Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • es5595
    • By es5595 10th Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 90Thanks
    Sound Insulation
    • #1
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    Sound Insulation 10th Mar 17 at 11:02 PM
    I'm in a middle terrace, and just over a year ago an investor bought the house next to me and split it in two, into a tiny 1.5 bed and a three bed at the end of the terrace.

    He removed two chimney breasts, and knocked the lounger and dining room into one lounge/diner/kitchen. Plans are at Chelmsford city council, planning application 15/01369/FUL

    Whilst it was under construction it was very noisy, and ever as it neared completion I could hear a conversation at ease through the party wall. I was told this was because they hadn't put the soundproofing in yet and I put it down to noisy labourers too. However, the new neighbours moved in a few weeks ago and its been horrendous. I'm sitting here now and can hear every word thats being said.

    The houses were build c1895, had very thick walls and previously I couldn't hear a thing (and can't from the house on the other side either!).

    So my question is what sound insulation are they required to have? Who should have checked this and where can I confirm its been done?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 44,090 Posts
    • 52,229 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    Building Control at the council should have checked the conversion complied with Building Regulations, and issued a compliance certificate
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 25,051 Posts
    • 92,598 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • #3
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    To comply with building regs after chimney removal, the party wall must be 225mm (9") thick.

    Apart from that, I'm not aware of any legal requirement for sound insulation.

    It's likely that you will need to be the one who installs sound insulation, unless there has been a breach of building regs.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • millie84
    • By millie84 11th Mar 17, 7:32 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:32 AM
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:32 AM
    I'll enquire at work, one of our departments does acoustic testing so I'm sure someone will know the regulations on existing dwellings/conversions
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 4,703 Thanks
    • #5
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • #5
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    This conversion will have to have met Part E and it sounds like it hasn't.

    I like that part E applies to party walls. But that's just me.

    Have a read then check with Chelmsford BR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,090Posts Today

7,733Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin