Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 14,303Posts
    • 13,517Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 138
    • motivated
    • By motivated 3rd Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,205 Posts
    • 4,391 Thanks
    motivated
    So things have changed for the better, and nowadays theirs no reason to fear debt management of any kind, its usually the debtor that needs the convincing something has to change, once you've accepted that fact, there's no mountain you cant climb.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thank you Sourcrates

I was one of the many who was petrified at the thought of debt collectors etc. Now Iím straight on the phone to them without a second thought.

And youíre right once you accept that you will be dealing with your debt however you choose to tackle it things can only get better. Our Original creditors and even the DCAs have been very accommodating with us and Iíve not had any grief from any of them.

If anyone is thinking they need to go down the DMP route, donít hide from it, donít avoid taking the first step and most of all donít panic. Iíve been there, done that and now Iím like
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 03-02-2018 at 6:32 PM.
    I have arrived in DMP land and I like it, I may stay a while
    LBM £82,590 Jan 17/£76,672.91 June 18
    Short term goal £1603.73/£1796 / PDBX 18 # 31 - £3435.52/£5,000
    • thehistorygirl
    • By thehistorygirl 3rd Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    thehistorygirl
    Defaulted debts stay on your file six years, then automatically drop off.

Could that be the reason ?
    No, Barclaycard have never defaulted me. It's very strange. I think I only owe about £200, so no big shakes, but I would like to get everything sorted over the next 12 months.
    LBM 7/1/14
    Debt Jan 14 £5443
    Debt Mar 15 £4734
    Debt Dec 2017 £2233 less £393.25 Plevin payment £1870
    Another Plevin payout Feb 2018 taking balance to £1081
    Updated DFD Dec 2018!!! This year
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 3rd Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    As we are now going down the self managed route and need to set up standing orders, I wrote to all the DCA's requesting their bank details to make payments. PRA have written back, no problem....next to reply have been Link, who have given us THEIR bank details, but also enclosed a Standing Order Mandate, asking us to fill in OUR bank details. Now....correct me if I'm wrong, but surely there is no reason for them to have OUR bank detail? All I need to do is go online and set up the standing order, ???
    Last edited by ploppy57; 03-02-2018 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,226. 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 3rd Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I am resigned to the fact I need to start a DMP soon and having read all the excellent advice on here there is only one thing left that is worrying me.
    I have read my employers rules and I must inform my manager if I go onto a DMP and I am dreading having to do this.
    Has anyone else experienced this and how did you overcome the fear?
    Originally posted by worriedaboutson
    Do you work in financial services,if not i donít see that itís anyoneís business but yours
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £770.00 Total Now Owed = £16,860
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £250.00
    • selinek
    • By selinek 3rd Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    selinek
    from fellow self managed warrior I have received a CCA from IDEM originally MBNA. I have had the CCA checked and is deemed unenforceable. I sent a letter offering a 10% F&F which was rejected. I didn't mention CCA was unenforceable. Is it worth making the same offer this time mentioning unenforceable agreement ? I remember reading January15 had success with F&F. Any guidance would be appreciated. Has anyone not paid/not paying even though the DCA believes the CCA is valid. Did you write and let them know you wouldn't be paying or kept quiet ? I'm just weight up my options. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by selinek; 03-02-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 3rd Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    January2015
    I have received a CCA from IDEM originally MBNA. I have had the CCA checked and is deemed unenforceable. I sent a letter offering a 10% F&F which was rejected. I didn't mention CCA was unenforceable. Is it worth making the same offer this time mentioning unenforceable agreement ? I remember reading January15 had success with F&F. Any guidance would be appreciated. Has anyone not paid/not paying even though the DCA believes the CCA is valid. Did you write and let them know you wouldn't be paying or kept quiet ? I'm just weight up my options. Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by selinek
    How old was your MBNA account?

With my MBNA account I just stopped paying anything altogether. I was sent what looked like a valid CCA, but having had it checked and been advised it was UE I just stopped all communication and ignored all of their correspondence until they wrote and offered to settle at 10% of the outstanding balance. I could have not paid anything because it was UE, but I chose to settle to put this account to bed on my credit files.

The process of applying for the CCA, finding out it was UE and not making any payments, and ignoring letters received from the DCA, took about 14 months. It was a long waiting game
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • selinek
    • By selinek 3rd Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    selinek
    How old was your MBNA account?

With my MBNA account I just stopped paying anything altogether. I was sent what looked like a valid CCA, but having had it checked and been advised it was UE I just stopped all communication and ignored all of their correspondence until they wrote and offered to settle at 10% of the outstanding balance. I could have not paid anything because it was UE, but I chose to settle to put this account to bed on my credit files.

The process of applying for the CCA, finding out it was UE and not making any payments, and ignoring letters received from the DCA, took about 14 months. It was a long waiting game
    Originally posted by January2015

Thanks for that January15, really empowered now. MBNA opened 2005. UE due the terms not matching signed agreement. I was paying through SC stopped paying in November when I went SM( Best thing I have ever done Well I best baton down the hatches and see if they come through with a settlement. just one more thing were you bombarded with threatening letters?
    • January2015
    • By January2015 3rd Feb 18, 10:53 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    January2015
    Thanks for that January15, really empowered now. MBNA opened 2005. UE due the terms not matching signed agreement. I was paying through SC stopped paying in November when I went SM( Best thing I have ever done Well I best baton down the hatches and see if they come through with a settlement. just one more thing were you bombarded with threatening letters?
    Originally posted by selinek
    No - never bombarded with letters. My debt was with PRAT at the time though.

I just watched ever reducing settlement offers drop through the letter box and I only responded when I go a 10% settlement offer

Otherwise I ignored everything they sent me
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 4th Feb 18, 6:21 AM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 27,294 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Lovely to see you on here again, January. I hope all is well with you

On the subject of just ignoring creditors once you have been advised that the debt is unenforceable. Did that creditor send a covering letter with the CCA stuff they sent you, as all mine did, saying that they had completely fulfilled their CCA obligations and the debt IS enforceable and, basically, case closed?

If we subsequently get these documents checked and are advised the debts are UNenforceable after all and we just stop paying and cease all communication how do the creditors know we've done so because of unenforceability reasons? I'm in a similar predicament with one of my debts and feel I want to tell them that, contrary to what they told me, it is NOT enforceable and I won't be paying any more.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: £1988.00+. June: £280.77

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9618
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • selinek
    • By selinek 4th Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    selinek
    No - never bombarded with letters. My debt was with PRAT at the time though.

Love you description of PRA(T) January15 made me chuckle

I just watched ever reducing settlement offers drop through the letter box and I only responded when I go a 10% settlement offer

Otherwise I ignored everything they sent me
    Originally posted by January2015
    I am beginning to understand these leeches are a law unto themselves. Some are more reasonable than others.

I was reluctant to go down F&F and UE route because I believed I got myself into debt therefore I must pay the price. When I found out DCA's pay 10-14 pence to the pound of the outstanding debt ( somewhere read they pay no more than 20%) I realised I had paid my debt and then some. Then I started on my crusade of getting control back.

Received a letter from IDEM stating that there is no payment arrangement. If I don't contact them within 7 days my account will be reviewed for further action which could result in either acct being placed in "our internal recoveries dept" or "acct being placed with an external debt collection agency for recovery activity" Am right in thinking they will sell onto another DCA or they threatening something far more serious? Before reading this thread I would have responded out of fear now I arm myself with information then consider my position.

Any one else had anything similar dealing with IDEM. I know they can be more tricky than other DCA's
    Last edited by selinek; 04-02-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates
    As we are now going down the self managed route and need to set up standing orders, I wrote to all the DCA's requesting their bank details. Now....correct me if I'm wrong, but surely there is no reason for them to have OUR bank detail? All I need to do is go online and set up the standing order, ???
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    You don't need to fill there mandate in, its probably sent out automatically.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates

If we subsequently get these documents checked and are advised the debts are UNenforceable after all and we just stop paying and cease all communication how do the creditors know we've done so because of unenforceability reasons? I'm in a similar predicament with one of my debts and feel I want to tell them that, contrary to what they told me, it is NOT enforceable and I won't be paying any more.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Myself i would just send a short letter outlining your position, and why you believe its the stance to take, so in your case, its because you believe the CCA is not compliant with legislation.

They think it is, you don't, so catch 22, only a court can decide for sure, its then up to the creditor if they think its worth pursuing it or not.

Most of the time they will back down, maybe sell the debt on, in which case you have to inform the new owner of the credit agreement dispute, or they will just sit on it, and you wont hear from them again.

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 4th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 27,294 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    You don't need to fill there mandate in, its probably sent out automatically.
    Ploppy, I totally agree with sourcrates.

Most of my creditors sent me SO mandates to fill in and return when I told them I was going self-managed. No way!!! I want to be in control of what I pay not them. They were all perfectly happy when I set it up to pay them directly myself.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: £1988.00+. June: £280.77

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9618
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 4th Feb 18, 3:26 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Ploppy, I totally agree with sourcrates.

Most of my creditors sent me SO mandates to fill in and return when I told them I was going self-managed. No way!!! I want to be in control of what I pay not them. They were all perfectly happy when I set it up to pay them directly myself.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thanks Sourcrates and Carbootcrazy. Definitely won't be sending them our details.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,226. 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • kram
    • By kram 4th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    kram
    Just been checking through my sc account online & noticed that tesco have passed my debt onto 1st credit.
    Has anyone had any dealings or experience of them & have tesco sold it on or are 1st credit just managing it for them.

Tia
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Just been checking through my sc account online & noticed that tesco have passed my debt onto 1st credit.
    Has anyone had any dealings or experience of them & have tesco sold it on or are 1st credit just managing it for them.

Tia
    Originally posted by kram
    1st credit are debt purchasers, and prior to FSA enforcement action, (or OFT as it was then) were one of the worst offenders for flouting fair debt collection rules.

However, that was then, this is now, they are under threat of suspension of their consumer credit licence if they go back to their old ways, so they should treat you in a fair and business like way, if they dont, use the complaints Channels available to you, dont accept any carp off them.

If you need help, PM me, I love dealing with them.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100402132045/http://www.oft.gov.uk/news/press/2009/20-09
    Last edited by sourcrates; 04-02-2018 at 4:33 PM.

• kram
    • By kram 4th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    kram
    1st credit are debt purchasers, and prior to FSA enforcement action, (or OFT as it was then) were one of the worst offenders for flouting fair debt collection rules.

However, that was then, this is now, they are under threat of suspension of their consumer credit licence if they go back to their old ways, so they should treat you in a fair and business like way, if they dont, use the complaints Channels available to you, dont accept any carp off them.

If you need help, PM me, I love dealing with them.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100402132045/http://www.oft.gov.uk/news/press/2009/20-09

Thanks for that.

Were tesco under any obligation to tell me that they sold it or did they just tell sc instead?
    • mrsorganised
    • By mrsorganised 5th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrsorganised
    This video will make you worry less about debt
    https://youtu.be/SyXJ8WdNVws
    This is an enlightening video that you need to watch when the kids are in bed or you have half an hour to spare
    For people in debt ( towards the end of the video) there's light for those dealing with debt collectors , other stuff is about your rights
    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, good luck
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Feb 18, 5:14 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks for that.

Were tesco under any obligation to tell me that they sold it or did they just tell sc instead?
    Originally posted by kram
    Should of issued you with a "notice of assignment" letter.

Just a technical breach if they didn't, and you can always request one from them.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates
    https://youtu.be/SyXJ8WdNVws
    This is an enlightening video that you need to watch when the kids are in bed or you have half an hour to spare
    For people in debt ( towards the end of the video) there's light for those dealing with debt collectors , other stuff is about your rights
    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, good luck
    Originally posted by mrsorganised
    Oh nooo, don't put any credence in the "strawman of the land" rubbish.

Its been challenged in court numerous times, and has not been successful yet, it is based only on one mans opinion.

It all boils down to been able to provide evidence of liability, we do that by sending the "provit letter" the other stuff in their "3 letter process", would be laughed out of court.

This guy should not be allowed to imply stuff like this works, it docent.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 05-02-2018 at 5:27 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin