Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • KOVU
    • By KOVU 15th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ESA & Advanced Learner Loan
    • #1
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    ESA & Advanced Learner Loan 15th Mar 17 at 11:04 PM
    I am 27, I've been on ESA work related activity group for the past 8+ years for mental health issues. For the past few years I have found myself increasingly frustrated that I may never reach a point where I can change my situation, I have little to no education past school, no work experience, and no prospects for the future. My issues mean that I find social situations extremely difficult and distressing, I have been trying to work on that, though I still find it rather difficult.

    I would like to be able to complete my college education, this would put me on a better standing education, employment and prospect wise and at the same time help me get more used to social situations. The course I am looking at is a part time Access to HE, so I think I might be able get along with it easier without overwhelming myself.

    What I need advice about is would my ESA payments discontinue if I took out the Advance Learner Loan needed for the course? I am reluctant to ask this of the ESA governing body for fear that they will cancel my payments. I cannot afford to risk taking the course loan if it means losing my ESA. I live with my mother who is unable to work and who struggles to pay the mortgage. Without my ESA we would of lost the family home years ago, and it would hurt the both of us to lose it. My brother died in this house and I'm afraid for my mother if she should be forced to leave.
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #2
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    Give the Disabled Students Helpline a ring:

    "Telephone: 0800 328 5050

    Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays


    Our advisors can advise and support disabled people who are studying or wish to study at any level on full-time or part-time education or training courses if
    the course is in England and
    they are over 16

    We can advise and support
    disabled students or
    parents and/or carers of disabled students or
    professionals working with disabled students"

    They should be able to give you a definitive answer.

    This is one of their guides which may be of use:

    Last edited by Alice Holt; 15-03-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 16th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • #3
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    The loan is to cover the course fees so you shouldn't lose money. But you may still need to inform DWP.

    Best to do as Alice suggests and get a definitive answer.

    Last edited by Tommo1980; 16-03-2017 at 8:51 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,695Posts Today

6,508Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin