Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 2nd Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 3,272Posts
    • 21,105Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 2nd Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    Cherry takes the reins 2nd Mar 17 at 11:10 PM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank 3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that 3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 85
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Woke up with a headache and can't work out if it's because I slept well or slept badly. Hey ho. And it's a good job I looked on the calendar as I'd forgotten I'm working tonight, so I'm just off to the shops then back to work. I think I'll get something quick to eat but fortifying as tonight's shift won't be a lot quieter than last night's and we didn't get to eat till about 8.30... back to carrying a trusty muesli bar in my pocket as well as having a meal in the fridge.

Which reminds me I left a smoothie in the work fridge the other day which could be the answer to not having time for coffee.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018 Overpaid by 2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Smoothie duly consumed. Work is very full-on, plus I'm now doing another sleep-in tonight... ah well. I slept very well last night!

Yesterday's spending:
    Housekeeping 5.90
    And today's:
    Anti-virus protection (electronics) 64.99
    MS:
    3 three sleep-ins in a row! Tops up the income nicely.

No decluttering.

I'm thankful for the extra income, church this morning and time spent with DH .
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018 Overpaid by 2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Jun 19, 10:29 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Slight change of plans: down to two sleep-ins but I'm shift lead before tonight's, which isn't fun. I have three days off coming up, though, which I'm looking forward to. I'm quite tempted to go in and do some garden jobs at work as I enjoy it so much, but another part of me says stick to my guns and insist it's paid.

In better news, the mortgage payment went through on 3rd (I hope they haven't charged me for the two days of the weekend when they hadn't transferred it: doubtless it will be in the small print). If I save up another 76 this month will bring the mortgage under 5,500! It's exciting.

I suppose I ought to log in to my CC and make a few payments... all fun stuff round here. Also I have a huge pile of ironing and need something to wear before I go to work. Shift lead in pyjamas would be novel (like one of those lovely nursing homes where the staff wear pyjamas at night to show the residents it's bed time) - but I doubt it would go down well as day wear.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Jun 19, 7:38 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,300 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's great news on the mortgage being so low Cherry . I hope your shift goes well tonight.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 3,000/5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 2,005/5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 159.37/500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = 200. PREMIUM BONDS DH = 200
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jun 19, 9:12 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A strange thing is happening - I believe it's called a day off. However it's grey and windy so I'm not going to be gardening. I might try to get a load of laundry done before the weather changes for the worst as the forecast is wet, wet, wet.

A change of plans re DH's auntie visiting: she was going to stay elsewhere but someone there is poorly so she's coming to us and J and L have kindly agreed to stay with A and H so auntie can use their room. For me this means thinking of something for dinner... no inspiration yet but I'll get there. DH has suggested we eat out tomorrow but I have the day off again so it would be no trouble for me to cook (and is cheaper).

The other things to do today are tidy (!) and find a DVD I was going to watch with my friends tonight. Time I got moving then!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jun 19, 10:59 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Rather a spendy day as I bought 'proper' dinner for five of us, including auntie. I think they all enjoyed it and DD helped me by making the Eton Mess.

I'm fairly shattered but managed to meet up with my friends (lots of apologising to our guest but I'd already cancelled on them last week). L helped me rent a copy of the film we wanted to see, which was very good though none of us had ever heard of it before.

Not so good is tension among the younger generation. DS2 is struggling with not having his own space. I do feel for him but I know the others are trying hard to get to the point where they can afford their own place.

Spending:
    Film (I might stick that under the 'books' budget as I don't have a film category) 1.99
    Housekeeping /entertaining 21.24. (paid on CC - mustn't lose track of that).
    MS:
    Found three gift tokens while looking for something else - all mine, too. Not sure one is still valid but the others seem to be.
    Decluttering:
    Again, while looking for other things I managed to get rid of some papers (50 pieces - I counted ), four catalogues/leaflets and a damaged whiteboard.

My thankfulness today: dinner worked out okay, I have the place to myself at least part of tomorrow and it can't rain forever.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 11-06-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Jun 19, 10:02 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another rainy day... if it stops I might try to do a little bit of gardening. Other than that I have a parcel to post, a whole house to declutter and some sewing that I've neglected recently. We are going out tonight but I'll plan a dinner tomorrow so as to save a bit of cash.

Money-wise, I need to sort the credit card.

I would like to browse diaries but I'll save that for later.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jun 19, 8:50 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,300 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope it stops raining soon, the weather seems bad everywhere at the moment, and cold for June!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Jun 19, 9:36 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I was sure it was going to rain this afternoon but it dried up! We had a really nice meal and I was good and had coffee instead of pudding. Telling myself I can have pudding another day, I really don't need one on top of a parmo (a regional speciality that I highly recommend).

I got to the shops this afternoon but despite doing very little today I am all in. I even went for a lie-down after shopping but I'm still yawning. At least I've posted the baby blanket to my great-nephew. Our Post Office is about to relocate and when I said I'd miss it and asked after their jobs, the member of staff looked really sad and said they aren't all being kept on. This despite the town growing. Of course I said I was really sorry to hear that and I will spare you all my rant on short-sighted planning but spare a thought tonight for those who had a job today but won't have one tomorrow.

Spending:
    Postage 3.00
    Housekeeping 21.99
    Confession time:
    I'm already stretching the budget for this week. I haven't worked out how much is entertaining but I doubt it will look healthy even when that's taken into consideration. I did spend massively on coffee today, and the big meal yesterday took half the budget. I really shouldn't be allowed out sometimes: I walked across town to another supermarket as I was getting low on coffee and they often have offers on that have finished at the nearest one - but all the best ones were on offer so didn't I just go and buy some of each? I remember paying for it and being slightly surprised at myself, but it will certainly get used and I was feeling rather under the weather - that's my excuse anyway.
    I've also paid part of the CC bill but yesterday's spends weren't through yet so I'll need to go back to it later.
    MS:
    10th coin = 5p
    Decluttering:
    Took a bag to the charity shop - mostly clothes that don't fit any more - and posted the parcel that's been hanging round for a week.

Tonight I'm thankful for a nice meal with the family
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Jun 19, 10:58 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Not a huge amount to report today apart from a good night's sleep after which I feel more healthy. It continues to rain... I guessed there was an inch of water accumulated in a container in the garden and out of interest I measured it: 4.4cm. I think I cleaned that container out about three days ago.

Having slept in till ten, I thought I was too late to follow auntie to visit DFiL but she borrowed his mobile to ask if I could bring her phone so off I went. Nice to see DFiL again after a few weeks: he is looking well and his mobility has significantly improved. I've definitely put in the steps today: I walked back to town with auntie who then went off to meet friends while I did a bit more shopping, though I forgot a couple of items. I did succumb to two tiny tomato plants reduced to 10p each, garden wire to mend a bird feeder that the pigeons were too heavey for and some hormone rooting powder for my rose cuttings. I think the tomatoes will have to go in the open ground as I've not organised any pots - come to think of it, I haven't organised any open ground, either.

Nothing achieved on the decluttering front (I don't think I can count vacuuming).

I'll be back to work tomorrow, possibly for a rest, and auntie is going home. How can someone a generation older than me tire me out so much?! She is a nice person but she must live on adrenaline... It will never catch up with her as she doesn't stop still long enough.

Spending:
    Electronics (USB charger cable) 1.99
    Garden 3.94
    Toiletries 3.50
    Medical 2.80
    Housekeeping about 4.20? Can't find the receipt.

Nothing to report on the money-saving front apart from making soup and crumble for dinner (saving a fortune ) and arriving too late at DFiL's to get a coffee. No decluttering today.

I'm grateful for a little hint of sunshine this afternoon, and being able to put the heating on, on a gloomy day.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 13-06-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Jun 19, 11:37 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    By way of a PS... I DID declutter something. 7 fridge items that were sadly past it and are now compost. I feel a bit guilty for wasting them but I don't think they were going to get any more edible by being kept.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Jun 19, 10:12 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I don't think I've spent anything today... this morning seems rather a long time ago. Auntie treated DD and me to coffee before leaving. I've suggested she and I meet up one day at a mid-way point between her town and Mum's old house. A sort of 'girls' day on the town'! That might help her feel we had come to see her as well as giving me a break from the house.

I went home and found J packing for a weekend away and L had gone to a funeral for a friend who died very suddenly, so quite a gloomy atmosphere but I had a chat with J and this evening I've texted L to say I hope it went okay. We aren't likely to see either of them for a few days, and DS2 is out this evening - so we've gone from a full house to just us. I love having the stashed papers out of our room and messing up the dining room again! Is that a weird thing to say?! I don't like the fact that paper is my nemesis and I struggle to get rid of it, but it's so nice not being on good behaviour.

Work looks like being yet another heavy weekend. I had mentioned to my manager that between work and personal life I've not had a proper day off in a few weeks and I think he took notice because he looked at me and asked how I was. Not that he usually ignores me as he's pleasant and a good listener, but there was a feeling I was being assessed. Anyway there's not much he can do about it but be concerned as we are low on staff over the coming week. It might mean I don't get asked to do more, though. I suppose I have picked up a few extra shifts which is my own doing but it's the working through my days off that hasn't been addressed. The ones I picked up didn't affect that.

So there's nothing to report on spending, money saving or decluttering. I did get the laundry done and have nearly got a mark out of J's light-coloured coat which could save her the cost of a new one if I can just complete the job.

Today I'm thankful for a bit of down-time, the sun coming out and the laundry on the line.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th Jun 19, 7:22 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 10,443 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Older generations are amazing! I had a great aunt who, at a family wedding, was the last to leave the dance floor.

Enjoy the weekend.
    paydbx2019 #93 1091.17/10,100 .
    EF 80

# savings# 11
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,300 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Perhaps you need to schedule a few hours of relaxation on your days off occasionally. You sound like you might be feeling a bit frazzled?

I'm glad the sun has come out, it's so nice to be able to dry washing outside .
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Jun 19, 10:28 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I do tend to take mornings off when I have a day off, thanks HH, but losing days off entirely (training is scheduled on days off sometimes) has an impact. I reduced my work hours last year and that's helped but recently I've had the combination of training and things outside work just eating up my time and energy lately. I have two days off next week though (nearly - I realised I said I'd do the sleep in at work right at the end of those, which will lead me into the early shift when I get back).

Anyway, today's shift went more easily than expected as we had enough staff and found a new order for doing things which freed up the early evening. We had a torrential downpour but afterwards all spent a bit of time in the garden which was nice and, I think, a welcome change.

Earlier in the day DH and I went to the car boot sale which was a bit depleted but not muddy despite the recent weather. I spent 4 on plants then spotted a smaller version of a coffee pot my parents used to have. My sister has what remains of that set and I didn't have room anyway, but this little jug was only 4... it's mine now! I keep going past it and stroking it!

Spending:
    Garden 4
    Household 4
    MS:
    Had fish left over from feeding people during the week so had that with our chips (and it was really nice).
    Didn't have enough change to buy the little casserole dish that was for sale with the jug, but might take money next time in case I happen on it again - though to be honest it was the coffee pot I fell for.
    2 coin for the jar.
    No decluttering today.

I'm grateful for my little coffee pot, for an easier shift and for all my new plants - dianthus, busy lizzies and a pale lemon perennial viola.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th Jun 19, 10:52 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 10,443 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The coffee pot and plants sound delightful, especially the lemon viola
    paydbx2019 #93 1091.17/10,100 .
    EF 80

# savings# 11
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Jun 19, 10:23 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent yesterday but not a good day due to tension between various members of the younger generation coming out when some of them weren't at home. DH and I are going to have to intervene and it isn't looking good - but then I'm too close to the situation to see it properly. Anyway today has been more peaceful and I heard from a colleague that she may have a property they could rent in a few months' time. However she's asked me not to mention it to them as she doesn't know for sure that it will be available.

In better news, DS2 has passed his dissertation! That's a relief, though it makes it more likely that he, too, will be moving away. Oooh, and I think there may be a girlfriend in the offing! How exciting! He did have a female friend round yesterday and has been buying new clothes. I mean, that's proof, isn't it?!

Today I had a lazy morning, got some shopping including chocolate and a pastry to cheer me up, then went to work for what promised to be a heavy shift. However, it worked out just the opposite and I got myself a few little brownie points with a senior colleague (I hope) by spotting something in some paperwork.

Work-wise, I turned down a couple of possible shifts, then discovered I was double-booked on another one, so cancelled it. Then we had a change in bookings so I was able to pull out of one that came on top of training on Thursday. It means less cash but the time off will be good. I've not heard any more about the gardening, officially, but colleagues have been suggesting ways I could progress so I expect when the rain stops for long enough I shall be back there mowing the lawn.

I am actually quite off-kilter between auntie's visit last week (which I found difficult) and the disagreement between the children where I can see both sides and someone is going to be hurt unless things change. I know I'm still fairly tired too, so I'm going to try to rest over the next couple of days - which are proper days off now with no meetings to go to and no sleep-in shifts to cover!

Spending:
    Housekeeping 5.73
    Clothing 12.00
    MS:
    10th coins saved 21p
    Gift of some drinking glasses from L.
    No decluttering.

I'm thankful today that things have gone well with DS2's dissertation, for an easier shift than expected and for days off to come.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jun 19, 6:08 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh dear - an expensive day so far. I looked into dental insurance again and this year it would have been cheaper than the treatment I've now completed. No point in setting it up for a while though, the dentist seems to have done a good job and I'm all patched up for the foreseeable.

I decided to do a bit of decluttering this morning but it mostly amounted to tidying. I did throw paper waste into the log burner, which is somehow satisfying, and binned some trainers that are no longer comfortable due to being worn thin. They were nice while they lasted - I did my one-and-only 10K in those!

The house still feels sad, or maybe it's just me. J and L haven't got in yet: in my suspicious mind I think they might be steering clear of DS2 but it might not be that. L is usually sociable, which makes me think there's something to his absence. Hate it when people fall out but as I said the other day, I can see both sides.

At least I've done the laundry (how nice that it can line-dry again!) and the lady who looks after Mum's garden has texted to say she's razed the weeds, which I suspect is so I won't have to shell out for a strimmer.

Spending:
    Medical 97.00 (oh, and 80p for anti histamines)
    Housekeeping 2.70
    MS:
    Wombled 16p
    Refilled a herb jar at the eco shop - all of 14p!
    10th coin saved 5p
    Decluttered:
    2 bits of paper
    a pair of trainers
    a lid
    an empty herb jar that's now a full herb jar.
    I also found my travel cube that I keep electricals in, so now I have use of another charger cable, a power bank and my old phone that has music on.

Today I'm thankful for cheap herbs, good dental care and mild weather.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Jun 19, 7:38 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,300 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm sorry about the diagreement between children . DS1 and DS2 didn't speak to each other for about two years once (loong story) and DH and I found this incredibly distressing but could do nothing about it. However they are on good terms now, so it blew over in the end.

I'm glad you're going to have some proper time off to relax .
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jun 19, 9:58 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks HH. Not sure what's going on now, I hope they don't wait two years to sort it out, that must have been very hard for you.

I went round to my friend's this evening and we watched the film Molokai, which is incredibly moving but a tough watch... oddly I feel better for watching it.

Nothing else to add tonight...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,351Posts Today

8,494Users online

Martin's Twitter