Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 2,204Posts
    • 13,044Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 54
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 2nd Aug 18, 4:56 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 5,976 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Wood burning stoves are fab. I love ours and makes the winter evenings cosy and warm. It's surprising how much heat they can give out. Have fun choosing!!
    paydbx #93 £929.08/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 2nd Aug 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Wood burning stoves are fab. I love ours and makes the winter evenings cosy and warm. It's surprising how much heat they can give out. Have fun choosing!!
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    I'm really looking forward to it.

4.56 am Were you being early or late, Honeysucklelou2?
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,942.07/£3000 as of 3/12/18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 2nd Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    An extra trip to the 'orspital following some swelling over the weekend, but the doctor had a look at the x-rays and all is well. Long story short, it was probably a stage in the scar healing, and it's definitely more bendable than it was.

So there was a train fare and a coffee in town (which tends to make me think of WannabeFree and a lot of time spent mooching fruitlessly around the shops. I think I need to learn that if I've been to the big shops recently, I didn't necessarily need to go because once is a treat and twice is a waste of time. I did get a few bits from Mr Al but I'm okay with that.

Lots and lots of steps (18K so far) but no decluttering. Not sure I'll have enough impetus to do any, either.

Spending:
    Travel £12.50
    Coffee (entertainment?) £3.25
    Housekeeping £3.83
    Gift £4.99
    MS:
    Split train ticket saving £3.51
    Small cappuccino not my usual medium saving 20p
    Wombled 5p
    £2 coin
    10th coin savings 0
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 02-08-2018 at 9:39 PM.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 2nd Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Wow, well done on the steps that's amazing,I'm glad to see your arm is healing well
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,519 Total Now Owed = £16,111
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £190
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 2nd Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 5,976 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Glad your arm is healing well.

I was early! Sometimes it's the elderly dog, rather than the children, that wakes me!
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Total steps for yesterday came in at 23,206, so I was tired this morning! However I got 8 hours of sleep which is almost unheard of, but very nice.

For some reason I'm into a season of procrastination, and I'm not sure why. I know the mood well: if there's something hanging over me that I'm not looking forward to, it affects everything else. I think there are three possible causes: I'm back at work so my days aren't entirely mine any more (but work is okay and the social side of it helps me), I am about well enough to go and do some more sorting on Mum's old house, which I don't look forward to but needs to be done and we have the big holiday coming up soon, which might in fact be the trigger. On one hand I'm quite excited but on the other, going away from home stresses me. With that in mind I think I need to start a list of things to take so I feel more in control.

DH and I have also been having some discussions as he's (in my opinion) overcommitted with work, looking after his Dad and some voluntary things he's agreed to. He can justify each individually but I don't think he can see that he's juggling and the solutions he has in mind are only shifting things around instead of taking the pressure off permanently. He's at the stage where it's affecting his work but he doesn't want to stop any voluntary commitments and it's unlikely work would allow him to go part time. He also says he doesn't want to reduce his salary, which is funny really because he hates dealing with money and doesn't know what he earns. He just knows we have enough for now to have our holiday and get the work done for the stove, and those are nice things that he doesn't want to let go.

I'm off to make a being-in-control-of-the-holiday list.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another visit to the car boot sale this morning, and I think I've mostly spent wisely. A Per Un@ jumper for £1 - it's even in a colour I'd been considering for a cardigan, and will help me not to have such a blue and grey winter as last year. Two plants, which I didn't really need but were along lines I'd been thinking of for containers, and a beautifully glazed pudding bowl which may or may not be used for Christmas puds.

Probably still got food shopping to do, so a proper update later.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Aug 18, 11:36 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've just realised I didn't total up yesterday. We had leftovers from the freezer for tea so I don't think I spent anything but I did get some loyalty card points added to my card from a couple of receipts: a profitable wombling session! This afternoon DH and I pooled our remaining housekeeping change and I paid the balance of the grocery bill on the debit card so I'm not sure exactly what I spent but as I didn't get all the housekeeping allowance out this week, I know we're under. I think we've managed to undercut our allowance by about a fiver. I'll do the maths in a minute. (it was £5.03). I also wombled a couple more receipts today.

DH is cooking tomorrow, a favourite recipe of his. I am convinced we could do an equivalent for a lot less so I've told him that I'll make it one day and see if he can taste the difference. For instance, the recipe asks for tinned cherry tomatoes, so that's what he puts in. They're a pound a tin! I would put tinned plum tomatoes costing 29p instead. He did find sausages on half price, though, so I'm not arguing with that.

3/8/18
    NSD
    MS:
    Wombled 30p
    Dinner from freezer.
    4/8/18 Spending:
    Clothes £1.00
    Garden £3.00
    Household £0.50
    Housekeeping £12.86
    MS:
    Wombled 22p
    No 10th coin savings as there aren't 10 coins in my purse!
    Decluttering:
    2 boxes of garden rubbish to the tip (things that won't compost)
    2 bags packed to go to charity (still haven't taken the bag I did the other day).
    Binned a couple of items from under the stairs but don't get excited. They were small.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 04-08-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Aug 18, 7:22 AM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 44,869 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Just caught up with you Cherry - your diary moves rather fast Glad your arm is healing. I still get random pains in my ankle, nearly two years after I broke it - and it's still swollen. Every time I read your diary it reminds me how much decluttering I have to do - I also have a cupboard under the stairs which gets decluttered on a regular basis but still ends up a mess!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 £21.63
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Aug 18, 11:38 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    At least your under stairs gets regular attention, Sun Addict! Mine is most kindly described as 'sporadic'. I was shocked how grimy the shelves were the other day, but it's a bit better now.

Nothing much to report today: nothing spent, nothing money-saving unless you count not buying a book I liked the look of, a handful of papers decluttered and half a box of twigs from the garden.

I think I need some sleep.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    6/8/18
    NSD
    Wombled 24p
    6 pieces of money in my purse so no 10th coin savings
    Bumped into DH at the supermarket so he paid for the groceries .

As for today: a day off which I've spent on laundry so far. Several loads of washing done, lots of ironing too, and most is put away. I'm having a break before getting the shopping.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,051 Posts
    • 18,682 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    You've probably explained this but what is the 10th coin saving? Sorry if that's a really stupid question

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Aug 18, 11:43 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You've probably explained this but what is the 10th coin saving? Sorry if that's a really stupid question

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Not a silly question at all, W - a few months ago I read a book called 'The Richest Man in Babylon' which suggested, among other things, saving every 10th coin in your purse. I've been surprised how much it adds up - when I get enough together the aim is to stash it in a higher interest account.
    Sometimes it grows faster than others - if I'm feeling better off the 10th coin might be a pound, but some days it's copper!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Aug 18, 12:01 AM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Having cleared the ironing, there's now some more, but never mind. I watched 'Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners' as I ironed - I find I get more cleaning done if I do that! I'm not really happy with the programme as a whole though. It's the not-clean people who seem to come out worse, with no real emphasis on the other side of the equation. I think it's the 'yuck' factor and the voyeurism that sells the program .
    Other than wandering down the High Street looking unsuccessfully for an old fashioned fish slice (one that is cheap enough to have a thin blade and thus be able to get under things that are sticking themselves down in a not-non-stick pan), I haven't had much exercise. It was too hot to do anything in the garden.

Spending:
    Housekeeping £5.20
    Toiletries £5.19
    MS:
    Chick peas not chicken in the curry.
    Bought a super-intensive fabric conditioner in the hope of saving plastic and less shopping to carry. Not all that MS as, while it was on offer, it was still 1p more than my usual one.
    Did a load of laundry without fabric conditioner when I ran out. Also remembered to use a laundry ball on a 'feshen up' load.
    10th coin savings 20p.
    Put back my usual shampoo even though it was on offer - bought a bar shampoo instead, hopefully saving plastic and easier for travel, and should last a while.
    Deleted the sample pages of an interesting book that I probably wouldn't benefit from. ('A life less throwaway' by Tara Button).
    Decluttering:
    2 bags to charity (at last).
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The man came to measure up for a loft hatch and ladder, all sounding okay to me but DH is being a bit cautious: he wants the work done in the lounge first. I've stalled slightly by asking for more sample pictures. I liked two of the ones he showed us but we need to make other decisions (mantlepiece, lighting, surround etc.). Meanwhile I'm busily avoiding getting anything done about the new locks the insurance company wants on Mum's old house: today's displacement activity was whitening the grouting in the kitchen.

Work was okay this afternoon: maybe I'm getting more used to going as I didn't get tired. That came later as I did a MS walk to the other end of town where I can buy various groceries a lot cheaper at BeeandEm.

Spending:
    Housekeeping £11.98
    Also housekeeping - paid the milk bill £7.81
    MS:
    £5.32 saved on groceries
    2 x £2 coins in change
    Nothing for the 10th coin savings
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Aug 18, 9:38 AM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    We had some more photos from the man who does stoves and fireplaces as I wanted more ideas... then I got looking on the web. We've narrowed down to a few features we have decided we both like, but finding the right stove... still hasn't happened. Not really sure what a realistic budget is: £600+ for the stove itself seems about right (a lot of money ) then there's making the new fireplace and the cost of labour. The company comes with excellent recommendation from a family we know and has been in business quite a while so I think their prices are probably representative of the market for the area, but I haven't actually asked for a ball park figure yet.

Costs-wise, we may have extra coming up as DS2 has an emergency dental appointment this morning. I think it may be an abscess. He slept round the clock, or at least was absolutely silent, and he's feverish so the sooner it gets done the better, but dentists can be expensive so I've offered to help out.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Aug 18, 12:33 AM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Late post for 9/8/18.

I've just found out how useful these mutterings can be! I logged on to my credit card account and found a payment I didn't recognise, so I put the amount as a search term on this thread and it came up with a purchase I made a couple of months ago for some items I'd then returned. I didn't expect to see the amount because I thought it had long since been refunded, but it hasn't, so I need to follow it up.

Other than that, I've spent almost all my share of this week's housekeeping and as I'm once again about to make the trip over to Mum's old place, I will probably go over budget with buying milk and bits like that.

Spends:
    Holiday £3.75
    Housekeeping £9.11
    Train ticket (to be reclaimed from the estate) £52.08
    Household £0.90
    MS:
    Household item was a plant reduced to 90p.
    Saved £7 on fares by splitting the ticket AND discovered a cheaper time to travel
    Three travel books for our hols from charity shop
    Wombled 35p
    10th coin savings 10p
    YS cherries
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Aug 18, 12:40 AM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 13,044 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I meant to add above that DS's toothache turned out to be from a dead nerve and surrounding infection so it's been fixed temporarily and he goes back for root canal work in a couple of weeks. He's a lot more cheerful now he's not in pain but has been sleeping for England!

So far it hasn't cost me anything... better get saving though, my root canal/crown cost me a fortune, though it's lasted years.

I've also booked that locksmith!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 5,976 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Glad your DS is free from pain, dental pain is horrible.

Have you looked online for a stove design. In our last house we sourced a stove from a company in Scotland which came to just under £500.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My DD has a wood burner at her house,that one was around the £600 mark but they got it by bartering my Sils gardening skills,so he did some work on the persons garden in return for the stove and fitting,luckily the chimney was already sorted
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,519 Total Now Owed = £16,111
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £190
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,950Posts Today

6,224Users online

Martin's Twitter