Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DocTim
    • By DocTim 4th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DocTim
    Ford Ecoboost - engine failure
    • 4th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    Ford Ecoboost - engine failure 4th Mar 17 at 2:58 PM
    We bought my daughter a second-hand Ford Focus just over a year ago, with the new 1.0 Ecoboost 125 bhp engine. Bought it from a non-Ford car dealer. Found it was loosing coolant after buying it. The car dealer was useless but we found out there was a recall by Ford to fix a coolant degas pipe, that was likely to fail completely and destroy the engine. So the car was booked into the local Ford dealer about 9 months ago, the pipe replaced and the coolant loss fixed. Last week the engine failed - I suspect a blown head gasket.

The car is now just over 4 years old, so outside it's Ford warrenty. It's done about 50,000 miles, with a full service history (last two non-Ford). If it is a failed head gasket, then this would be related to the coolant loss - a design fault. We don't know how it was treated prior to my daughter getting it (e.g. if the previous owner let the coolant run very low).

My daughter's spoken to Ford, who said take it into the local dealer (we'll have to get it towed there) and pay for a diagnosis. Then they will consider it.

What do you think the chances are of Ford paying for the repair?
    If Ford refuse to cover the repair costs, it is worth pursueing this?

Thanks

Tim
Page 4
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 26th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    Tarambor
    This months recall seems to be to fit a coolant level sensor to 15,000 of them, as when they blow up the head can crack, oil squirts on the exhaust and the whole thing bursts into flames.
    Originally posted by facade
    Did you read that on your favourite scaremongering website? Clearly written by a journalist with zero mechanical knowledge.

Oh deary me. When heads crack it is usually between the water galleries or in the combustion chamber. It almost never ever results in oil being spewed anywhere.

Having owned a Rover SD1 V8 which used to spew a litre of oil a day out of the rocker covers onto the exhaust manifolds I can say with a fair amount of certainty that oil spewing onto the exhaust manifold isn't likely to result in anything more than a horrible smell and a bit of smoke.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 27th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Did you read that on your favourite scaremongering website? Clearly written by a journalist with zero mechanical knowledge. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that oil spewing onto the exhaust manifold isn't likely to result in anything more than a horrible smell and a bit of smoke.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    This is cut n paste from DVSA recall website:

For 1.6 Kuga, Focus, C-Max, Fiesta ST built between June 2010 and Dec 2014

Concern : THE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD MAY CRACK

Description : Localized overheating of the engine cylinder head may cause the cylinder head to crack.This may cause a pressurized oil leak which in extreme circumstances could result in a fire in the engine compartment.

Remedial Action : On affected vehicles Inspect engine and cooling system. Replace affected components and fit a Coolant Level Sensor along with associated software to provide and audible and visual warning to the driver.

So the recall is not for fire, it is the faulty design that means when low coolant events occur there is no warning and the engine cracks, leading to loss of power at speed and a very expensive repair.

Watch this space for the next very likely recall.... on 1.0 litre Ecoboosts. They also dont have the coolant level sensor and hundreds have cracked, and new cases are being reported every week.
    Peace.
    • facade
    • By facade 28th Jan 18, 6:24 AM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    facade

So the recall is not for fire
    Originally posted by TickersPlaysPop
    I beg to differ, Ford couldn't care less if the engine blows up out of warranty, but the possibility of fire (or panic when the car fills with smoke) when the car is filled with children could result in some hefty legal bills.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 2nd Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    I beg to differ, Ford couldn't care less if the engine blows up out of warranty, but the possibility of fire (or panic when the car fills with smoke) when the car is filled with children could result in some hefty legal bills.
    Originally posted by facade
    Ford beg to differ with you, Ford have been replacing 100's of engines out of warranty for free. Even over a year out of warranty.

The evidence is on the Facebook group...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare

You are right that that don't care, because often they try to make people pay around 4500 before backing down when they know that the victim knows about the Facebook page.
    Last edited by TickersPlaysPop; 02-02-2018 at 7:01 PM.
    Peace.
    • 11Mike
    • By 11Mike 2nd Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    11Mike
    Interesting comment and one which I am interested in as am currently considering buying a 1.0 ecoboost. What is the general consensus of how long they build them to last, in mileage terms?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    I have one, a Fiesta Black Edition so has the 140PS (138 BHP) variant, the engine and car is superb. If any car is looked after it will be fine not withstanding manufacturing defects, such as the coolant hose between 2010 and 2014 whch Ford have issued a recall on for the ‘degas’ hose,

Ford beg to differ with you, Ford have been replacing 100's of engines out of warranty for free. Even over a year out of warranty.

The evidence is on the Facebook group...

Link removed as I am not allowed to post them yet.

You are right that that don't care, because often they try to make people pay around 4500 before backing down when they know that the victim knows about the Facebook page.
    If Ford didn’t care they wouldn’t have replaced any out of warranty for free, they also wouldn’t have bothered with a recall. All major manufacturers have major issues and recalls at some point, look at the bonnet catch failure for the Mk2 Clio. That affected a hell of a lot more cars, and i’d guess Ford have sold more ecoboost engines than clios were in the same period. The fact that in the last 3-5 years both the Fiesta and Focus have been in the top 5 of new cars sold.

Other than car enthusiasts, how many people go on a website, such as google, to look for the answers to things with cars other than problems, i’d say not many. Most people tend to head to the search engines when a problem develops with anything, hence why the web is full of issues and not happy stories.

Even Whirlpool/Hotpoint/Indesit had a major recall on a drier. I’d be more concerned with that burning my house down than a coolant issue with my car.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 6th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    I have one, a Fiesta Black Edition so has the 140PS (138 BHP) variant, the engine and car is superb.
    Originally posted by 11Mike
    You probably haven't heard of the recent recall for approx 15,000 1.6 Ecoboost engines in Jan 2018? Since you have one I would very quickly look it up...

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

No need to thank me for doing Ford's job, but maybe they have suddenly started caring for their customers and you have received a letter by now?

The recall is due to risk of engine failure if coolant low, with potential for engine fire. Fix is to install a coolant level sensor, which is also not present on the 1.0 litre Ecoboost but the 1.0 litre have not been recalled despite almost exactly the same problems.

re your comment about the engine failures being less worrying than domestic appliance fires...

Consider a car, containing 2 young children under 5, that can suddenly and without warning lose all power on the motorway at 70 mph surrounded by other cars and lorries... if you survive that, how safe would you feel for yourself and your family stuck on the hard shoulder waiting for recovery... if in fact the motorway had one if it wasnt a 'smart motorway' .... appliance fires and engine failures both terrify me.
    Peace.
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 6th Feb 18, 10:36 PM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 15,428 Thanks
    tomstickland
    A comment on the HonestJohn form was that the 1.5 and 1.6 Ecoboost engines are based on the mid 90s 1.6 16v petrol engine which is proving to be really strong so is the preferable option.

Worth a try but I doubt Ford will pay for repair. You can get the head gasket replaced. Get a quote on a complete engine from here: http://engineengineering.co.uk/start/reconditioned-engines-rebuilt:298/ford-reconditioned-engines:330/ford-10l-ecoboost-engine-for-sale:2123/
    Happy chappy
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 7th Feb 18, 6:33 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    A comment on the HonestJohn form was that the 1.5 and 1.6 Ecoboost engines are based on the mid 90s 1.6 16v petrol engine which is proving to be really strong so is the preferable option.

Worth a try but I doubt Ford will pay for repair. You can get the head gasket replaced. Get a quote on a complete engine from here: http://engineengineering.co.uk/start/reconditioned-engines-rebuilt:298/ford-reconditioned-engines:330/ford-10l-ecoboost-engine-for-sale:2123/
    Originally posted by tomstickland
    You couldn't be more wrong about Ford. Ford have replaced engines for free , and some are waiting for their 4th 1.0 litre engine!
    Last edited by TickersPlaysPop; 07-02-2018 at 6:59 AM.
    Peace.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 21,468 Posts
    • 17,288 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You probably haven't heard of the recent recall for approx 15,000 1.6 Ecoboost engines in Jan 2018? Since you have one I would very quickly look it up...
    The Fiesta Black has a 1.0 engine so you wasted your time writing the post and our time reading it.
    • Bitanga
    • By Bitanga 6th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bitanga
    Same problems here on my focus 1.0 on like 48 000 miles. The problem is one small rubber band in the engine that is worth less then 1 euro. Ford did bad job in producing this band that brakes around this mileage and causing big engine problems like broken head gasket in my case and more then 1000euro bills from my pocket. Problems started right after 2 year warranty. I dont know when will ford addmit their bad production of their 1.0 ecoboost engine known as the best engine for few years now... (I have the picture of this rubber band but cant upload it yet as a new user here)
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 27th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    UPDATE...

BBC Radio 4 cover the scandal: Listen from 31min onwards (7mins long)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wpmrx

Facebook page now up to 470 car registrations from 150 back in Sep 2017.

Ford continue to be obstructive and delay replacing the engine for free, rarely with courtesy car provision.

DVSA reviewed a limited sub set of cases and came out with a conclusion disputed by all victims of this scandal.

1.6 litre Ecoboost recalled in Jan 2018 to fit a coolant level sensor to avoid engine over heating within in mins resulting in need for replacement engine.

Root cause - a design flaw in that any temporary coolant malfunction such as low coolant or sudden loss of coolant even followed by turning the engine off results in engine damage i.e. cracked cylinder head due to excessive heat. If driving at speed and there is a fast loss of coolant, this results in a sudden loss of power often with no warning. Weak points exist throughout the coolant system, including degas hose, cabin heater matrix, reservoir, various coolant/engine seals around the engine. What in most other cars is just a simple loss of coolant event that requires a top up, is a much more serious 4500 bill to replace the engine in ecoboost 1.0 and 1.6's.
    Last edited by TickersPlaysPop; 27-03-2018 at 1:17 PM.
    Peace.
    • Martxxx
    • By Martxxx 9th Apr 18, 1:42 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Martxxx
    Interesting the 1.6 Ecoboost is a Safety Recall and so it ought to be.

what happened to mine two weeks ago

I have just fallen victim to Ford Focus 1.6 ecoboost coolant problem. I got the recall notice on Friday 23rd March 2018, car goes on fire on Sunday 25th ... two days later, its almost like the car read the notice.

I did check the coolant level on Monday 19th March (day off for st patricks day) and it was just a little short of MAX, but hardly in need of any coolant.

Drove about 200 miles that week, including 25 mile on sunday to my mothers house. I did hear the electric fan when i stopped but thought, well i was in traffic and some cars do this, not usually the focus though. Two hours later i drive 1 mile , stop at traffic lights and i see smoke coming from the bonnet. I thought it was the car exhaust in front. I pulled over, lifted the bonnet, and there are flames, the rubber boot and the wiring harness to the crankcase sensor is on fire. Temp on dashboard has never changed from normal, no electric fan operating and the car is so hot it is on fire!

Managed to get a resident with a gallon of water to put the flames out, while i switched off the engine. I waited half an hour, and put warm coolant back in in hope more than expectation it would start, no chance!

Car was then towed to a ford dealer (left outside as it was sunday), on monday they tell me they dont want to fix it as there could be major problems with it they might not be able to fix, but try Trustford. Three Trustford garages tried i get one that might look at it on Thursday, though later they tell me next week, after Easter.

Surely this is something Ford will fix, i have no idea what damage was done, but to just drive a car and it go on fire is alarming, with no warning,(there is no warning light/buzzer for coolant there is for windscreen level). If i had gone shopping and left it after a short drive i would come back to an inferno.

Ford are agreeing to repair the car under the recall, having done a diagnostics check, but as yet no courtesy car, and i have paid for two recovery vehicles. Ford customer services think my insurance should pay for that, despite this being a known fault, and a safety recall. Parts are not available they are on back order from Germany and as yet i have no idea when the car will be fixed
    • BillTrac
    • By BillTrac 9th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    BillTrac
    I have a 2013 Focus Zetec S with the 125hp engine. I suffered the degas hose break in early November 2016. There is no way the temperature gauge sees that quickly enough. I turned a corner and the engine died. Literally seconds. Mileage 28k.

I called Ford and without any quibble at all it was taken in and when I called to check progress they told me another engine was already on order and was covered by the warranty (the fact I hadn't had the recall notice about the original plastic hose cracking under heat even though I had owned the car for two years may have helped ). There was a mix up over the courtesy car but they gave me a 100 voucher as an apology.
    Lovely car to drive and even though I know I should change for a newer car I'm reluctant to as I enjoy it so much.
    • Martxxx
    • By Martxxx 9th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Martxxx
    Billtrac, maybe it would be cheaper to tow my car to your Ford dealer

Ford have refused a courtesy car/hire car and refused transportation costs between Ford dealers in my case. The wiring loom has not arrived and there is no expected date.

Basically their cars they feel the need to recall for safety reasons are going on fire - but you are on your own, getting it to them and make your own arrangements regarding transport while parts are unavailable however long that might be

Shocking customer service!
    • Martxxx
    • By Martxxx 9th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Martxxx
    Copy of recall letter dated 6th March 2018

URGENT ACTION REQUIRED CONCERNING YOUR VEHICLE THIS IS NOT A CIRCULAR - PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY
    17S09 - 1.6 Ecoboost engine Coolant Level Sensor System Installation - Safety Recall
    Dear customer,
    Ford Motor Company Limited constantly monitors production processes and vehicles in service. A number of Kuga, Focus, C-Max and Transit Connect vehicles have been produced which if driven without sufficient coolant may result in the engine cylinder head overheating. The overheating may cause the cylinder head to crack allowing oil to leak on to a hot surface that could result in a potential fire risk in the engine compartment.
    Our records indicate that you are the owner of a vehicle which may be affected by this condition. It is important that this vehicle is returned to a Ford Authorised Dealer. Your Ford Authorized Dealer will upgrade the cooling system with a coolant level sensor and update the vehicles software providing visual and audible warnings should the coolant level fall below the required level. All work will be completed free of charge.
    What you should do new Please telephone any Ford Authorised Dealer who will arrange for this important work to be carried out. This letter must be given to your Ford Dealer whilst your vehicle is with them. There will be no charge and your dealer will do his best to minimise your inconvenience. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your co-operation in this important matter. If you require further advice, please contact your Customer Relationship Centre on the above number. If you no longer own or have responsibility for the vehicle
    Please advise us of a 'Change of Address or Ownership' at the below website To do this all you need is your Vehicle Identification Number and Letter Reference above. Alternatively please complete the attached form and return it in the reply-paid envelope provided. This will help us contact the new owner and advise them of the check/rework.
    Yours faithfully Customer Service Ford Motor Co Ltd
    Last edited by Martxxx; 09-04-2018 at 5:45 PM. Reason: OCR inaccuracy
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 11th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    The latest report is that the 1.6 litre recall is on hold due to 6 week wait on parts.... call your Ford dealer now to book a date.
    Peace.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 11th Apr 18, 1:24 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Watch this space and the Facebook group for a chance to join a possible group litigation order (GLO) for people to claim for losses due to this mess.

Also, Ford appear to have reduced their average offer, and commonly they only offer 55% contribution to the cost of approx 5000 to replace the 1.0 litre engines.
    Peace.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 11th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Watch this space and the Facebook group for a chance to join a possible group litigation order (GLO) for people to claim for losses due to this mess.

Also, Ford appear to have reduced their average offer, and commonly they only offer 55% contribution to the cost of approx 5000 to replace the 1.0 litre engines.
    Peace.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 22nd Jun 18, 6:46 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Please share this with all Ecoboost owners and previous owners...

Claim back 1000's !!

http://www.roscoereid.com/ford-ecoboost-engines/

Also, BBC TV today Rip Off Britain... today 9:15am...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7rsc5

Over 660 cases reported on the Facebook group page and sadly no sign of slowing at all.
    Peace.
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 26th Jun 18, 12:13 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    In the main media now....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/6624292/ford-1billion-legal-bill/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5885385/Ford-faces-1billion-legal-fight-defective-engines.html

This action covers all models, the legal website is being updated to reflect this, but currently appears to only cover focus fiesta and 1 other.

This legal action also applies to historical ownership and current.
    Peace.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,956Posts Today

9,320Users online

Martin's Twitter