Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 12th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 310Posts
    • 1,653Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Squirrelgirls MF quest
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    Squirrelgirls MF quest 12th Mar 17 at 3:44 PM
    I am venturing into the MF Wannabe world!!

I have recently come to the end of my mortgage deal and have got a new one which runs to the 31st March 2019. My plan is to clear my mortgage on 1st April 2019

I have an offset mortgage, so I can spend between now and then either paying off the capital or putting the extras into the offset savings - knowing me, it will probably be a combo of both as I really like seeing the figure I owe drop (it's a psychological thing!! ) until I get close to the end, then it will have to go into the savings so that I don't accidently pay it of too soon and end up with early repayment charges

My mortgage is actually due to finish in 2024 - and although I have paid a considerable sum off over the past 5 years or so, I haven't made any op's for about 2 years as I took a break from work. I have several things that I need to sort financially between now and the end of November, so my bigger op's won't start till then, but I am going to make every effort to put at least 50 extra per month towards it until then.

My ability to save money on food and household products is limited as I don't use supermarkets and buy everything as ethically as possible - this means that I am going to have to be creative and stretch what I have as far as possible I do have a massive stockpile of dried goods and a freezer full of stuff so I am going to be able to minimise my spends over the next month or so.

I will go over my 'bills' budget too and see where I can make savings - I currently overestimate everything bill wise and can probably reduce the amount we put in by at least 10 - once I have checked out what is in there, I will tilly-tidy the surplus and make a start!

I am reasonably confident that I will be getting a very small pay rise in April and hopeful that dh will too, so am intending to put that towards the mortgage - we have a persie amount each which is adequate for now so I'm happy to utilise any increases we have for op's.

Right, off to check out the bill account and see what I can do!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 13585.85/25300; Mortgage - 1160/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
Page 4
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 5th Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Two posts in one day.....strange but true...

I've spent the past couple of hours reading the boards and i am feeling all motivated!!

I am going to have another look at my finances in the next few days and see what else I can do to save more cash - I have no excuse not to hit this really hard and I have looked at some of my old diaries and realised that there are lots of other ways I could reduce expenditure.....the small stuff that I tend to forget about.....so I am going to have that conversation with the rest of the family at the weekend and stop messing around!
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 6th Sep 18, 8:22 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Morning!

Made a decision last night that the 'cash' part of the house fund which I had in the house to pay the for the sparky etc needs to be put in the offset to take a bit off the mortgage interest, so have sent dh to work with it all to get in the bank Previously, I didn't see the point as it won't make much difference, but even if it saves 5p, it's 5p I don't have to find!

We balanced the food and petrol budgets yesterday too - I'm reasonably confident that we will have some left over at the end of this month as the eating situation has been non-existent for the past week

I have sent a message to the plasterer and should be getting the quote today so that should give me a much clearer idea of whether my first quote was reasonable - personally I'm hoping it wasn't as its close to 1.5k more than I was expecting!! Honestly, I've been reading some stuff about peoples renovations and it seems that they are doing it very cheaply - trouble is, we haven't had any experience with this so don't really know what to expect price wise....hopefully, getting plenty of quotes will mean I'm not being ripped off but I don't like to mess people around so don't want to get too many peoples hopes up that they will get the job. It's a dilemma!!

Quiet day expected today - I'm going to sort the house, finish the laundry and then get all my 'to do' lists written for the week ahead......then this afternoon, I am going to check the offset balance and update my sig!
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 13th Sep 18, 8:34 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Not much progress on any front at the moment

I am going to call the window company today as my installation date was meant to be between 6-8 weeks - 7.5 weeks in, I've heard nothing at all!! Not had a quote from the plasterer, my electrician has hurt his back and I'm beginning to think that nobody actually wants my business!! Seriously though, I never realised that getting trades people would be so fraught...it seems very odd to me.....

I had a very expensive day yesterday celebrating dd's birthday - I had the money aside for her and the meal but ended up spending a fortune on the grandbaby - slightly annoyed with myself but not enough to stop doing it! New shoes, clothes and toys were all purchased so worthwhile really and I've made up my mind that I will won't get anything else prior to solstice

Spent a bit on fruit yesterday - a couple of grapefruits, oranges, pomegranates and avocadoes for my salad - so won't need anything more over the next few days; I've still got a few bits of veg (sprouting broccoli and asparagus) so will cook them, dress in Dijon and maple and serve warm with the salad, some leaves, lentils and quinoa today. I do love autumn salads

Dh put another few pennies into the jar yesterday - so pleased that he is still focused!!

Right, off to sort the house then phone the window people....I'll be back tomorrow if my head hasn't exploded!!
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 14th Sep 18, 3:57 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I called the window company and was given a date at the end of October!!! Absolutely not acceptable or reasonable and trying to complain by speaking to someone was a joke - I was basically told that I just had to deal with it! Urrm, I don't think so!
    Anyway, I have emailed my complaint now and received a response that they will look into it - all I can say is that if they don't resolve it, I'll be taking it a lot further!

Okay - rant over (thankfully I didn't post about it yesterday or the rant could have gone on for pages! ) and on to other stuff.....

I've got a busy weekend planned (weather permitting!) - tomorrow I'm taking the grandbaby to feed the ducks, having a picnic and then coming home to pick elderberries for cordial. I'm going to be making jam with the ginger which I made the ginger whisky with - I've got plenty of jars saved and the last lot I made was absolutely gorgeous! Thankfully, dh doesn't like it so more for me!

40p in the jar today - found it in an old coat pocket so pretty pleased with that

463 days to go.....
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 22nd Sep 18, 6:16 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Money transferred to the house fund, still nothing from the window company and 50 paid directly to the mortgage as the lack of op's was giving me the jitters!!

Really busy at the moment and juggling a number of things so will update properly on Monday...
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 24th Sep 18, 11:17 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    A mix of positives and negatives at the moment - we have saved 140 out of the grocery budget this month! plus I got a bonus which I have paid to the cc as that had took a hammering recently due to a number of unplanned expenses (dh needed the dentist and opticians )

I have almost given up hope on the house front - still nothing from the window company (there was me thinking that going with a national, well-established company would make things easier if something went wrong ) so I'll give them until the end of this week then I am going to the trade organisations to formally complain.

The plasterer didn't come back with a quote so I've told him not to bother and have another number to call now but I'm still not sure when my sparky intends to start or if my windows and doors will ever get done so no point in contacting him yet

It's always a mixed bag I suppose, but I have at least continued to accrue the money towards the jobs regardless of whether I can get anyone to do the work eventually!!

I will get dh to transfer funds to the savings tonight - he was going to do it at the weekend but the systems were down so I'm hoping that the situation is rectified now.....my mortgage interest is charged daily so I want that cash in the offset!

One thing to note - my mortgage is split into two parts - both of which are individually less than the amount of money in the offset but combined are more....so technically I'm part mortgage neutral!

454 days to go!
    Last edited by squirrelgirl; 24-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    MFW No. 167
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 28th Sep 18, 4:32 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Hi squirrelgirl have you had any joy from the window company yet?
    CRx
    Mortgage 82,000, due to end July 2036. 4/11/18 Mortgage 79,872.13
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 3rd Oct 18, 1:15 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Hi CR....nothing at all from them so I've sent an email insisting that they escalate the complaint as they have not followed their own complaints procedure and I've copied in the GGF too...honestly, I've got to the point of despair with them.... I don't want to sort out another company to do the work until I have a full refund and acknowledgement that our original contract is null and void - which means that I probably won't be able to get the work done this side of christmas...

On a brighter note....I had the grandbaby at the weekend then a couple of days in London with my sister which was absolutely lovely!! I'm absolutely knackered now but that just shows my age Thankfully, it was a very cheap couple of days as it was my birthday pressie from my sis - she spoilt me rotten

Not much to report on the money saving front.....however, if all goes as it should with the window company, I'm pretty sure that I can get the same windows from a local company for around 2k less than I was going to pay....that will hopefully mean that I can get the house fund together more quickly and then the mortgage OP's can start. The kids will start paying rent at the beginning of next month so that will go straight to the house fund - all of which is good news if the work ever gets started!!

444 days to go.....
    MFW No. 167
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 3rd Oct 18, 9:05 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    You must be really frustrated. Fingers crossed it will get sorted out soon.
    CRx
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 10th Oct 18, 8:44 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Response from the window company was pitiful - just repeated the same 'it is what it is' mantra that prompted the original complaint! My response was to insist on a full refund of my deposit and an end to the contract - I'll await a response but I'm not hopeful

On the plus side - another 22 to the house fund from the jar I know it's not ground-breaking but at least we're still moving forward! I'll update my sig once I've got the exact amounts.

I've also got a date from my sparky for when he's starting the work with all the grief with the windows, it's nice to have something happening with the house

438 days to go.....
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 22nd Oct 18, 8:22 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Its been a busy week!!
    Spent the weekend sorting and clearing out the house ready for the works to start...we've done two trips to the tip and cleared out so much stuff its scary but immensely satisfying!
    sparky starts either tomorrow or Wednesday and the windows should be put in next monday and Tuesday (although with their track record, who knows ).
    Today i will phone a plasterer who is hopefully reliable (son of one of my friends so fingers crossed ) and get a quote from him - I'd really like to have it done by the middle of November if possible but I'll have to wait to see when hes available....
    I also need to call the council to take away the furniture we've moved from the house...3 wardrobes, 2 chests of drawers, 2 double bed frames, 1 single bed frame, 1 double mattress and a washing machine!! and then sort appointments for fitted wardrobes to be sorted...I'm exhausted just thinking about it!!
    It sort of feels like we're starting again from scratch - our clothing (what remains of it since our clear out ) is in boxes and we're sleeping on a matress on the floor! I must admit that the rest of the household are not impressed with slumming it but for once, I don't care!! in 4-6 months the interior of the house will finally be the way i want it...ive waited almost 20 years for this so no amount of whingeing from the rest of the family can bring me down!!
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 22nd Oct 18, 1:56 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    So - dvd's have been sold to ziffit and musicmagpie I shall post them tomorrow - only about 40 in total (dread to think how much I have spent on them but can't worry about that now! ) so that will go straight to the house fund when it comes through....

There are several that neither will take so they will go to the charity shop - in all honesty, I'm just glad to see the back of them - we have kept the ones that we watch repeatedly and knowing what I know now, I will never buy another dvd from the shop - just not worth the outlay!!

Anyhoo, feel better for getting that frog done - it's been a long time coming and it means another two boxes worth of stuff out of my house! Council has been called and the first lot of stuff will go this week - it worked out cheaper to do it in two lots than get the whole amount gone in one go so I will still have a garden full of rubbish until the end of next week but I can deal with that

Right, onwards and upwards as they say....off to do some work!!

425 days to go!!
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 23rd Oct 18, 3:17 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    House is totally upside down...sparky hard at work!

Had a quick estimate from one of the wardrobe companies...between 3-5k for a 9ft run of wardrobe!!! They must be having a laugh!

Anyhoo, told ds that he now has the job of building them Seriously, what are these people on...its basically a box with shelves, drawers and rails!! Amazes me that they are in business...obviously some people have more money than sense!

Think we're doing okay on the grocery front...as its a 5 week month we're living on last months budget until the end of the month and I'm still hopeful that we'll have a few pennies left toput to the house fund I've sorted dinner for today which has all come from stocks (managed to get some free veg ) so its all good here!

424 days to go..
    MFW No. 167
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 23rd Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Hope those windows are going to be in soon too. I forgot it was a 5 week month and total miss calculated our budget.
    CRx
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 23rd Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    squirrelgirl thanks for your moral boosting comments on my diary. I want you to know that your comments have had a huge impact (in a good way) upon me. Both you and hazelnutty made today a better day.
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 28th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Starting to get there!
    Windows are going in tomorrow...they confirmed on Friday afternoon...fingers crossed that the installation is better than their customer service!!
    Sparky has done most of the upstairs now, house is in total turmoil and we live in a dust cloud but it will all be worth it in the end! the rubbish has gone from the front garden and I'm finally feeling that things are heading in the right direction!

CR, I'm pleased that I was able to make you feel a little better honestly, you have so much to deal with it amazes me that you cope so well and keep ploughing on regardless! You're an inspiration to us all!
    Today i will be trying to regain some semblance of order in the house...I know that its probably pointless with the work ongoing but a little less brickdust would be nice
    Money wise, we saved another 140 from the grocery and shopping budgets this month so thats gone straight to the house fund (straight to the sparky actually ) I'm really pleased with that and hope that we get another good month in November
    420 days to go....
    MFW No. 167
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 28th Oct 18, 12:45 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 11,124 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    So pleased you finally have the window peeps in tomorrow, sounds like such a hassle!

Music magpie and ziifit do make it easy to get rid of lots of stuff but like you say it's horrible to think of how much you originally spent on it all!

Fingers crossed tomorrow goes well!
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 3302.35/ 3000 110%
    Aug: 461.02 Sept: 10 Oct: 240.82 Nov: 50.65

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 29th Oct 18, 12:16 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Fingers crossed those windows are going in a I type.
    CRx
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 29th Oct 18, 3:01 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Thanks CR....the upstairs is now done!! Really nice lads installing them too....shame that I can't say the same about the rest of the company but it's good that they are lovely!

Went to the launderette yesterday as my washing machine is currently out of action (had to move it for the sparky and window people) the price is shocking!! Gave up on drying them there, so came home to use my own td...had a lot to do so was up a lot later than I intended last night and am really tired today....however, once the plasterer has been tonight to quote, I'm off to bed!
    Think I'm going to tell dh to get himself a takeaway for dinner....can't get to the cooker at the moment as there is plasterboard in the way! I'm adding all these additional expenses to the overall house fund budget though, so at least they aren't coming out of any other funds.....

It really does look like a warzone in my house at the moment....my wonderful sis has told me to go to hers for the weekend but I have declined and told her that I will go when there is a bit more order in the house as I will really need the break by then Seriously, I know that living like this is pretty traumatic for me (I don't do too well with mess!) but I know that I'm in such a fortunate position to be able to do all this work and get my home the way I want it to be that I really shouldn't be complaining..... lots of alcohol is helping with the not caring too much but I need to stop being so stressy about the chaos....at least it's chaos of my own choosing!

418 days to go.......
    MFW No. 167
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 29th Oct 18, 3:57 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Hi

I've read your whole diary and its nice to see how honest its been.
    I'm also hitting my mortgage overoayments at the moment but I think it'll end up like yours with life getting in the way.
    Good liik with the house renovations
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin