Squirrelgirls MF quest

Comments

• Change of plan- decided to check out all my 'pots' and put the intended amount into the monthly house improvement payment - if I don't have enough for everything I'll take some out again to cover....I'm saving for the improvements in the offset and interest is charged daily so it can't hurt! ;)
  • Well January turned out okay...hit the target and sorted quite a few other bits out. However, February is a total write off!! :o dh and I decided to have a weekend away and spent a fortune :eek: basically, I have put a minimum of a month on our target - although it's unfortunate, I'm okay with it, we had a fabulous time and it was worth it ;)

What it does mean is that I have minimal wiggle room now....hopefully I can reduce the costs of the house improvements a bit and claw some back there but one way or the other, my mortgage is still going on 1st April next year! ;)

I'm hoping for a low spend week this week - I'm going to do the meal plan and shopping list tomorrow then sort out a couple of bills and the house. I've got a good vibes about this next month, I think that I can start to make an impact on my plans and move things forward :D
  • I'm hoping for a low spend week this week - I'm going to do the meal plan and shopping list tomorrow then sort out a couple of bills and the house. I've got a good vibes about this next month, I think that I can start to make an impact on my plans and move things forward :D

Keep those good vibes going SG :) Try not to worry too much about your weekend away - it's important to live a little too.

MGx
    :jMortgage free 08.08.19 :j
    2018: £19410.25 / £9,300 2017: £7646.64 / £11,000 2016: 4557.98 / £11,000 2015: £10,230.37 / £11,000 2014 =£6703.26 / £11,000 2013 = £4288.51 / £8000 2012 = £1600/£5000 2011 = £2579/£3000
    MF date was Nov 2041 - mortgage neutral 23.07.18

• Well, nothing improved!! :o February a total disaster and March will be too!!:eek:

I have a chaotic month ahead which will prove expensive so I'm expecting that March's salary will be consumed by it.

That gives me only 11 months to clear the mortgage and do the house...in all honesty, I don't see that I can do it:( however, I'm going to get as close as I can....it probably means postponing start dates on the house as getting rid of the mortgage is too close to let go of, whereas I am happy to extend the house renovation fund for a couple of extra months....

I need to get myself back in the right mindset and start fighting again....I can't keep letting this complacency win:o
  • Enforced nsd's yesterday and today...we're snowed in! I'm okay with it as it gives me a chance to get myself a bit more organised as I've been running around like a headless chicken for the past 4-6 weeks!! :(

I've sorted insurances, breakdown cover and the electricity bill- we have the old cars mot this month though so that's going to have a massive impact on which way we move forward. We may have to buy a 'new'car so I want to know asap!

Anyhow, I'm pretty comfortable with having some me time...I'll work out ways to reduce my expenditure as much as possible over the next month ;):D
  • Mot booked for Friday so I'll feel better when I'm back on top of that as far as knowing what i need to do ;)

I'm going to clear the cc this month of outstanding debt and have a figure in my head that I am not prepared to go over - until I see what cash remains, I can't say I won't need to use it still. Once i check what remains this month cash wise, I will be extremely careful with the use of either! :o

I still have a number of prebooked social events this month then I'm pretty much putting a stop to it all - I really need some time off and weekends to do things at home!

I'm hoping to put 1k to the savings the month- it's not going to be easy to achieve but I have to get some progression before I start to lose hope!! :rotfl:
  • It's been how long??!!! :eek:

Well, I can safely say that there's little to no chance of being mortgage free and house sorted by April 2019! :(

This year has been insane - socially, it's been every weekend, the odd one that hasn't, I've worked! It's been a great deal more expensive that expected too and that's impacted greatly on the financial plans. So, I'm not going to make ridiculous attempts to rectify it, I'm just giving myself 12 months from now to have it sorted and paid for. That is challenging but achievable.

I'm currently decluttering the house and getting quotes for windows and doors. I've approached an electrician and will do some more this week. Once I have dates for the sparky and the windows, I can book the plasterer and decorator.

My job has changed and I'm working from home which means a slight increase in income and a huge increase in time! :D it will enable me to maintain the house better, fit in some exercise and gives me less spending opportunities ;):rotfl:

Seriously though, it makes life easier for me - I can make time for coming on the boards, doing more for my house and me and I'm much more productive without the constant interruptions of an office! :D

I'm going to run through figures when the quotes come in- it's pointless doing anything before that but I know that all increases in income that arise from the job change will be coming off the mortgage. In fact, all 'spare' income will be off the mortgage - the house expenditure will be my salary only - that way I'm still making inroads on the mortgage however small ;)

Right, off to appointments now...hoe everyone has a great day! :D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Congrats on the new job! :T :T

Still sounds like you're looking to be MF end of 2019? - I'd say that's pretty darn good! :D x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Thanks greent!! :D

It's still good but I'm disappointed that it won't be as early as I'd hoped but no point in worrying about it ;)

Today I've made a tartiflette for dinner, using up a bag of potatoes, a box of vegan chorizo, a carton of soya cream, a sad onion, the remains of a jar of dijon mustard and the remains of a bottle of wine....dh will be watching the footie so it's easy to eat without effort! ;)

I am very stocked up with food so there may be some savings from that this month...I am also hoping that we'll have a bit of petrol money left over so if we do, I'll be putting that to the mortgage ....

I should have the remaining quotes for the windows at the end of this week and I am waiting for my sparky to come over to quote so I'll be able to make some decisions at the weekend on timings....just want to get it started really!!
  • Okay, we've decided on the windows and paid the deposit. I have guesstimated the remainder of the renovation costs and the remainder of the mortgage and have worked out when I can realistically pay it all off/get it all done.

My best guesstimate is 22nd Dec 2019. That's on the premise that nothing goes over budget and there are no financial catastrophes in the next 17 months!! ;):rotfl:

My plan is to put additional salary to the mortgage, budget savings will be split between the house fund and the mortgage fund. I am going to do everything I can to reduce this time frame - thankfully I have cupboards with enough essentials (food, toiletries, laundry and cleaning) to last six months with top ups of fruit, vegetables, bread and milk (for dh & ds). I will make any additional purchases only if absolutely essential so i should have leftover funds from that. Working from home should leave a surplus in the fuel budget and I am going to reduce the use of everything I can think of!

I will minimise waste, think if I could use an alternative before I purchase anything I need and account for every penny. It's going to be 527 days of being money conscious to a level and consistency that I haven't previously shown so I know there's going to be a lot of work to do! :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure