PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting query

Quicklite
Quicklite Posts: 67 Forumite
edited 13 October 2017 at 11:34PM in House buying, renting & selling
Looking to rent a place as I would like to have my own space. :o Would appreciate some tips on renting a place.

Just wanted to explore this option too. Would be grateful if someone could add some comments.

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There will probably be a clause in the rental contract to say that you can't run a business from the flat. If there is that means that you can't run a business from the flat.
  • Tyler119
    Tyler119 Posts: 341 Forumite
    I think the clauses are generally to discourage tenants from running the sort of business that causes disruption to neighbours. Sounds to me like there would be no more disruption than if you were receiving and sending back amazon parcels.

There is a clause in my house deeds about not running a business from my house. I believe it was originally put into deeds to stop house owners from say running a car repair service from their driveway.

Fixing computers is somewhat different. I would not mention it at all. You can have as many boxes in the property as you want (as long as it is not a fire hazard) and no one can demand to know what it is in them.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Tyler119 wrote: »
    I think the clauses are generally to discourage tenants from running the sort of business that causes disruption to neighbours.

not always....sometimes there is a genuine reason that the clause is inserted into tenancy agreements.

As it is the LL who is responsible for buildings insurance there is generally a question in that application that asks about the running of a business at the property.....by ticking the box this can substantially increase the premium...hence many LL's would rather their tenants did not operate a business through the property.

If you were to run a business,its likely that you may be in breach of your tenancy agreement but also be invalidating the LL's buildings insurance

If you intend to continue your enterprise whilst in rented accommodation,please do so with the LL's full knowledge and permission.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,835
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The problem for LL when letting flats comes from the Lease they agree to when they buy the property.

Leases sometimes have clauses on running businesses, keeping pets, using communal facilities at and the LL has no influence to change these.

Check with the LL what is allowed under their lease terms.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The terms of the landlord's lease, and the terms of the property insurance policy are both good reasons why a business might not be allowed.
  • Quicklite
    Quicklite Posts: 67 Forumite
    Thanks for the good points people. Went for a viewing today. Really liked it. Will followup tomorrow and gently brush on it with the estates agent. LL owns the retail unit underneath too I think (so it might be a case of more rent).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure