PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Blinds

Please can I have an opinion on this? I live in a downstairs flat, currently have blinds in the kitchen and bathroom and over the main patio door, curtains and nets in the lounge and bedroom.

I am getting fed up of the nets and they are now tearing. I do want blinds, particularly in the bedroom as my bedroom window looks straight out on to the patio where anyone could walk up and look through.

I like the roller blind that I've got in my kitchen but am wondering if it would be suitable for a bedroom with a big window and being like a goldfish bowl. The vertical blinds are a good option but I like putting things on my window sill and wouldn't be able to do with these, also cost is a factor.

I've had the window measured up for all different blinds and am still waiting for the quote.

In the living room I could get away with just curtains and nothing else.

Also I rent and keep thinking that if I do move one day, which isn't on the cards now, would I be wasting my money getting blinds to fit, but I want to feel safe and cosy where I am living now.

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    how much is too much to spend is subjective. have you looked for second hand blinds, maybe more affordable. roller blinds are usually quite cheap.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Maybe not answering your exact question, but if you do decide on any type of blind, give blinds2go a try. We've used them quite a few times and they were unbelievably cheaper than any other quotes we got.
    Second hand is definitely a good option too. You could find what you want on eBay easily.
    Our living room is very close to the footpath outside and we debated long and hard what blinds to go for as we had had old curtains and nets while the building work was going on.
    We decided against vertical blinds as some of our neighbours have them and you can see right in unless they are almost closed.
    We went for wood type Venetian in the end. But we still ended up with a thin, single layer of net curtain which you can't really see but gives that wee bit more privacy.
    Because the house has large glass doors at the back too, you can see anyone inside really easily as there is light from both ends
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    same here we have venetian blinds at the windows and then voile panels/plain net on curtain wires as well. Nobody can see in through these unless the light is on which we rarely need in daylight hours except for darker days in Winter when weather is bad..We also have lined curtains to close when we need to have the light on for total privacy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure