Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 14,368Posts
    • 13,552Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 165
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 27,352 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Great post, Suseka. It will give heart and reassurance to newbies and also those a bit further on in their 'journey' who are experiencing a temporary wobble.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: £1988.00+. June: £315.12

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9618
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • Summer12
    • By Summer12 10th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Summer12
    Sorry to hear that when you were all primed ready to go

Can I ask, did this message appear when you actually tried to submit scans to Niddy or at some other stage? Did they give a date when normal service will be resumed? I've been on the site and haven't seen this message yet. Still need to scan my paperwork, am having so many ongoing problems with my scanner software. Don't want to waste time on it this weekend if there's no immediate point.

As for your other points, please try not to worry.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi Carbootcrazy

Thank you for your support it means a lot. Couldnt get through this without you lot!

The message (via email) appeared about an hour after emailing the documents through and it literally said I will be back in two weeks, bear with me. So as you point out no return date as such. Iím thinking that tonight I may post a proper thread on the AAD boards as I think thatís what you are supposed to do and then itís more likely to get picked up and looked at. Had another 1999 one returned yesterday and it looks enforceable to me but Iíll get it checked out.

Good luck with yours. Any updates and I will post back on here. X
    • Summer12
    • By Summer12 10th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Summer12
    Just a very quick query- has anyone had trouble getting letters through to Barclaycard re: CCA request. I!!!8217;ve tried 3 times now recorded delivery to addresses they advertise as theres including the Leicester customer services. To have none of them signed for and coming up (on Royal Mail system) as still going through the postal network. Wondering if its a tactic that they dont sign for letters......!!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 27,352 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi Carbootcrazy

Thank you for your support it means a lot. Couldnt get through this without you lot!

The message (via email) appeared about an hour after emailing the documents through and it literally said I will be back in two weeks, bear with me. So as you point out no return date as such. Iím thinking that tonight I may post a proper thread on the AAD boards as I think thatís what you are supposed to do and then itís more likely to get picked up and looked at. Had another 1999 one returned yesterday and it looks enforceable to me but Iíll get it checked out.

Good luck with yours. Any updates and I will post back on here. X
    Originally posted by Summer12
    Thank you

If you start a thread or UE Diary on AAD other people will see it and chip in to answer any queries or give reassurance. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on there who are totally non-judgemental.

The only way to get CCA paperwork checked though is by sending it to Niddy as he is the only one allowed to see it and respond to it. Still, two weeks isn't all that long in the DMP journey is it? He is usually pretty quick to reply when he's available, although he may have a backlog to wade through when he gets back after two weeks

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 14,368 Posts
    • 13,552 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Just a very quick query- has anyone had trouble getting letters through to Barclaycard re: CCA request. I!!!8217;ve tried 3 times now recorded delivery to addresses they advertise as theres including the Leicester customer services. To have none of them signed for and coming up (on Royal Mail system) as still going through the postal network. Wondering if its a tactic that they dont sign for letters......!!
    Posted this before, but mail to these large companies is delivered in bulk, if your lucky, your recorded delivery letter may get sent to reception, or the post room to be signed for, but knowing Royal Mail as i do, it is more likely to be included with the bulk mail.

Posties like to be in and out of these places, not having to hang around for signatures.

You will find the problem lies with Royal Mail rather than Barclaycard.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Summer12
    • By Summer12 10th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Summer12
    Posted this before, but mail to these large companies is delivered in bulk, if your lucky, your recorded delivery letter may get sent to reception, or the post room to be signed for, but knowing Royal Mail as i do, it is more likely to be included with the bulk mail.

Posties like to be in and out of these places, not having to hang around for signatures.

You will find the problem lies with Royal Mail rather than Barclaycard.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Of course! Bulk delivery of mail ....makes sense now. Will just relax and sit tight on that one. Will send my message about being in financial difficulties via the online banking message service so least they get it a bit quicker/ or actually see it after payday ( lots of different debts with the bank of blue as I can them! ) Thank you.
    • davestones
    • By davestones 10th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    davestones
    All he letters to my creditors and stepchange have been posted today notifying that I am starting my own DMP.

CCA requests will be sent on Monday. However please can someone explain in idiot terms what exactly I am looking for to make a debt potentially unenforceable in regard to these? I have read various threads but haven!!!8217;t managed to come across a complete !!!8220;guide for dummies!!!8221; yet...
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 14,368 Posts
    • 13,552 Thanks
    sourcrates
    All he letters to my creditors and stepchange have been posted today notifying that I am starting my own DMP.

CCA requests will be sent on Monday. However please can someone explain in idiot terms what exactly I am looking for to make a debt potentially unenforceable in regard to these? I have read various threads but havent managed to come across a complete guide for dummies yet...
    Originally posted by davestones
    Ok,

The first issue is, if the creditor can provide a copy of your credit agreement or not, either of the original, or a reconstituted copy.

If they can, and its a legible, true copy of what you signed, then that would comply with the legislation, there is no requirement for a signature to be on it.

But, if your account pre-dates April 2007, then any copy agreement sent to you must also include the prescribed terms applicable to that account, if they are not there, it is non compliant.
    (court has already ruled on this). this mainly applies only to credit card agreements, as normally the terms are set out within the agreement for a loan etc.

If in any doubt, get it checked out on the AAD (all about debt) forum.

• ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 10th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Just popping in to see how everyone is getting on and its great to read some of the good news stories of UE successes, debts written off and also great to see advice being given to many who are at the start of their DMP journey.

So a message to all you newcomers... I started on this journey around 5 years ago and like you felt sick with worry about the whole situation. Also felt extremely embarrassed and guilty (seriously) about not being able to manage my financial affairs anymore. It does take a while to get your head around the whole process and although having the benefit of hindsight it's easy for me to say - my advice to you is not to try and rush everything along and don't fret if things seem to be moving at a snails pace at first. If you are using the services of an agent such as SC or Payplan then just let things take their course. Once you've informed creditors your entering into discussions with SC or other, stop making those non-priority payments and don't stress over the letters that will inevitably drop through your letter box. Pretty much all of the letters are automatically generated and threats of a default are simply part of their collection processes. Do realise that its often the case of the 'right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing' and you'll receive contradictory or conflicting information from them from time to time. I made token payments for a short while, but as Sourcrates and Fatbelly will tell you, there's really no need to - unless it makes you feel better of course

Do try to sit back and let things take their natural course and take a deep breath when the fear of the unknown starts to get the better of you - take heart that you are not alone and things will get better. Your DMP will eventually settle into its natural rhythm and if you arm yourself with knowledge by doing your research, reading online about debt management and going back through this thread, you'll feel empowered and able to handle creditors/DCAs with ease.

I'm still waiting to hear from Link who really can't seem to get their act together - I ended up emailing them because they seem unable to respond to written letters and made it clear it would be my last correspondence and that the ball is in their courts with regards to fulfilling their obligations on the 3 x CCA requests submitted. So now as far as I'm concerned the 'statute barred' clock is ticking. No more contact from PRA who last month confirmed 3 accounts were UE - so long may that last.

Looking forward I'm about to fix my mortgage for 2 or 3 years and as soon as that's sorted I'll intend to start making overpayments. Had some good advice on the mortgage thread about that.

Have a good weekend folks
    Originally posted by Suseka97

We have the same problem with L*nk. Written them another letter after hearing nothing regarding the CCA requests and have advised them we will stop payments now until they comply.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,226. 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 11th Mar 18, 9:00 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Suseka97
    We have the same problem with L*nk. Written them another letter after hearing nothing regarding the CCA requests and have advised them we will stop payments now until they comply.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    Link are dreadful at handling CCA requests in my experience. They never acknowledged receipt of the CCA letters, although having sent them tracked I could see they had been received and signed for. It took them over 3 months before they sent what they claim was the correct paperwork, but in each letter it stated a 'reconstituted copy of the agreement' was enclosed, but the paperwork was just copies of annual statements and some other blurb about my right to cancel etc. So I wrote back informing them of that, copying back to them everything they'd sent and that's the last I've heard apart from the usual automated rubbish through the door. Balls in their court now -so it's a bit of a waiting game -again!

I do think Link's operation is not as slick as the PRA group and maybe they just can't handle the volume of accounts, or they are just basically incompetent. It's frustrating because I just want to know if the accounts are UE or not and then I'll know where I stand. If they are not UE then I have sufficient funds to start the F&F gaming with them and if UE - great, they'll join the PRA accounts in the pending file and 6 years on they'll all be statute barred or the DCAs would have written them off and I'll never hear from them again - either way its a win win in my book.
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / £11k o/s
    • NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 11th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    Bank Overdraft
    Hi

Could someone please advise me? I have my new basic account set up, transferred all DD's, wages going in at the end of the month. Do I just tell them the same as I did to my other creditors about financial difficulties? I don't know why I am so apprehensive about talking to the bank!!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 14,368 Posts
    • 13,552 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi

Could someone please advise me? I have my new basic account set up, transferred all DD's, wages going in at the end of the month. Do I just tell them the same as I did to my other creditors about financial difficulties? I don't know why I am so apprehensive about talking to the bank!!
    Originally posted by NewbieNat
    Yep, they are just another unsecured creditor, treat the same as the others basically.

• NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 11th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    Yep, they are just another unsecured creditor, treat the same as the others basically.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thanks Sourcrates,

I think I just needed that confirmation One more question. When I say to my creditors that I need more time to set up my DMP (for EM), should I give them my SC reference number? I really need a few months before setting it up.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 14,368 Posts
    • 13,552 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks Sourcrates,

I think I just needed that confirmation One more question. When I say to my creditors that I need more time to set up my DMP (for EM), should I give them my SC reference number? I really need a few months before setting it up.
    Originally posted by NewbieNat
    Its up to you Nat, the way i would deal with it would be to formulate a plan in my head, write and tell your creditors what you are doing, then just do it.

Don`t keep finding little things to worry about, just tell them what you intend to do, and then do it.

If that means saving for an EF then so be it.

• NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 11th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    Thanks again Sourcrates. Yes, I really am a worry wort today. I'll take your advice & tell them when my DMP will start. I have just sent a secure message to a CC company as they agreed to a 30 day break,but I'm getting 5 or 6 calls a day from their collections department and they have added charges too. I'm getting there :-)
    • Summer12
    • By Summer12 11th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Summer12
    Hi Nat

I!!!8217;m just the same, cant seem to think of anything else worrying all the time but like Sourcrates has said I!!!8217;ve got a plan and I!!!8217;m sure a few of them won!!!8217;t like it but tough because I!!!8217;ve had over a month of worrying about it now so im fed up with it. Im contacting mine at end of month after pay day (to make sure it goes wher it!!!8217;s meant to). Taking the 30 day break to sort I &E and then for 6 months token payments only. I doubt they will like it but we have no EF at all so that!!!8217;s what it will have to be. I also spoken to my mobile company who will change my mobile number for free so they will all be limited to writing contact only as it should be. Good luck x
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 27,352 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Link are dreadful at handling CCA requests in my experience. They never acknowledged receipt of the CCA letters, although having sent them tracked I could see they had been received and signed for. It took them over 3 months before they sent what they claim was the correct paperwork, but in each letter it stated a 'reconstituted copy of the agreement' was enclosed, but the paperwork was just copies of annual statements and some other blurb about my right to cancel etc. So I wrote back informing them of that, copying back to them everything they'd sent and that's the last I've heard apart from the usual automated rubbish through the door. Balls in their court now -so it's a bit of a waiting game -again!

I do think Link's operation is not as slick as the PRA group and maybe they just can't handle the volume of accounts, or they are just basically incompetent. It's frustrating because I just want to know if the accounts are UE or not and then I'll know where I stand. If they are not UE then I have sufficient funds to start the F&F gaming with them and if UE - great, they'll join the PRA accounts in the pending file and 6 years on they'll all be statute barred or the DCAs would have written them off and I'll never hear from them again - either way its a win win in my book.
    Originally posted by Suseka97
    I agree about Link being hopeless at communicating. Like you, they didn't acknowledge my 2 CCA request and I too only knew they had them because I sent the requests by 'signed for' mail which I could trace.

Both my debts with Link were old MBNA credit card ones and they took ages to send me anything. They did write eventually and tell me that one was unenforceable because MBNA couldn't supply the required documentation. The next day they sent paperwork for the other MBNA debt which they say is compliant but as both cards were taken out with MBNA at round about the same time (late 1990s) I can't understand why they have paperwork for one and not the other. As soon as I get my scanner sorted I'll be sending that over to AAD for their expert opinion. Looks OK to me but who knows?

At least Link don't bother me with phone calls and demands through the post, never have done actually so I should maybe be grateful for their poor communication. I've found Wescot more difficult to deal with actually although they've been very reasonable when I had to phone them recently.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 11-03-2018 at 3:22 PM.

• NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 11th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    Hi Nat

I!!!8217;m just the same, cant seem to think of anything else worrying all the time but like Sourcrates has said I!!!8217;ve got a plan and I!!!8217;m sure a few of them won!!!8217;t like it but tough because I!!!8217;ve had over a month of worrying about it now so im fed up with it. Im contacting mine at end of month after pay day (to make sure it goes wher it!!!8217;s meant to). Taking the 30 day break to sort I &E and then for 6 months token payments only. I doubt they will like it but we have no EF at all so that!!!8217;s what it will have to be. I also spoken to my mobile company who will change my mobile number for free so they will all be limited to writing contact only as it should be. Good luck x
    Hi Summer
    I think we all worry too much, I certainly do! Hopefully this time next year we'll be saying it's all going OK and why did we stress so much. We might even be offering advice to others starting out on their DMP
    • NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 11th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    Good luck to you too!! x
    • EmergencyNurse
    • By EmergencyNurse 11th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    EmergencyNurse
    1: DMP forms sent to SC

2: Confirmation of bank account due tomorrow - use back up CU account if not.

3: Contact payroll when new account confirmed

4: Start plan in April giving payroll enough notice to change payment to new bank account.

5: Make sure all non priority DD are cancelled

6: SC to contact creditors

7: Transfer all priority DD & SO to new account

8: Let the DMP do its thing

9: Enjoy work again

10: Enjoy my life again
    Debt March 2018 £27,596 DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2022
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,601Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin