Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 12th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 245Posts
    • 1,422Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Squirrelgirls MF quest
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    Squirrelgirls MF quest 12th Mar 17 at 3:44 PM
    I am venturing into the MF Wannabe world!!

I have recently come to the end of my mortgage deal and have got a new one which runs to the 31st March 2019. My plan is to clear my mortgage on 1st April 2019

I have an offset mortgage, so I can spend between now and then either paying off the capital or putting the extras into the offset savings - knowing me, it will probably be a combo of both as I really like seeing the figure I owe drop (it's a psychological thing!! ) until I get close to the end, then it will have to go into the savings so that I don't accidently pay it of too soon and end up with early repayment charges

My mortgage is actually due to finish in 2024 - and although I have paid a considerable sum off over the past 5 years or so, I haven't made any op's for about 2 years as I took a break from work. I have several things that I need to sort financially between now and the end of November, so my bigger op's won't start till then, but I am going to make every effort to put at least 50 extra per month towards it until then.

My ability to save money on food and household products is limited as I don't use supermarkets and buy everything as ethically as possible - this means that I am going to have to be creative and stretch what I have as far as possible I do have a massive stockpile of dried goods and a freezer full of stuff so I am going to be able to minimise my spends over the next month or so.

I will go over my 'bills' budget too and see where I can make savings - I currently overestimate everything bill wise and can probably reduce the amount we put in by at least 10 - once I have checked out what is in there, I will tilly-tidy the surplus and make a start!

I am reasonably confident that I will be getting a very small pay rise in April and hopeful that dh will too, so am intending to put that towards the mortgage - we have a persie amount each which is adequate for now so I'm happy to utilise any increases we have for op's.

Right, off to check out the bill account and see what I can do!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 8066.43/25300; Mortgage - 528/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167 528/ 15000
Page 4
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 5th Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Two posts in one day.....strange but true...

I've spent the past couple of hours reading the boards and i am feeling all motivated!!

I am going to have another look at my finances in the next few days and see what else I can do to save more cash - I have no excuse not to hit this really hard and I have looked at some of my old diaries and realised that there are lots of other ways I could reduce expenditure.....the small stuff that I tend to forget about.....so I am going to have that conversation with the rest of the family at the weekend and stop messing around!
    MFW No. 167 528/ 15000
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 6th Sep 18, 8:22 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Morning!

Made a decision last night that the 'cash' part of the house fund which I had in the house to pay the for the sparky etc needs to be put in the offset to take a bit off the mortgage interest, so have sent dh to work with it all to get in the bank Previously, I didn't see the point as it won't make much difference, but even if it saves 5p, it's 5p I don't have to find!

We balanced the food and petrol budgets yesterday too - I'm reasonably confident that we will have some left over at the end of this month as the eating situation has been non-existent for the past week

I have sent a message to the plasterer and should be getting the quote today so that should give me a much clearer idea of whether my first quote was reasonable - personally I'm hoping it wasn't as its close to 1.5k more than I was expecting!! Honestly, I've been reading some stuff about peoples renovations and it seems that they are doing it very cheaply - trouble is, we haven't had any experience with this so don't really know what to expect price wise....hopefully, getting plenty of quotes will mean I'm not being ripped off but I don't like to mess people around so don't want to get too many peoples hopes up that they will get the job. It's a dilemma!!

Quiet day expected today - I'm going to sort the house, finish the laundry and then get all my 'to do' lists written for the week ahead......then this afternoon, I am going to check the offset balance and update my sig!
    MFW No. 167 528/ 15000
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 13th Sep 18, 8:34 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Not much progress on any front at the moment

I am going to call the window company today as my installation date was meant to be between 6-8 weeks - 7.5 weeks in, I've heard nothing at all!! Not had a quote from the plasterer, my electrician has hurt his back and I'm beginning to think that nobody actually wants my business!! Seriously though, I never realised that getting trades people would be so fraught...it seems very odd to me.....

I had a very expensive day yesterday celebrating dd's birthday - I had the money aside for her and the meal but ended up spending a fortune on the grandbaby - slightly annoyed with myself but not enough to stop doing it! New shoes, clothes and toys were all purchased so worthwhile really and I've made up my mind that I will won't get anything else prior to solstice

Spent a bit on fruit yesterday - a couple of grapefruits, oranges, pomegranates and avocadoes for my salad - so won't need anything more over the next few days; I've still got a few bits of veg (sprouting broccoli and asparagus) so will cook them, dress in Dijon and maple and serve warm with the salad, some leaves, lentils and quinoa today. I do love autumn salads

Dh put another few pennies into the jar yesterday - so pleased that he is still focused!!

Right, off to sort the house then phone the window people....I'll be back tomorrow if my head hasn't exploded!!
    MFW No. 167 528/ 15000
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 14th Sep 18, 3:57 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I called the window company and was given a date at the end of October!!! Absolutely not acceptable or reasonable and trying to complain by speaking to someone was a joke - I was basically told that I just had to deal with it! Urrm, I don't think so!
    Anyway, I have emailed my complaint now and received a response that they will look into it - all I can say is that if they don't resolve it, I'll be taking it a lot further!

Okay - rant over (thankfully I didn't post about it yesterday or the rant could have gone on for pages! ) and on to other stuff.....

I've got a busy weekend planned (weather permitting!) - tomorrow I'm taking the grandbaby to feed the ducks, having a picnic and then coming home to pick elderberries for cordial. I'm going to be making jam with the ginger which I made the ginger whisky with - I've got plenty of jars saved and the last lot I made was absolutely gorgeous! Thankfully, dh doesn't like it so more for me!

40p in the jar today - found it in an old coat pocket so pretty pleased with that

463 days to go.....
    MFW No. 167 528/ 15000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,996Posts Today

8,837Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin