Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • digp
    • By digp 4th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,964Posts
    • 299Thanks
    digp
    Vpn
    • 4th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    Vpn 4th Mar 17 at 7:39 PM
    This thread is for VPN recommendations/reviews please. There's a lot of rubbish and lies out there.

I'll post some reviews soon. Others could chip in, in the mean time.

Thanks.
Page 8
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 19, 11:10 AM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    AndyPix
    No I haven't considered ignoring it - have you ?

And yes , VPN's are of course a relevant point of discussion, however spamming the forum with thinly veiled spam adverts is not.
    If no body points this out then other reading it might think it is a genuine recommendation where in reality it is nothing more than affiliate promoting.

I shouldn't have to explain this
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Jun 19, 11:41 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    d123
    No I haven't considered ignoring it - have you ?
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Why would I, I’m happy to read a thread about VPNs

And yes , VPN's are of course a relevant point of discussion, however spamming the forum with thinly veiled spam adverts is not.
    If no body points this out then other reading it might think it is a genuine recommendation where in reality it is nothing more than affiliate promoting.

I shouldn't have to explain this
    No, but you should stop complaining and squealing like a child for the mods to lock or delete the thread.
    ====
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 19, 1:24 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Why would I, Iím happy to read a thread about VPNs.
    Originally posted by d123

Well you would be reading a thread of complete spammy garbage if people didnt keep reporting and calling out the spammers

No, but you should stop complaining and squealing like a child for the mods to lock or delete the thread.

If no one pointed out and complained about the spam then the forum would be riddled with it. If you dont have anything useful to add then what are you doing here ?

Just to be clear - I will complain till im blue in the face about the obvious troling spam that this thread seems to attract - if you dont like it, tough.

Lots of posters that visit here arent very technical so would be easy targets for the fake recommendations such as keep apprearing here - maybe you wouldnt - good for you, but that doesnt mean others shoul not be forwarned

and also, it takes much more than silly argumentative posters like you to make me "squeal like a child" .. please grow up a bit.

Im done with you now but i excpect you will have to have the last word, so over to you
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Jun 19, 3:11 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    d123
    Well you would be reading a thread of complete spammy garbage if people didnt keep reporting and calling out the spammers

If no one pointed out and complained about the spam then the forum would be riddled with it. If you dont have anything useful to add then what are you doing here ?

Just to be clear - I will complain till im blue in the face about the obvious troling spam that this thread seems to attract - if you dont like it, tough.

Lots of posters that visit here arent very technical so would be easy targets for the fake recommendations such as keep apprearing here - maybe you wouldnt - good for you, but that doesnt mean others shoul not be forwarned

and also, it takes much more than silly argumentative posters like you to make me "squeal like a child" .. please grow up a bit.

Im done with you now but i excpect you will have to have the last word, so over to you
    Reporting the spam is done by pressing the button or using !Report, not making more than five posts in a thread just to whinge about spam and begging for the “mods” (who don’t actually exist on this forum) to lock or delete the thread.

What have you actually contributed to this thread with all your posts?
    ====
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Jun 19, 3:30 PM
    • 7,902 Posts
    • 7,708 Thanks
    DoaM
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 19, 3:55 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Reporting the spam is done by pressing the button or using !Report, ?
    Yes, i know - i did that too

not making more than five posts in a thread just to whinge about spam and begging for the ďmodsĒ (who donít actually exist on this forum) to lock or delete the thread.
    ?

The five posts were in reply to spam posts that have now been removed - warning the more naieve(sp) that they are not to be trusted , not sure how you're not understanding this

No one is "whinging" except you and no one is "begging" anyone .. (however board guides do exist - see the bottom of the thread list)
    What have you actually contributed to this thread with all your posts?

As i have already explained , I have replied to fake recommendation posts, pointing out that they are in fact fake .. This really seems to have touched a nerve with you , i wonder why

What have you contributed ?
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Jun 19, 7:53 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    d123
    Yes, i know - i did that too

The five posts were in reply to spam posts that have now been removed - warning the more naieve(sp) that they are not to be trusted , not sure how you're not understanding this

No one is "whinging" except you and no one is "begging" anyone .. (however board guides do exist - see the bottom of the thread list)

As i have already explained , I have replied to fake recommendation posts, pointing out that they are in fact fake .. This really seems to have touched a nerve with you , i wonder why

Why respond to the spam with a separate post when you know they are going to be deleted by the board guides?

What have you contributed ?
    Nothing yet, because the thread is a mess of whinging and complaining.

Would you like to know about my lifetime VPN I bought for less than £20?
    ====
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 13th Jun 19, 5:15 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Gillor
    Would you like to know about my lifetime VPN I bought for less than £20?
    Yes please.

And some information about your experience such as any speed reduction, the keeping of logs, DNS leak protection, number and location of servers etc. that might be useful to a potential user.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 13th Jun 19, 9:37 AM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 2,070 Thanks
    RumRat

And so it goes on.....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    d123
    Yes please.

And some information about your experience such as any speed reduction, the keeping of logs, DNS leak protection, number and location of servers etc. that might be useful to a potential user.
    Originally posted by Gillor
    Itís FastestVPN, $24.99 for 5 devices, signed up via StackExchange.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/fastestvpn-lifetime-subscription

They are based in the Caymans and claim no logs kept. A good list of servers as well.

In today's age of hackers and spies, it's absolutely essential to protect your browsing activity by using a VPN. FastestVPN offers a smart, easy-to-use service for all devices including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Smart TV and your router. As the name implies, this high-powered VPN operates with 99.9% uptime and gives you access to more than 200 high-speed servers around the globe. Plus, with a NAT firewall, ad blocker, anti-malware software, and a strict no logging policy, FastestVPN is extremely committed to your online security.

P2P optimized servers let you download & stream HD video w/ zero buffering and complete anonymity
    Utilizes military-grade 256-bit AES encryption on all of its 200+ servers
    Unlimited server switches and bandwidth
    NAT firewall provides an additional layer of protection
    Malware protection ensures the sites you visit are safe to access
    Ad blocker prevents unfavorable ads from popping up on your screen
    Internet kill switch protects your IP from being exposed if your connection drops
    No logging policy guarantees nobody will ever have your private information
    Bypass geo-restrictions & unlock any site you want
    Use on 5 different devices at once
    Reviews

TenBestVPNs: "FastestVPN is one of the most promising VPN services in the market."

System Requirements

Windows
    Android
    Mac
    Router
    iOS
    Kodi
    PS4
    Xbox
    Roku
    Raspberry Pi
    Apple TV
    OpenELEC
    Kindle
    Important Details

Redemption: must redeem within 30 days of purchase
    Length of access: lifetime
    Restrictions: up to 5 simultaneous connections
    200+ servers in 27+ countries
    Unlimited bandwidth
    256-bit AES encryption
    Zero logging
    Ad blocker
    NAT firewall
    Anti-malware
    24/7 technical support
    Unlimited server switches
    Internet kill switch
    https://fastestvpn.com/server-locations
    ====
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    d123
    Hereís a Speedtest, Iím currently connected to a Virgin media connection (50Mbps/3Mbps) and connecting to the NJ USA server.

====
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 13th Jun 19, 4:27 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Gillor
    @d123

Thanks for the info on FastestVPN. Apart from some dispute as to how many servers they actually operate and doubts about the responsiveness of their customer service it certainly seems to have had half decent reviews for a relatively new operation.

Looks great for torrenting/streaming but on the downside it may not be compatible with BBC iPlayer. Itís reported not to work with Netflix and therefore I assume it to be the same with any geo-locked content.

And some reviews mention lack of TOR support, problematic for me but not many others I suspect.

Currently, Iím using AirVPN and although it is generally reckoned to be one of the more secure VPNs and great for torrenting itís interface is pretty archaic and setting it up on an Android box is not for beginners.

But Iíll keep FastestVPN in mind particularly in view of the special offers doing the rounds at the moment.
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 19, 4:57 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    d123
    @d123

Thanks for the info on FastestVPN. Apart from some dispute as to how many servers they actually operate and doubts about the responsiveness of their customer service it certainly seems to have had half decent reviews for a relatively new operation.

Looks great for torrenting/streaming but on the downside it may not be compatible with BBC iPlayer. Itís reported not to work with Netflix and therefore I assume it to be the same with any geo-locked content.

And some reviews mention lack of TOR support, problematic for me but not many others I suspect.

Currently, Iím using AirVPN and although it is generally reckoned to be one of the more secure VPNs and great for torrenting itís interface is pretty archaic and setting it up on an Android box is not for beginners.

But Iíll keep FastestVPN in mind particularly in view of the special offers doing the rounds at the moment.
    Originally posted by Gillor
    I canít help on much of what youíve said, but with regard to customer service, the app stopped working over a weekend recently and I had almost no wait for an agent and was immediately pointed to a ďhow toĒ to set up the vpn manually on my iPad.
    ====
    • rricaresad33
    • By rricaresad33 19th Jun 19, 7:00 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rricaresad33
    I'm thinking to get nodvpn because they're based in Panama and it seems to me the most reliable also they have good other features, although it's not the fastest one and I can't stand slow internet. So I'm little bit confused now.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 19th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Just looked on the iPhone App Store and FastestVPN has only four reviews and all give it only 1 star. It might be new, but that’s not looking good.
    • d123
    • By d123 19th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    d123
    Just looked on the iPhone App Store and FastestVPN has only four reviews and all give it only 1 star. It might be new, but that’s not looking good.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    It’s been working fine for me, mostly on iPad but I have also tested it on my Android phone. I’ve also used Betternet, Aloha, TunnelBear, Proton and Turbo VPN recently and it’s at least as good, and faster than most of them.

Works exactly as expected.
    Last edited by d123; 19-06-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    ====
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 25th Jun 19, 3:58 PM
    • 6,110 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Two pieces of software create more spam than any other. VPN & 3rd party AV yet 99.99999% of people don't need either. £££££££££££££££
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 25th Jun 19, 6:08 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    Two pieces of software create more spam than any other. VPN & 3rd party AV yet 99.99999% of people don't need either. £££££££££££££££
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac

So only 1000 do.
    I don't Adam and Eve it!
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 25th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Gillor
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Someone been studying at the Diane Abbott School of Statistics?
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 25th Jun 19, 7:39 PM
    • 6,110 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Feel free to provide more accurate stats
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,129Posts Today

7,592Users online

Martin's Twitter