Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • argeetee
    • By argeetee 3rd Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 15Thanks
    argeetee
    (UPDATED) About to sell my house online! (advice welcomed)
    • 3rd Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    (UPDATED) About to sell my house online! (advice welcomed) 3rd Mar 17 at 6:28 PM
    I!!!8217;m about to sell my property online, maybe with one of the companies I!!!8217;ve been researching below. Given the current state of the market, I!!!8217;d be grateful if you!!!8217;d advise me of anything you feel I should know.

My criteria for choosing an online agency is:
    1. FEES - Avoid unnecessary & (esp.) hidden fees. With the current market I may need to withdraw the property from sale, so prefer !!!8220;pay on completion!!!8221; deals with no/minimal exit fees. I also hope this means better service.
    2. Ability to correspond directly with buyers (I!!!8217;m available/ok handling viewings/negotiations).
    3. Wish to use my own conveyancer.
    4. Good customer service from the agent - as no doubt there will be problems.
    5. Easy editing of property details once published.

After many hours of research, reading reviews, terms and conditions etc., I!!!8217;ve narrowed my selection of websites to:
    • Esaleuk £995 payable on completion (early withdrawal from market fees = £150)
    • Hatched £1695 payable on completion (early withdrawal from market fees = £FREE)
    • HouseSimple £995 payable on completion (early withdrawal from market fees = £195)
    • SellMyHome £1499 payable on completion (early withdrawal from market fees £350 - emailed query)

I'm arranging my own EPC and conveyancing.

Anything I have missed or should watch out for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

======================================

UPDATE (30-Jan-2018)

SOLD!- After advertising in Nov 2017 with online agents Doorsteps for £99, (writing the description and making the photos ourselves), the property had numerous positive viewing and sold FAST (just completed). Feedback from viewers suggests that they really appreciate dealing directly with the seller. For us, after having dealt with so many time wasters and rubbish feedback via traditional estate agents, it was good to be able to establish for ourselves the quality of the candidates viewing our property. We had to deal with many more enquiries regarding the property but were able to track the sale progress in an efficient manner. People were very friendly, glad to be dealing directly. All in all it's an excellent result for £99 spent. I know there will be plenty of nay-sayers (how many EAs on this forum?) but the SAVINGS speak for itself!

======================================

UPDATE (18-Oct-2017)

In the end due to a significant increase in pressures from work I (regretfully) went with a local traditional agent. I carefully selected them from a number of local firms, which I'd been courting for a few years.

This local firm with many many years reputation and glowing reviews GOT IT COMPLETELY WRONG, costing me thousands (what with the drop in market, mortgage payments etc.)

The agents were lazy to the extent that I have yet to receive a contract! I had to chase them over their poor photos, poor descriptions, not listing on Zoopla and more.

HOW ABOUT THIS: After a viewing they even left the from door unlocked for the best part of a week!

Through ineptitude or sheer laziness their team (yes about 5 of them) simply got everything wrong and the house is yet to be sold.

They over priced it. I knew they did that so within a couple of weeks I had them reduce it to a realistic amount.

I asked them if it should be "dressed" - I'm not living there and just moved and redecorated, refurbed etc.. They said leave it empty - a BIG mistake, as "dressed" properties sell way faster (I rectified that at further cost). I always had to request their "bland" and probably inaccurate feedback from viewings.

When they did get an offer from a "vetted" locally known regular buyer, they took the house off the market only for the "buyer" to then disappear, never to be heard of again!

Now I'm in a position to take control, will try to an online Agent, drop the price further, price it to sell and pass on the savings

So as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what the agent says or say they'll do, it's best to get local recommendations from someone who has JUST used one, or better still DIY it!

PS. I strongly suspect many of the responses in this thread and elsewhere extolling the virtues of traditional Est. Agents are provided by the agents who have spare time in the office!
    Last edited by argeetee; 31-01-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Updated
Page 3
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 18th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    Sounds like a pretty naff experience in the end. But I don!!!8217;t think you can use one example to consign all bricks-and-mortar EAs to damnation for all eternity.

We!!!8217;re buying through Purplebricks. Touch wood, as we!!!8217;re not quite there yet, everything!!!8217;s been fine. But. I wouldn!!!8217;t be in a hurry to use them to sell. They haven!!!8217;t lifted a finger in facilitating the sale - all the legwork and chasing has been done by a combination of us and the vendor.
    • antilles
    • By antilles 18th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    antilles
    Sounds like a pretty naff experience in the end. But I don’t think you can use one example to consign all bricks-and-mortar EAs to damnation for all eternity.

We’re buying through Purplebricks. Touch wood, as we’re not quite there yet, everything’s been fine. But. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to use them to sell. They haven’t lifted a finger in facilitating the sale - all the legwork and chasing has been done by a combination of us and the vendor.
    Originally posted by Fiesto88
    I had a similar experience with Purplebricks, my current house was being sold through them. Once my offer was accepted, I never heard from them again, it was literally the vendor and I doing all the work via email and chasing things ourselves. Put me off using them for selling.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 18th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 4,137 Posts
    • 5,625 Thanks
    kinger101
    There are much better online agents. Speaking as someone buying through them now, I'd never use PurpleBricks myself. Too complacent as market leader, when their service is actually very poor. I've used cheaper and better.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 19th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,956 Posts
    • 1,707 Thanks
    chappers
    Sounds like a pretty naff experience in the end. But I don’t think you can use one example to consign all bricks-and-mortar EAs to damnation for all eternity.

We’re buying through Purplebricks. Touch wood, as we’re not quite there yet, everything’s been fine. But. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to use them to sell. They haven’t lifted a finger in facilitating the sale - all the legwork and chasing has been done by a combination of us and the vendor.
    Originally posted by Fiesto88
    All a symptom of the changing property market.
    Even for traditional agents I bet the majority of their buyers come to them asking for viewings having seen the property on an online portal.
    Finding a potential buyer is the easy bit, I could sign up to rightmove and sling a load of ads up and would get calls asking to view properties. Getting those enquiries through to completion is the hard part. Most sales probably go through without a hitch with most of the difficult stuff being sorted via the solicitors. But sometimes other issues occur.
    I am currently in a position where a buyer is trying to gazunder me for no other reason than he wants a price reduction. our agent is really having to earn his money and is working hard.
    He is an important level of separation and experience in these things between us and the buyer. He is the one that can be more candid with the buyer without revealing our position.
    This would all have been impossible with Purplebricks.
    I have experience of them from a potential buyers perspective and on all but one occasion they have been next to useless. the one occasion it wasn't too bad was because it was the agents own house we were looking at.
    • argeetee
    • By argeetee 31st Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    argeetee
    UPDATE (BY OPENING POSTER)

SOLD!- After advertising in Nov 2017 with online agents Doorsteps for £99, (writing the description and making the photos ourselves), the property had numerous positive viewing and sold FAST (just completed). Feedback from viewers suggests that they really appreciate dealing directly with the seller. For us, after having dealt with so many time wasters and rubbish feedback via traditional estate agents, it was good to be able to establish for ourselves the quality of the candidates viewing our property. We had to deal with many more enquiries regarding the property but were able to track the sale progress in an efficient manner. People were very friendly, glad to be dealing directly. All in all it's an excellent result for £99 spent. I know there will be plenty of nay-sayers (how many EAs on this forum?) but the SAVINGS speak for itself!
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 31st Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Listing your house online is the way to go if you can, congrats to all those not using traditonal EAs, you are a credit to the economy.
    • Lornapink
    • By Lornapink 31st Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Lornapink
    Hello I was recommended this site by a friend.
    With online Agents does anyone know whether they tend to do accompanied viewings as I am not too keen opening my home to strangers?
    Restless, somebody pour me a vino.
    • Lornapink
    • By Lornapink 31st Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Lornapink
    Wow that's sound amazing value. Do they advertise on Rightmove as that's the place I always go to when looking for a property?
    Restless, somebody pour me a vino.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 31st Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    It varies, there are a number of different companies offering different packages, so will do accompanied viewings, others will not.
    • argeetee
    • By argeetee 8th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    argeetee
    (I'm the opening poster on this thread)

Yes my property was listed by Doorsteps on RightMove & Zoopla , all for £99.

You can buy additional services which included accompanied viewings. There are many online agents offering differing levels of service and costs, so I suggest you research and look also at review sites for feedback.

We used Doorsteps as it had very good feedback and was extremely low cost and had no hidden extras. There were a couple of small issues getting the listing "just right" for me but their staff (via email) were very prompt, polite and efficient, handling issues within hours...

I tested their viewings booking system beforehand and therefore it came as no surprise that it was easy and efficient to use for all concerned.

Hope this helps
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 8th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    £99 to get on rightmove and zoopla is awesome!

Your entire fee was £99 for everything ?
    Last edited by PokerPlayer111; 08-02-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    • argeetee
    • By argeetee 8th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    argeetee

Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    Yes that's correct - £99.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 8th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Surrey_EA

Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    Doesn't include photos, floor plan or description, not sure about EPC.

https://doorsteps.co.uk/pricing.php
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 8th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    lol so £199 at most. Thats an amazing price.

Congrats OP you are a legend. Cant wait until this becomes more popular!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 8th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    You can be fairly confident the price will not remain at the current level. It is not possible for this to be profitable.
    • the_quick
    • By the_quick 8th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    the_quick
    Agreed, can't make any profit, if paying for right move and zoopla, hiring staff, running business. I assume they are making a loss at the moment to establish themselves on the market. Nothing against online agent - I think it will take on even more in future years.

Well done OP, saved yourself quite nice sum !
    • googler
    • By googler 8th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    • 14,715 Posts
    • 9,644 Thanks
    googler
    With Online Agents does anyone know whether they tend to do accompanied viewings as I am not too keen opening my home to strangers?
    Originally posted by Lornapink
    C'mon, now .... If they do physical stuff for you, they're not really 'online agents', are they?

They're what they like to call a 'Hybrid Agent' these days...
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 8th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    I think it will take on even more in future years.
    Originally posted by the_quick
    The younger generations are more comfortable on the internet, housing stock still held mostly by boomers and generation before.
    Also mcdonaldization of housing will help this trend grow a little.

Lets hope for more of this, i was a purplebricks fan girl i might change to team doorsteps.
    • Onedaydebtfree
    • By Onedaydebtfree 23rd Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Onedaydebtfree
    'online' agents, some are good, some are bad juts like High Street agents. I have direct mobile contact to my Purple Bricks contact who I text all the time. Admittedly we are not at the stage of accepting an offer but I can't see why he would start ignoring my calls once we find a buyer. Only been on the market a week and had 5 viewings. As far as people saying High Street EA qualify buyers....Never in my area. I've viewed over 10 properties and only once have i been asked my situation!! Traditional Estate Agents are getting found out in my opinion....
    • inzellhsw
    • By inzellhsw 23rd Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    inzellhsw
    I'm also a fan of online EA. Sold three houses - one with House Simple and two with Turtle Homes. I'm confident to show people around and I think it's the way forward!
    Will consider Doorstep next time which is significantly cheap!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

6,351Users online

Martin's Twitter