Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,624Posts
    • 8,618Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 43
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,920 Posts
    • 26,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad your Fitbit is working, I really love mine. You seem to be making good progress on your mum's old house.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £281.59/Emergency Fund 2 = £41.81/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I walked over to my friend's house this evening (got a lift home - and isn't it foggy!) so I've just about got my steps in today which is just as well as I've been eating cake and a biscuit.

My sister rang: progress is being made on the house by the sound of it and she thinks the water dripping from the ceiling was condensation! I'm not entirely convinced but I haven't seen it. We do now have two years' worth of Council Tax to pay there: nearly £4000! Ah well, there is money in the estate to cover it and it's best to be on the right side of the law.

My jobs list for today now looks like this:
    ironing 1 DONE
    ironing 2 DONE
    ironing 3
    ironing 4
    one load into washer DONE
    put away clean laundry DONE
    prep study for tonight DONE
    piano practice DONE
    15 minutes decluttering
    Get dinner and random shopping DONE

I have decluttered a book and some scraps of paper but not much.

Spends:
    Piano lesson £10.00
    Household (fire extinguisher) £14.99
    Housekeeping £2.50
    MS stuff:
    Wandered round the supermarket deciding I didn't want this, that and the other: I'd rather have the space and the money. This is happening quite a lot now.
    Found the missing butter - in the butter dish. I never thought to look there.
    Confession time:
    Threw out the dregs of a pint of milk and loads of yogurt that had gone off because I chose other things last week.
    MFW #30 Paid off £1270/£3770 as of April 2018
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Today the dishwasher is on and I have planted a bag of crocus bulbs I found languishing behind the tub of gardening gloves, trowel and other garden treasure that I don't allow in the shed in case they emerge 20 years later, ruined.

The bulbs say to plant August to December... I think early April is close enough, don't you? The poor things were sprouting and might have starved if I'd made them wait all summer. Still to go in are tulips, snowdrops, anemones, oxalis and liatris, though I'm not sure any but the tulips are in with much of a chance. I have them in to soak in the hope of giving them a kick start.

Today's job list needs to prepare me for a long day at work tomorrow as there's training as well as my usual shift, then I'm working all weekend... I checked my diary and calendar against each other this morning and found my work/life pattern for the next few weeks isn't quite what I thought so I'm trying to rejig things a bit. Near the top of the list is buying oats, yogurt and frozen berries for work meals.

List:
    • ironing pile 1
    • ironing pile 2
    • shops
    • declutter
    • get ahead on next week's study prep
    • piano practice
    • sort some scarves and bags for charity
    • check emails
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th Apr 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 15,317 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Another busy day for you cherry.

It sounds like the rest of the week is going to be very busy for you. Try to make some time for your self.
    Don't let yourself be controlled by three things: people, money or past experiences.
    Reds life!!! X
    2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.
    I stopped waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel and lit that b*tch up myself.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    8.20pm update: a little progress made on the official list: emails are checked, shops are shopped at, a dozen books have gone to the charity shop and a good handful of papers are in recycling. Ironing is untouched today but there's a small start made on thinning out bags and scarves. The snowdrops are now planted as well as the crocuses, I hope the blackbird doesn't dig them up.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £12.13
    MS stuff:
    Used up some cous cous with coriander and a lemon we had in store instead of buying ready made.
    Tomorrow's lunch is ready in the fridge though I've to make a sandwich or something for tea as well.
    DH had something of a win: we'd accidentally let our free anti-virus for the computer overrun and found they had billed us £90 for another year's worth! He rang up to cancel and got it down to £35 which I guess isn't too bad - certainly better than £90.
    I found the limescale prevention powder is cheaper than tablets.

I think I need to go and catch up on diaries...
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Apr 18, 11:40 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Yesterday and today both = NSDs.

Work, work, work, sleep... plus mooching on the computer and completing the ironing. Sadly no gardening or decluttering for a couple of days. I'm working through till Tuesday morning now and expect to be away Wednesday to Friday next week to work on Mum's house so I'm not sure how much I'll get done here but I'll try.

DH has sounded out the kitchen wall for electricals and there don't seem to be any hidden ones so he has started to drill the holes for the cupboard fixings which is proving hard work. DS is lending some gadget tomorrow to help. We still only have two cupboard carcasses assembled but they don't take very long. I'm determined to get more stuff out of the house over the weekend somehow!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 14th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 12,010 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    You are so busy!

Hoping you're finding some time to yourself xx
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    This part of my rota is always busy, Wannabe . I do get days off when other people don't, though, and I enjoy what I do. Another busy shift today and they've drafted some extra staff in to help as it's a somewhat unusual situation so it's been all go, but quite fun.

We went to the car boot sale and bought some plants this morning. The field is still on the muddy side but not as bad as it has been! Didn't stay too long and managed to tidy up a bit before lunch as well as restocking the ironing pile.

Spends:
    Garden £4.00
    MS stuff:
    Car boot plants cost less.
    Confession time:
    I've invented a variation on overnight oats which is very more-ish but more expensive AND more calorific than my usual version.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 15th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 15,317 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I never think of going to carboots for plants cherryfudge. I will keep that in mind.

Wow, well done on your DS for the electrical stuff. My DS has no practical skills whatsoever. I should have married a builder.
    Don't let yourself be controlled by three things: people, money or past experiences.
    Reds life!!! X
    2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.
    I stopped waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel and lit that b*tch up myself.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    My favourite carboot has some super plant stalls parsnip, though it's worth having a look round because the same plant can often be found at quite different prices.

DS is very practical and DIY-minded - we want to grow up to be like him The kitchen wall turned out to be safe but nigh-on impossible to drill so getting the cabinets up is going to take seriously hard work. So far one of the hoped-for five is in place. I have filled it, in its doorless and untrimmed state, with a tasteful array of plastic boxes. That should encourage further work.

Well, here I am on the famous Day Off again, with far too much stuff to do to know where to start. It won't be kitchen cabinets because if DH can't do them on his own, neither can I. If the wind drops, I might try to fit in a run later.

I got some groceries yesterday, which reminds me I haven't actually started a spreadsheet for this financial year, or completed last year's! I have the data (mostly on here) but am rubbish at getting down to filling it in.

I also got rid of a small handful of paper... so much for making progress over the weekend but extra work time and energy spent with a busy work weekend put paid to that so I'm glad I made even that tiny bit of progress.

Today's list (to be added to or crossed off as the day goes on:
    • type up things for tonight - done
    • Look up shopping list for Mum's house and either put in an order or go out to shops - not much so will have shop today and carry it - so I need my case out of the loft
    • declutter another handful of papers - half a handful done!
    • find another book for the charity box - done - 2 books!
    • do piano practice noooo...
    • plant the bulbs that have been soaking for a few days - done, and entered into my gardening log so I know what they are if they come up
    • if it gets dry enough, mow the lawn - it's raining
    • tidy kitchen - better than it was
    • clean bathroom - done
    • get spring clothing out of the loft and put some winter stuff up - done: a bin bag full of winter woollies
    • pack for trip to work on Mum's house - started
    • find my summer mac
    • do some ironing
    • do some handwashing
    • ...and breathe

Spends 16/4/18:
    toiletries £4.00
    Housekeeping £12.09
    MS stuff:
    Saved £2.40 on a multi-buy
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 17-04-2018 at 7:35 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Interesting... When I accidentally cancelled my mortgage DD last month I went into the local branch and had them set up a new one. I also made an overpayment on the mortgage of more than my DD amount, a short while later.

I've just checked the account - the new DD hasn't been taken out! I'm off to the branch to see what's going on. Presumably they haven't alerted me because the sum due has been paid - but only by accident. If I had been more organised and the end of last month hadn't fallen where it did, it would look as though I wasn't paying.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well, I went into the branch and verified the DD isn't on the account - probably isn't anywhere, but they say they will probably have a recording of the phone call, so it should be traceable. I'm redoing the application on paper so I will at least have a copy this time. The assistant did apologise which helps a bit. Yet another job to do... I did think I might be owed some interest but I won't really as I've still overpaid, just not by as much as I thought. I wondered how I hadn't seen it last month but I remember I couldn't log in for a while because something had changed on my computer, cookies had been deleted or something, so I lost my automatic log-in. Then it was the Bank Holiday right at the start of this month so I assumed it hadn't been processed on time because of that.

I have done a little bit of paper decluttering, taken a couple of bags and some scarves to charity and taken some surplus bulbs to work for the garden there - so there is a tiny bit more space - who am I kidding? - there is 3 bags' worth of space that there wasn't before! That's oodles!

Piano practice didn't happen but my lesson wasn't too bad so I've unwound a bit: just as well as I was having trouble concentrating earlier. Off to update my list above.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    End of a busy day tally:

17/4/18 Spends:
    Gift £45.00 (may have been £44.99, not sure. DS1's birthday).
    Pets £3.50
    Housekeeping £10.30
    Garden £2.00
    MS stuff:
    Big rush today and DH working late with refreshments provided so I just made myself a big bowl of porridge and some chocolate digestives for tea! Left the pizza in the fridge for DS.
    Decided against online shopping for the trip to Mum's house so got a handful of bits that I know I'll need soon, plus a few foodstuffs. I still have quite a lot to eat up in the cupboards there.
    Confession time:
    I may have got the bulbs planted today but I gave in and bought a couple more from the £ shop (trailing begonias and Phlox).
    I'm intending to travel the slightly more expensive route and go shopping on the way! I haven't done this for some months and I would be able to cope without it but there are a few things I could do with and it works out about £2 cheaper than the alternative trip-to-a-bigger-town.

Will be doing my ritual wave to Wannabe as I go past hers!

Hopefully back on Friday.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 18-04-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 20th Apr 18, 1:14 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 3,196 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Porridge for tea is what I usually do if eating when the children are eating with the ex.
    paydbx #93 £642/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Here I am back again and for once progress is visible on Mum's house - mostly due to my sister packing up vast quantities of things into a mountain of boxes. She is hoping to be able to move these out over the summer - a strange combination of circumstances has meant she is actually wanting more furniture just when we have lots to dispose of. I will confess to finding more books I want to keep, plus a small amount of ornamental memorabilia and a letter establishing the provenance of an antique I was left in Mum's will. I also found a couple of family treasures so my sister and I have one each but I've handed mine on to one of my children who is the namesake of the person who first owned it, and he seemed really pleased so that's good.

I also have to confess to a lot of spending on clothes: I treated myself to a shopping trip on the way through as I haven't been since I think before Christmas. Over £80! However half of it was on a jumper which cheers me up after all the dull winter things I've been in so long, and the rest is tee shirts for work (and holidays).

Yet another confession - two 'paper cup' coffees on the train. They were really good ones, though.

I managed one run: I'm up to 4.5K again but only just.

Back later to try to account for all monies. One the plus side I had an extra sleep in shift at work which is about £35.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent today, and DH and I managed a run (hard work but cheaper than going to a car boot sale!)

19/4/18 Spends:
    Train ticket (to be reclaimed) £59.10 (good job I had done my homework as the person on the kiosk assumed I was travelling by another route and was going to charge me another tenner).
    Housekeeping £8.29
    Clothing £80.46
    20th, 21st
    NSDs.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd Apr 18, 12:51 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 3,196 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well done on the running progress. The lighter evenings do help to achieve more don't they?!
    paydbx #93 £642/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another nice day - the rain held off, the air is warm, work was quiet and there's still light in the sky at nine pm. Best of all, we had all the family round to lunch and some of them stayed for ages (I didn't - work - DS1 had an essay and Grandpa went home to rest).

Spends:
    Housekeeping £1.05

I remembered to get the coming week's housekeeping money out on the way through town today so there won't be the temptation to spend another couple of pounds on the card before going to the till for cash. Last week I didn't spend half my share and handed it to DH to do the Sunday dinner shopping. We're experimenting with him having a 'bigger half' this week as he does more of the shopping than I do.

And I am way behind on diaries... sorry.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 23rd Apr 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Just the one day off this week (tomorrow) and I seem to be wasting today so I need to get a plan of action for the three ours before I go to work!

Incidentally our computer battery is going from bad to worse so there will be some sort of expense there in the not-too-distant.

I need to: make another CC payment, go for a run, get laundry under way, make food to take to work.

3-2-1-go!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 23rd Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 12,010 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day Cherry x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,107Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin