Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 19th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,486Posts
    • 11,718Thanks
    ESA support group
    • #1
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    ESA support group 19th Mar 17 at 12:54 PM
    My son is disabled - learning difficulties, aspergers and cerebal palsy. He is 19 and was placed in the support group of esa as these difficulties arent' going to improve. However, he is now being supported on a placement through his college whereby he gets chance to get valid work experience. The idea being that this may open the door to paid work. If he gets offered say.... 5... possibly 10 hours a week paid work.... ok... lets push the boat out ... 15 hours (well I can dream) - do I need to advise them? its an academic question at the moment, but I would like to know before I may be faced with the situation. There has been talk of him being offered a full time job but i'm slightly cynical as a) he goes to bed after his current 4 hour shifts and b) the company that is going to offer him a position hasn't even met him.... me thinks tick boxes for targets met are being used rather than the right job...... Many thanks
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 19th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #2
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • #2
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    See :

    "If you are considering starting permitted work you must tell the DWP or Jobcentre Plus and get their approval. The general rule is that these benefits are paid because you are not fit for work and will stop if you do some work.

    How long can I do permitted work for?

    Permitted work must be fewer than 16 hours per week, unless you are doing supported permitted work when there is no hours limit and only the earnings limit applies.

    For most people there is currently a 52 week limit on permitted work. However, if you are in the Support Group of Employment and Support Allowance there is no 52 week limit. From 3 April 2017 the 52 week limit will be removed for people in the Work Related Activity Group of Employment and Support Allowance as well.

    There is also no limit if you satisfy the supported permitted work criteria. This means work that is supervised by someone who is employed by a public or local council or a voluntary organisation, and whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people. This could be work done in the community or in a sheltered workshop. It also includes work as part of a hospital treatment programme.

    How does permitted work affect my benefits?

    Earnings under permitted work are ignored (disregarded) in the benefit calculation, so the amount you receive is not affected.

    Earnings under permitted work up to 115.50 are allowed in Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit and Severe Disablement Allowance. However, Income Support still only ignores 20 a week of permitted work. If you are doing permitted work and claiming Income Support you may therefore be better off claiming income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

    Earnings from permitted work (below the limit) are also ignored completely in Housing Benefit and in most Council Tax Support schemes run by local councils.

    The idea is to allow people to work for up to 15 hours a week at the minimum wage, so the permitted work earnings limit (in IB, SDA and ESA)."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,429Users online

Martin's Twitter