Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 14,304Posts
    • 13,517Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 143
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 14,304 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi

Feeling a bit brighter about things thanks to you guys! Can someone confirm if anyone at anytime can request a copy of the credit card agreement to check if a debt is enforceable or only when an account has defaulted? I ask because going through the figures I noticed that barclaycard bill is £360 per month with only £20 of that going towards the debt. That!!!8217;s crazy and I may aswell be starting my dmp and only paying them £20! (It comes out by dd so ashamed to say I!!!8217;ve never looked at it closely before). I!!!8217;ve been a customer since 1997 and that!!!8217;s the interest rate you get for being loyal I guess!!
    Originally posted by Summer12
    You can make a sec 77/79 request for information (CCA request) at any time so long as a balance remains on the account.

It is one of your rights under the consumer credit act 1974.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• kram
    • By kram 10th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    kram
    Ok I will be brave and call them all on the same day,I did speak to very nice people yesterday and I managed to be polite but firm,they asked me lots of questions and I just told them that it was all handed over to Stepchange now so they would have to wait for hem to get in touch
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Just remember these people are normal customer service & only pass your info on they have no knowledge about debt stuff & can be quite cumbersome with there questions etc.
    • alana171
    • By alana171 10th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    alana171
    Evening! I had to redo my DMP budget as I was made redundant last month, if found a new job but itís £100 less a month and I also now have a car which I have to insure and run (previously had company car) anyway my question is this - my DMP has increased to 12 years but with defaults being knocked off records after 5 does this mean that in 6/7/8 years time I would be able to apply for a new mortgage etc (remortgage) and not have those defaults hanging over my head?
    Emergency Fund £100/£1000
    DMP Debt Free Date January 2023
    • January2015
    • By January2015 10th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    January2015
    Sourcrates: In your experience an online cca from 2011 should be compliant....they obviously know there is something in the terms that's not?

I would like to settle the account so its closed and done but I don't want to offer more than 10% and surely they would accept that knowing it a unenforceable.... I am going to read back on January's posts as I know she partially settled a few unenforceables so I will see what she managed it for.
    Originally posted by KID77
    Hi

I settled one UE for 10% of the outstanding balance - approx £12k balance, settled for £1.2k I realise I didn't need to settle as it was UE but I wanted it put to bed and dealt with and no potential for any future disputes over the debt. My choice and I'm happy with that result
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • KID77
    • By KID77 11th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    KID77
    That's my thoughts too January, would like it closed. Reading back through your posts, it sounds like you had to haggle to get 10% though?
    DMP Number 437
    LBM May 2015 47k in debt
    Starting DMP 1st July 2015
    • Brogden
    • By Brogden 11th Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    Brogden
    It has been a long time since I posted here and I hope everybody is well.

From a position of too many unsecured debts to even mention, I now have only two left. I have a payment arrangement with one but the other is (I believe) unenforcable. This has not been confirmed....paperwork has been promised but two years ago.....

I hesitate to raise the the subject 'unenforcable' as I was attacked by a person on the forum when I started discussion on this subject some time ago. I am hoping they have lost interest and gone away!

The debt is with the PRA Group. It is now two years since I made the CCA request and two years since any payment was made. It is also two years since I spoke or wrote to them. They send letters offering a very small discount now and then as they do to everybody.

I would gladly make a small settlement to have this closed and am very interested in the approach January made to secure a 90% discount on an UE debt. The last time I spoke to PRA (early 2016) I mentioned this was UE and they should take account of this but I might as well have been saying it to our cat. My words were totally lost.

I appreciate this debt may be statute barred after another four years (two already gone) and I would certainly muck that up if I wrote to them with a settlement offer!

If anybody has any thoughts please let me know.

Kindest regards to all.
    • Daisypop
    • By Daisypop 11th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Daisypop
    Hi all
    Just another question if you kind people
    Can answer.
    Letters ready to go to creditors stating going self managed and one to Stepchange to cancel the DMP with them.
    Have done income and expenditure but I have a large vets bill to pay £300 . Do I state this to my creditors as well as my other outgoings? I want to have 3 months break or maybe 6 months as I also have a problem with my bathroom, we had a leak and my floor is cut up and shower is broken well on its last legs and we dont have a bath so I need to get that sorted. I just dont know whether I should say this to my creditors so they can see IVe got some things to pay out or would they not be interested?
    Been on plan for 5 years never missed any payments but Stepchange arent flexible enough. Have tried to negotiate full and finals and have got nowhere. 2 of my debts were unenforceable so accounts have been closed and really want to try and get rest paid off too.
    Maybe if I make token payments for 6 months this will enable me to sort out my bathroom, pay vets bill and then they may settle?
    I know some of you have done this I suppose Im after reassurance I won get hassled to death off them.
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Daisypop; 11-02-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 11th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Suseka97
    ......The debt is with the PRA Group. It is now two years since I made the CCA request and two years since any payment was made. It is also two years since I spoke or wrote to them. They send letters offering a very small discount now and then as they do to everybody.
    I would gladly make a small settlement to have this closed and am very interested in the approach January made to secure a 90% discount on an UE debt. The last time I spoke to PRA (early 2016) I mentioned this was UE and they should take account of this but I might as well have been saying it to our cat. My words were totally lost. I appreciate this debt may be statute barred after another four years (two already gone) and I would certainly muck that up if I wrote to them with a settlement offer! If anybody has any thoughts please let me know.
    Kindest regards to all.
    Originally posted by Brogden
    Well done for getting to where you are now and I'm sorry to hear that you experienced some sort of 'troll behaviour' in the past. There are loads of post on this thread now about UE's, so its becoming more mainstream these days

If it were me I'd just leave things alone and carry on as you are. I'm assuming from what you say they've confirmed the account is UE and so all they are doing is sending computer generated letters, because they can't really do anything else. As you say, four years on it'll be statute barred anyway. With that said I realise its a personal choice and some people would rather offer F&Fs just for their own piece of mind and to put the account to bed, so to speak.
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / £11k o/s
    • January2015
    • By January2015 11th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    January2015
    That's my thoughts too January, would like it closed. Reading back through your posts, it sounds like you had to haggle to get 10% though?
    Hi

I didn't haggle for a 10% settlement at all All I did was totally ignore all correspondence for about a year. They kept writing and asking please would I pay and gradually the settlement offer got lower and lower until it reached 10% - which was the only time I responded
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • January2015
    • By January2015 11th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    January2015

From a position of too many unsecured debts to even mention, I now have only two left. I have a payment arrangement with one but the other is (I believe) unenforcable. This has not been confirmed....paperwork has been promised but two years ago.....

I hesitate to raise the the subject 'unenforcable' as I was attacked by a person on the forum when I started discussion on this subject some time ago. I am hoping they have lost interest and gone away!

The debt is with the PRA Group. It is now two years since I made the CCA request and two years since any payment was made. It is also two years since I spoke or wrote to them. They send letters offering a very small discount now and then as they do to everybody.

I would gladly make a small settlement to have this closed and am very interested in the approach January made to secure a 90% discount on an UE debt. The last time I spoke to PRA (early 2016) I mentioned this was UE and they should take account of this but I might as well have been saying it to our cat. My words were totally lost.

I appreciate this debt may be statute barred after another four years (two already gone) and I would certainly muck that up if I wrote to them with a settlement offer!

Kindest regards to all.
    Hi Brogden

So lovely to see you back on the forum I've missed the knight in shining armour

My thoughts are just totally ignore PRAT. That's what I did. If they decide to offer you a decent settlement you are happy with, then at that point you can communicate with them. Otherwise, I would leave this be and keep it rolling towards statute barred

I've had some troll comments (only on rare occasions) when I've mentioned going for UE. I've just developed a thick skin and ignored them. I've decided I need to do what I can, within the law, to get me through to being debt free and anyone who doesn't like what I am doing is entitled to their opinion but that I can just ignore it. They don't know me from Adam and I will never meet them or have a real life conversation with them so I don't really care what they think of me

Seriously - it's lovely to have you back. Don't be a stranger and keep visiting. It's nice to have our virtual friends to support us
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • January2015
    • By January2015 11th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    January2015
    Hi all
    Can answer.
    Letters ready to go to creditors stating going self managed and one to Stepchange to cancel the DMP with them.
    Have done income and expenditure but I have a large vets bill to pay £300 . Do I state this to my creditors as well as my other outgoings? I want to have 3 months break or maybe 6 months as I also have a problem with my bathroom, we had a leak and my floor is cut up and shower is broken well on its last legs and we dont have a bath so I need to get that sorted. I just dont know whether I should say this to my creditors so they can see IVe got some things to pay out or would they not be interested?
    Been on plan for 5 years never missed any payments but Stepchange arent flexible enough. Have tried to negotiate full and finals and have got nowhere. 2 of my debts were unenforceable so accounts have been closed and really want to try and get rest paid off too.
    Maybe if I make token payments for 6 months this will enable me to sort out my bathroom, pay vets bill and then they may settle?
    I know some of you have done this I suppose Im after reassurance I won get hassled to death off them.
    Thanks again
    Originally posted by Daisypop
    Hi

When you write to your creditors just put something like.....I will to make token payments of £1.00 per month between February and July 2018, and subsequently payments of £xx.xx per month as shown on the enclosed income and expenditure statement.

You do not need to justify why you are making token payments for 6 months, but if you are more comfortable you could include a paragraph to explain the vets bills etc.

I did this - no explanation of why - and my creditors were all fine.
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • Daisypop
    • By Daisypop 11th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Daisypop
    Thanks January I think Iíll put in a little note about the vets and bathroom and say 6 months at £1 then X amount.
    Eek scary!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 14,304 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates

Kindest regards to all.
    Welcome back Broggers !!

I would agree with consensus on here, ignore them, and concentrate on the debts that are enforceable.

If they went for court action, you have a full defense.

I`m with January on this.

• selinek
    • By selinek 11th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    selinek
    Hi all
    Can answer.
    Thanks again

I phoned SC and it was dealt within a couple of minutes . I just said Im going self managed , done. Just be sure you save your budget and creditor list before closing SC account, if you haven't done this already. I wrote to creditors telling them that I am going SM and gave them a date when I would start paying due to household emergencies. I didn't explain. They were fine with it. Most are UE , I'm on a different crusade now, but the point creditors accepted when I said without question. Hope this helps in addition to January's advice. You will find this will be the best you would have done in getting onto of your finances.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 27,298 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    However, the fabulous news is that 3 x MBNA debts which were sold to PRA Group as soon as defaulted have come back as unenforceable, this is approx £12k of debt. They have attached paperwork which they say is the paperwork they have been sent so far and based on this its unenforceable blah blah blah. As they have some sort of paperwork which they obvioulsy realise is legally useless, I assume no other paperwork will turn up....
    I would like to get the 3 accounts closed so plan to write to them offering £100 or something as final settlement.
    Just as FYI, the accounts were opened 2005, 2010 and 2011 so it really is worth everyone sending CCA requests.
    I am not holding out much hope for the others but will still follow up as you never know.
    That is wonderful news. What a great result, I'm really chuffed for you

On the other hand I'm totally gutted because 4 out of 5 of my debts (dating from start dates of 1998 up to 2001) have been deemed enforceable whilst your very much more recent debts were not. I can't understand it, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment anyway (other life issues too) and am tending to think 'why me?'

The last straw was a letter I received yesterday from Robinson Way/Hoist about my Tesco Credit Card debt. I submitted a CCA request back in April 2017 and they wrote back every couple of months to thank me for my patience but they were still awaiting Tesco supplying the necessary information. In the meantime payments were 'on hold'. I really thought I'd got away with this one, that they would soon let me know that it was unenforceable because of inability to supply any paperwork. However yesterday they send me copies of the Ts&Cs and my signed application form.

They also say, which I find very interesting:

'.....In the absence of any further disputes we now require you to complete the enclosed financial statement and return this to us confirming your affordable offer of payment.......'

Nowhere do they say that they have complied fully with the CCA and have fulfilled their legal obligations etc etc as all my other creditors did when sending CCA stuff to me.. they merely say:

'......Further to your recent (!!!! --my comment) CCA request for the above account please find enclosed the relevant documents for your attention......'

Am I reading too much into this (wishful thinking for sure) by feeling they are aware this isn't fully compliant and hoping I won't take it any further and just start to pay up?

Sorry, I know it might seem like a strange query, I just feel there's something not quite right here.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: £1988.00+. June: £280.77

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9618
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 11th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    January2015
    Hi CBC

Visit All about Debt forum and ask over there is your CCA is enforceable

Fingers tightly crossed for you
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 11th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Hi all
    Can answer.
    Thanks again
    We are also just starting on SM DMP & as others have said, you do not need to tell your creditors why you are making token payments. I just put..." Due to unexpected household bills". They are all fine with it. Most of them even came back with...." Please contact us if you have any problems meeting these payments". Feels like the best thing we have done.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,226. 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 27,298 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    A quick query on sending updated I&E forms to creditors.

I've been on token payments for about 6 months and at the time I told creditors I'd be doing that they were all fine with it and said they'd review my situation in 6 months. Obviously that time is up as they've all written to me this past week enclosing new I&E forms to complete and send back.

Did any of you return these updated forms or did you just ignore them? I want to stay on token payments as long as possible as I want to offer F&Fs very soon and need as much money as I can save to do it with. I know some of you have been on tokens for well over a year. How did you manage that?
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: £1988.00+. June: £280.77

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9618
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 11th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 16,393 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    A quick query on sending updated I&E forms to creditors.

I've been on token payments for about 6 months and at the time I told creditors I'd be doing that they were all fine with it and said they'd review my situation in 6 months. Obviously that time is up as they've all written to me this past week enclosing new I&E forms to complete and send back.

Did any of you return these updated forms or did you just ignore them? I want to stay on token payments as long as possible as I want to offer F&Fs very soon and need as much money as I can save to do it with. I know some of you have been on tokens for well over a year. How did you manage that?
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC,

I never complete there forms I just send an up to date one of my own which shows I still only have £30 available which I split equally between my 6 creditors that I am paying. None have queried it yet and I have been doing this for quite some time, and will be continuing all the time I am buying a university..!!!

As for UE CCA's do what Jan 2015 said, they came back with 1 UE one for me which the Creditor said was enforceable, this is still going round and round mind..!!!

Love Puzz. x
    Christmas 2018 £300 cash/£74 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 54% done
    £60062/27234.92 - 12068k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £530.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 11th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Now that we are on SM and only paying token payments for 6 months, our DFD looks like miles away. Even when we start the payments in August that the NEDCAB calculator worked out, it will still be 22 years away apparently! I am hoping that the creditors will realise how unlikely it is that they will get all their money and we will get some good F&F's now that we are going to be saving more each month towards them.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,226. 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,400Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin