Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access 6th Mar 17 at 4:10 PM

Hi folks

We've written a new Cheap Airport Lounge Access guide and would love your feedback on your top lounges as well as any other tips you've got to get in free or cheaply. The lounges to avoid would also be helpful!

Thank you

MSE Sally
Page 8
    • taxonomy
    • By taxonomy 31st Jul 18, 7:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    taxonomy
    Airport Lounge
    Have just been looking at airport lounges. My question is...how long before my flight, can I check in my hold baggage? Do I have to wait to check it in...when Easy Jet open the flight? Given that you are allowed a certain amount of time to use an airport lounge, I'm after value for money. The past couple of years I've travelled from Manchester, I've turned up at the airport at least two hours prior to my flight. It does sound like a lot of time, but I've really only had around 35 - 40 minutes before I've had to go to boarding....at £26 per person, I'd say that maybe it isn't really value for money? Any info really appreciated
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 31st Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    stevie11
    From experience if the check-in desk opens 3 hours before departure, that means you should just get 2 hours in a lounge before getting to your gate. I suppose timings will depend on the airport departing and how busy getting through security etc.
    • taxonomy
    • By taxonomy 31st Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    taxonomy
    Two hours is fine and thanks for the info
    • Alan Sheppard
    • By Alan Sheppard 2nd Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alan Sheppard
    I recently used no1 lounge at Gatwick and having used it before expected the usual service
    I asked for 2 bacon rolls and was told I could only have 1 previously the put them out and you could take what you wanted I think 1 bacon roll is pretty poor for £40 I could have got much better value in a restaurant
    I do not know if this a new policy but certainly not worth using this lounge again
    • mo.m
    • By mo.m 4th Aug 18, 4:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mo.m
    Gatwick No 1 lounge
    We had an embarrassing situation when trying to access this lounge with friends when going on holiday recently, my husband (a Barclays customer) was told he had no visits left on his card. After over an hour on the phone to Barclays and Dragon card he was told that he had used his 6 visits last summer and the card didn't renew until August , which isn't much use if you are travelling in July! We saw other people with Dragon cards turned away, presumably for the same reason. Surely a card like this should run January to December ?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 21,208 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We had an embarrassing situation when trying to access this lounge with friends when going on holiday recently, my husband (a Barclays customer) was told he had no visits left on his card. After over an hour on the phone to Barclays and Dragon card he was told that he had used his 6 visits last summer and the card didn't renew until August , which isn't much use if you are travelling in July! We saw other people with Dragon cards turned away, presumably for the same reason. Surely a card like this should run January to December ?
    Originally posted by mo.m
    What difference does it make? The phone or tablet app shows you how many visits you have left and, if you need more, it takes about a minute to add them. No need for embarrassment.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • wozmand
    • By wozmand 5th Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wozmand
    Hi there

Is anyone aware of any discounts/ways to get the lounges at Manchester Aiport cheaper?

Thanks
    Mark.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 5th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I really wouldn't bother at Manchester.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • nairny54
    • By nairny54 5th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 5,892 Thanks
    nairny54
    Hi there

Is anyone aware of any discounts/ways to get the lounges at Manchester Aiport cheaper?

Thanks
    Mark.
    Originally posted by wozmand

Hi Mark you could try vouchercloud they normally give a code for approx 10% off

HTH
    • mo.m
    • By mo.m 6th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mo.m
    dragon pass problem
    Firstly we had never been told that there was an app. Even when my husband was on the phone to Barclays and Dragon Pass neither suggested that he could use the app to solve the problem (and would have saved the long phone call!). Secondly, it does matter when the card renews, without saying on the card what the renewal date is, as you end up paying for extra visits, but lose the ones you are entitled to ! We will probably lose the 2018/19 visits, which is not good value in our opinion.
    • d00fus
    • By d00fus 23rd Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    d00fus
    Priority Pass are upping their visit charges to £20 from 18/9/2018, makes the others (Dragon Pass, Lounge Club) quite a better deal.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 23rd Aug 18, 3:56 PM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    gardner1
    Firstly we had never been told that there was an app. Even when my husband was on the phone to Barclays and Dragon Pass neither suggested that he could use the app to solve the problem (and would have saved the long phone call!). Secondly, it does matter when the card renews, without saying on the card what the renewal date is, as you end up paying for extra visits, but lose the ones you are entitled to ! We will probably lose the 2018/19 visits, which is not good value in our opinion.
    But if you joined Barclaycard in August a few years ago you wouldn't expect your first years lounge access to expire after 5 months
    We alternate the amex cards for lounge access and you get 2 free lounge visits per 12 months...... starting on whatever date you join
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 24th Aug 18, 8:50 AM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 21,208 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Did you read the Terms and Conditions relevant to airport lounge access? They refer to the app several times...

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • JadieH
    • By JadieH 2nd Sep 18, 3:46 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    JadieH
    I never knew about the dragonpass with Barclays. I currently have the Travel pack on my account but not the travel plus, anyone have any idea how quickly I'd get the pass? I could contact Barclays asap to change my pack but I fly in just over two weeks?

Thanks
    • Bobby Wader
    • By Bobby Wader 3rd Sep 18, 2:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Bobby Wader
    I have recently booked my airport parking with BookFHR and I noticed that you could book airport lounges through them too. I always thought lounges were for individual airlines or through banks (never considered that anyone can book one). When I looked into it, there are quite reasonable deals around, especially if you like to have a drink and a snack at the airport. Working it out, the lounges seems to be good value if you are flying around lunchtime or in the afternoon/evening. Not sure you get much value if you are flying in the morning (unless you like alcohol at the crack of dawn!).

We loved the look of the new clubrooms from no1 at Gatwick, so decided to treat ourselves for our holiday in October :-) I managed to get an extra 10% off the online price at https://www.bookfhr.com/airport-lounges/gatwick-airport-lounges/ by signing up to FHR's email. Fingers crossed the lounge experience will make our holiday extra special!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Sep 18, 5:09 PM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 21,208 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I never knew about the dragonpass with Barclays. I currently have the Travel pack on my account but not the travel plus, anyone have any idea how quickly I'd get the pass? I could contact Barclays asap to change my pack but I fly in just over two weeks?

Thanks
    Originally posted by JadieH
    It is pretty much instant. There is no paperwork. You just need to download an app and register by phone.

Not sure what you do if you don't have a smartphone or tablet though.
    • pingu
    • By pingu 14th Oct 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    pingu
    i quite like lounges at Manchester airport aspire are better than escape
    if i book with my bank RBS get it free otherwise under£20 well worth
    RBS limiting 2visits per year soon
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
    • pingu
    • By pingu 14th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    pingu
    I really wouldn't bother at Manchester.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    why not whats wrong with them
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
    • darren72
    • By darren72 14th Oct 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    darren72
    i quite like lounges at Manchester airport aspire are better than escape
    if i book with my bank RBS get it free otherwise under£20 well worth
    RBS limiting 2visits per year soon
    Originally posted by pingu
    Do you get them free with RBS or do you have to pay a monthly fee with your bank to get that ?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th Oct 18, 8:32 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    EssexExile
    why not whats wrong with them
    Originally posted by pingu
    They are not really lounges like the posh ones at major airports. The last time I used them we went into one, it was full so the nice lady took us down a corridor to another, that was full so we went further & eventually found one that had two seats available. It was so crowded & noisy that we didn't stay long.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,321Posts Today

7,594Users online

Martin's Twitter