!8217;ve just hit the 1 year mark and have completed the sc review - I got a letter from creation asking for i&e 3 bank statements and payslips - do I ignore this as they!!!8217;ll presumably get a letter from sc soon - also mbna don!!!8217;t seem to want to stop interest and charges any one had any luck with them and have any tips!
    • torheb
    • By torheb 17th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    torheb
    Hi Annec1414, we started out StepChange dmp 1 year ago, we got letters but not masses and when checking on here we were reassured they were just the standard letters - we!!!8217;ve had no phone calls - lots of the creditors have been good - a few haven!!!8217;t exactly played ball but it hasn!!!8217;t been that stressful - I!!!8217;d say don!!!8217;t make your budget too tight - we try to save a bit each month, and then if we want to treat ourselves we can - you still need to live. You kind of don!!!8217;t care about your credit score because you know you can!!!8217;t apply for anything - I!!!8217;ve done insurance renewals and energy renewals on monthly plans without an issue so far. It!!!8217;s really not so bad try not to worry it!!!8217;s a positive step because you!!!8217;re getting in control of your situation. Theres so much help on here too - good luck and dont worry
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,210Posts Today

7,164Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin