Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access 6th Mar 17 at 4:10 PM

Hi folks

We've written a new Cheap Airport Lounge Access guide and would love your feedback on your top lounges as well as any other tips you've got to get in free or cheaply. The lounges to avoid would also be helpful!

Thank you

MSE Sally
Page 7
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 6th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    hi

was wondering if there any deals-discount codes for either the no1 lounge or the aspire lounge in edinburgh ? we are flying out next month so any deals-discounts
    would be would be much appreciated (anything to save some money me !!!)

thanks in advance
    Last edited by bobbyhibs; 06-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    • Shikakui
    • By Shikakui 11th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Shikakui
    Thank you very much!
    I have found the tips very useful!
    • imbigron
    • By imbigron 1st May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    imbigron
    Priority Pass automatic renewal
    I joined Priority Pass nearly a year ago, as I travel a lot and it has proved very useful, particularly on long stopovers and flight delays. I was surprised today to receive a membership renewal for another year, as I hadn't yet decided what to do.

I rang them to ask how they had been able to automatically renew my membership as I hadn't knowingly authorised this, and could find nowhere in any correspondence from them or on their website that this would happen. The Customer Service advisor was unable to say where it was on the website, except hidden away as Point 24, in their Conditions of Use. I don't know about you, but I don't really look at things like that, but expect a company to at least give me notification if they are going to automatically renew something.

I agree that it is my fault for not reading that, but feel it is pretty sly of them not to mention it anywhere else. Apparently on signing up it is mentioned then, but at no other time. It also curiously states that to renew membership you need to speak to a Customer Service advisor, which is blatantly untrue, as membership renews automatically. I assume that what they are doing is legal, but I find it very unethical.
    Last edited by imbigron; 01-05-2018 at 2:27 PM.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 1st May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 3,179 Thanks
    stoneman
    I joined Priority Pass nearly a year ago, as I travel a lot and it has proved very useful, particularly on long stopovers and flight delays. I was surprised today to receive a membership renewal for another year, as I hadn't yet decided what to do.

I rang them to ask how they had been able to automatically renew my membership as I hadn't knowingly authorised this, and could find nowhere in any correspondence from them or on their website that this would happen. The Customer Service advisor was unable to say where it was on the website, except hidden away as Point 24, in their Conditions of Use. I don't know about you, but I don't really look at things like that, but expect a company to at least give me notification if they are going to automatically renew something.

I agree that it is my fault for not reading that, but feel it is pretty sly of them not to mention it anywhere else. Apparently on signing up it is mentioned then, but at no other time. It also curiously states that to renew membership you need to speak to a Customer Service advisor, which is blatantly untrue, as membership renews automatically. I assume that what they are doing is legal, but I find it very unethical.
    Originally posted by imbigron
    Just insiste they cancel it, simples
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • ThriftIsAVirtue
    • By ThriftIsAVirtue 8th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThriftIsAVirtue
    Booked via MSE, I think this would have been eligible, too. In case it is, just type my name in (Daniel Richards) to get the recommendation discount of £7.50 off any booking.

(They'll give me £7.50, too, FYI but I don't fly that often to be bothered)
    good luck!
    • Stoute8081
    • By Stoute8081 8th May 18, 10:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stoute8081
    Iíve just posted this over on Hotdeals UK.

Hi - first ever deal submission so go easy and I hope this helps others.

So we go only holiday abroad a few times a year and like to enjoy the airport lounges when we can having a couple of kids in tow, security lane express passes are also becoming our new best friend!

We have gained access to these lounges in the past through credit card offers, or packaged bank accounts etc. Most of these either have an annual fee that kicks in after an initial offer period, or a monthly charge.

The Caxton FX card offers you the ability to book No.1 Lounges (not checked if it applies to any others) at discounted rates of up to 45% consistently. The discount rates do vary on location but we mainly fly from Birmingham. Note the discount rates need to be booked through the Caxton website on the following link no1lounges.com/caxtonfx and apply when you advance book your stay. They also offer complimentary premium security + access usually worth about £5 per person (apart from Heathrow).

If you do have kids yourself the discount rate does not apply to their bookings which are reduced from an adult price already.

In order to get the card you need to apply for an account, preload it with £10 and then they send you out your card. I spoke with them this morning and there is no annual charge for the card or dormancy fees if the card has no credit or is not used for long periods. Who knows if they will change this in future.

To apply:

- Go to the above link
    - Click on 'Get your card'
    - Complete form.

If you want to learn more for yourself about the lounge access click in the link in the text above or on the main site, click on currency cards and then extras and promotions.

Once the card is in hand theoretically you will be able to use this year on year to get discounted booking to the lounge without needing a packaged bank account or offer from a CC company.

I have yet to receive my card having applied today (which also required providing bank statement and drivers licence to verify identity) and according to the adviser, payment can be taken for the lounges from a credit card of my choosing and not CaxtonFx card.
    We will be going away again in the next couple of months so proof will be in the testing. If anyone has success before then - feel free to share.
    • ArKay
    • By ArKay 9th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ArKay
    No 1 Lounges
    They have an offer on at the moment but I would not be tempted. My brother and I (and our wives) used to use No. 1 and they are good if you get in, but in the last few years we have turned up to be told there was a 2 hour wait - by which time our plane would have flown anyway.

You can of course 'reserve' your place by paying another fee on top of your membership fee (depending who your membership came through) but we have personally stopped using No. 1 because of the extra charges.

Incidentally, if you want to ring No. 1, then their main number is an 0844 premium rate 40p / minute number. Again - leaves a bad taste as it feels like they just want your money.

I have been in contact No 1 in the last few days and today I had a comprehensive call with them explaining the problems. However, whilst friendly, they are unable (or unwilling?) to offer any compensation or even a single day pass as an apology for the past poor service. No reason why they should but I would like to have been able to tell you all that they are trying to improve their service. Sadly not the case and therefore not recommended
    Keep it simple
    • youngreekie
    • By youngreekie 9th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    youngreekie
    MSE have a code for. cheap No1 pass, expires tomorrows.
    • ArKay
    • By ArKay 9th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ArKay
    As above
    MSE have a code for. cheap No1 pass, expires tomorrows.
    Originally posted by youngreekie
    but see the message above before you buy. I would not recommend No. 1 lounges because you cannot always get in before your plane takes off.
    Keep it simple
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 12th May 18, 8:51 AM
    • 2,087 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    Ian011
    Incidentally, if you want to ring No. 1, then their main number is an 0844 premium rate 40p / minute number. Again - leaves a bad taste as it feels like they just want your money.
    Originally posted by ArKay
    The cost is up to 62p per minute. However, usage of 0844 numbers has been banned for almost four years, since June 2014. Once you have paid your annual subscription, an 084, 087 or 09 number cannot be offered for further communications. The number must start 01, 02, 03 or 080.
    • ArKay
    • By ArKay 12th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ArKay
    The cost is up to 62p per minute. However, usage of 0844 numbers has been banned for almost four years, since June 2014. Once you have paid your annual subscription, an 084, 087 or 09 number cannot be offered for further communications. The number must start 01, 02, 03 or 080.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    That's very interesting and I did not know this. I wonder how many others including No. 1 lounges know this?
    Keep it simple
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 13th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    I must be the only person on here who doesn't understand the obsession with getting into airport lounges.
    I used to have free access to the Aer Lingus lounge at LHR and while the booze was free and the seating more comfortable it was a terribly sterile place and certainly not worth paying for entry.
    I rather like the hustle and bustle theatricality of a busy airport and enjoy the people-watching which is a lot more interesting than the bored middle-management suits in the lounges.
    Along with priority boarding and Premium Economy paying for lounge access is a con practised on the travelling public.
    Stop being deluded.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 13th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 19,580 Posts
    • 45,363 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I must be the only person on here who doesn't understand the obsession with getting into airport lounges.
    I used to have free access to the Aer Lingus lounge at LHR and while the booze was free and the seating more comfortable it was a terribly sterile place and certainly not worth paying for entry.
    I rather like the hustle and bustle theatricality of a busy airport and enjoy the people-watching which is a lot more interesting than the bored middle-management suits in the lounges.
    Along with priority boarding and Premium Economy paying for lounge access is a con practised on the travelling public.
    Stop being deluded.
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    It does depend on the airport. Stansted is an absolute sh!thole of an airport to wait, I don't understand why they leave it so late to announce gates leaving thousands of people crammed in to one small, noisy, hot, smelly little departure lounge when there's ample, more comfortable seating areas on the gate spurs. Luton is the same, dreadful place.

I actively avoid both for leaving the UK, and will happily pay for a lounge just for a quite place to wait.

London City, Gatwick, Heathrow
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Stoute8081
    • By Stoute8081 15th May 18, 9:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stoute8081
    Hi - did you see my thread above. I rang Caxton yesterday ahead of using their link in a few weeks time and they confirmed that when I purchase at the discounted rate it includes reservations of space for when we arrive (FOC) and also fast lane security access (FOC).
    • Stoute8081
    • By Stoute8081 15th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stoute8081
    Hi - did you see my thread above. I rang Caxton yesterday ahead of using their link in a few weeks time and they confirmed that when I purchase at the discounted rate it includes reservations of space for when we arrive (FOC) and also fast lane security access (FOC).
    • QSHLuc
    • By QSHLuc 18th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    QSHLuc
    Qantas Lounge, Auckland
    Early flight check in for the long journey back to the UK. I somehow managed to lose our boarding passes and airport parking details (Heathrow) between check in and the departure lounge. I was directed to the Qantas lounge for help, the staff were very helpful, printed off our passes again and invited us into the lounge to wait for our flight. First time we'd been in a lounge, this is definitely the way to travel!
    • Carol B
    • By Carol B 18th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Carol B
    I have a dragon pass through my bank account. I was refused access into Escape T3 last month. I was informed that it only gave access if there was any availability in the lounge. I asked about booking in advance , The reply was no. The Dragon Pass is based on availability on the day no advance bookings. Makes you wonder if itís worth paying extra on your account. On another occasion I was travelling Business class on United from LA to Hawaii ( 9 hour flight) . I was refused access to the business lounge as it was only available for international passengers ! 9 hours to Hawaii is internal but 7 hours Boston to Manchester qualifies.
    I will never travel United again.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 11,374 Posts
    • 7,458 Thanks
    Caz3121
    On another occasion I was travelling Business class on United from LA to Hawaii ( 9 hour flight) . I was refused access to the business lounge as it was only available for international passengers ! 9 hours to Hawaii is internal but 7 hours Boston to Manchester qualifies.
    Originally posted by Carol B
    when I have flown LAX to Hawaii it has been less than 6 hours
    US carriers not giving lounge access on domestic flights is not unique to UA
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 19th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    I have a dragon pass through my bank account. I was refused access into Escape T3 last month. I was informed that it only gave access if there was any availability in the lounge. I asked about booking in advance , The reply was no. The Dragon Pass is based on availability on the day no advance bookings. Makes you wonder if it!!!8217;s worth paying extra on your account. On another occasion I was travelling Business class on United from LA to Hawaii ( 9 hour flight) . I was refused access to the business lounge as it was only available for international passengers ! 9 hours to Hawaii is internal but 7 hours Boston to Manchester qualifies.
    Originally posted by Carol B
    Dragonpass (and others) are always subject to availability.

I've only ever noticed problems using Dragonpass in the UK as the lounges are always full and booked out.

You can pay No1 Lounges a £5 booking fee to guarantee you a spot with your Dragonpass which I usually do flying out of Heathrow or Gatwick. Unfortunately they are not at all airports (I'm guessing this is Manchester?).

Never had any problems redeeming Dragonpass abroad where the lounges are usually quiet and empty.

Regarding UA not given you lounge access on a domestic flight. I'm not aware of any airline in the US that would give you lounge access on a domestic flight. The only exception is some airlines will give you access if you are flying New York to San Francisco (and vice versa).

You'd need to have status within their frequent flier scheme when flying domestic or be flying international.

Also as previously mentioned the flight time between LAX and Hawaii is around 5 hours 45mins.
    • Thomas48
    • By Thomas48 20th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Thomas48
    If you know an airport employee, they can get discounted lounge passes for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,697Posts Today

8,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin