Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 14,030Posts
    • 13,286Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 164
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 9th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Do different creditors actually speak to each other I wonder.... so telling one about financial difficulties will get back to the others before Iím ready.
    Originally posted by Summer12
    Most of them don't even talk to each other internally.. the left hand never seems to know what the right hand is doing..
    Christmas 2018 £250 cash/£74 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 54% done
    £60062/27269.76 - 12068k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £520.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 9th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 26,777 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    To all the new people having wobbles at the start of their DMP, please don't worry. Easier said than done but we've all been through that gut-wrenching first stage and know from experience that nothing terrible will happen. Letters take ages to arrive, cross in the post etc etc. Creditors aren't going to do anything horrible just because they sent you a letter several days ago. In my experience, things progress really slowly and everything works out OK in the end.

Can I just ask a quick question please to those with UE debts? I want to tell one of my creditors that as I know the debt is UE, (contrary to what they told me) I won't be paying anything further. I've already stopped paying even the token £1 they were getting before, but they write to me every week asking for payment and I want to tell them once and for all that I'm not paying because the debt is UE. My query is who I write to, the DCA who is managing/collecting the debt or the actual owner of the debt. It's the DCA who write to me. I suppose the answer is blindingly obvious but want to make sure. There seems to be little communication and/or crossed wires between the DCA and the debt owner.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: £757.05+. May: £1209.25

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9998
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • EmergencyNurse
    • By EmergencyNurse 9th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    EmergencyNurse
    See my answers in red
    Originally posted by January2015
    Thank you January2015, you're a star.
    I contacted SC this morning before seeing your reply. You are absolutely spot on with your advice. Definitely need to pay BNPL of asap the interest is a shocker!!

Definitely want to pay off a loan with a credit union too, not financially savvy but I think its morally the right thing to do seeing as they were there when I really needed them.

Onwards and upwards.
    Debt March 2018 £27,596 DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2022
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 9th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    To all the new people having wobbles at the start of their DMP, please don't worry. Easier said than done but we've all been through that gut-wrenching first stage and know from experience that nothing terrible will happen. Letters take ages to arrive, cross in the post etc etc. Creditors aren't going to do anything horrible just because they sent you a letter several days ago. In my experience, things progress really slowly and everything works out OK in the end.

Can I just ask a quick question please to those with UE debts? I want to tell one of my creditors that as I know the debt is UE, (contrary to what they told me) I won't be paying anything further. I've already stopped paying even the token £1 they were getting before, but they write to me every week asking for payment and I want to tell them once and for all that I'm not paying because the debt is UE. My query is who I write to, the DCA who is managing/collecting the debt or the actual owner of the debt. It's the DCA who write to me. I suppose the answer is blindingly obvious but want to make sure. There seems to be little communication and/or crossed wires between the DCA and the debt owner.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi cbc,

With my groundhog day ue debt I ended up writing to everyone as it kept getting passed around so maybe do both from the start!

Puzz
    Christmas 2018 £250 cash/£74 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 54% done
    £60062/27269.76 - 12068k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £520.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • selinek
    • By selinek 9th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    selinek
    Ooh that's interesting. Well done. Ours were all defaulted before being sold to L*nk. So I am imagining they will stay on the CF for the 6 years. Still waiting to hear from L*nk regarding CCA requests. Wrote on 31 Jan and not even had an acknowledgement, despite a second letter to check it they had received it.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    I have 3 with link. CCA went in last September 17. Not any acknowledgement from them either. Had the statement of account but nothing else. As it stands all 3 are UE. I will let nature take its course and respond if I need to.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 9th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 26,777 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi cbc,

With my groundhog day ue debt I ended up writing to everyone as it kept getting passed around so maybe do both from the start!

Puzz
    Originally posted by Puzzcat
    Thanks, Puzz

Have done as you suggest and posted them both this afternoon

• Danny008
    • By Danny008 9th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Danny008
    Iíve just had my first debt which has been sold on. Can the DCA taking over still add interest while Iím still saving my EF.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 14,030 Posts
    • 13,286 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Iíve just had my first debt which has been sold on. Can the DCA taking over still add interest while Iím still saving my EF.
    Originally posted by Danny008
    Debt collection agencies/debt purchasers can only add interest if the original agreement allows them to do so.

Most agreements do not allow for this.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Daisypop
    • By Daisypop 9th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Daisypop
    Hi guys need your help.
    Had a debt with shop direct (Very) and debt passed to Arrow Global. Debt never defaulted and paid off in 2015 so will be on my record for 6 years from then.
    I contacted Arrow who have basically said they have not defaulted as I never missed a payment but I should have contacted Shop direct shouldnt I? If passed to Arrow should it be classed as defaulted? My credit report says DM because of the DMP.
    How can I get it changed? Contact Shop Direct? Should it not be automatically defaulted and marked as that by Arrow? I do not know how to approach it but need to sort it. All others defaulted me in 2012 when DMP started so want it backdating .
    Credit report says account start July 2012 but only starts from March 2013 and says ok up until Feb 2014 then is marked DM. This could be when it was passed to Arrow but I dont know.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Daisypop; 09-03-2018 at 9:24 PM.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 9th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 5,147 Thanks
    January2015
    Originally posted by Danny008
    Debt collection agencies/debt purchasers can only add interest if the original agreement allows them to do so.

Most agreements do not allow for this.
    Originally posted by sourcrates

Has the debt definitely been sold or is the DCA just collecting for the original creditor. That does happen sometimes
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 26,777 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    ....... auto reply from AAD no one around for 2 weeks to look at returned CCA replies....
    Originally posted by Summer12
    Sorry to hear that when you were all primed ready to go

Can I ask, did this message appear when you actually tried to submit scans to Niddy or at some other stage? Did they give a date when normal service will be resumed? I've been on the site and haven't seen this message yet. Still need to scan my paperwork, am having so many ongoing problems with my scanner software. Don't want to waste time on it this weekend if there's no immediate point.

As for your other points, please try not to worry.

• Zerodebtsoon
    • By Zerodebtsoon 10th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Zerodebtsoon
    So weí ve bitten the bullet today and gone self managed after being with Stepchange for 3 years. Stepchange have been advised by email. Weíre overseas so I emailed the 2 creditors I had email addresses for ( prat and rob*ns*n way) advising weíre going self managed and including a revised financial statement and new offer of (much lower) payments. I also attached a PDF copy of the CCA request letter that Iíve said will be posted to them this week with the required £1 fee.
    I donít have contact details for the other two creditors as have had no correspondence from them since we moved - Stepchange should be able to provide an address to me I guess though ? That or Iíll google their debt recovery department and call for an address next week.
    At first i worried about rocking the boat as the dmp with Stepchange had always run smoothly. But now weíve done it I feel quite liberated
    • NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 10th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    'Very' unreasonable
    I have posted previously about Very. My BNPL is only £100, If I delay my DMP for 6 months I can pay the whole balance off and be rid of them.To do this I would tell my other creditors I will pay a token £1.00 each for the 6 months. Do they have to accept this without seeing my I & E? How do I approach SC? Do nothing for 6 months & then start the plan, or tell them I'll start in 6 months? The way I see it if I pay off Very, there will be more money in the pot to pay the others. Also will the creditors not be agreeable to delaying the DMP?

Sorry so many questions, but I need an action plan!
    • Jeff78
    • By Jeff78 10th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeff78
    Hi all

New to dmp and itís just set up for April. I have just my loan on my dmp as cannot afford the repayments due to income dropping. I have a credit card on 0% which I havenít added and a catalogue which amount is low. I didnít want to add these as managing ok. Will this effect my dmp ? Can SC and Tesco know about of debts you havenít mentioned ?

Many thanks
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 10th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 10,505 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Most of them don't even talk to each other internally.. the left hand never seems to know what the right hand is doing..
    Originally posted by Puzzcat

So true

Just wanted to add for the newbies. Some of you right now will be feeling like you are Terrible people, you're not, facing up to debt is a massive challenge and if you got this far, you can get it sorted out.

A DMP like everything is a learning opportunity and this thread will help you make judgements about the best way to go, but it may not work for the best first time, but the world won't end and you can sort it out. Never give up and always keep an eye on your repayments and statements.

Never forget, this is the thread for the good guys, not running away but learning to deal with debts. Welcome aboard and settle in to the marathon.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 10th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 10,505 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Hi all

New to dmp and itís just set up for April. I have just my loan on my dmp as cannot afford the repayments due to income dropping. I have a credit card on 0% which I havenít added and a catalogue which amount is low. I didnít want to add these as managing ok. Will this effect my dmp ? Can SC and Tesco know about of debts you havenít mentioned ?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Jeff78
    Hi I cleared a Santander loan several months into my DMP which I'd not included on the DMP. No one ever mentioned it.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
    • Jeff78
    • By Jeff78 10th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeff78
    Where you with stepchange ? So should be ok ?
    • Jeff78
    • By Jeff78 10th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeff78
    We!!!8217;re you with Step change ? So should be ok ?
    • Jeff78
    • By Jeff78 10th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeff78
    Hi I cleared a Santander loan several months into my DMP which I'd not included on the DMP. No one ever mentioned it.

Saz
    Originally posted by Sazzie23
    Were you with Stepchange ? So should be ok ?
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 10th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Just popping in to see how everyone is getting on and its great to read some of the good news stories of UE successes, debts written off and also great to see advice being given to many who are at the start of their DMP journey.

So a message to all you newcomers... I started on this journey around 5 years ago and like you felt sick with worry about the whole situation. Also felt extremely embarrassed and guilty (seriously) about not being able to manage my financial affairs anymore. It does take a while to get your head around the whole process and although having the benefit of hindsight it's easy for me to say - my advice to you is not to try and rush everything along and don't fret if things seem to be moving at a snails pace at first. If you are using the services of an agent such as SC or Payplan then just let things take their course. Once you've informed creditors your entering into discussions with SC or other, stop making those non-priority payments and don't stress over the letters that will inevitably drop through your letter box. Pretty much all of the letters are automatically generated and threats of a default are simply part of their collection processes. Do realise that its often the case of the 'right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing' and you'll receive contradictory or conflicting information from them from time to time. I made token payments for a short while, but as Sourcrates and Fatbelly will tell you, there's really no need to - unless it makes you feel better of course

Do try to sit back and let things take their natural course and take a deep breath when the fear of the unknown starts to get the better of you - take heart that you are not alone and things will get better. Your DMP will eventually settle into its natural rhythm and if you arm yourself with knowledge by doing your research, reading online about debt management and going back through this thread, you'll feel empowered and able to handle creditors/DCAs with ease.

I'm still waiting to hear from Link who really can't seem to get their act together - I ended up emailing them because they seem unable to respond to written letters and made it clear it would be my last correspondence and that the ball is in their courts with regards to fulfilling their obligations on the 3 x CCA requests submitted. So now as far as I'm concerned the 'statute barred' clock is ticking. No more contact from PRA who last month confirmed 3 accounts were UE - so long may that last.

Looking forward I'm about to fix my mortgage for 2 or 3 years and as soon as that's sorted I'll intend to start making overpayments. Had some good advice on the mortgage thread about that.

Have a good weekend folks
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / £11k o/s
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,083Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin