Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 2nd Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 2,779Posts
    • 17,579Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 2nd Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    Cherry takes the reins 2nd Mar 17 at 11:10 PM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank 3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that 3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 82
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th May 19, 2:00 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well, that was an expensive morning! That's private dentistry for you: check-up, two x-rays, scale and polish = 126.00. The tooth I was worried about is okay, apparently, but a filling on the other side is starting to deteriorate so I have another appointment to look forward to.
    Then to console myself for the expensive morning, I meandered round some shops and bought myself a recipe book in a charity shop, so I need to redouble my efforts to reduce the books I already have.
    Tea tonight will be pie to use up Sunday's gammon and a bit of chicken from the freezer, so that's quite MS.
    In not-so-good news, I came home to a phone call to say DFiL has had two choking incidents: he's okay now but is going to have to have pureed food as he's at high risk. I was glad I'd flagged that up back at his assessment - which reminds me they are supposed to have got back to us by now.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018 Overpaid by 1,038.40/2,880.00 Jan-April 2019. Decluttered in 2019: 665/2019 as of 20/05/19
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th May 19, 11:15 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Spending for 8th May:
    Medical (Dentist) 126.00 (paid on CC but immediately paid it off - it's just that I get a few loyalty points for using the card).
    Book 2.50
    Housekeeping 4.84
    MS
    Dinner mostly made from leftovers
    Made a start on patching my favourite jeans
    10th coin savings 30p
    Today I'm thankful for a new recipe book, a completed basket of ironing and an extra day off tomorrow.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018 Overpaid by 1,038.40/2,880.00 Jan-April 2019. Decluttered in 2019: 665/2019 as of 20/05/19
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th May 19, 10:00 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've just transferred the rest of DH's last month's pay to savings - there wasn't enough to top up the holiday account as well, partly because we had to pay the decorator, but it was just generally an expensive month with two of the children having birthdays.

The decorating needed to be done but I'm really glad DH felt up to doing the painting or it would have used up most of last month's surplus. The aim is to get it done by the time we have friends to stay in two weeks' time, and J and L have offered to help us with the ceiling so I'm going to okay that with DH as L has time off and I'm hoping he can get it done (it's easiest for him as he's a lot taller than the rest of us!) The room still 'needs' new carpet, curtains and sofas... but that might have to wait! I would like to have very plain blinds over the windows as well as the curtains, partly to stop it being so open (not very overlooked, just not private) and partly to stop glare on the TV screen.

Today my job is to finish going through the books from the lounge bookcase and tidy up anything else of mine in that room. If I'm organised I might do the landing as well as things are starting to creep back there. It's so hard, this decluttering business! I think I accidentally inherited a genetic fault that leads me to think things are part of me or of other people! My Dad was certainly like that: every last thing was saved and labelled in case it came in useful.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 09-05-2019 at 11:39 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th May 19, 10:56 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think it's finally stopped raining! Enough for me to have a wander through town this afternoon and get some groceries, bumping into DS1 in Sainsbugs which was nice as we've both been away so I haven't seen him for a couple of weeks. I haven't got a huge amount done at home: the lounge is nearly as untidy as it was this morning but I have found a few books that belong there and were scattered, and I've rehomed a few too.
    I was quite creative at lunchtime and finished the rest of the pastry from yesterday by making a sort of Swiss roll, spreading it with red pesto, fried onion and sweet pepper, sliced olives and cheese. It was quite tasty but not the healthiest so I was a bit low in energy later. I also cleared the top of the freezer and cleaned it - I suspect this was a displacement activity but at least it's done.
    This evening I made a big pasta dish and gave some to J for her lunch tomorrow as well as having a portion left over which might be tea for me tomorrow night at work. Just one day back at work then I have the weekend off! Taking today off turned out to be a good thing even if I've spent too long on the computer. Finally, I've been sewing this evening. Yesterday I reinforced the knee of my jeans - I tend to go through them in the same place. This evening I've been embroidering it, having spent some time wondering what to do and how to do it. It's easier than I thought (I used to do freehand embroidery so I'm dusting off old skills). I've yet to try them on and it may not be comfortable but we'll see.
    Spending:
    Gifts 3.80
    Housekeeping 10.74
    MS:
    Lunch from leftovers
    Resisted buying a rabbit from the pet shop - though it was beautiful and I miss having rabbits.
    10th coin savings 20p
    Had to go searching for my preferred coffee but the leg work was worth it: 3 off a large jar at the other end of town!
    Decluttering:
    Out of date cereal and eggs, 2 greetings cards, a piece of paper, 2 containers of handcream (emptied), 2 very old eyeshadows, 8 books, a catalogue.

I'm thankful today because I can have these accasional days off, I've had company in the house most of the day as L was at home, I met A in the supermarket and had a chat and J likes my pasta very much.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 10-05-2019 at 9:44 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th May 19, 10:42 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I had a bit of a green moment this morning: I have 2 plastic boxes of laundry capsules (supermarket own brand) and, needing space, decided to transfer from the opened one to any spare space in the brand new one. Long story short - there was room in the new box for another 12 capsules, i.e. a quarter more product. That's without much rearranging. I think I could have got two more in with a little rejigging. So, a waste of my space, a waste of resources (more packaging) and a good reason to look elsewhere. Oddly, before I'd even googled, Facebook sent me an ad for Smor capsules and what struck me is how much more efficiently they're packaged. So a bit of exploration and I've paid 2 postage for samples of their laundry and dishwasher products. I don't really know much about them so if any of you does, I'd be glad of the info.
    I also did some washing up by hand and the scouring pad is getting manky, so I've investigated and my local eco shop is selling loofah scouring pads which cost more but apparently last longer and don't sit in landfill forever, which the bright plastic ones will do. So I'm off to try those.
    All of that reminds me that I never sent off to 'Who gives a !!!!' (MSE edited this - apparently their editorial tools can see through my feeble attempts to make it look more polite ) to try the toilet rolls so I may as well get that done. Will probably try the kitchen towels too... oh, I am definitely having a bit of an eco-day. Maybe not a cheap day, but initially there are some good offers which I'll use if I can, and I'm all for saving the planet - or at least minimising my footprint.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 10-05-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th May 19, 10:19 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I got a 5 discount on my first toilet roll order, but did get a lot more than I'd usually get in one go which will mess up my accounting no end. I also got kitchen roll - I hope they arrive when DH isn't around so I don't have to put up with him complaining (justifiably ) about the difficulties of storing bulk buys. I didn't have time to go into town so I haven't got any washing up loofahs yet.
    I remember reading someone's very well thought-out diary (whose?) where they have a longer term spending budget and a shorter term one, but I can't remember how they divided it up and generally kept track of it. This is effectively spending over a week's housekeeping in one go, but means I won't have to get more for many months - late Autumn I think their calculator said. Of course I regularly overrun my housekeeping budget and one day I will be realistic and face up to it, though if those TV programmes about thrifty spending are to be believed, we are anything but minimal.

I now have two days off! Again! My senior manager asked me if I could come in on a day off in a few weeks for a special event and I agreed but asked my line manager later if I could take another day of in lieu as I've got yet more training coming up. The line manager said he didn't know why I'd been asked as there are plenty of staff that day, so I'm back to my usual hours. As yesterday was the remains of last year's annual leave combined with time in lieu, and today I was rota'd for the morning but worked the late, I'm now close to saying 'just ring me to let me know when I'm expected'.

I remembered that the chap never came to fix the tile on the roof - so many promises! He did actually turn up and did the other part of the job but the weather was foul and he had his little kids with him so I told him not to go on the roof at that point. He's promised and apologised charmingly often enough. If he doesn't turn up tomorrow (following me messaging him to ask if we should get a roofer and send him the bill as he caused the damage), I will seriously consider going onto his facebook page and making the whole mess public, which I've avoided as I don't want to do damage to his business and 99% of the work has been really good. Sigh.

Not much else to report, here are today's lists:
    Spending:
    Housekeeping 45.00 (toilet rolls and kitchen rolls) + 2 (postage on laundry and dishwasher sample tablets) = 1 smashed budget. Good job I never set out to be an accountant.
    MS:
    5 saved with introductory offer. (Postage is probably about what I'd have paid for the laundry capsules as part of a big pack, so I'm not counting those).
    10th coin savings 10p.
    No decluttering.

Today I'm glad of a straightforward shift followed by more time off.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th May 19, 10:39 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I am wondering if today marks a sea change? I went to the car boot sale and bought absolutely nothing! There were some bits and pieces that were vaguely appealing but not worth exchanging either cash or space for, and certainly nothing I really wanted. I came away vaguely dissatisfied but, as I said to DH, maybe I've got to the stage where instead of buying things from car boot sales, I ought to be taking them back! (I'm not sure I could cope with early morning professional shoppers, though).
    We were quite restrained at lunch time, too: we hadn't bought any fish in but had a look in the freezer and found a portion of scampi and some fish fingers, so had those with our chips, thus saving the price of chippie fish and making a bit of freezer space.
    This afternoon it absolutely poured down again. DH had to take DFiL to the optician so I pottered about at home making banana bread and moving old photos out of their albums. Apparently those albums with the plastic film to hold the photos in place don't actually do the pictures any good. I've worked through about half of them, packing and labelling the photos as I went on, and sending copies to friends which was fun. On the downside, our photocopier/scanner is refusing to scan despite being reinstalled. I'll unplug it overnight and give it another go in the morning but it's not looking entirely hopeful. It was working in the autumn but I don't think we've used it since.
    So: it's been a productive day but not a huge amount to show for it. I'd intended to garden but it's been too wet. DH gave me the rest of his share of housekeeping and I've spent it on a meal for tomorrow but it turns out it's the two of us and one of our children so it's not going to be a big event. I think I am just about in budget but I have lost track as I didn't get it out in cash. One not-so-good thing was I put lots of bedding to wash as it was nice in the morning, then had to tumble dry it all.
    Spending:
    Housekeeping 15.14 (loofah washing up sponge was 3, I finally got to the eco shop between showers).
    MS:
    Nothing bought at car boot
    made banana bread
    Noted I have 1.01 worth of loyalty points from using my CC for larger purchases... sort of worth it but requires me to be on the ball so I'm not using it for everyday spending.
    Did one of those customer quizzes mentioned on the till receipt so there should be 25p's worth of loyalty points soon to be added to my account. (If I remembered to do this once a month it would be worth 3 a year... but I don't).
    Decluttering:
    The contents of 140 pages of photograph albums have been rehomed and the albums recycled/binned. The photos are now in labelled packets. A few baking items finished by being innovative with the banana recipe.

My happy list for today: sunshine between downpours, having an eco-friendly shop in town and time spent with DH even though it was spent wandering unproductively round a field. Oh, and old photos that make people smile.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 11-05-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th May 19, 9:59 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent today; we went to church in the morning then DS1 came for lunch which was a good catch-up time. In the afternoon the police came to put security etchings on various bits and pieces following the theft from our shed a few weeks ago, and as the weather was gorgeous, I spent time gardening. You can't tell I've done anything, honestly, but I'm trying to get some trim edges and remove more obvious weeds! It's just that everything is growing so quickly, and it wasn't in brilliant shape to begin with.
    DH and I then had a lovely walk from home out to the countryside: we used to walk a lot but it's harder to fit it in during the week as he has to drive a lot for work so a weekend of activities together is very welcome.
    I also found a new home for the grate from the old fireplace which is satisfying, and adds a bit to the decluttering total.
    It's going to be quite a busy week this week, starting with work tomorrow morning, and I checked my emails just now (as there might not be the opportunity at work) to find my manager has offered me some extra hours to do the work garden! I could hardly believe my eyes, as the staffing budget is tight, but I think there may have been a separate budget for the garden. Oddly, tomorrow is the one bit of my rota where I actually am quite likely to get an hour or so that I can't use elsewhere, so I will take gardening gloves, shears, notebook, trowel. I know there's equipment there but I don't think it's in the best condition. I don't know until I give it a try how many hours I can do / how many they will allow so I don't know what's in it for me financially - but it may be useful.

And I'm thankful for this new extra little job, the lovely weather and progress in the garden, time with DH, a good talk at church this morning and a good talk with DH later.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th May 19, 12:30 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    What a great extra job! Enjoy!

Hurray for good talks! Have a good week.
    paydbx2019 #93 699.95/10,100 .
    School trips 1216/1269..
    EF 260
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th May 19, 1:52 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,849 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's great news to get paid for doing some gardening at work .

Well done on not spending at the car boot sale. I have to watch myself in charity shops as they can have good items but do I need them, do I have room for them and do I want to spend money on them or would I rather keep my money in my purse?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 1,505.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 66
    PREMIUM BONDS = 50
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th May 19, 10:33 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    do I need them, do I have room for them and do I want to spend money on them or would I rather keep my money in my purse?
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Exactly.

Well, it's been a super day - I got a lot of gardening time which is a story in itself, and the weather has been gorgeous. It reminded me of holidays in the sun so I splashed out slightly over dinner and made Moroccan chicken which was pretty yummy.

The gardening was really enjoyable, if complicated. I had a busy start to my shift but after breakfast everything went quiet so I pulled out the lawn mower in an attempt to make maximum impact before getting down to the slower jobs like weeding. The grass was a tad long so I soon went to empty some clippings into the compost (the first of about 6 trips).

Bin 1 was full of twiggy stuff so that will have to be bagged up to go to the tip. Bin 2 was actually compost of sorts, though mostly grass clippings, as was bin 3, I thought, dodging a bee or so. Then it occurred to me there were several bees... so I looked further and got stung! My own fault but at least I'm not too bothered by bees or stings. There followed a saga of talking to the manager, taking antihistamines and contacting a beekeeper but at the close of play the score was bees 1: humans 0. Apparently they quite like compost heaps and sometimes burrow into them to make a home for themselves.

Eventually I got the lawn done - after trying to make the stripes go round trees and getting the extension cable in a twist: who knew it could be complicated? - and pulled all the stuff out of the little shed to see what there was. To my surprise someone had obviously spent out back in the dim and distant past and there were some good quality garden tools, though one or two beyond use. Then I got distracted by the need to have lunch and help a colleague in the building so that was another hour gone.

After that it was back into the garden to tidy up and make a start on the weeds, of which some are easier than others and definitely not a quick win. I did discover that one area has the potential to be a Mediterranean or Alpine garden but I need to investigate further.

So I spent about four and a half hours, of which one was extra time, and I have had a wonderful time and a free bee sting, which is a good thing because if I'd paid for it I'd be a) rather daft and b) disappointed as it's not very effective.

Then this evening I had an idea about tidying at home a little bit so I picked up the papers nearest me which turned out to be last year's mortgage statement. I know, I need to put them straight in the file next time. Anyway I have rediscovered that we pay daily interest so I checked my bank statement and paid off 200 now rather than at the end of the month. This is great because it brings us under another thousand as well as saving us a little in interest.

I'm really quite tired now: all that gardening was fantastic exercise and a lot cheaper than the gym, but I will ache tomorrow. (I've done 17,000 steps and a lot of bending, pushing and pulling). I will also be sitting in a course all day so I will stiffen up, but never mind: I have Wednesday and Thursday off.

Spending:
    Mortgage 200.00
    Housekeeping 10.87
    MS:
    Making my mortgage OP early saves a bit of interest.
    Wombled 17p.
    An extra hour's pay through gardening.
    Decluttering:
    The remains of a banana cake and some cous cous

Today I'm thankful for happy weather and the freedom of gardening
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 13-05-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th May 19, 5:55 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I haven't stiffened up yet. I managed a bit of a walk at lunch time as I accidentally left my lunch in the fridge at home so headed down to the supermarket which wasn't intentional but quite nice in the middle of a day sitting in training.

L has kindly painted the lounge ceiling for us and it's looking crisp and clean so there is a small cost for materials which I've just transferred to them. Other than that I was going to meet friends this evening but what with one thing and another it's fallen through, and actually I'm quite tired after all that sitting down and still need to clear up ready for the piano tuner tomorrow, so it's a good thing.

Lots of stuff has piled up round the piano due to the decorating and I really don't know where to start... The hall is just as bad but I'm not too worried about that. Will see you when I emerge...

Spending:
    Housekeeping 5.43
    Household (this from the account DH's money goes into) 5.98.
    Garden 4.00 (compost and seeds)
    MS:
    Not a good day for MS as I had to buy lunch, but good in that we've not had to pay a decorator to do the ceiling. Also trimmed my hair, thus saving at hairdresser.
    Decluttering:
    2 pieces of paper so far

I'm grateful today for an evening off!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 15-05-2019 at 11:00 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th May 19, 10:59 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A few bits and pieces to add:

Gift 40.00 (train fare for DD and me to go on her birthday trip).

Some progress made on decluttering: 23 pieces of paper and the inner bit of an empty reel of Sellotape (no idea why we had that!). I've also filed three items and put away some random unused Christmas cards so those aren't clutter any more. So 28 to add to the total.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 14-05-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th May 19, 7:58 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,849 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad the ceiling is painted and looks nice .

I often find that I'm too tired to go out in the evening, especially after gardening!
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 66
    PREMIUM BONDS = 50
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th May 19, 10:52 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another day of perfect weather and productive, too! I was rushing round this morning but didn't manage to get the place straight before the piano tuner and my friend turned up (they are married to each other). I had to wash down garden chairs as they had overwintered under the trees, but we sat out catching up on each other's news and drinking coffee in the sun - a lovely way to spend an hour or so. The piano is now tuned and sounding good, and I've been advised to keep an eye on the humidity to keep it in tune (apparently the sound board moves if the humidity changes). I can't, of course, remember the name of the gadget that does this but I can find out.

I spent the afternoon painting. L has done the entire bathroom, I've done the outdoor woodwork apart from windows and doors, and a couple of bits indoors where electrical cables had been installed. There is undoubtedly an area of damp due to the construction of a bay window so we will need to get the chap who fixed the problem at the other side of the house. I don't remember what he charged but his work has lasted.

I did take a break for long enough to get some shopping and pick up the train tickets for tomorrow, and actually did the last bits of outdoor painting by torch light! It was one of those items where the paint has to dry on one side before you can turn it to do the other. So I'm pretty tired but satisfied with what we've both got done.

Spending:
    Hobbies (piano tuning) 85.00
    Housekeeping 15.19 (I was a bit annoyed because the sample dishwasher tablets haven't come yet, though the laundry ones have, so I had to spend 5 on dishwasher tablets. I'm also slightly guilty that I got the cheaper ones instead of the eco-friendly ones).
    Household 28.00 (lots of paint)
    Garden 3.99
    Toiletries 1.50
    MS:
    10th coins 1.20
    Saved some exorbitant amount of decorator's fees between us.
    Decluttering:
    Four paper items, a book rehomed to a friend. However I think the house looks considerably better now the bathroom and lounge are repainted and the door steps, shed and compost bin smartened up. I mean, there's a long way to go but this is definitely better even though there are nearly as many things as ever.
    Today I'm grateful for the weather, L for doing so much to help with the decorating, and good news for SA elsewhere on these boards.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th May 19, 11:09 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A mixed news day today. On the positive side, DD and I had a lovely time: shopping, lunch and theatre. The production was outstanding. Less positively (depending on viewpoint) DFiL has had a meeting about his care needs and it's clear he can't go back to living alone as his long term condition has deteriorated and he now needs nursing care. It's sad that he isn't as well as he was, but good that he will get the care he needs. The search for a place for him has been going on for a few weeks but now we know it's definitely nursing care, the choice is narrowed.

DH has had a cough for weeks (has been to the doctor and had a chest x-ray and blood tests whch confirmed he still has the infection that began in March). The cough is getting worse, though an inhaler helps. It seems to be the result of inflamation: I'm not sure whether that's the cause or result of the cough, or a bit of both. I'm wondering if the lingering paint fumes in the house, though slight as it's modern low-odour paint, aren't helping.

DS2 is also in the wars. Things aren't looking good with one aspect of his studies and he's very stressed over it, with a deadline looming. I've told him I won't think any less of him as I know he's worked hard, and maybe he can retake the year if necessary. A very tough one especially, I think, as he's worn out and I do wonder if he could cope in the longer term with the physical demands of his chosen career.

So, not one of those days to repeat too often, though as I said, the theatre was superb and DD and I enjoyed ourselves. We did manage a little bit of shopping though I only bought hair scrunchies, a glasses case and programmes for the production. DD treated us to a delicious lunch and coffee afterwards (we kept moving to the back of the queue at the theatre so we could finish the coffees before going in!)

Spending:
    Clothes (scrunchies and glasses case - not sure where else to put these!) 6.99
    Entertainment (programmes) 8.00
    MS:
    Lunch bought by DD.

Today I'm thnkful for a good birthday treat for DD, confirmation that DFiL will have the care he needs one way or another, and inhalers to help DH. Also for a conversation with DS2 about his situation.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th May 19, 9:54 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent yesterday, and another family dissertation deadline of midnight last night (plus proofreading for me). However it's all sent off now, everyone's had some sleep and it's a drizzly day by the looks of it, and not so warm. DH has gone to an appointment, DS2 will be working nights tonight, J and L are out on a run and I have to make some plans to get something done before work.
    My options are indoor painting (but I don't like the house to smell of paint), getting some bits of groceries (good idea) and planting up the wall baskets (nice). First I need to get dressed (!) or nothing will get started.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 19, 8:26 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,849 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you manage to find a suitable place for DFIL to live and that DH gets over his infection soon, that's a long time to have one. I hope DS2 gets on all right with his studies and does better than he thinks. Family do cause us a lot of worries because we care about them so much.

Your day with DD sounds lovely .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 66
    PREMIUM BONDS = 50
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th May 19, 10:54 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    DH and DFiL went to look at one nursing home (one that isn't so well spoken of - don't know why they went there first). DFiL seemed to think it was okay but DH said it's 60 beds and a very crowded dining area. Someone I know worked there so I know it's a pressured job (as in so many places) but I can't believe a 60 bed unit can be entirely safe as the staff are spread thinly and how can they really know all the people they support? Mind you it's probably divided into areas as was the one Mum was in, so staff know the people in their area.

Tomorrow they are going to look at the most expensive one in the area. I went there when I had to look for a place for Mum and it was like a hotel so I expect DFiL will take to it! As things are he can afford it and the meeting we had a couple of months ago has led to him getting partial funding for nursing care which will help.

DH is coughing less now - we are wondering if there was a lot of pollen on the day he was bad, or if the paint fumes affected him. I'm also picking up on stories from far and near of what sounds like the same infection in a less severe form. However DH was on a medication which would have reduced his resistance back in March so that, combined with the hassles over his job, probably made him more than usually susceptible.

DS2 is working tonight and J and L are away till tomorrow evening. DH and I went looking for carpets but haven't settled on a definite. I've identified two smallish areas of DIY that I want to tackle in the next few days in the hope they will magically transform the entire house and make next weekend's guests impressed.

Work was tiring today and I didn't leave till gone 10 as I had so much to write up. However what with one thing and another there was too much dinner prepared and we aren't allowed to reheat so I got a free dinner today and put some aside for me tomorrow and for any other staff who want some - it was delicious.

Spending:
    Housekeeping 9.11
    This is 4.81 over budget for the week.
    MS:
    Tomorrow's dinner is a large free range chicken at just under half price.
    Free meals at work so a spare dinner in the freezer that I had bought for today.
    No 10th coin to save but I found 13p in small change so I'll add that to the savings envelope.
    2 coin squirreled away.

No decluttering.

I'm thankful for DH and I both liking the same carpets and Sunday tomorrow.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th May 19, 10:59 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    NSD.

DFiL seems likely to go to the nursing home they went to see today, provided they think they can meet his needs. It's within reach of here on foot which is good - expensive, which is tough but he can afford to go there for the time being and I'm hoping it may mean a better staff to patient ratio.

Work was okay with a bit of juggling of future shifts, especially as I discovered I'm actually off tomorrow when I didn't expect to be. I think I'll go and do the garden, though, if the weather holds. (I did our grass today in a big hurry before work but at least it's done). I then realised I wouldn't be able to vote if I went to do some clearing on Mum's old house as I'd planned. That would make two votes I'd accidentally cheated myself out of, and I already have a commitment on Tuesday which means I can't go earlier in the week. I'd also like to go to a live relay of the same show DD and I saw recently, which is only on midweek, and a friend has said she'd be interested in going with me.

I've had a look at my rotas and the following week is really heavy, so a trip away this week, which always tires me, doesn't sit easily with that. However, I have three days off together the following week which I could use to go on the trip - a week earlier than my usual slot but a relative has asked to visit on the week I'd usually go so it would be a bit awkward to be away when she's here. So it's looking as if I try to go for the early June week instead, which gives me this week to do the things I want to do and hopefully even make progress on our own house. It also means I have a bit more time to work in the garden at work - my 'second job' - and show them I mean business.

I think I've confused myself thinking about it! I will need to take some annual leave to get the house empty: these snatched days are just not enough, so I need to plan for that too.

Today I'm glad we had H and A here to dinner: haven't seen them properly for some time. A has nearly finished his degree work so things should ease for them for a few weeks, then H has some commitments which will take up her spare time for much of the rest of the year. In other news: DS2 has mentioned that there may be work opportunities that offer a broad basis of experience, available for him when he finishes his course in September.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 19-05-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,306Posts Today

6,694Users online

Martin's Twitter