Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 15th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    No Contract Pack
    • #1
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    No Contract Pack 15th Mar 17 at 9:57 AM
    Had our offer on a freehold property accepted at the beginning of February and we're still waiting for the draft contract pack to be returned to his solicitor by the vendor. I've been chasing our solicitor and estate agent but we're not getting any response from the seller and the seller's solicitor is replying that they've not received instructions from their client. The last we heard was that he's just had his offer accepted on the house he's buying. Has anyone had a similar experience or is it just a waiting game / is the seller just not completing his documents until he has his onward purchase tied up?

    Any advice would be appreciated!
Page 2
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 17th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Thank you. Glad yours is moving along now.

    So you called the vendors estate agents on their onward chain? Did your EA give you their details? I think I'll try the same approach!
    Originally posted by jamrob78
    Thanks. And sorry, not quite clear on your question but I spoke to the EA marketing our vendors property (i.e. the Agents we made the offer with) to get a better idea of the vendors position. As they are looking after the sale they also need to be aware of the vendors intentions going forward, so vendors had let them know about their progress in finding their onward purchase. So I would speak to your vendors agent as well as your own agent. So frustrating sometimes having to do all this through third parties, but I did get both some assurances about our vendors position and movement in getting paperwork sorted!
    Last edited by starshapedbrick; 17-03-2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 7,551 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks

    I did call the other EA who I thought was discreetly marketing to ask about the property. They asked if I'd already viewed it. I do know it was originally listed with them and then the vendor moved EAs for some reason. I assume the old EA can only accept offers from people who've already viewed the property when it was listed with them at this stage.
    Originally posted by jamrob78
    You've not definitively sorted out whether they are still marketing it. I got a friend to enquire about organising a viewing when I had similar suspicions. I know am not good at acting and knew I would get flustered if I thought the agent had guessed my motives for enquiring.
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 17th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    I think I would just ask the agent currently marketing it about the other listing. Even more impetus then for them to get hold of the vendor and given they are likely to know the other agent they might be able to get you your answer without resorting to subterfuge!
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 22nd Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Is it possible the seller has accepted a higher offer without making me aware, as that's the only reason I can think that he's taken 8 weeks and not returned the contract pack to his solicitor. Is the seller obliged to let everyone know they're progressing with another party or could they be keeping me on the back burner in case his higher offer falls through?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,036Posts Today

6,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin