Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daniel_whitworth
      Verified User verified user
    • By daniel_whitworth Verified User verified user 24th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 11Thanks
    daniel_whitworth
    Has anyone ever been the victim of money muling?
    • 24th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    Has anyone ever been the victim of money muling? 24th Mar 17 at 2:51 PM
    Hi All,
    My name's Dan Whitworth and I'm a journalist for BBC News.
    I'm working on a story about people (late teens/ 20s) being approached by criminals to act as so called money mules.
    We know people across the UK are being offered cash in exchange for their bank details/passwords... criminals then transfer large sums in and then out - to clean illegally obtained money.
    Has this happened to you? Have you or any of your friends been approached in this way? Is it something you or any of your friends are aware of?
    We're looking to do a story on this to raise awareness of the dangers and consequences for people (prison, frozen bank accounts, damaged credit ratings, etc) and would like to hear from anyone who has come across it who can help.
    Thanks for reading...
    Kind regards
    Dan
    Approved Journalist
    Iím a journalist. MSE has given permission for me to post asking for people to help with a story I'm working on. You can see my name on the Companies/organisations/journalists with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my individual posts or employer by MSE
Page 2
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 30th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Dan, have you been in contact with the OP on this thread? Sounds like the sort of contact you're after:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5625668
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 30th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,012 Thanks
    Biggles
    They do zx81

You missed the signature
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Like zx81, I don't see signatures. The fact that a poster had got permission used to be included below his name, where we could all see it, didn't it? If it's in his signature, it's hidden from all of those who don't want to see avatars & signatures and all that rubbish.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 30th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    alanq
    As well as their signature, members given special permission to post, also have their names displayed in a different colour. Clicking on their name and viewing their public profile shows their signature. The member name may also have a tick against it.

A complete list of specially approved users can be found here.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 30th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 42,693 Thanks
    elsien
    You have to feel sorry for the OP - one potentially helpful lead and most of the rest griping about spelling, grammar and MSE's signature policy.
    It's a wonder new posters ever come back.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 30th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    alanq
    Perhaps most MSE members are cautious enough not to have been a victim of money muling and the lack of response reflects that.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 30th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,012 Thanks
    Biggles
    As well as their signature, members given special permission to post, also have their names displayed in a different colour.
    Originally posted by alanq
    In this case (and on my screen), quite subtly different.

But my point really was that they usually have, under their name, 'Has MSE’s permission to post for company' or similar. That's the case on the Energy board, anyway, I assumed it was general and that, if it wasn't displayed, they didn't have permission.

Sorry, Daniel, none of this is your fault.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 30th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 5,038 Thanks
    robatwork
    You have to feel sorry for the OP - one potentially helpful lead and most of the rest griping about spelling, grammar and MSE's signature policy.
    It's a wonder new posters ever come back.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Hm.

I don't feel sorry for the OP, you have to be pretty robust to be a journalist, and I for one was giving what I think is a pretty succinct summary of why he should strive to do better on forums.

You "gripe about grammar" in every post you make, in bold no less - so a little ironic.

"Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of."
    • elsien
    • By elsien 30th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 42,693 Thanks
    elsien
    I do indeed, but it's handily tucked away in my signature so as not to derail any threads.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • GingerFurball
    • By GingerFurball 30th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    GingerFurball
    People who allow their accounts to be used this way aren't victims.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
    • djpailo
    • By djpailo 30th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    djpailo
    Daniel

I have rarely come across anyone who has acted as a mule for money, I only remember one case on these forums. I think it would be far more benefiting to do an investigation on how banks are locking people's account, often unfairly for months on end. We regularly see posters asking for help about what to do about locked accounts and how to "get by" when they have no access to money.
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Apr 17, 6:08 AM
    • 9,625 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    missile
    ...I think it would be far more benefiting to do an investigation on how banks are locking people's account, often unfairly for months on end. ....
    Originally posted by djpailo
    but that would not make for a good sound bite / eye catching headline.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Eddster4
    • By Eddster4 13th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Eddster4
    A friend of mine has been marked by CIFAS!
    Please contact me to discuss Daniel

As she doesn't know what to next so hopefully with your help she and others can not be penalised so severely for a naive mistake as a youngster...
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 32,369 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Please contact me to discuss Daniel

As she doesn't know what to next so hopefully with your help she and others can not be penalised so severely for a naive mistake as a youngster...
    Originally posted by Eddster4
    Not sure if Daniel will see your message, hasnt been on since july.

Why not tell us the short version of what happened to your friend.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 13-04-2018 at 9:32 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin