Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 2nd Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 2,681Posts
    • 16,789Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 2nd Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    Cherry takes the reins 2nd Mar 17 at 11:10 PM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 79
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Apr 19, 8:55 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Some more spending today, and I'm temporarily locked out of my accounts having run a clean-up programme on the computer. The key to the passwords is out of reach due to all the stuff that's been moved out of the lounge! A few days in and I'm thoroughly fed up with all this mess - which I guess is how the family usually feels with the levels of clutter I'm near enough comfortable with. The best solution seems to be to chip away at things.

Meanwhile my everyday jeans are wearing out so I made good use of a free hour and a half and tracked down a nice pair in a charity shop for all of £2.99! They have embroidery on which makes me happy, too. I also went on a hunt for a good way to carry my crochet hooks when travelling and ended up with yet another project: a DIY case which of course is yet more sewing.

DH has been much better today though come the late afternoon the headache and temperature came back so he has decided not to go back to work tomorrow - to my relief. Other than that I had yet another training session at work - I've never had so many since I started, years ago but they are preparing to extend the service and I'd been at the forefront of moaning that we didn't have the training, so I can't complain too much. I've also been messaging my sister in law who is trying to find the best accommodation for her dad. I had information as some of my colleagues have insider knowledge on these things which has been really helpful.

Well, some degree of progress is going to be useful for my peace of mind, so I'll post my list for now and see what I can improve around here.

Spending:
    Housekeeping £3.60
    Clothing £2.99
    Hobbies £4.45? (Can't find the receipt)
    MS:
    10th coins 30p
    Decluttered:
    2 books put aside for my niece, 2 oddments of paper to recycling, 1 of 3 jars of mayo actually finished (takes much longer when there are 3 jars on the go and all opened).
    Tonight I'm thankful that DH has been a lot better (though he's got past the more-or-less-compliant stage and is emerging into worrying about what I call minor things again). Also I'm grateful to my colleagues all piling in with useful experience to do with elder care facilities. And I like my happy jeans.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 10-04-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 543/2019 as of 17/4/19
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Apr 19, 9:19 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 68,488 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad that DH is feeling a bit better and that you are still hearing from DS2 . Those jeans were a bargain!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    Goal - buy £50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = £0
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Apr 19, 10:14 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Phew - the wallpapering is done! It looks nice even though it's just lining paper and I paid straight away, hence high spends today. They have also replaced the ceiling bit of the bay window that was warped from rain coming in years ago. Then I went into the relevant account and moved the rest of DH's last month's pay into savings. There is now a big debate in the fudge household as to what colour we want the walls... I also asked the decorator for a ballpark figure to paint the lounge - ceiling down to skirting. I think although it costs a lot more than doing it ourselves, it's dragged on so long and neither of us has time or energy to tackle it. Once it's done we can relax in there however messy and in need of decorating the rest of the house is.

As for DH, he's still off work and feeling less than 100% but although he's tired and 'chesty' (the cough came back!), he seems quite a bit better. He went to the doctor this morning and got sent for a chest x-ray so we have a little more info: it's an upper respiratory tract infection. Cue a different set of antibiotics with a supporting cast of other stuff which he is refusing to take. At least he's on the antibiotics. There was no persuading him to take the other stuff so I suggested he ask a friend who's a pharmacist, and I'm keeping off the subject for now.

I spent a while doing some deep cleaning before putting furniture back, so it doesn't look too bad though we seem to have cables everywhere. I have a cable tidy in my @mazon basket and once DS2 gets home I'll ask him if he still gets free delivery... always worth a try.

Not a huge amount of housekeeping shopping today - bin liners, curry sauce and pineapple.

Spending:
    Household £230.00
    Housekeeping £3.65
    MS:
    10th coins £1.20
    Decluttering:
    Went through an old box of stationery and found some non-working items, also decisively threw out two bags of sweet chestnuts that have been in the cupboard since Christmas! Much as I love chestnuts, I know that by now they will be past their best. I've donated them to the compost, along with a bag of greenish sprouted potatoes.

Today I'm grateful for the improvement in DH's health, a message from DS2 asking to join us for Sunday dinner, some degree of normality restored to the lounge (and consequent space elsewhere) and clean skirting boards (my contribution to the decorating).
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Apr 19, 6:05 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 7,731 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Glad they are getting your DH sorted out. Hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and sort the infection out.
    paydbx2019 #93 £572.38/£10,100 .
    School trips £1016/£1269..
    EF £210
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Apr 19, 10:46 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent today. I was supposed to buy yogurt but DH got it for me.

Dh is much better! Not maybe 100% but certainly much better. This is timely as we had a call from DFiL's social worker to say a 'step down' (i.e. interim) place has been arranged for him at the facility my colleagues spoke well of, but he needs to move by Monday. We think if we take him to inspect it tomorrow he can decide if he's happy to go there, then A has agree to transport him there on Sunday. All very sudden especially as DFiL has already paid in advance for his room where he currently is, but it means up to 6 weeks of supervised living there and an assessment of his needs.

So I will keep you posted.

P.S. This residential care for older people lark is nearly as bad as buying property in London in the Eighties, and I've seen both!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Apr 19, 10:58 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The visit to DFiL's temporary place was very successful: he says he's impressed, and he is beginning to regain confidence in his ability to stand and move between seats. I got talking shop with a member of staff and liked the place, DH was grinning because he used to go there years ago to visit a former neighbour and DFiL was shown round what used to be her flat, so there were some positive memories. DFiL moves tomorrow: it's not a full-scale move, just the things he's had at the nursing home for the past few weeks. My only concern is that I would struggle to visit him on my own as it's further away and certainly I'd be worn out if I took him to any appointments. However I know that they try to support people to go shopping and I expect I could look into wheelchair-friendly taxies.

DH took us out for lunch after, which was nice for DFiL as it was a piece of normal life after weeks in hospital or the care home. DH is so much better, too, but three hours looking after his Dad and being on the go wore him out so he had a restful afternoon.

I gave DH the rest of the housekeeping money to buy things for Sunday dinner as I've been at work this evening (£18.49 spent), so I only have a few pennies left of it, but I think we will be well in budget this week.

DS2 sent me a photo of himself and his travelling companion just before they caught their flight home. Great that we should see him some time tomorrow though I may have to be in work by the time he actually arrives. I haven't been all that anxious after the first few days of their absence, but I was terribly wound up beforehand. However they seem to have enjoyed themselves and avoided falling foul of any local laws or running out of money. Still I'll be glad to see him again!

I haven't actually spent anything myself today: DH said the lunch out was about £30 and I raided the carrier bag stash for his housekeeping receipt - £18.39 and 18 loyalty points for me to womble later!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 16-04-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Apr 19, 11:07 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    By way of a P.S. I found an article that referred to this scheme to enhance savings for people on low incomes. I'm not eligible but perhaps some reading this might be? It's a good deal if you can get it, though of course it's hard to save when your income is very low.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Apr 19, 7:11 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 7,731 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I had an invitation in the post last week, from HMRC, to open one of these accounts. It's a good idea.

Glad your DFIL was happy with the visit and hope the move goes smoothly today.
    paydbx2019 #93 £572.38/£10,100 .
    School trips £1016/£1269..
    EF £210
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Apr 19, 7:28 AM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,776 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad DH is on the mend and DS2 is homeward bound without any mishaps on his travels. Also good to hear DFIL is sorted with what sounds like a nice temporary place. Will he be able to go back home at some stage or will you have to look for something permanent for him?

Enjoy your Sunday
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £201.59
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Apr 19, 9:58 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another day with nothing financial to report!

DFiL has apparently moved successfully, thanks. He could be there up to six weeks and depending how it goes will either go back to his own place or back to the care home pending a place with a suitable level of support becoming available.

DS2 turned up at midday, needing a rest but otherwise seeming happy enough. Between his rest and my work I haven't had much opportunity to catch up with him but at least he's back.

DD ran another half marathon - I don't know how her time was but she does it because she enjoys it, and she had a catch-up with a University friend later so I think she's enjoyed her day.

Work wasn't too good: we are having real problems with staffing and people are feeling down. It's normally a great place to work so this isn't good.

In other news, I really feel like booking a day off and trawling Primarni. This is ridiculous as I don't need anything from there and there's very little leeway for days off in the near future. I think that may be why I feel I could do with one! My sister is over for a week and I was thinking of meeting up with her on Tuesday but she's booked something else so that may not happen. Tuesday is needed for other stuff too so I can't go as far as Primarni without causing ripples elsewhere. Isn't it daft, the things the mind drifts after to relieve a bit of pressure?!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Apr 19, 9:23 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 32,664 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Glad DH is feeling better, hope that's him on the road back to 100% now?

Glad DS is back safely

Hope work settles down

Take care of you too!

xx
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Apr 19, 11:05 AM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks Wannabe. Yes, DH is back at work today... might just make it a half day as a few hours on Saturday wiped him out. But then again knowing him he will stay all day. He's just texted to say his colleague is off sick so he doesn't have a meeting he'd expected. That will enable him to catch up a bit on mails from last week.
    My sister is trying to change her schedule so we can meet up tomorrow: looking at the calendar I realised I have more time off than I'd thought, as I'm probably not needed on shift till Thursday/Friday which are my usual hours, then I actually have next weekend off as well! However A has a birthday and it's Easter so it won't be a do-nothing weekend.
    This morning I got my blood test done - routine - then came back for breakfast and I'm still here so I need to get myself down to the shops for supplies, put some washing in the machine and maybe even do some other housework. I'm also exchanging various planning texts with family, it's so much more difficult when we aren't in the same room.
    I also need to get my head round an email I want to send to management about the staffing situation.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Apr 19, 10:41 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Lots of washing done, email sent, frantic dash to the shops before work, shift went okay. I'm slightly worried I might have worded my email a bit less diplomatically than I'd like, but I stand by what I say. Anyway I'm off till Thursday so perhaps the dust will have settled by then!

DH texted while I was at work to say he'd got my shopping, which is very kind. He didn't realise I'd just forgotten the list, so now we are rather well off for bread and stuff as I got what I remembered from it.

The meet-up with my sister is still on so I'll have an early night and hope to catch the train in good time tomorrow.

Spending:
    Housekeeping £5.17 (that's just my spending: not counting the £12.79 when DH bought my whole list apart from mascara which he decided wasn't his remit).
    MS:
    Finally got my timesheet for March sent in. There are some extra hours on there which I won't get till the end of May now but at least the claim is in.
    Withdrew a day's leave as the event I'd been planning to attend on that day is cancelled. However it means I'll be paid at Bank Holiday rates for that shift which is nice. (It also means I won't be at the car boot sale spending money ).
    Decluttering:
    On hold for a few days.
    I'm grateful for a better day at work for both me and DH, DFiL liking his temporary place anda trip out for me tomorrow.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Apr 19, 11:00 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've had my day out with my sister and niece: spent more than I expected but otherwise it was nice. I took them some books for a hobby of theirs which have been taking up space here but which I am very unlikely ever to use. I felt guilty after that as my sister then went and bought a bag to carry them home in! From something else she said I think their income, which is variable, isn't so good at the moment.

My sister paid for hot drinks when we met up so I said I'd pay for something later but it was all a bit complicated. We went round a market and she bought me a couple of pieces for my dolls' house (these are so hard to resist!) as an early Christmas present (we don't see each other very often). She had already given me a birthday present so I have been well and truly treated. I bought a tiny item for the house as well. We then got side-tracked to another stall with olives and suchlike and I let myself be talked into buying a tub of expensive garlic by the stall holder. Really I spent too much though it is delicious.

On to lunch, where my sister paid again but I insisted on paying back. Of course I didn't have the right money so I gave her a fiver and later in the day when I'd been to the till and owed her for my share of some posh sweets as well, I gave her a tenner. This theoretically means I'm out of pocket but in practice is about right as it lets me pay for the coffee I had earlier apart from about 50p, and she was in a big rush to get their train so I don't think she noticed.

I made my way back home, stopping at local shops to get myself a new mascara (my old one smells bad and according to an article I read that means it's going off). I resisted my favourite shampoo at half price as I want to get back to using bar shampoo over the summer and I have some of that already. I did pop to Mr T for a pizza and coffee and found some laundry tablets at a reduced price too.

I've had a reply to my email about work which isn't satisfactory but I'm not even drafting a response tonight. I hope to have time and a good focus tomorrow and there's no point stirring things up more than absolutely necessary, which will happen if I hurry it.

Also tomorrow my sister-in-law and her DH are in the area so we are meeting up for a meal, so this week isn't going to be cheap. Back to the lentil and chorizo soup on Thursday, I think! It will be good to see SiL and BiL, though.

Spending:
    Travel £10.30
    Gift (fudge) £4.25 + £4.42
    Hobby £1.50
    Lunch £6.33
    Toiletries/makeup £7.99
    Housekeeping £17.50
    Confessions:
    Succumbed to expensive garlic! Also might have saved more if I'd had a printed map of the area rather than my hiccupping phone maps which jump or don't load - we could have had better choice of eateries for a start but never mind.
    MS:
    Took a snack and water for the home journey: resisted the coffee trolley!
    Wombled 32p
    Cheap laundry capsules.
    Resisted shampoo that I don't really need.
    Decluttering:
    10 books and a handful of paper.

Today I'm thankful for a good day with family and the sense not to go back into the city for more shopping after I'd seen them off! Also for a clever colleague who is good at putting things into words. Oh, and 20,000 steps!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 16-04-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Apr 19, 10:29 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I bought Easter eggs today though only about half the ones I want for family - they're bulky to carry though! They come under 'gifts' so not too bad for the housekeeping.
    We had a meal out with various family members this evening: the food was very good and it was nice seeing my inlaws as well as DS2, A and H who we don't see as often now they have their own place. DBiL paid for the meal which we weren't expecting but is typical of them, so a nice note to end the evening.
    On a less positive note, DH is in a not-so-good work situation. It's been coming for a while and is coming to a head, so that's hanging over us a bit. I still haven't sent a reply to the discussion I'm in with my manager - I don't let these things go easily but I'm being careful. No point in stirring things up more than's needed but it could save some longer term stress for all of us if I can persuade him of one or two things. Sometimes I would really like to be one of those peaceable people who can let it all just flow over them, but if I were, would that actually do any good?

Spending:
    Gifts: £10.50
    Housekeeping £1.25
    MS:
    10th coin 2p
    £2 coin
    Decluttering:
    A small bag down to charity, mostly things that have been hanging around waiting. Advertised an item on FB marketpl@ce but no response yet.
    I'm thankful today for family times, new leaves turning green and warmer weather.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Apr 19, 8:50 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 68,488 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry about DH's situation. I hope a solution can be found.

I'm glad DS got home from his travels safely .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    Goal - buy £50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = £0
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Apr 19, 10:59 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks HH. It's really looking as though DH may be out of a job some time in the next few months... in most ways it would reduce the stress on him considerably but then of course there's the money and the whole self-esteem side of things.

However, it's been a beautiful warm day, my work was a good balance of activities and I scored a very few tiny brownie points by cooking the dinner head of time for the late shift. I also got time out of doors with a client in the sunshine and managed not to treat myself to a coffee while doing do.

After work I walked right out of town to get A's birthday present and spent some vouchers I'd had for ages on a treat for myself (not coffee for once). I also discovered I have a voucher that's two years out of date so I feel guilty that someone's wasted their money. I need to go through them as I tend to stash them against the perfect purchase which doesn't often come.

A's birthday present is bought and I spent more than I'd usually have done as we spent more for J earlier this month too.

On the way home I completed the Easter egg buying and got some groceries.

I've found my bank login again so I need to get back into the swing of things with that. I realise we're theoretically in a position to pay off the mortgage but it would leave us without a realistic buffer against the drop in income we'd have if DH loses his job. On the other hand my income would effectively increase as I'd no longer be paying either the mortgage or the overpayments. I had hoped to channel that extra into a pension but that's looking less likely now, and anyway I think DH would worry tremendously if I depleted our savings, so I'd better not.

Just to clarify and save confusion, he is a specialist of sorts so there are only so many jobs to be had, and being at the stage of life we're at, new ones are apparently harder to come by.

Anyway it's all theoretical at present so I will get some sleep soon as I have work again tomorrow.

Spending:
    Gifts (including a little one for J come Christmas) £52.50
    Gifts (Easter eggs) £3.00
    Housekeeping: £4.49
    Hobby £9.99 (paid using a voucher so free to me)
    Hobby £6.99
    MS:
    Avoided a coffee while out.
    Really cheap Easter eggs (Bee andEm)
    Bought the G@rdeners' World magazine which has the 2 for 1 discounts for all sorts of gardens this year, plus seeds galore.
    No decluttering today.

I'm thankful today for a good day at work and the sunshine and lots of steps achieved - also for the ability to buy A something nice.
    10th coin saved: £1.00
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 18-04-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Apr 19, 10:11 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent today but have inadvertently gone over a deadline for my increment at work so it looks as though I won't get it this year after all. My own fault I suppose for not reading the letter in detail. I was mad at first but when I got home DH had started to paint the lounge (doing this could save us more than the increment would have paid me over a year!) and we went for a walk in the glorious hot sunshine, and by the time we got back I felt much more chilled.

I'm so tired tonight! 55,000 steps since Tuesday, and two early shifts after late nights. It's lovely to have the weekend off!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Apr 19, 6:22 AM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,776 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good idea to hold on to the savings rather than pay off the mortgage. You might need the cash if DH loses his job.

Glad you feel more chilled, enjoy your weekend off
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £201.59
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Apr 19, 2:27 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 16,789 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think so, Sun Addict, though I'm going to try to keep overpaying. It's addictive.

Yet another lovely warm sunny day so we went car booting. DH managed not to buy anything. I managed not to buy everything. Resisted some kitchen gadgets and some really gorgeous shoes that were either too loose on the heel or would have required me to buy some new trousers so I'd have something to wear them with.

I came away with a rhubarb plant £2), two small balls of wool (40p), a toasting fork (£1) to match a hearth brush I have from my parents' house and a pot that says 'spring onions' (£1) as I annoy the family by keeping spring onions in a jug on the side in the kitchen. Now I can annoy them with a specialist container instead - and it doesn't take as much space.

There will be more to report later as I'm getting drinks to take to A's birthday and some food for tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,427Posts Today

4,112Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin