Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 2,082Posts
    • 12,214Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank 3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that 3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 51
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 3rd Jul 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 8,690 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Sorry to butt in but just wanted to comment on the delivery of prescriptions, our local GP surgery sent a letter to everyone about the online system and tried to get everyone to stay with collecting from their pharmacy.

The online system is the NHS' way of trying to save money because if they fulfill prescriptions then they dont have to pay paharmacies to do it - I can see a lot of downsides and not to many upsides.

There are plenty of comments on line which are good and bad.

Personally I would rather support my local pharmacy, they know who we are, can help when there is a problem, they can speak to a GP immediately about any prescription query and also I worry that if more people get it through the post then pharmacies will close and where will that leave older people??

In my area some of the pharmacies offer delivery for free which works well especially for older people, my f-i-l had his delivered weekly and so did everyone else in his bloack.
    It worked really well.

I also worry about security, what if the prescription went missing, what if the wrong ones were delivered?
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Thanks EE and Cherry,
    That's answered my question! I also prefer to support the local pharmacies, it feels like the right thing to do these days with so much local business struggling to keep afloat. and as you say, if a prescription went astray it would be more hassle to get a replacement quickly/on time. Because my surgery has a dispensary it is so easy for the pharmacist to directly speak to a doctor and sort out any issues. Not to mention our RM deliveries leave a lot to be desired!
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt 72,520>>01/06/16 68166>01/02/17 66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=200,300 Jan17180,700>OCT17 170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 51
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 3rd Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 4,740 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    The Beeches is lovely - so stately! I'm with you, my dream dolls' house would be the sort of house I'd like to live in. I would like have a go at modelling things with clay for it too. I haven't done any more than clean mine so far. If you google Triang 1939 dolls house, mine is the double-fronted half-timbered style with a garage to the left.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I bought some air dry clay that I'm supposed to making Xmas decorations with but I might try and make a few bits with it for the dolls house,mind you I bought it about a year ago so it's probably no good now, ahhh good old Triang,I had a Triang dolls house when I was little from around 1963, it had a metal sliding front with trees painted on it,I looked it up last year and you can still get them as vintage items on fleabay but some of them were quite pricey,I will have a google for yours in a bit,I haven't touched mine for ages but it's something I can just pick up and leave when I feel like it,I tend to do more in the winter when I can't get outside x
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,440 Total Now Owed = 16,190
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 400
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Jul 18, 6:23 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Chrystal - I had a quick look and don't see anything about timings but it may be a bylaw. I don't want any awkwardness with him as he might be there for years and I'm sure my neighbours are all being very tolerant of my semi-tended garden, so I'm hoping he'll give it up of his own accord. However if it goes on being an issue I might be driven to say something, especially as gardens are so dry and ash is drifting.

OBL, I've just been thinking I feel about ready to start work on one of dolls' houses, but not the Triang one. I have one my Dad made me, so quite unique but it's been abandoned for years so needs some filler to start with, then some research to retile the roof.

Not much spent today: I had the morning at home and a friend came round for a couple of hours (we put the world to rights) then I had my physio and she's happy with my progress (good to hear after a week in which I've felt I was losing ground). Tonight's tea is Sunday's leftovers then I'm going to another friend's for the evening.

Clear blue sky yet again... I could get used to this, in fact I think I already am.

Spends:
    Housekeeping 0.85
    MS stuff:
    Leftovers for tea
    Avoided shops on way home
    10th coin savings 15p
    Decluttering
    A few bits of paper
    MFW #30 Paid off 3,535.94/3000 as of 6/11/18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jul 18, 9:13 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    We lost the blue sky all morning - glad to see it back again though the garden is parched.

J popped in for lunch so, as I had a bit of notice, I treated us to cheese, salami and salad. Plenty left for other days.

I don't have a huge amount to show for today but I made lentil and chorizo soup again and I think I promised to put the recipe up here. I can't remember where I found it and looking online is just uncovering lots of variations - but it is the sort of thing that you can leave ingredients out or change proportions or add things you have lurking in the kitchen.

Red lentil and chorizo soup
    Serves 6
    Slow cook for 3.5 hours or stove top for about 35-40 minutes or until lentils are soft. Preparation about 15 minutes.

200g chorizo (1/3 to 1/2 a sausage of chorizo) chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 red peppers, chopped
    3 carrots, chopped
    1 large leek, chopped
    150g red lentils, rinsed
    1 tin cheap baked beans, rinsed
    1 tsp. smoked paprika
    750 ml chicken or vegetable stock
    Approx 500 ml water to add till it gets to a consistency you like.

Preheat the slow cooker. Add all ingredients except the garnish and slow cook for 2 hours on high or 3.5 hours on low or 35-40 minutes on stove top. When cooked, remove from the heat and blend.

To serve (optional)
    Fresh flat-leaved parsley sprigs
    6 tbsp sour cream
    6 slices wholemeal bread

We have a couple of portions left over to go in the freezer (if I can find space).

Spends:
    Housekeeping 9.99

MS stuff:
    Getting better at buying exactly what I need, not spares.
    Cheap baked beans for recipe - saving 32p per tin over cannellini beans
    1 baking apple rather than a tin of apples - saving 33p
    fresh red onion (15p) rather than opening a bag of ready-chopped onions, saving about 10p
    Cheap cheese instead of posh slices (the posh slices might have been better: this was a bit non-descript and might need to be livened up for subsequent use)
    Sliced seeded bread instead of individual 'bakery' buns
    Confession time:
    Apples just because I fancied some with lunch - 1.60 for 6! I usually avoid buying apples in summer too, and we have loads of other fruit.
    Decluttering:
    None in the house, but boxed up lots of dry bramble twigs ready to go and cut some more down. The main blackberry patch is staying because it's covered in berries!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    How did I not know about this before? The 'Pink Tax'

I'll keep a look out for this as it could save more than pennies and I don't mind going blue.

And while I'm thinking about money saving categories I'm getting tired of calling one of my list 'MS stuff'. It seemed quirky or cute at first but now it's annoying me and I'm sure you'll all understand if it changes to 'MS' which is just the same thing.
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 5th Jul 18, 6:44 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 2,865 Thanks
    erin_transport
    Thanks for the link to that article.
    Interesting reading for sure.
    On a mission!

2018 MFW #138
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Jul 18, 11:58 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Various small bits and pieces bought today, plus a bit of gardening and some reading. I haven't abandoned 'The Millionaire Next Door' but he's been superseded by 'Early Retirement Extreme' which is fascinating.

DS2 is home! I think he's enjoyed himself... he liked Krakov especially. He's so brown, you'd think he'd spent the last couple of weeks in England!... Though it was grey all morning here.

Spends
    Gifts 1.98
    Housekeeping 3.82
    MS
    Cauliflowers super-cheap at greengrocer's so bought 2 and froze them ready for cauliflower cheese on Sunday
    Bought birthday cards at the Cancer Relief shop where they are only 99p but some nice designs and a good cause. Considering cards are made of small pieces of paper and mass-produced, they really do generally charge what they please, don't they? I'm not talking about ones that are made by small businesses, I mean the large ventures. I know they have to make a living, too, but I still feel I pay over the odds.
    10th coin savings 1.00
    Decluttering
    More brambles gone
    Used up a few salad things for lunch thus helping clear DS2's fridge shelf!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 06-07-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jul 18, 11:47 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Went into work to meet my manager today and had quite a nice time! Useful meeting: he has ideas about how to get me back into work on modified duties without impairing anyone's safety. I still have a few weeks to go on my current sick note though, and need to get a medical opinion before I can go back. It was nice to catch up with various people around the place too.

Other than that, I sorted some papers (!) and found a couple I had wanted. Time spent on one of those over the afternoon... another still to go.

I spent more than I'd really intended: there were a few items we'd run out of. I did bump into a friend in town and had a chat. She's someone I used to see a lot and as the kids grew older our paths just stopped crossing so it was nice to see her and her son who I babysat over one summer - now in his twenties!

DH had a work commitment this evening so (tea for one) I decided to be inventive with some oddments from the fridge. I rolled out the last of a pack of pastry, cut it into squares and added red pesto, salami, cheese and basil, folded the pastry over and baked it. In the end everyone except H sampled them and it sounds as though they are a keeper. Oh, and DH watched some football again - twice this week and possibly four times in his life!

Spends:
    Housekeeping 14.81
    Gift 1.00
    MS:
    Invented the little pastry parcels from bits we had in plus basil so fed us for an outlay of 1.25 of new ingredients
    DS2 found the kettle he'd used at Uni and donated it to the kitchen as our old one sprang a leak and we'd be making do with my travel kettle
    Went to buy organic milk but it was short dated so bought ordinary which is cheaper even if not my preferred option
    Went to various places to get lowest price on bin bags, cling film and sandwich bags - otherwise we will be spending more on sandwich wrapping than we need to.
    10th coin savings 20p
    Decluttering:
    A few handfuls of paper gone but no gardening done.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 06-07-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 43,964 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds like you've got a caring manager there Cherry. The soup sounds nice - I'd make it without the chorizo as I don't eat meat. I love smoked paprika

Hope you've had a good day today xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Jul 18, 11:57 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another beautiful sunny Saturday, another car boot this morning, another win for England this afternoon!
    Some small purchases this morning, but decided not to go grocery shopping in the afternoon as there's not enough fridge space to have a chicken overnight! We'll have to shop tomorrow and put it straight in to cook!

Other than that I got laundry done but nothing else that counts as housework. DS1 has started on the decorating for us and was getting stressed about it so I thought it's really not worth the hassle it's causing people. I told him we'd either finish it ourselves or get someone else in and I'd find another way he can help out, but he battled on. It probably helped that the big England match was on later so he wasn't faced with endless wallpaper! DH and I are still thinking about taking out the fireplace in that room and putting in a wood burning stove: it would modernise no end and might give more floor space as the existing hearth is quite big and the stove could be inserted into the chimney breast, which is quite deep as it was used for a back boiler. So we are one piece of wallpaper further forward! Really should be proactive and make a decision about the fireplace.

DH and I had an evening out! There was an event on in another town and we had dinner while we were there then had a wander round in the lovely evening light, really relaxing.

Spends
    Household 1.00 (wooden butter or shortbread mould)
    Garden 1.00 (2 terracotta plant pot dishes)
    Clothing 1.00 (3/4 sleeved black cardigan with a vee-neck - one of those things I've just not been able to find in the shops)
    Gifts 50.00 (for a special anniversary in the family)
    MS
    10th coin savings 0.00 - there are only 5 pieces of money in my purse!
    Confessions:
    Tea out... but DH paid
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 08-07-2018 at 12:20 AM.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 8th Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    Chrystal
    I'd definitely get the wood burning stove, worth it in so many ways... not the least of which are those really cosy winter evenings with the firelight making everything rosy.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 43,964 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad you had a lovely evening
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 4,740 Thanks
    Onebrokelady

I'll keep a look out for this as it could save more than pennies and I don't mind going blue.

And while I'm thinking about money saving categories I'm getting tired of calling one of my list 'MS stuff'. It seemed quirky or cute at first but now it's annoying me and I'm sure you'll all understand if it changes to 'MS' which is just the same thing.
    Im going to go blue when I next buy razors and deodorant that's for sure what a cheek,I knew we paid a high tax on sanitary products becasue they are considered a luxury but I didn't realise this happened on other things too,next time I'm in town I'm going to be doing some investigating and emailing of companies,
    People power pays off,I frequent a well known coffee shop and they were discontinuing my favourite sandwhich so I emailed the company,I got a generic reply back and thought nothing of it, just mourned the loss of my sand which,but I got chatting to one of the girls who work in my coffee shop and the next time I saw her she had been to an awards ceremony for the company and found herself sharing a table with one of the managing directors ,she told him how disappointed I was, I thought this was quite funny at the time but lo and behold I went in this week and my sandwhich is back and it's replaced the replacement sandwhich they brought out in the meal deal I can only assume that I wasn't the only one who complained so my point is if you have a beef with a company always challenge them becasue if enough individuals stick together they make changes
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 08-07-2018 at 9:57 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,440 Total Now Owed = 16,190
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 400
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Jul 18, 11:51 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    How lovely you got your sandwich back OBL! I am trying to do those till receipt surveys from time to time (only managed one recently) but I did include feedback about products that are no longer available. Perhaps they'll listen. And it we don't say, how will they know?

No progress on decorating or anything today: it's been a grand old day off. A&H had a walk and a picnic, and I got lots of groceries. I don't normally shop on a Sunday but we were short of fridge space so I decided to shop immediately before Sunday dinner. In the end I made a vegetarian chilli (using some of the peppers that were filling our side of the salad baskets and a couple of tins from the cupboard), and added cauliflower cheese and some salad. It sounds like an odd mixture but there was very little left after the family tucked in. Pudding was Cardinal Peaches which I hadn't made before. We finished off the evening with DS2's holiday photos.

Spends:
    Housekeeping: 13.88
    MS:
    Peaches half price as the whole shelf full was going over - but 8 of the nine I bought were useable.
    Free raspberries from the garden.
    19p for a bag of potatoes to make into mash along with 30p for liver so it will be liver, onions and mash some day soon.
    DH only got about half his usual housekeeping out this week and I underspent on my share by about 6 so we are still saving a little - but mostly on the back of a very low spend last week.
    Decluttering:
    It wasn't clutter as such but have used two of three bags of cauliflower and a couple of peppers, thus increasing fridge/freezer space, and the raspberries are ripening faster than I can use them so combining them with peaches and some vanilla sugar I made ages ago... worked well.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 41,606 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor

I knew about this . I always buy men's razors and have started buying men's deodorants. I don't wear perfume so I don't get ripped off in that parti ular way.

Glad DS is back home safely . I've been stalking my DS who is in Madrid via Messenger
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've been stalking my DS who is in Madrid via Messenger
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's a Mum thing You can also track them via the FlightRadar app if you have flight numbers or sufficient other details.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Jul 18, 11:57 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A positive report from the physio today - she is pleased with how I'm doing: my arm is near to flexing well enough to get normal strength back which is enormously encouraging. I'm allowed to carry light things again! I've celebrated by doing heaps of ironing which I'd been putting off. Also loads of laundry.

I had a thought about our housekeeping money. I usually have 40 cash but if I take out 30, then if I need to spend more than that, I could put it on my debit card for the same account... unless we are overspending that should mean more is left in the bank instead of running over to the next week. I don't know how well it will work but I'm trialling it.

I'm still avoiding tackling that bank account application form! It seemed huge when I tried it before and the thought of wading through it again is daunting! I did decide to set up the mortgage DD again so I can be sure of having enough DDs going through so as not to lose my 'reward' on that account as has happened twice recently. The DD form is now posted. I also heard that someone I know was awarded some compensation for a mistake over their banking and it suddenly occurred to me that I could complain officially about the DD that the bank never set up. Not only did it put me at risk of defaulting on the mortgage, but it's meant I've lost the 'reward' payments I would normally get, and the fault was clearly with them. It's been five months and it's never appeared, hence the need for me to fill in the form today.

Dinner today was from the freezer/cupboards but we needed bread and other bits and I bought a few treats for the ever-hungry offspring. (All of them, not just the one who comes wandering in around midnight asking if there's any food. Nothing I suggest tends to count as food, which is odd as I'm sure that's how the shops would classify it).

Spends:
    Housekeeping 3.78
    MS:
    Wombled 84p
    Dinner from freezer/cupboards
    10th coin savings 20p
    Confession:
    Bought a pastry for a treat tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 10-07-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Jul 18, 11:58 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 5,642 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The wood burning stove sounds a good idea. We have 1 and it always gets the room hot. If you are fortunate to be given free wood, it works out quite economical.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Jul 18, 11:44 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    We have a small amount of wood available for free as we have had to reduce some trees, but in the long term we'd need to buy in. I do still have a stock of wood in Mum's garage but it's a case of getting it here.

Today... I sent in a complaint about the DD that wasn't. Response is supposed to be within 48 hours so I'm hoping I can hang on to my notes for that long! It occurred to me that as well as losing my 'rewards' for a couple of months (6) I will have paid a bit extra in mortgage interest with a month's money not having gone out in time. I wasn't sure what to ask for in the part of the form that gets you to write down what you are hoping they will do to make good, so I put those two things. Resisted the temptation to request hundreds for emotional trauma!

Other than that I watched DVDs of To the Manor Born (again) and did some sewing. Nothing fancy: I am putting cheerful braid around a kitchen towel that's too thick and absorbent to throw out but tatty at the edges. I feel very mid-twentieth century but I won't count it as MS unless I finish it.

I got a card for H and A (comes under 'presents') and some groceries but honestly there wasn't much we needed. I had some sausages in the freezer and some red pesto so it was sausage pasta tonight. A few procrastinated jobs also got done: meter readings, prescription ordering and a phone call. Also laundry, but that's not news. It will be interesting to see how we cope when we don't have good drying weather!

Spends:
    Gift 2.95
    Housekeeping 1.80
    MS:
    Wombled 26p
    Meter readings done so we don't pay more than we have to - though I need to research the next providers as we're no longer on a cheap tariff.
    10th coin savings 20p
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 10-07-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    H'm... having a bit of a stress day so am coming to chat to y'all before I go out and buy more unnecessary stuff.

I had a text from the lady who looks after Mum's old house to say my sister had lost the keys! Long story short, they had been moved but she hadn't seen them and my sister, who is staying at the house sorting things out right now, had been down at the doctor's, poorly. That's after a lot of exchanging of texts and being annoyed with both of them: one for panicking and jumping to conclusions and the other because the place is reportedly in a mess, thus creating me another day away from home just to sort that out. My sister rang in the end and said among other things that it's making her ill, to which I said the same happens to me... oh, and DS offered to take me over there which could be a perfect solution except that last time he went he did nothing to help and is now denying I asked him, and I get muscle problems in the broken arm if it's not kept mobile, as in on car journeys.

My sister has also had an expression of interest in buying the house but it's from the daughter of a nosey woman I try to avoid... makes me a bit sad to think it might go to someone I probably wouldn't want to visit, even though I actually wouldn't want to go there again anyway unless it's restored to how I remember it from the late 1960s! Hypocritical or what? Maybe I just need to sleep on the idea and get over it.

I did get a little light relief and The Lady Who Cleans and I discussed going halves on some dynamite to get through my sister's debris.

So that's my moaning done for now! Feel free to ignore.

On the positive side, the bank rang me back over the complaint and explained I hadn't been notified of the non-payment of the mortgage because I was ahead on payments and so effectively hadn't lost any interest. They are reinstating the missing 'reward' payments and offered me 75 for the inconvenience, which is nice. I didn't refuse.

I was reading TOPM's thread and came across a mention of Bea Johnson so I looked her up and have to admit I bought the book. It's only 1.99 on Kindle and I like her style of writing. This is nothing to do with the fact I'm still part way though Early Retirement Extreme, The Millionaire Next Door and various non-money books including Les Miserables which is a goodly length. It's even less to do with my having lots and lots and lots of books I haven't started yet, not to mention the old favourites that I've read so much I can recite bits.

Oh, and I cleaned and tidied our part of the fridge and two shelves of the larder. This last is in itself a bit of history book. I found a broken cartoon cup at the back there which DS2 declares is a favourite of his (not sure he would have remembered it if told he can only keep possessions he can describe) - it dates back about 15 years.

So, please may I have ideas of what to do with the following: 2 jars of Dijon mustard, four jars of cranberry sauce, half a packet of strong brown flour, medium oatmeal, sesame seeds, seeds for sprouting (assorted), a jar of black olives that I thought were damson gin till I opened it (!), a jar of jalapenos that no one likes, a packet of meringues and a packet of sponge fingers?

And would you believe it, I have discovered that the storage containers I bought many years ago (and they cost more than I would normally pay even now) are still available! I thought I needed thinking time but I have saved the page with some in the online basket... they have withstood years of regular use, the lids remain a good fit and don't fall to bits unlike later cheaper versions. I am tempted - everything I attempt to store pasta in seems to get lost at the back of the top of the freezer and pasta is too bulky for normal places and these containers fit the larder shelves so well...

Enough of my waffling. I'm going to tidy the kitchen and go and buy dishwasher salt to satisfy the 'wanna buy myself out of stress' feelings.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,994Posts Today

8,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you rate your energy provider's recent service? Please vote in the latest MSE site poll? https://t.co/nkYxGbiXqe

• RT @Gillsnatter: "The phrase I hate is: it's only money. Money is one of the biggest causes of divorce it's one of the biggest causes of me?

• RT @TrevorNeal: Thanks Martin! It didn?t go unnoticed. Good to meet you too. We?re more likely to Swing Our Pensions these days..! #MartinL?

• Follow Martin