JSA to ESA (appeal) losing money?

HELP! Just had a call to say my ESA at the appeal rate will be just £87 a week. Myself claiming for me and partner. Partner is my carer and not working.

On JSA we were getting £133 (to nearest £)

Closed JSA on Monday to switch back to ESA whilst the appeal goes through but we will only get £87 a week? Carers allowance of £62 being deducted in full and no disability premium which was being paid on JSA.

Help!.

A little background about my ESA is in this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5534433&page=3

Thank You.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not_Me wrote: »
    HELP! Just had a call to say my ESA at the appeal rate will be just £87 a week. Myself claiming for me and partner. Partner is my carer and not working.

On JSA we were getting £133 (to nearest £)

Closed JSA on Monday to switch back to ESA whilst the appeal goes through but we will only get £87 a week? Carers allowance of £62 being deducted in full and no disability premium which was being paid on JSA.

Help!.

A little background about my ESA is in this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5534433&page=3

Thank You.

There is no disability premium payable in ESA. I believe you are on standard living rate of PIP which does not qualify you for any of the disability premiums in ESA.

You can go back on JSA whilst waiting for your appeal if you choose to do so.

One of the quirks of the system.
  • Not_Me
    Not_Me Posts: 74 Forumite
    Disability premium seems to be added to my JSA figures.

Seems I have no choice really, cannot afford to lose almost £50 a week. Its a gamble on the risk of being sanctioned or lose £50 a week. And currently moving back to JSA appears my only choice.

The only issue now is getting back onto JSA. They mentioned a rapid reclaim?

Thanks
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Get the partner to claim Income Support ASAP for both of you, all will be as before then.

You would need to shut the on-going ESA, but the appeal will still go ahead.
  • Not_Me
    How will that work? Wont they still call me up to the job centre?

Thanks
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No your ignored and required to do nothing, as will be your partner due to her caring responsibilities.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bigbill wrote: »
    No your ignored and required to do nothing, as will be your partner due to her caring responsibilities.

You certainly could get your partner to claim Income support as a carer and add you to the claim. You would get the disability premium with Income Support.

However, it is not true to say that you would be ignored. It has been known for the 'cared for person' (ie you) to be called for a work focused interview. Also your partner could be called but this is not compulsory.

But, it may not happen in the time frame waiting for your tribunal date.

Your choice really.
  • Not_Me
    Thank you, I will have a think.

As you maybe able to tell this is a bit stressing and I am not sleeping very well. Hoping to get to see someone tomorrow and see what my best option would be.

What would happen at a work focus interview if they think I am fit or unfit for full time work?

Thanks.
  • Not_Me
    What a mess.

I received a call after 6pm last night to say I may have been advised wrongly. And not to do anything yet (too late).

They will call me on Monday. This morning I received 2 letters from the ESA. One states not entitled to ESA and the other saying successful and the amount of £87.

I couldn't wait for them to mess me around and risk not having my rent and council tax being paid. We received a notice from the housing last year because they were not paying the rent. Even though the change of circumstances was filled in online and it said thank you and no further information was required. When I called they said they needed the proof of my JSA claim. But the online system said it didn't.

Threats of eviction, but the notice also said that if we miss payments again it can fast track to eviction. This scared my partner she did not sleep after receiving that letter.

Never missed a payment whilst working, and often in a month or so credit, so this is annoying that it's something out of out control.

The Job Centre have made appointments for both of us this time, previously they only called me and did not mention my partner at all.

They also said I need ID the same as last time. No last time I went in and told sign this and this (blank forms) and get a sick note.

I only have an old paper driving licence, they said they do not accept those any more?

What a nightmare.

Any advice? Thank You.
  • Not_Me
    Typical I have came down with another water infection over the weekend which really knocks me about.
    Luckily we managed to get a lift to the job centre and managed to sign on again but oddly this time we both must sign on, where previously only myself needed to. Did someone make a mistake last time?

They processed the claim and advised us to contact income support also. But could not be sure on the amount we would get.

A few little insights into how things work. I was not at my best having had very little sleep though.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Not_Me
    Back Again.

Partner claiming income support as suggested and awaiting the claim to be processed still. Is it me or do they keep moving the goalposts?

Initially they said its 10 days from the claim date. Queried it today and its 10 days from the day she had to visit the Job Centre and signed the paperwork, plus an extra 2 days for the paperwork to be delivered to the Income Support office.

Do I still need to collect sick notes from the Doctors? Does it matter is there is a break between the sick notes? If so what is the limit? A day or 2 or several or week(s)?

Thank You.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport