Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Kellyanne1703
    • By Kellyanne1703 10th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Part Time Self Employment
    • #1
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    Part Time Self Employment 10th Mar 17 at 4:47 PM
    I work full time ( being made redundant in November 2017 ) I have always done photography as a hobby, now I believe would be the ideal time to make it earn.

    How do I go about setting up a part time business?

    Some questions I have:
    1) Do I have to pay NI & Tax if I don't earn anything? I might have one job a month until I get bookings
    2) Is there any links on how to work out what I would have to pay in Tax & NI with me already working FT?
    3) How do I register with HMRC?
    4) What records would I need to keep?
    5) I am in the process of purchasing a new computer, can I claim anything back on this?

    Sorry for all the questions.
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 10th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 7,296 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    Call HMRC. I'm self employed and always find them helpful.

    1) If you don't earn anything, you can't pay tax and NI.
    2). Any tax paid depends on profits, not earnings. Your earnings are your gross income. (eg 5000 for some portraits) minus business expenses (insurances, photographic equipment purchases, fuel, accountancy fees etc). This may end up at 3000 so you will only pay tax / NI on the 3k.
    3) Just ring HMRC and they will register you.
    4) Keep all records of expenditure that is or you may think may be relevant to your business eg fuel and car running costs, mobile
    phone, advertising, stamps, stationary, filing cabinets, shelving, SD Cards, printers, printer ink, cameras, Laptop etc etc.
    5) Yes

    My best advice would be see an accountant. they wont charge anything for an initial consultation and their fees will only be a couple of hundred pounds a year and it will be money well invested.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,342 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    Well done for thinking ahead.

    Yes, go and speak to an accountant. In fact, go and speak to 2 or 3. Most will give you 1/2 an hour of their time for free - so decide what you want to ask them, and go for it. Once you've spoken to the first one, more questions will come to mind based on what they've said - so you go to the 2nd one, and get another 30 minutes of expert advice. And so on. And while you're at it you'll decide which one is the one for you.

    And don't be afraid to ask how much they will charge you. When we first started, our accountant quoted a fixed fee for the first year, regardless of how many times I rang them with stupid questions - I found this to be an absolute godsend.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 11th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,612 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    Quite a lot of the questions you ask are answered in the mystery shopping thread, which is a sticky (I think!) in the 'up your income' section of this forum.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of

    The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 16,835 Posts
    • 8,784 Thanks
    • #5
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • #5
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    An accoutant will be a great help initially.

    Put 20% of anything you earn into a savings account. It will pay your tax bill at the end the year.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,101Posts Today

7,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin