Any positive stories changing from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• bspm wrote: »
    Maybe she asked for one.........

Silly me for not coming up with that gem!

Obviously you have to ask for one, but it would be most helpful to know what the criteria is that you would be entitled to one.
  • missysmum wrote: »
    I was on DLA 15 years,high rate mobility component,indefinite, no care.

Applied for PIP, was assessed without any evidence,was given standard rate on both.

My motability car had to be returned. I appealed. Mandatory Reconsideration was successful, high rate mobility was awarded.

We purchased our own car.

My husband can now claim carers allowance. We are financially much better off than what I was on DLA.

I think that if things hadn't changed,I would never have been reviewed by the DWP. No one reviewed me in all of the 15 years and I didn't think to ask for one.

I'm happy. :)

That's good. You are one of the lucky ones in that your difficulties must have fitted the descriptors. Like you I too had been on DLA for years on and off. Since 2011 I had High Mobility/Middle Care indefinitely, but on transfer to PIP the DWP considered that I was no longer disabled enough to fit any of the descriptors so ended up with '0'.
    The only thing that keeps me sane when trying to understand it all is that I am not alone, 25% of all of those being transferred get no award for PIP.
    As a side issue, did you get any help either with the initial claim form or the MR?
  • Please try not to worry. Can I ask if your husband sees a cpn? My wife does and her cpn was called by pip and she didn't even have to attend a face to face. This puts too much stress on someone with mental health problems. I really hope you get this sorted soon. All the best!
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Silly me for not coming up with that gem!

Obviously you have to ask for one, but it would be most helpful to know what the criteria is that you would be entitled to one.

Just thought that someone who didn't read his completed (by someone else) application for PIP might not have thought you had to ask for a home assessment too.

After all if you don't get a home assessment, even after not asking for one, it gives you something else to moan about surely.

Have a nice day we are off out in our Motor home.

:beer:
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 17 March 2017 at 11:06AM
    My son moved from DLA to PIP really quickly and easily. No face to face assessment, no long wait, and he went from HC, LM on DLA, to enhanced on both for PIP.

Edit- Also wanted to say that my sons is based on Mental Health, mainly Anxiety.
  • Stoodles
    Stoodles Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you think it makes a difference whether you are assessed by Atos or Capita? I know I read that the likelihood of getting a home visit differs between the two providers

There is a map at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/455036/pip-postcode-map.pdf to check provide by postcode.
  • missysmum
    missysmum Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's good. You are one of the lucky ones in that your difficulties must have fitted the descriptors. Like you I too had been on DLA for years on and off. Since 2011 I had High Mobility/Middle Care indefinitely, but on transfer to PIP the DWP considered that I was no longer disabled enough to fit any of the descriptors so ended up with '0'.
    The only thing that keeps me sane when trying to understand it all is that I am not alone, 25% of all of those being transferred get no award for PIP.
    As a side issue, did you get any help either with the initial claim form or the MR?

No outside help, just my husband,with both the PIP claim and MR.
  • bspm wrote: »
    Just thought that someone who didn't read his completed (by someone else) application for PIP might not have thought you had to ask for a home assessment too.

After all if you don't get a home assessment, even after not asking for one, it gives you something else to moan about surely.

Have a nice day we are off out in our Motor home.

:beer:

It's of no consequence for my PIP transfer as a decision has already been made without being offered any face to face assessment.
    I only ask as a matter of interest. From what I have read you have to have your GP confirm that you would be unable to travel to a centre and as they have the GP visit them at home, a home assessment is the only option available to them.
    For your information, and as mentioned earlier, the guy at the Jobcentre entered in the box on the PIP2 that I wanted to go to an assessment centre - without even suggesting that I had another option (home visit).
  • Stoodles wrote: »
    Do you think it makes a difference whether you are assessed by Atos or Capita? I know I read that the likelihood of getting a home visit differs between the two providers

There is a map at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/455036/pip-postcode-map.pdf to check provide by postcode.

I didn't know that their were two different assessors? I believed it was all dealt with by ATOS.
    Ah, yes my area is ATOS
  • missysmum wrote: »
    No outside help, just my husband,with both the PIP claim and MR.

Thanks, well he seems to be in the know, far better than the guy I had fill my form in and he is employed by the DWP at the Jobcentre.

I could understand the descriptors but not how you are supposed to work them into fitting your difficulties. Just couldn't get me head round the safety, reliable etc bit. It all seemed a bit contrived to me. I just couldn't see how the DWP could believe me if I said I could do a thing, then in the next breath say that it is difficult to do it and then expect to be told that I couldn't do it.
    Could I walk 20 metres - yes
    Could I do it without stopping - no
    Answer - no I can't walk 20 metres!!!
    Seems a ridiculous way to explain things.
    But hey ho, no worries I have got over the rejection - others worse than me also fail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure