Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 18th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 61Thanks
    Partner Income Change?
    • #1
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    Partner Income Change? 18th Mar 17 at 2:25 PM
    Hi all

    I'm more than halfway through my BR year (YAAAAAAAAAAAY!) and my husband has had a small wage increase at work.

    Do I have to notify the OR of this? It's not a massive amount but I can't remember whether it's just MY income I need to report on or his aswell? Need to dig out the paperwork which is filed away somewhere safe! Just wondering if anyone knows who's been in the same situation or off the top of their head.

    Thanks x
Page 1
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 5th Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    • #2
    • 5th Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    Anyone? Please!
  • National Debtline
    • #3
    • 6th Apr 17, 10:50 AM
    • #3
    • 6th Apr 17, 10:50 AM
    Hi there,

    As this is a change in household circumstances you should report it to the OR. Your husbands increased wage may mean he will pay slightly more to the household bills, which will affect the proportional calculation of your surplus and the OR may want to check if this means an Income Payment Arrangement is now applicable.

    The safest thing to do is drop the OR an email and make them aware of the changes, and then it is up to the OR what action they take from there. Hope that helps,

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 6th Apr 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    • #4
    • 6th Apr 17, 7:34 PM
    • #4
    • 6th Apr 17, 7:34 PM
    He may have had a small pay rise but I bet your overheads (utilities etc) have gone up by more than the payrise...?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • 14,030 Posts
    • 13,286 Thanks
    • #5
    • 6th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • #5
    • 6th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    Small rises in income usually balance themselves out with increases in outgoings.

    That's life matey.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin