NHS Prescription Fraud

Comments

• Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 11:46PM
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    The situation stated by the OP is starting to make a little more sense, following my trip to my local pharmacy yesterday. They told me that 'the system is changing' and I would have to nominate a pharmacy for my prescription to be sent to electronically, rather than collecting the paper version from the surgery.
    If this has already been implemented where the OP lives, and prescriptions are then being delivered to the home address, the pharmacy should know that the OP no longer qualified for free prescriptions.
    I accept that the OP should have done more when the error was noticed, but the pharmacy should also accept a level of responsibility for delivering the prescription without either ensuring the OP did qualify, or requesting payment on delivery.
    If the OP has been paying for prescriptions for the past 2 years, it isn't their fault that the pharmacy got things wrong in the first place.

Don't believe that its not true, Pharmacies want you to believe it, and they want you to chose THEM, because they get paid extra by the NHS

This is how it works

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/pharmacists/Pages/eps.aspx

And this bit tells you it may not be suitable for everyone and that you can go back to paper prescriptions
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/pharmacists/Documents/eps-patient-information-sheet.pdf

My Local Boots tried that on with me the other day, I told them that's A its not convenient and I will be having paper prescriptions and B If I was mandated to chose the EPS service I would not choose them because they keep @@@@@@ up my husbands prescriptions and I am sick of them (in a loud voice)

There is going to be a TRIAL where patients who don't nominate will be given a paper token with a barcode that will be scanned at any pharmacy, BUT the trial is not even going to start this year so it wont happen for a good while.

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Londonsu wrote: »
    Don't believe that its not true, Pharmacies want you to believe it, and they want you to chose THEM, because they get paid extra by the NHS

This is how it works

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/pharmacists/Pages/eps.aspx

And this bit tells you it may not be suitable for everyone and that you can go back to paper prescriptions
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/pharmacists/Documents/eps-patient-information-sheet.pdf

My Local Boots tried that on with me the other day, I told them that's A its not convenient and I will be having paper prescriptions and B If I was mandated to chose the EPS service I would not choose them because they keep @@@@@@ up my husbands prescriptions and I am sick of them (in a loud voice)
    Tellit is right that the system is changing. In my GP surgery i can't collect a paper prescription because i have to nominate a pharmacy for it to go to. Once i nominate one i simply go there and collect my medication.
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 12:22AM
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Tellit is right that the system is changing. In my GP surgery i can't collect a paper prescription because i have to nominate a pharmacy for it to go to. Once i nominate one i simply go there and collect my medication.

Did you not read the link, its not true you can still get paper prescriptions seriously its not true your GP cannot insist that you nominate anyone they really cant - I have checked and rechecked this, because my work can take me to anyone of three sites at a moments notice so I cant nominate one near my home or near my work because I| don't know where my work will be

look at this
    https://digital.nhs.uk/Electronic-Prescription-Service/statistics-and-progress

In the FUTURE it will be a default option its not now because there needs to be a trial for the paper tokens the trial will not start this year.

This is the information that your GP surgery is given

To use electronic prescriptions, patients choose where their prescriber will electronically send their prescriptions to. This is called nomination.
    Nominations can be set, changed or cancelled at any time.
    • patients must be fully informed about EPS before their nomination can be set on the system
    • nomination is suitable for most patients. Patients on regular repeats and who use the same pharmacy most of the time will see the most benefit
    • patients must opt-in. Changes can't be made to a patient's nomination unless they request it
    And this is also on the link

As a minimum, the following information should be provided to the patient before setting their nomination on the system:

nomination is not mandatory
  • Dullville
    Dullville Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Heaven forbid you ever fall upon this sword of judgment you swing on behalf of authority and find yourself in a position you need medications to survive life itself.

To even suggest someone could turn away medication they need to make it from one day to the next and then to castigate them as a criminal when it is quite clear that the pharmacy have made a mistake here.

One day if your time comes and you are in a position if illness and requiring medication to live you will understand that clerical errors by incompetent pharmacies come quite low on your list of priorities.

Peace.
    Grow up.....
  • Heaven forbid you ever fall upon this sword of judgment you swing on behalf of authority and find yourself in a position you need medications to survive life itself.

To even suggest someone could turn away medication they need to make it from one day to the next and then to castigate them as a criminal when it is quite clear that the pharmacy have made a mistake here.

One day if your time comes and you are in a position if illness and requiring medication to live you will understand that clerical errors by incompetent pharmacies come quite low on your list of priorities.

Peace.
    It isn't clear that the pharmacy made a mistake. We only have the OP's account of what happened.
    The ONLY thing that is clear, is that the OP did not pay for his prescription. He could have taken delivery of the drugs and phoned the pharmacy to pay asap, but did not.

The only person to blame is the OP.
  • I get my prescriptions delivered (including controlled drugs) via a service called pharmacy2u and they don't need to be signed for, they are simply tracked. Sometimes they just come through the post-box.

I really don't blame the OP to be honest as the cost of a prescription is so much these days and yes, some people are struggling to afford the medication they need (I feel very very lucky to be able to get all of mine free, on medical based as well as benefit exemption grounds). It doesn't make this right but I can understand why someone would be tempted to try and get away with it under certain circumstances, and fact is that we do not know the full background here. People are very quick to judge.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Recently the doctor electronically sent the a prescription to the pharmacy. Without my permission they delivered the prescription to my home. I didn't realize straight away and obviously this meant I didn't pay for it.

OP, are you saying that you didn't realise that the prescription had been delivered? Or that you knew it had been delivered but forgot that you hadn't paid for it?

Did you sign for the prescription? If you did, then I don't think you have any chance at all of convincing anyone that you were not responsible, as you knew that you did not have an exemption.

If you did not sign for the prescription, then it's slightly hazier but again, I think that you are likely to be asked why you didn't contact the pharmacy as soon as you realised that the prescription had been delivered but not paid for.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Dullville wrote: »
    Grow up.....

What like trolling forums to castigate sick and vulnerable people caught out by a businesses mistake ?
    That kind of growing up ?

No Thanks.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Did you not read the link, its not true you can still get paper prescriptions seriously its not true your GP cannot insist that you nominate anyone they really cant - I have checked and rechecked this,

look at this
    https://digital.nhs.uk/Electronic-Prescription-Service/statistics-and-progress

I don't doubt that you are correct to say that the GP can't insist on this, but if you're at your GP and they say 'By the way the system is changing and we need you to nominate a pharmacy for your prescription to be sent to' most people would just accept that at being what will happen.
    I'm pleased to hear it's not mandatory as I can imagine our GP 'suggesting' that people use the pharmacy next door to the surgery, and receiving some form of commission from them. I might be wrong of course.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Most of my friends are switching their Boots' EPS Nominations for precisely the same reason as our local branch is rubbish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure