Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • digp
    • By digp 4th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,956Posts
    • 299Thanks
    digp
    Vpn
    • 4th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    Vpn 4th Mar 17 at 8:39 PM
    This thread is for VPN recommendations/reviews please. There's a lot of rubbish and lies out there.

I'll post some reviews soon. Others could chip in, in the mean time.

Thanks.
Page 5
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 25th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    treboeth
    World's most popular spam supplied by you
    Originally posted by Aijazahamaed
    reported spammer
    • clayvligon
    • By clayvligon 9th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    clayvligon
    I have been using NordVPN now and before that I was using IPVanish. World of difference between the two as IPVansih started leaking my ip address and dns protection was not worthless. I read the review on best vpn providers and it helped me made the choice. Nice article to read as its very detailed.
    Source: vpnranks.com/best-vpn/
    • steviebuk
    • By steviebuk 28th May 18, 3:51 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    steviebuk
    Using AirVPN. Simple and good value. Used them one weekend for 1 to trial it out while at a hotel. Was good enough paid for a year. They have DNS and IP Leak protection.
    • EmmaParker
    • By EmmaParker 7th Jun 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    EmmaParker
    Does VPN help you in anonymous surfing
    Hi, I'm a VPN user and I use VPN to hide myself. I was a cyberstalking victim and I have faced trouble due to this. I'm not sure is VPN can keep me anonymous on internet, I go through this blog which helps me alot but I'm still looking for extra information on how I can keep myself anonymous.

Few people recommend to use fake names, but if I do, how can i connect with my family, friends and colleagues?
    • that
    • By that 7th Jun 18, 7:04 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    that
    Few people recommend to use fake names, but if I do, how can i connect with my family, friends and colleagues?
    Originally posted by EmmaParker
    You tell them your fake name. I hope your real name is not EmmaParker, and this is a troll post, as this makes it easier for people to find you, stalk you, harder to get advice if your job sucks etc, and a gold mine for future employers.

Also do not use the same moniker on each site, as this will often leave a viewable trail, and in a few years you may think, do and say different things than you currently do now. We all evolve. People (potential employers) will for a picture of you how you were then.

If you need an ID, try this https://www.fakeaddressgenerator.com/World/uk_address_generator.

No matter how secret you make your web connection, You cant expect it to remain private and confidential if you shout it to everyone who you really are and use your real photo for ID, as defeats the objects of anonymity, privacy, and security.

Oh, for full disclosure my real name is really 'that'. Just google me!
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Jun 18, 11:05 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 3,211 Thanks
    AndyPix
    1 post - 4 thanks .. none of them on that post ??

Call my cynical but I cant help thinking this user is about to name and link to the VPN she uses
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 8th Jun 18, 8:04 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Sicard
    I started using a vpn from my base in Malta linking up to the UK so I can watch British TV, it's called Tunnel Bear and it's only $5 per month if you pay for a year up-front https://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing

The only problem for me is it can't fool BBC's Iplayer or The Lottery.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • Donald_Silver
    • By Donald_Silver 22nd Jun 18, 3:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Donald_Silver
    You were not more specific about for which device, which platform, or which OS you need a VPN, I cannot give you any random name at all. But, What I can advice you is I can recommend you bestVPN.co where you can get any VPN. I am Using IPVanish and it works best on my PC. you can also check their unbiased reviews and guides before you go for any purchase.
    • that
    • By that 22nd Jun 18, 6:21 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    that
    I am Using IPVanish and it works best on my PC. you can also check their unbiased reviews and guides before you go for any purchase.
    Originally posted by Donald_Silver
    If you review yourself won't the reviews tent to be biased? An unbiased review https://nulltx.com/ipvanish-and-purevpn-keep-customer-logs-despite-claiming-otherwise/
    https://restoreprivacy.com/ipvanish-provides-logs-to-authorities/
    https://torrentfreak.com/ipvanish-no-logging-vpn-led-homeland-security-to-comcast-user-180505/

No point in being with them if they say they do not hold any data about customers, effectively lie to customers, then produce customer data.
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 17th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    VPNSecure: Lifetime Subscription $19.99

https://shop.brobible.com/sales/vpnsecure-lifetime-3?utm_source=brobible.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_ campaign=vpnsecure-lifetime-3&utm_term=scsf-294233&utm_content=a0x1a000003ni7z&scsonar=1

Appears to be a good deal. Have chatted to VPNs and offer is genuine but not available direct from their website .For new members only.
    I used it before switching to Nord (better pricing ) and had no problems.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 21st Jul 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I started using a vpn from my base in Malta linking up to the UK so I can watch British TV, it's called Tunnel Bear and it's only $5 per month if you pay for a year up-front https://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing

The only problem for me is it can't fool BBC's Iplayer or The Lottery.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    I just tried the updated CyberGhost iPhone app, set it to "UK Streaming" and tried the BBC iPlayer app... it worked!

The various VPN streaming services and TV sites play a cat and mouse game, what works today may not work next week. The TVPlayer app on a phone requires that you turn on the GPS to verify you are in the UK... hope the others don't think of that.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 21st Jul 18, 11:17 PM
    • 27,742 Posts
    • 11,248 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Hi, I'm a VPN user and I use VPN to hide myself. I was a cyberstalking victim and I have faced trouble due to this. I'm not sure is VPN can keep me anonymous on internet, I go through this blog which helps me alot but I'm still looking for extra information on how I can keep myself anonymous.

How is a VPN going to hide you when you post your real details on the internet?

My guess they didnt stalk you through your IP address, they found you because you post private information on public sites.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • HarryAzhar
    • By HarryAzhar 8th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    HarryAzhar
    Why don't you go for ExpressVPN with which I am completely satisfied myself and using it for 6 months, I was too having security concerns for my iPhone so my friend suggested me to use ExpressVPN.
    The security of the product is no doubt great which people like me and you always look for. People have fears that high security and great encryption means affecting the overall internet speed. But let me tell you I was quite amazed to see ExpressVPN as being the great security provider always shows only a minimal effect over internet speed while I stream online.
    I have gone through one of the finest reviews about expressvpn. It will help out many beginners to understand the service clearly. Source: https://www.criticthoughts.com/vpn/expressvpn-review/
    Last edited by HarryAzhar; 17-08-2018 at 1:11 PM.
    • prost
    • By prost 9th Aug 18, 3:30 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    prost
    Windscribe, the best free VPN. Unlike some (like Purevpn, Hidemyass & Hotspot Shield) they don't secretly track you. 15Gb/month free. Review https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windscribe-vpn,review-5255.html

After recent changes they are now one of the fastest VPNs & have a user-friendly add on for Firefox 57, Opera 37 & Chrome 39 (it's the easiest VPN I've ever used as they can be complicated). Works for iOS 9, Android 4.2.2, Linux, Amazon Fire tv, Kodi & Nvidia Shield.
    https://windscribe.com
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windscribe/

Free servers in USA, Canada, Hong Kong, UK & Europe.

The paid service is US$48/year or US$69 for life. (Bitcoin accepted.)

Windscribe's dedicated "Windflix" servers try to make U.S. and U.K. Netflix content accessible from anywhere.

VPNSecure is also one that won't track you secretly (as well as TunnelBear, Nord, PIA, ExpressVPN & Cyberghost). I read a review where is said that some of their servers are very slow but not the Netherlands one.
    Last edited by prost; 09-08-2018 at 9:44 PM.
    • J.Nehru
    • By J.Nehru 9th Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    J.Nehru
    I have used the top vpn services and only two vpn are the best. Ivacy vpn and express vpn.
    Check their websites
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 9th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    RumRat
    Hilarious....Everyone convinced that the VPN they use is the best.....Usually it's not....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Janet Dale
    • By Janet Dale 14th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Janet Dale
    I'm thinking of using a paid VPN service. I've read lots of online information and reports/reviews etc, and can only think it's got to be a good thing for protecting online financial transactions, and to stop companies targeting you with their products and services.
    Has anyone found that the paid services just don't work, or discovered using a VPN has a downside?
    Thanks
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 29th Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I'm thinking of using a paid VPN service. I've read lots of online information and reports/reviews etc, and can only think it's got to be a good thing for protecting online financial transactions, and to stop companies targeting you with their products and services.
    Has anyone found that the paid services just don't work, or discovered using a VPN has a downside?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Janet Dale
    The downside could be if you add it to your router. VPN servers, in my case NordVPN, get bogged down at peak times which slows you down. When the VPN is added to individual devices it's relatively easy to disconnect and reconnect it. But when added to a router so that all devices use it you have to disconnect and reconnect it through the admin interface which is a bit of a hassle.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 29th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    Anthorn

On its own a VPN won't protect you. It just makes it appear that you are somewhere else on a different server. But in conjunction with other software that doesn't track you or prevents tracking you can just about disappear. There is no need to change your name.

VPN: Make sure there is a no logging guarantee.

Web Browser: TorBrowser. Not installed: You just download it and run it either in a location on your computer or a USB Stick. One of the browsers used for the dark web. Warning: This browser itself is not illegal and it's not illegal to use it but what you do on the dark web could be.

Search Engine: DuckDuckGo which is a feature of TorBrowser or can be added to other browsers through an add-on. The search engine results note suspicious websites. Also the DuckDuckGo web browser for Android.

Email: Mailinator is disposable email probably only used once. Just make up a name @mailinator.com and then you can check it. The major drawback is if someone else picks the same name as you they can read the emails and of course if anyone knows your email address they can read your emails too. There are no passwords. Hence "disposable". Consider a web site asks for an email address to send you a file or link: Mailinator.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 29-08-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Last paragraph added
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 30th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 4,734 Thanks
    Johno100
    Just had an update for my IPVanish apps. Looks like they've added split tunnelling, just got to try and see if I can get it working with my Chromecast.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

9,126Users online

Martin's Twitter