Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • charlotte289
    • By charlotte289 19th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 68Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Drilling holes in external walls in flat?
    • #1
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    Drilling holes in external walls in flat? 19th Mar 17 at 10:26 AM
    Hello - we're thinking of buying a property in Scotland soon, and I had some questions regarding factored flats. Are you allowed to drill holes in the wall, say, for a vent for a tumble dryer, if the property is yours? Also, if we wanted an aerial installed on the roof, would we need permission from someone? Would it all depend on the factor?

    Sorry if these are silly questions, but I've only rented flats before, so I'm not that familiar with how things work with regard to owning properties...
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 19th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 2,293 Thanks
    • #2
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • #2
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    Assuming leasehold works in the same way both sides of the boarder, you would need permission to drill holes & fix aerials. If the property is listed and/or in a conservation area, then you'd also need to check with the local authority to see if their approval is also required.
    Her courage will change the world.

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 19th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    • #3
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • #3
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    In Scotland, the factor normally only has a remit over the common areas of the property (and only exercises this on behalf of the individual owners). While you may need building control or planning permission to knock vent holes in the outside of the building (possibly including LBC as mentioned by Freebear), I don't think that would be one for the Factor. The roof, however, is part of the common property, so a new aerial should probably be mentioned to the factor.

    I'd mention it as an aside during a conversation with the solicitor when you are buying and see what they say.
    • charlotte289
    • By charlotte289 19th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    • #4
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • #4
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    Thanks for your replies. Most of the properties we're looking at are in conservation areas, so planning permission will be a necessity, I think. I'll ask the solicitor about permission etc. when we put in an offer for somewhere.
    • missile
    • By missile 19th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    • #5
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • #5
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    Leasehold only applies in England.

    It is not up to the factor / management company to dictate what you are permitted to do. This will be detailed in the title deeds. Your solicitor will advise.

    The local council will be able to advise regarding permitted development in a conservation area. For example, I would be very surprised if you would be permitted to install a satellite dish.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,414Posts Today

6,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin