IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CCJ and my Credit Score- All correspondence sent to address from 2013

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2017 at 11:42AM
    If the other side do reference it CM they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I cannot believe that a County Court Judge could be so ill-informed as to not be aware that Beavis plays no part whatsoever in residential cases. Surely he/she immediately opens themselves to an allegation that they have mis-applied the law. Not something a judge of any calibre would want on his file.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • zebrarose
    zebrarose Posts: 99 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2017 at 3:16PM
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Because the other side will, and will paint it as case law for all private parking cases, and some Judges would (and do) still fall for that.

Yes, although I can't recall UKPC v Aziz

Yes, in a robust counter-claim for DPA misuse of data.

UKPC V AZIZ
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583492

Is the counter claim the MCOL or is that done at the hearing and attached to the witness statement?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Is the counter claim the MCOL or is that done at the hearing and attached to the witness statement?

Neither. If you want to counter-claim for a few hundred pounds and allege that they have misused your data (particularly if they got your data as keeper, from the DVLA and not from you) then the counter claim goes at the bottom of the defence. And you would need to pay £25 by cheque or over the phone to CCBC as a court fee for your counterclaim.

Can be worth it if you have grounds for saying their claim is fatally flawed and they should never have obtained or processed DVLA data about you, due to the circs of the case. We can help with that wording if you have time and want to do this with your defence.

If that's too complicated then just file a defence, not a counterclaim. But you can still apply for the court to grant your costs for attending a hearing, nearer the time, around the time when you file a WS and evidence. That's called a 'costs schedule' a simple list which you include at that time, as per the costs schedule example linked in the NEWBIES thread post #2. Costs you no fee but it's up to the Judge if costs are granted.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • zebrarose
    Neither. If you want to counter-claim for a few hundred pounds and allege that they have misused your data (particularly if they got your data as keeper, from the DVLA and not from you) then the counter claim goes at the bottom of the defence. And you would need to pay £25 by cheque or over the phone to CCBC as a court fee for your counterclaim.

Can be worth it if you have grounds for saying their claim is fatally flawed and they should never have obtained or processed DVLA data about you, due to the circs of the case. We can help with that wording if you have time and want to do this with your defence.

If that's too complicated then just file a defence, not a counterclaim. But you can still apply for the court to grant your costs for attending a hearing, nearer the time, around the time when you file a WS and evidence. That's called a 'costs schedule' a simple list which you include at that time, as per the costs schedule example linked in the NEWBIES thread post #2. Costs you no fee but it's up to the Judge if costs are granted.

I do believe they obtained my details from the DVLA on flawed grounds as my car is registered with their company as having a parking permit and I corresponded with them via email in the appeals process stating I was a resident and also had headed the letter with the second line of my address. I made sure I did not say I was driver.
  • safarmuk
    safarmuk Posts: 648 Forumite
    I do believe they obtained my details from the DVLA on flawed grounds as my car is registered with their company as having a parking permit and I corresponded with them via email in the appeals process stating I was a resident and also had headed the letter with the second line of my address. I made sure I did not say I was driver.
    I think a counter claim depends on how near you are to having to submit your defence and how much time you have to get it ready.

Remember you can always make the DPA breach claim at a later date. Plus if the DJ in this instance dismisses the case brought against you with a cursory "it never should have been brought" summation then it will aid that subsequent claim and can be quoted in your LBC (which you hope they might then offer to settle without a court date).

It's up to you, but I would advise that you do not let the counter claim impact or interfere with you getting your strongest possible defence researched and submitted on time for the claim against you.
  • zebrarose
    In the County Court Business Centre
    Claim Number XXXXXX
    BETWEEN:
    Parking & Property Management Limited (Claimant)
    v
    XXXXXX (Defendant)

I am xxxx and I am the Defendant in this matter.
    This my supporting Statement in support of my application dated xx/01/2017 to:
    • Set aside the Default Judgement dated August 2016 as it was not properly served at my current address;
    • Order for the original claim to be dismissed.

1. Default Judgement
    1.1. I understand that the Claimant obtained a Default Judgement against me as the Defendant in September 2016. However, this claim form has not been served at my current address and I thus was not aware of the Default Judgement until 10 March 2017 when I was getting a tenancy reference check on my credit file. I understand that this Claim was served at an old address (xxxxx). However, I moved to a new address in June 2016. In support of this I can provide confirmation from xxx County Council showing my updated details for the purposes of paying Council tax and driver’s licenses with each address I moved to.

1.2. I have also never received any documentation from the Claimant in this matter regarding a Notice to Keeper.

1.3. On the 13/03/2017 I contacted Northampton County Court to find out details of the Default Judgement. The court was not able to give any details of the alleged incident.

1.4. On 13/03/2017 I contacted the Claimant using information given to me by Northampton County Court to establish what the alleged incident was regarding.

1. 1.5. I believe the Claimant has behaved unreasonably in pursuing a claim against me without ensuring they pursued the Defendant’s correct contact details however the Claimant chose to ignore the Defendant’s vehicle details, address and email address on their system and
        chose to send all communications to the address provided by the DVLA after first completely ignoring the fact that the vehicle’s details was on their systemand people can be caught in the process of moving home and updating the DVLA records. According to publicly available information my circumstances are far from being unique. The Claimant’s persistent failure to use correct and current addresses results is an unnecessary burden for individuals and the justice system across the country.

1.6. On the basis provided above I would suggest that the Claimant did not fulfil their duty
        of due diligence to use the Defendant’s current address when bringing the claim, and instead deliberately used the old address which was no longer valid when bringing the claim.

1.7. Considering the above I was unable to defend this claim properly. I thus believe that the Default Judgement against me was issued incorrectly and thus should be set aside.

2. Order dismissing the Claim

2.1. I further believe that the original Claim by the Claimant has no merit and should thus be dismissed. I understand that the Claimant is a Parking Company which seeks to claim for “Parking Charge Notices” which the Claimant believes are due as a result of an alleged breach of contract for parking by a motorist.

2.2. If the Claimant has obtained details of the vehicle for which I am the Registered Keeper, and used those details to make a claim for a “Parking Charge Notice’’, I thus dispute the claim in its entirety as I do not know the wording of the contract nor do I know the means by which the contract was alleged to come into force.

2.3. If the Claimant can evidence that the alleged incident relates to a vehicle for which I am the Registered Keeper, any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant would have needed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Otherwise, the Claimant is required to prove the driver of the vehicle they claim was involved in the alleged incident. I submit that the Claimant cannot provide such evidence and further submit that the Claimant does not include ‘Protection of Freedoms Act 2012’ wording on the Parking Charge Notices they issue and therefore cannot hold the Defendant automatically liable for the alleged incident merely for being the Registered Keeper of a vehicle.

2.4. A requirement of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 is that this any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant must be served within 14 days of the date of the alleged incident. Since I have not received any documentation from the Claimant prior to finding out about the Default Judgement, I submit the Claimant will not have complied with the requirements of the Act and thus cannot claim this charge against me as the Registered Keeper in any case.

2.5. I further submit that the Claimant’s claim is without merit due to substantial issues in law. This is for the following main reasons:
        2.5.1. Lack of Standing by Claimant: The Claimant is unlikely to be the landowner of the car park in question, and will have no proprietary interest in it. This means that the Claimant, as a matter of law, will have no locus standi to litigate in their own name. Any consideration will have been provided by the landholder, and only they would have been able sue for any damages or trespass.
        2.5.2. No Loss Suffered by Claimant: Their claim is presumably based on damages for alleged breach of contract. It is a fundamental principle of English Law that a party who suffers damages through breach of contract can only seek through court action to be put back in the same position as they would have been if the breach had not occurred. In order to do so, they must demonstrate their actual, or genuine, pre-estimate of loss. I submit that no loss has been suffered by the Claimant as a result of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of any motorist of the vehicle of which I am the Registered Keeper. I further submit that any loss to the landholder (which would be the only party able to claim such losses) would be at most a few pounds.
        2.5.3. No contract with the claimant: Any contract must have offer, acceptance and consideration both ways. There would not have been consideration from the Claimant to the motorist; the gift of parking is the landowner’s, not Parking & Property Management. The car park in question is understood to be for residents. Therefore there is no consideration from motorist to Parking & Property Management.
      1. This claimant may try to rely upon the case of ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67, regarding disproportionate charges. However, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court's decisions during the course of that case do not support this claim at all. Beavis was a matter concerning an unusual enforcement regime and location, offering a free licence to park followed after 2 hours, by a charge. Indeed at the Court of Appeal stage the Judges stated that the 'free licence to park' regime was the factor which made that case 'completely different' from ordinary transactional contracts where a sum of money owed can be easily quantified. I suggest, exactly as in my case, where a mere 10p has been quantified as the sum in dispute and surely any reasonable person would consider £100 (and certainly this vastly inflated claim) to be 'extravagant' and out of all proportion.

2. The Supreme Court Judges did not disagree with the court of Appeal about ordinary economic contracts and found that such disputes may still be determined by using Lord Dunedin's 'four tests' for defining an unrecoverable penalty, which continues to have useful application in such cases where the facts could be distinguished from the Beavis case, where the Judges held:

- at 32: ''The true test is whether the impugned provision is a secondary obligation which imposes a detriment on the contract-breaker out of all proportion to any legitimate interest of the innocent party in the enforcement of the primary obligation. The innocent party can have no proper interest in simply punishing the defaulter. His interest is in performance or in some appropriate alternative to performance.
        In the case of a straightforward damages clause, that interest will rarely extend beyond compensation for the breach, and we therefore expect that Lord Dunedin’s four tests would usually be perfectly adequate to determine its validity.''

- and, continued Lord Neuberger: ''as Lord Dunedin himself acknowledged, the essential question was whether the clause impugned was “unconscionable” or “extravagant”. The four tests are a useful tool for deciding whether these expressions can properly be applied to simple damages clauses in standard contracts.''

- and at 99: ''…deterrence is not penal if there is a legitimate interest in influencing the conduct of the contracting party which is not satisfied by the mere right to recover damages for breach of contract...the question whether a contractual provision is a penalty turns on the construction of the contract.’’

- Lord Mance at 143: ''The qualification and safeguard is that the agreed sum must not have been extravagant, unconscionable or incommensurate with any possible interest in the maintenance of the system.’’

- Lord Mance at 152: ''What is necessary in each case is to consider, first, whether any (and if so what) legitimate business interest is served and protected by the clause, and, second, whether, assuming such an interest to exist, the provision made for the interest is nevertheless in the circumstances extravagant, exorbitant or unconscionable.''

3. In ParkingEye v Cargius A0JD1405 (Wrexham County Court), transcript appended as Exhibit xx, a pay and display car park was held to be completely different from the Beavis case which was on its well-publicised journey through the courts at that time. At 13 in Cargius, the Judge distinguished a pay & display car park tariff dispute from the free car park in Beavis.
      4. .
        2.6. On this basis I believe that the Claimant has not provided any reasonable cause of action and thus the claim should be dismissed in its entirety.

Statement of Truth:
        I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.
        Full name: XXX

Dated 08/06/2017

Signed: __________________________________
  • zebrarose

Do I reference the initial appeal I made to the PPC and complaint to the landowner now?
    Do I reference other cases now or at the second stage?
    Could you please help with the reference to DPA breach?
    Do I submit an evidence pack with the witness statement I.e the other court cases mentioned in a previous post above?
  • zebrarose
    Do I also compile and send an evidence pack at the same time as the N244 and witness statement?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Parking and property management are IPC members? , how come they have not followed the code of conduct , http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/new-ipc-code-of-practice-weakens-data.html

Quote:

Before issuing court proceedings on any unpaid parking charge which is over 12 months old, the operator must first perform a suitable check of the defendant’s last known address.

this obviously was not done , I wonder if the IPC will sanction them?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • zebrarose
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    Parking and property management are IPC members? , how come they have not followed the code of conduct , http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/new-ipc-code-of-practice-weakens-data.html

Quote:

Before issuing court proceedings on any unpaid parking charge which is over 12 months old, the operator must first perform a suitable check of the defendant’s last known address.

this obviously was not done , I wonder if the IPC will sanction them?

very good point!

In the County Court Business Centre

Claim Number XXXXXX

BETWEEN:

Parking & Property Management Limited (Claimant)

v

XXXXXX (Defendant)

WITNESS STATEMENT

I am xxxx and I am the Defendant in this matter.
    This my supporting Statement in support of my application dated xx/01/2017 to:
    • Set aside the Default Judgement dated August 2016 as it was not properly served at my current address;
    • Order for the original claim to be dismissed.

1. Default Judgement
    1.1. I understand that the Claimant obtained a Default Judgement against me as the Defendant in September 2016. However, this claim form has not been served at my current address and I thus was not aware of the Default Judgement until 10 March 2017 when I was getting a tenancy reference check on my credit file. I understand that this Claim was served at an old address (xxxxx). However, I moved to a new address in June 2016. In support of this I can provide confirmation from xxx County Council showing my updated details for the purposes of paying Council tax and driver’s licenses with each address I moved to.

1.2. I have also never received any documentation from the Claimant in this matter regarding a Notice to Keeper.

1.3. On the 13/03/2017 I contacted Northampton County Court to find out details of the Default Judgement. The court was not able to give any details of the alleged incident.

1.4. On 13/03/2017 I contacted the Claimant using information given to me by Northampton County Court to establish what the alleged incident was regarding.

1. 1.5. I believe the Claimant has behaved unreasonably in pursuing a claim against me without ensuring they pursued the Defendant’s correct contact details however the Claimant chose to ignore the Defendant’s vehicle details, address and email address on their system and
        chose to send all communications to the address provided by the DVLA after first completely ignoring the fact that the vehicle’s details was on their systemand people can be caught in the process of moving home and updating the DVLA records. According to publicly available information my circumstances are far from being unique. The Claimant’s persistent failure to use correct and current addresses results is an unnecessary burden for individuals and the justice system across the country.

1.6. On the basis provided above I would suggest that the Claimant did not fulfil their duty
        of due diligence to use the Defendant’s current address when bringing the claim, and instead deliberately used the old address which was no longer valid when bringing the claim.

1.7. Considering the above I was unable to defend this claim properly. I thus believe that the Default Judgement against me was issued incorrectly and thus should be set aside.

2. Order dismissing the Claim

2.1. I further believe that the original Claim by the Claimant has no merit and should thus be dismissed. I understand that the Claimant is a Parking Company which seeks to claim for “Parking Charge Notices” which the Claimant believes are due as a result of an alleged breach of contract for parking by a motorist.

2.2. If the Claimant has obtained details of the vehicle for which I am the Registered Keeper, and used those details to make a claim for a “Parking Charge Notice’’, I thus dispute the claim in its entirety as I do not know the wording of the contract nor do I know the means by which the contract was alleged to come into force.

2.3. No evidence has been supplied by this claimant as to who parked the vehicle. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 there is no presumption in law as to who parked a vehicle on private land nor does there exist any obligation for a keeper to name a driver. I choose to defend this claim as the registered keeper, as is my right.

2.4. If the Claimant can evidence that the alleged incident relates to a vehicle for which I am the Registered Keeper, any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant would have needed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Otherwise, the Claimant is required to prove the driver of the vehicle they claim was involved in the alleged incident. I submit that the Claimant cannot provide such evidence and further submit that the Claimant does not include ‘Protection of Freedoms Act 2012’ wording on the Parking Charge Notices they issue and therefore cannot hold the Defendant automatically liable for the alleged incident merely for being the Registered Keeper of a vehicle.

It is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. The proper Claimant (if any debt exists, which is denied) would be the landowner.

2.5. The claimant cannot overrule the rights of way and easements of the lease or introduce any new terms or charges subsequent to the permit agreement, as made when the permit was accepted by the resident.

2.6. Parking terms cannot be re-offered by a third party contractor on a day-to-day basis (on far more onerous and potentially, completely variable terms) because these were never incorporated into the permission to park as granted by the landowner, which was a stand-alone contract, concluded at the point in time of the provision of a permit which carried very few terms of use and no 'parking charges' nor 'indemnity costs'.

2.7. In the event that the court finds a contract based on signage can supersede the permit terms already agreed and the lease, I put the claimant to strict proof of a chain of contracts leading from the landowner to this claimant which enable these charges to be pursued in court by this contractor, for these alleged contravention(s), whatever they may be.

2.8. The alleged debt(s) as described in the two claims are unenforceable penalties, being just the sort of unconscionable charges exposed as offending against the penalty rule, in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis.

2.9. It is denied that there was any 'relevant obligation' or 'relevant contract' relating to any single parking event.

2.10. Notwithstanding the provisions of the POFA and/or the existing easements, rights of way and the permit agreement already concluded, it is denied that the signs used by this claimant can have created a fair or transparent contract with a driver in any event.

2.11. It is not believed that the Claimant has incurred additional costs - be it legal or debt collector costs or even their unlawful, fixed sum card surcharge for payments - and they are put to strict proof that they have actually incurred and can lawfully add an extra sums and that those sums formed part of the permit/parking contract formed with the resident in the first instance.

2.12. The claimant appears to have misused my VRN data by 'processing' it to obtain my address, against the DPA Principles. Misuse of personal data is a tort, the remedy for which would be a claim for damages which I may pursue separately once these claims are struck out.

2.13. A requirement of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 is that this any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant must be served within 14 days of the date of the alleged incident. Since I have not received any documentation from the Claimant prior to finding out about the Default Judgement, I submit the Claimant will not have complied with the requirements of the Act and thus cannot claim this charge against me as the Registered Keeper in any case.

2.14. I further submit that the Claimant’s claim is without merit due to substantial issues in law. This is for the following main reasons:
    2.15. Lack of Standing by Claimant: The Claimant is unlikely to be the landowner of the car park in question, and will have no proprietary interest in it. This means that the Claimant, as a matter of law, will have no locus standi to litigate in their own name. Any consideration will have been provided by the landholder, and only they would have been able sue for any damages or trespass.
    2.16. No Loss Suffered by Claimant: Their claim is presumably based on damages for alleged breach of contract. It is a fundamental principle of English Law that a party who suffers damages through breach of contract can only seek through court action to be put back in the same position as they would have been if the breach had not occurred. In order to do so, they must demonstrate their actual, or genuine, pre-estimate of loss. I submit that no loss has been suffered by the Claimant as a result of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of any motorist of the vehicle of which I am the Registered Keeper. I further submit that any loss to the landholder (which would be the only party able to claim such losses) would be at most a few pounds.
    2.17. No contract with the claimant: Any contract must have offer, acceptance and consideration both ways. There would not have been consideration from the Claimant to the motorist; the gift of parking is the landowner’s, not Parking & Property Management. The car park in question is understood to be for residents. Therefore there is no consideration from motorist to Parking & Property Management.

2.18. This claimant may try to rely upon the case of ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67, regarding disproportionate charges. However, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court's decisions during the course of that case do not support this claim at all. Beavis was a matter concerning an unusual enforcement regime and location, offering a free licence to park followed after 2 hours, by a charge. Indeed at the Court of Appeal stage the Judges stated that the 'free licence to park' regime was the factor which made that case 'completely different' from ordinary transactional contracts where a sum of money owed can be easily quantified. I suggest, exactly as in my case, where a mere 10p has been quantified as the sum in dispute and surely any reasonable person would consider £100 (and certainly this vastly inflated claim) to be 'extravagant' and out of all proportion.

2.19. The Supreme Court Judges did not disagree with the court of Appeal about ordinary economic contracts and found that such disputes may still be determined by using Lord Dunedin's 'four tests' for defining an unrecoverable penalty, which continues to have useful application in such cases where the facts could be distinguished from the Beavis case, where the Judges held:

- at 32: ''The true test is whether the impugned provision is a secondary obligation which imposes a detriment on the contract-breaker out of all proportion to any legitimate interest of the innocent party in the enforcement of the primary obligation. The innocent party can have no proper interest in simply punishing the defaulter. His interest is in performance or in some appropriate alternative to performance.
    In the case of a straightforward damages clause, that interest will rarely extend beyond compensation for the breach, and we therefore expect that Lord Dunedin’s four tests would usually be perfectly adequate to determine its validity.''

- and, continued Lord Neuberger: ''as Lord Dunedin himself acknowledged, the essential question was whether the clause impugned was “unconscionable” or “extravagant”. The four tests are a useful tool for deciding whether these expressions can properly be applied to simple damages clauses in standard contracts.''

- and at 99: ''…deterrence is not penal if there is a legitimate interest in influencing the conduct of the contracting party which is not satisfied by the mere right to recover damages for breach of contract...the question whether a contractual provision is a penalty turns on the construction of the contract.’’

- Lord Mance at 143: ''The qualification and safeguard is that the agreed sum must not have been extravagant, unconscionable or incommensurate with any possible interest in the maintenance of the system.’’

- Lord Mance at 152: ''What is necessary in each case is to consider, first, whether any (and if so what) legitimate business interest is served and protected by the clause, and, second, whether, assuming such an interest to exist, the provision made for the interest is nevertheless in the circumstances extravagant, exorbitant or unconscionable.''

2.20. In ParkingEye v Cargius A0JD1405 (Wrexham County Court), transcript appended as Exhibit xx, a pay and display car park was held to be completely different from the Beavis case which was on its well-publicised journey through the courts at that time. At 13 in Cargius, the Judge distinguished a pay & display car park tariff dispute from the free car park in Beavis.

2.21. On this basis I believe that the Claimant has not provided any reasonable cause of action and thus the claim should be dismissed in its entirety. The defendant denies the claim in its entirety voiding any liability to the claimant for all amounts claimed due to the aforementioned reasons. It is submitted that the conduct of the Claimant is wholly unreasonable and vexatious. As such, I am keeping a note of my wasted time/costs in dealing with this matter.

2.22. I request the court strike out the claimfor similar reasons cited by District Judge Cross of St Albans County Court on 20/09/16 where a similar claim was struck out without a hearing, due to Gladstones' template particulars for a private parking firm being 'incoherent', failing to comply with CPR16.4, and ''providing no facts that could give rise to any apparent claim in law''.

Statement of Truth:

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.

Full name: XXX

Dated 08/06/2017

Signed: __________________________________
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills