Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,703Posts
    • 9,178Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank 3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that 3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 46
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    By the way, have you seen a doctor about your pen addiction
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have, Hairy, but I wasn't impressed. His nibs didn't have an inkling what I was talking about.
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th May 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    No car boot sale this morning as DH has to attend something... I also had to pop into town and ended up spending (all useful stuff and no pens). It's warm and intermittently sunny which is perfect for mooching round the market and deciding not to buy stuff.

Last night I was going through my diary for information to put in the neglected spreadsheet, and reading back is illuminating. I saw more clearly how I am putting off the same stuff now as I was a year ago and it's things I could take action on but somehow don't, i.e. pension AVCs and a decent savings account. Yet I've made massive progress on the mortgage, paying off nearly half of what was left 13 months ago.

I can also see that some of the holes in my record keeping are due to things that are hard to keep track of on the day, or hard to categorise. These include holiday spending, payments to do with Mum's house and very busy times. I don't really know how to deal with these though a notebook of spending while away from home is helpful (I don't always have Internet). Part of it, of course, is that I put off dealing with any backlog.

Yesterday DH had a super-stressful morning at work but had booked the afternoon off to take his Dad to the shops as today's committment meant he couldn't fit it in this afternoon. We decided to have lunch out and drove to a cosy pub, only to find it's empty and up for auction! No, we didn't put in a bid. Sad that such a nice place has gone. We did find another country pub, though, and had a really super meal, two courses for 10 but it was good enough to have charged more. DH paid so it's not going on my spending . I had been feeling washed out but gradually picked up as the day went on and I've noticed I do feel better after a 'full' meal rather than porridge or similar. I don't think it's in the calories, I suspect the protein is helping. My shopping today therefore included chicken and chorizo to have with pasta and veg for a couple of work meals.

Spends:
    Housekeeping 11.79
    Toiletries 1.69
    Medical 0.20
    MS stuff:
    Lots of yellow-stickered items saving 1.13
    Bought ingredients rather than ready meals - if I make 3 meals with these they will come to about 1.20 each which is more than the cheapest ready meals but probably more satisfying, and about haf the price of the mid-range ready meals.
    A double points voucher -one of those things that's money-saving only if used.
    Wombled 10p off one of DH's receipts
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 12-05-2018 at 2:43 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 28,173 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have, Hairy, but I wasn't impressed. His nibs didn't have an inkling what I was talking about.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Maybe you need to see a doctor about your pun addiction too
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    Emergency Fund 1 = 560.59/Emergency Fund 2 = 0.21/Loss of Income Fund 0
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 28,173 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You've made amazing progress on the mortgage Cherry .

A small spending notebook to carry around is useful, or use the notes section on your mobile to jot down your spending (that's what I do).
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Maybe you need to see a doctor about your pun addiction too
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    That makes two of us
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 28,173 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That makes two of us
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th May 18, 7:21 AM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 15,629 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I used to love a meal out in a country pub. It's a shame the one you went to had closed but glad you found a replacement.

Mmm I could eat a pub meal right now.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. 53.10/502 10.57%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - 53.10/ 7864.52
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent yeaterday (13th).

I'm a bit short of days off this week - only really tomorrow - so I'm doing some day off jobs today, which seems to be becoming a trend. Thankfully the energy levels are back up and the sky is blue so I can do anything. Well, apart from actually getting down to the really important stuff.

So far today: I manoeuvred the bins and discovered the one for garden waste was full of water and smelled foul, so that's now emptied and airing. We don't pay for collection but they left the bin with us so things that won't compost collect in there till there's enough for a tip trip.
    Sold a couple of packets of seeds that I can't use and which came with a magazine. Lovely buyer. The 2 she paid will go into the general fund and off the cost of the magazine.
    Two loads of washing on the line.
    One load of washing in the machine.
    Made a start of the ironing.
    Chatted to the window cleaner and paid him for two visits. (10).
    Admired my coffee plant (yes, I have one ) which I put in the sun last week and which has rewarded me with beautiful shiny new growth.

Avoided:
    Getting down to paying the Council Tax on Mum's house. Need to get to this urgently as it's due by tomorrow and don't want to get stuck with some problem that takes days to sort out (okay so that may already have happened in theory).

Mand S have sent the paperwork for my new card so at some point I need to read and sign though I think I've read much of it online already.

Interestingly, following from me googling whether a certain supermarket has a loyalty card, that same supermarket has written to me offering a cashback CC! That just HAS to come from cookies, doesn't it? I don't normally hear from them. If I hadn't just had a credit check for the Mand S card I might be interested as I do use them from time to time but I don't want to end up with a reduced credit score (not that I know much about it).

Right (said she, decisively) - if I come back here for anything but advice before I've sorted out that Council Tax, send me away with a stern warning.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th May 18, 11:48 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Council Tax sorted! One instalment paid by CC and reclaimed from the estate, DD instruction posted. Work was fun - that happens from time to time.

Spends:
    Window cleaning x 2 10.00 by cheque
    ebook 0.99 (but came off gift voucher)
    Council Tax comes out of estate money.
    MS stuff:
    5p in the 10th coin savings

Looking forward to my day off tomorrow
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 15-05-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Spendy sort of day today but the weather is so nice I'm not particularly complaining... I did manage some savings by dint of wandering round the sunny high street finding what was cheap.

I have also done 20 minutes' gardening which doesn't sound much but the little patch I did looks so much better.

The dentist was the main expense - I need to look into whether I really would save on a dental plan. I've avoided them before because I don't often need extra work and in the past year I also spent out on an electric toothbrush which seems to be keeping my teeth in good shape. That toothbrush was my 'insurance' for the year and the MS aspect is letting the battery run right down before charging it up completely, thus hopefully keeping it going as long as possible. However I had about 85 extra to pay in March for a (very good) repair to a chipped tooth, and the bill today was 110. I'm wondering if a sneaky start to dental insurance in six months' time, plus moving my annual appointment up a month, will make it all cheaper in the long term. My costs have gone from roughly 1 a week averaged over the year to nearer 4.

Other than that, I took a list to the shops and got everything on it plus a couple of bits that looked nice/cheap/unnecessary. Bargain oranges in the greengrocers (plus a free carrier bag), half price dishwasher cleaner in W!lkos (so I got two), more coffee sachets on offer etc.

Spends:
    Medical (dentist/toothpaste) 111.00
    Housekeeping 13.23
    Pets 0.99
    MS stuff:
    Savings by going to greengrocer and W!lkos not supermarket for some things
    Toothpaste from shop.
    Coffee under half price so stocked up and will continue to do while the offer runs as I have a sachet coffee every day.
    Wombled 28p
    10th coin savings pot 45p
    Confession time:
    Dentist is getting really expensive - kind of worth it in that this one seems good, but I must be able to cut costs somehow and still stay with this particular dentist?
    Ahem! Treated myself to chocolate. Don't tell the dentist!

I now need to start reading throught the paperwork for the new credit card. The sooner I do it, the sooner I can have my savings earning 5%.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 15-05-2018 at 8:10 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 28,173 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm with an NHS dentist which does cap the costs, although it still seems expensive. Our dentist is very good and much nicer than the private one we used to have years ago.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th May 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I stuck with this practice when it went private because I had an amazing dentist here, though he's now left. I had a good NHS dentist too... he went back to Australia. I have this effect on good dentists. Shame, as I think the new one is probably good too... if I decide to go on affording him.

Little to report today as I had a long shift (to be followed by two more long shifts). However I rallied enough to get some housework done this evening, the CC application is in the post and I have the cheque to pay the estate the overpaid electricity bill.

Spends:
    Housekeeping 10.35
    MS stuff:
    Wombled 4p
    10th coin savings 1.02

10th coin savings pot is now over 5! I'm going to transfer a fiver to my savings and the 5 cash goes back into my purse for spending rather than take another fiver out of the bank. That 10th coin savings has just paid me the same as the bank pays me in interest in a year and 8 months!! And the book was right - I haven't missed it. I started around the end of April so maybe three weeks. An odd idea that works so far. (Mind you the interest rate on that account is rubbish, hence plans to get a higher rate savings account).
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 17-05-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th May 18, 12:24 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Interesting... as the ISA hasn't been paid into for over a year, I can't add to it without reactivating it. I suppose that makes sense really. I'm keeping the fiver and going to add more '10th coins' to it with the hope of adding them to the either the new savings account once I'm eligible for it, or some other form of savings.

Not tonight though. I need sleep!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm in the doldrums today, partly because I'm short of sleep. A visit to the doctor reveals my medication levels are where they should be so the strange tiredness remains strange. We went through possible other causes and I'm starting on iron (oh joy - for those who've been there before ). If that doesn't work we'll review it in a few months.

Financial mistake made, though not a major one. I have free prescriptions but decided to buy the iron over the counter as the doctor said it's very cheap. It turned out to be nearly as much as a prescription! So there's a few pounds wasted because I wanted to sae the NHS some money - and of course I got it wrong: the prescription charge would have helped the NHS's coffers. I'm putting that one down to experience.

I did a little self-prescribing and got myself some cod liver oil and some chocolate. I know how to make myself feel better!

Spends:
    Toiletries 1.50
    Housekeeping 2.84
    Medical 13.80
    MS stuff:
    cod liver oil on 342... and cheaper in smaller bottles.
    Confession time:
    Miscalculated re medical charges so 6.30 spent that I didn't need to.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th May 18, 9:52 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 37,504 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight Cherry xx

I also have a problem with my dentists leaving - the last one is now a property developer. He replaced the retired one who replaced the one that was murdered!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 250.33
    Debt 2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I also have a problem with my dentists leaving - the last one is now a property developer. He replaced the retired one who replaced the one that was murdered!
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    : That's quite a history! Poor chap (or chapess). Mine just emigrate (Australia and Africa).
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 15,629 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I hope you get some sleep cherry. Enjoy the chocolate. (I know it's an Easter bunny but it's chocolate).

Fingers crossed your iron levels get sorted soon.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. 53.10/502 10.57%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - 53.10/ 7864.52
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 28,173 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight Cherry xx

Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Murdered who knew there was such a high turnover of dentists
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th May 18, 10:49 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    So has my thread become 'The one where dentists get murdered'?!

Doldrums continued on and off today - I'm so tired. The week when I do a lot of earlies always has this effect. I did suggest to management that it wasn't the best for me but it doesn't seem to have translated into action. I wonder sometimes if I should reduce my hours - but part of the benefit of being at work is that it's better for my mental health, and of course it's more income to 'play' with, by which I mean try to catch up for the years when I wasn't earning.

I did manage a bit of cleaning and tidying and in the process found about 6 of change which DH had shed - on the bedroom windowsill, under furniture, in pockets... tipped it into the change jar, totalled that up (10.10) and took a bagful to the supermarket. I've traded it for bread, cream, cucumber, eggs and margarine. It was fun lifting the lid on the coins slot at the self-service till and tipping it in! It messes up sums for housekeeping but I can live with that. I might even get some baking done this weekend.

I've also finished 'The Richest Man in Babylon'. I wouldn't recommend it if you like well-written books as it's a pretty ghastly and unrealistic attempt to make modern American writing appear antiquated (I studied quite a few very old manuscripts for my degree so this jarred with me), but there are some interesting ideas there. Might skim through again and make a few notes.

Spends:
    Pets 0.50
    Housekeeping 3.59
    MS stuff:
    Wombled 8p
    Put some of DH's change back into circulation
    Noticed my CC has given me 55p in loyalty points for some purchases.
    Bought cheaper bread which also has fewer calories - I'm rather addicted to nice grainy bread but I can save 30p and 272 kcal per loaf by being less indulgent.
    Confession time:
    I notice I am regularly making cappuccino, eating a chocolate biscuit and having a nap after early shifts. It doesn't quite make up for the tiredness but I feel better for it!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th May 18, 10:53 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    P.S. to the above. I have paid the change jar back out of the housekeeping budget and put the results into the 10th coin savings. Seems fair enough - in the savings account I'm trying to get, that would earn me 20p more a year. What shall I spend it on?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,499Posts Today

8,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin