Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access 6th Mar 17 at 4:10 PM

Hi folks

We've written a new Cheap Airport Lounge Access guide and would love your feedback on your top lounges as well as any other tips you've got to get in free or cheaply. The lounges to avoid would also be helpful!

Thank you

MSE Sally
Page 9
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 15th Oct 18, 11:22 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    bradders1983
    They are not really lounges like the posh ones at major airports. The last time I used them we went into one, it was full so the nice lady took us down a corridor to another, that was full so we went further & eventually found one that had two seats available. It was so crowded & noisy that we didn't stay long.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Not my experience of the Manchester ones, last time I was there (early morning on an August weekday) it was dead. You must have got unlucky.

A week on Saturday I shall be using the one at Doncaster/Sheffield Airport, shall report back.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 15th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    stevie11
    They are not really lounges like the posh ones at major airports. The last time I used them we went into one, it was full so the nice lady took us down a corridor to another, that was full so we went further & eventually found one that had two seats available. It was so crowded & noisy that we didn't stay long.
    I can sort of agree with this comment. The smaller privately run lounges like to be at higher capacity which means they are generating more income. There are always going to be quiet and busy times but the busier they are means more money.

I do like the idea of Priority Pass introducing a credit at airport bars/restuarants, it makes a change from sitting in a lounge with a few curled up sandwiches.

Whereas the airline based lounges access is usually based on airline status, of course there will also be quiet and busy times but I have found the major airport lounges (Oneworld lounges) to be far superior in the main compared to equivelant private lounges with regards to facilities and food & drink offerings and also comfort and service. In one way the airline lounges especially first class have to maintain high standards to keep pax continiuing to fly with that airline as it can be a major perk of the status.
    • pingu
    • By pingu 20th Oct 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    pingu
    Do you get them free with RBS or do you have to pay a monthly fee with your bank to get that ?
    Originally posted by darren72
    yes monthly fee
    but they are slowly taking usefull benefits away for me anyway so i might be upgrading my halifax account soon
    used to get decent flight/holidays deals with rbs and lounge included
    now its 2 per year(might as well get american express every year)
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
    • pingu
    • By pingu 20th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    pingu
    i see what you mean but booking posh cost a lot and i am not posh or rich
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
    • Emilybutt12
    • By Emilybutt12 10th Nov 18, 4:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emilybutt12
    Access time
    Hi all,

This may have been asked before but does anyone know whether the airport lounge asks for a boarding pass for access? We fly at 1pm, and to make the most of our 3 hour access I am booking the lounge access to say that my flight is a 12pm which means we can get access from 9am and use it for the full 3 hours as we would have to leave at 12pm to get onto our plane. But will we get to the reception and be asked for our boarding pass which will obvously say 1pm flight and then not be allowed access until 10am. I hope this makes sense.

It is my husband, son and my husbands elderly parents travelling so we want to give ourselves plenty of time to check in, relax and then get on the flight.

Thanks
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Nov 18, 6:23 PM
    • 17,874 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    motorguy
    Not my experience of the Manchester ones, last time I was there (early morning on an August weekday) it was dead. You must have got unlucky.

A week on Saturday I shall be using the one at Doncaster/Sheffield Airport, shall report back.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    It varies depending on time of year and day of the week.

Over the summer months the Manchester Lounges can be full at times, not so much away from peak times and during winter schedule.

I'm in the Escape Lounge most Thursday evenings.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Nov 18, 6:24 PM
    • 17,874 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    motorguy
    Hi all,

This may have been asked before but does anyone know whether the airport lounge asks for a boarding pass for access? We fly at 1pm, and to make the most of our 3 hour access I am booking the lounge access to say that my flight is a 12pm which means we can get access from 9am and use it for the full 3 hours as we would have to leave at 12pm to get onto our plane. But will we get to the reception and be asked for our boarding pass which will obvously say 1pm flight and then not be allowed access until 10am. I hope this makes sense.

It is my husband, son and my husbands elderly parents travelling so we want to give ourselves plenty of time to check in, relax and then get on the flight.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Emilybutt12
    They generally do ask for your boarding pass, but i think its generally for name confirmation. At busy times they may be more sticky than at slack times.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 17,874 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    motorguy
    i quite like lounges at Manchester airport aspire are better than escape
    if i book with my bank RBS get it free otherwise under£20 well worth
    RBS limiting 2visits per year soon
    Originally posted by pingu
    Funnily as a frequent flyer its the Escape Lounge I would go to every week not Aspire. Better range of hot foods, easier to get drinks (beers and soft drinks are self serve) and IMHO the staff are friendlier.
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 12th Nov 18, 10:49 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    Whereas the airline based lounges access is usually based on airline status, of course there will also be quiet and busy times but I have found the major airport lounges (Oneworld lounges) to be far superior in the main compared to equivelant private lounges with regards to facilities and food & drink offerings
    Originally posted by stevie11
    Would 100% agree on this, based on pay-per-visit lounges in Dublin and Manchester vs. airline lounges in Heathrow, Vancouver, Brisbane, San Francisco and Seattle. The worst of those airline lounges (in my opinion, the United business lounge at San Francisco) was probably on a par with the pay-per-visit lounges. Some of the others are vastly, vastly better.

For example, the United and Virgin lounges at Heathrow are both in a different league. Table service food, extensive bars, haircuts and massages...
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 15th Nov 18, 8:05 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    bradders1983

Originally posted by bradders1983
    As promised:

Only two flights departing that afternoon (mine and a Jersey one which was almost ready to board) so the airport was quiet, therefore the lounge was too.

Cant fault it at all. Hot food topped up constantly (pizza was fantastic) and you could also order a made to order hot dish, I had the fish finger sandwich which wasnt made with cheap looking ones at all.

Waitress service for anything alcoholic, only downside was the draught Heineken was off as someone had turned the cooler off, everything else was on optics and in bottles but this was fine and plenty of other things to go at.

Will 100% use it again
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 15th Nov 18, 3:29 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    If you dont have Virgin Atlantic Gold or similar (takes approx 20 premium class flights) then the annual Dragon Pass is the best option. I wouldn't bother with paying for no.1 Lounge or similar they are not worth it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,537Posts Today

8,808Users online

Martin's Twitter