Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Mary Hopkins
    • By Mary Hopkins 14th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mary Hopkins
    Property Transfer
    • #1
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    Property Transfer 14th Mar 17 at 1:03 PM
    Does anyone know if there is a time restriction on registering part of a property with Land Registry?
    My son has inherited half of our house but we are clearing the mortage before registering. My husband died last September, probate is complete and we will probably be ready to do the transfer in August 2017

Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 44,105 Posts
    • 52,275 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • #2
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    No. But be aware of Capital Gains Tax.

    If the property has increased in value between

    a) the date of death and value provided for Probate and Inheritance Tax, and

    b) the date of the transfer and market value on that date

    then CGT may be due. The Executers should declare & pay this on behalf of the Estate.

    Be aware also that if your son does not live there, then he also may have to pay CGT if/when the property is sold.
  • Land Registry
    • #3
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • #3
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    Mary Hopkins - as G_M has posted there is no time restriction re such matters as your son has in effect inherited a share in the beneficial ownership.

    If you and your late husband were joint registered owners than the legal ownership and that is to be transferred then that can be done at any stage by you transferring the whole of the legal title to yourself and him. The guidance explains how to do this and you would also need to lodge an official copy of your late husband's death certificate
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,431Posts Today

7,171Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin