Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,706Posts
    • 9,205Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank 3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that 3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 38
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Like what seems like everybody else (sorry to those who are still cut off), I've been food shopping today. The shelves were bare of bread by tea time and other stuff is thin on the ground! I called in to collect my prescription and it was an item short: the pharmacy hasn't had some deliveries. It took till the third supermarket to get sliced corned beef for my FiL. Interestingly there doesn't seem to be a shortage of tinned food or cereal: perhaps people are sick of them!

Before the food shopping I had an hour to look round the retail park but amazingly I didn't buy anything. I just kept thinking of the heap of stuff I still have to sort through and declutter and the only thing that tempted me was a jumper that didn't fit when I tried it on. There are some pretty things in for spring, so someone must believe it's coming.

I'm nearly 10 into next week's food money already. Some of that was a big bag of chickpeas and some was more dates seeing as I can't not make those date bars again.

Spends
    Housekeeping 23.61
    Toiletries 0.50
    MS stuff:
    Chickpea tikka tomorrow and I've bought dried chickpeas, not tinned, which will save a few pennies.
    Didn't buy anything from retail park.
    Wearing four layers rather than put the heating up.
    Free entertainment listening to icicles thawing, and free workout chipping ice off the path.
    Confession time:
    Overspent on food (Even allowing for the 6.22 underspend last week, I'm already 4.65 into next week's money, but I'm eating out twice next week (!) so that will help to redress the balance).
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 10-05-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 10,101 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I've got dates on my list for Monday So much for using up things I have, and no more baking.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 3rd Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,574 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I've been at work today, it was worse than Christmas! Yesterday they were queuing in the aisle. There was no bread from 2pm (a large Mr T).
    Well done on not spending in the retail park, i daren't even go to look round as i know there will be something i want.
    LBM in April 17 - 6655/33554 (19.8%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET 1031/5000 (20.6% paid)
    SPC #591
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 10,101 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hello,

Lime and coconut slice as mentioned else where:

6oz plain flour, 1oz sugar, 4oz butter mixed to make breadcrumbs. Line a small tray - mine is 18cm x 15cm. Tip two thirds of the breadcrumbs into the lined tin. Spread them out and then squash down with a fish slice to make a nice thin compacted shortbread style base. Save the other third for the crumble topping. If you haven't got enough to fill your tin use it all and make another small batch for the topping. Put the base in at 180 for 12 minutes. Let it cool.

Spread over lime or lemon curd (or jam with coconut in the crumble topping, or stewed apple with nutmeg or cinnamon in with the crumble topping).

Add any flavour to the remaining crumble mix, I added a few handfuls of coconut for the lime one, then sprinkle it over the fruit layer then back into the oven for another 20 minutes at 180. Let it cool then cut into small cubes.

For the lime curd I did the bowl over the pan thing. Zest and juice of 3 limes, with 4oz sugar and 2 oz butter. Melt it together till the sugar is dissolved, then add two beaten eggs and stir constantly for 20 minutes (yawn) till it costs the back of the spoon. Next time I would add twice as much curd. When I make the jam one I use a whole jar. HTH
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Mar 18, 12:44 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Brilliant! Thanks, redo
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Back to work this afternoon and overnight so a quick catch up is called for.

Yesterday DH treated me to a cinema visit to see The Winter's Tale ballet which was absolutely superb - an afternoon well spent. I got a drink in the interval so 3.85 on entertainment.

Having finished last week with an overspend on housekeeping I'm about 5 short this week but am hoping that between having two meals out and casseroles in the freezer, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have, however, discovered that the big bag of chickpeas which I put in the freezer yesterday has frozen into a solid block, so I foresee a bit of a situation in the future!

I've also fitted in a sneaky weekend birthday so I have Am@zon and garden centre vouchers to spend! I have my eye on a couple of books but haven't made any decisions yet. I also noticed I have 90p in The W0rks points to be spent by the end of the month but I'm not shopping specially. Same goes for all those 'It's your birthday!' offers that come by email - if I wasn't going to buy anyway I probably won't use them. It's all money in their hands and less space in my overcrowded house!

Speaking of buying, our cooker element packed up yesterday but DH was able to find the email for last time this happened and has ordered a replacement which we hope to install ourselves (as we did 4 years ago). That should save a fair bit. Then DS's laptop packed up (will no longer charge on mains) and he admitted he is having trouble getting enough charge on his phone too. He has money but it's all locked up in ISAs and stuff so cash flow is a problem. This semester has been easier as he's not had travel expenses (placement near home) but generally he's very cash-strapped. He can borrow our laptop but the battery is useless so it has to be on mains - and the lead is becoming unreliable!

On the plus side I gave him a traditional alarm clock that was Mum's - has anyone else noticed modern houses don't always have actual clocks? He is charmed with it. The numbers light up and he used pliers to get the hands in the right place (the little wheels that wound them round have disappeared). I remember his older (tech-savvy from toddlerhood) brother being fascinated with a very old gramophone too, and their Dad loves the grandfather clock. There is a fascination in mechanism that isn't the same as electronics.

I had better go and have lunch now so I can get to the shops before work. I wonder if bread is back on the shelves?

Spends:
    Entertainment 3.85
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 17-04-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,574 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Happy belated birthday Cherry!! Hope you had a fantastic day.

Hope work isn't too busy and you manage to get some bread. The snow is almost gone here too.
    LBM in April 17 - 6655/33554 (19.8%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET 1031/5000 (20.6% paid)
    SPC #591
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 5th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 30,599 Thanks
    XSpender
    Many happy returns xx
    Action Plan Part 1 - Clear First 3 Balances
    Target Debt Lloyds (Me) Part 1 666.22/0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 1 1176.49/0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 2 1038/995
    Big black hole of debt - 53,515.15 @ 16.12.17 52,811.64 @ 28.02.18, 50,638.77 @ 28.03.18, 49,778.78 @ 20.04.18, 46,093.32 @ 18.05.18
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 10,101 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Happy Birthday from me too
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thank you everyone! And yes, bread is back, though I know in other areas there are people still snowed in. In fact it rained hard last night here so nearly all the snow is gone.

I have been making hummus with red pepper and it tastes very nice though I am probably unsociably garlicy... I saw the recipe on XSpender's freezer thread. I did have to thin it down with some of the liquid from the jar of peppers because it originally had all the lightness of a half-dried out swamp, but taste-wise - yummy! And money-saving as I have a 2kg bag of chick peas cooked and in the fridge and we had the other ingredients too.

Tonight will be less money-saving as I'm out with friends for a meal and will probably go to someone's house and play silly board games later.

I spent a little on groceries yesterday and 10 on piano lesson today so I'll start a new week's reckoning on the end of this post.

5th Spends:
    Housekeeping 3.10
    Medical 1.00
    6th Spends:
    Piano 10.00
    (Late addition) Entertainment 12.40 meal out
    MS stuff:
    Home made hummus
    7th Spends:
    Lunch out 7.00
    Housekeeping 3.88
    MS Stuff:
    Attempted to make yogurt
    Dinner from leftovers
    8th Spends:

Greetings cards 2.50
    Housekeeping 1.00
    MS Stuff:
    Made enough yogurt to float a battleship
    9th
    Ebook 0.99
    10th
    Housekeeping 2.58
    Garden 1.80
    11th
    NSD
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 17-04-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 37,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Happy belated birthday Cherry
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 250.33
    Debt 2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well, the bread may be back on the shelves, and the delayed items for the pharmacy arrived this morning, but there now appears to be a shortage of frozen veg.

I went for a walk with friends this morning and had lunch out: there was definitely warmth in the sun that increased as the day went on! The car registered 10C as the out of doors temp - quite something when it was below freezing not so long ago. Even the guinea pig benefitted from several hours out in the garden. I did doze for while when I got in... I felt I needed it though the walk wasn't strenuous. Perhaps I just need to check if I'm getting enough sleep at night, which I doubt.

Dinner tonight was bits and pieces from the fridge and freezer. DH and DS had put the new element in the oven while I was out and the wallpapering had progressed in the lounge, but as usual the fridge and freezer were overflowing. Tonight I'm trying to turn a couple of pints of milk into yogurt. I've always managed to kill the poor yogurt when I've tried it in the past but I think that was due to overheating the live culture. This time I'm using a thermometer and I won't do anything to try to make it warmer once it's mixed: just a lid on the pan and wrap the lot in towels. I reckon once it's started to turn it may progress more slowly as the temperature falls but it won't kill it - after all live yogurt is usually kept in a fridge.

Not too expensive a day today though two meals out in two days is rather a lot and there's another tomorrow!

MS stuff:
    Attempted to make yogurt.
    Dinner from leftovers.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Day off number three: usually I'd have been over working on Mum's house but didn't think I had long enough this time around as I had arranged to go walking with friends yesterday and was originally on a training course too (now postponed). As consequence I had a relaxing morning yesterday but am short of sleep. I think that's a mental heath issue but I haven't got to the bottom of it. I sleep well once I'm asleep but definitely avoid getting to that point.

Anyway, I think I will feel better if I can focus enough to get some jobs done. We are going out for a family meal later and I'm worrying in case anyone comes back to the house as it's a disgrace and I really don't know where to start. This morning's snow has melted and it's nice out so that's a bonus.

I suspect a visit to the dentist is called for: a tooth has gone suddeny achey but it could be blocked sinuses so I keep putting it off. Dentists are costly and I don't feel sure of the new one since my best-ever dentist left to go abroad!

I also have more to do at work than I have opportunity to do, so I may just email my manager and point out I'm not getting any computer time and can I be paid to do some of the work at home? Unfortunately we don't get work laptops and most of the admin is confidential and can't go on my home computer. Oh, and my increment depends on getting it done in the next few weeks, during which I also have to take my remaining leave... not huge amounts but difficult to fit in while everyone else is doing the same. I've spoken to my manager about carrying some over but he's being a bit non-committal despite my pointing out that some of it had been booked and I'd cancelled it and covered a shift that wasn't getting picked up. I'm not even going to get computer time to send in my timesheets, but I can do that from home.

And breathe.

So: jobs I want to get done today to convince the family (should they come here at all!) that I am an Organised Housewife.
    rehydrate
    Finish doing my makeup
    get shoes on
    Unpack my backpack
    open lounge curtains!
    Put laundry on the line
    ironing
    wash up
    make one more batch of yogurt to use up the milk that went OOD yesterday
    clean fridge
    clean oven shelves (job started yesterday then had to go out for supplies)
    Clean bathroom
    Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    Email manager?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 10,101 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The work thing sounds frustrating, can you email your manager a confirmation of the discussion so you have a record if you need it later? Sorry - bossy HR head on.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    1pm update

Jobs I want to get done today to convince the family (should they come here at all!) that I am an Organised Housewife.
    rehydrate
    Finish doing my makeup
    get shoes on
    Unpack my backpack
    open lounge curtains!
    Put laundry on the line
    ironing
    wash up
    clean fridge
    Clean bathroom
    Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    Email manager?

Dh has just texted with some admin stuff he's doing for Mum's house which is comforting. He also suggested I email my manager.

A few little jobs half done and a lot I could add to the list but I'll save that till some of these are out of the way.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The work thing sounds frustrating, can you email your manager a confirmation of the discussion so you have a record if you need it later? Sorry - bossy HR head on.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Bossy HR head very welcome! Thanks for this, I've just drafted an email to him and sent a copy to DH for advice (he's a manager elsewhere in the same organisation so he knows the policies etc).

Right - back to housework!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    3pm update

Jobs I want to get done today to convince the family (should they come here at all!) that I am an Organised Housewife.
    Finish doing my makeup
    Unpack my backpack
    Put laundry on the line
    ironing
    wash up
    make one more batch of yogurt to use up the milk that went OOD yesterday - just waiting for the milk to cool
    clean fridge - started
    Clean bathroom
    Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    Email manager? - draft written

Also done - tidied away random laundry, set dishwasher off, had more coffee. Things do seem to take longer than they should!

A few little jobs half done and a lot I could add to the list but I'll save that till some of these are out of the way.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    End of the day update

ironing
    clean fridge - started
    Clean bathroom
    Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    Email manager

The smell of cleaning fluids was going to my head after that so I went out to the shops ( shop oven cleaner and a couple of birthday cards), had a text from DH who was coming out of work and met him in town. Bent his ear about work all the way home!

We had a lovely meal out with the extended family and no one came to inspect the tip sparkling house so I need not have worried.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Mar 18, 11:56 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Happy belated birthday Cherry,I hope your tooth isnt giving you any more problems,Ive been doing the house today too,it looked lovely until DD boyfriend came home,he is so untidy it drives me mad,I told him off so he tidied up,he will be moving out in September as he is going to uni so I will get some respite then,I will miss him as he is a nice lad,I just wish he would tidy up after himself
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 636.00 Total Now Owed = 16,994
    Emergency Fund = 400.00 Xmas savings = 200.00
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    ,I will miss him as he is a nice lad,I just wish he would tidy up after himself
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    My son completely tidied his room the other day so there is hope... I did ask if he'd help me do mine but he has too much sense to fall for a bit of flattery.

Nearly didn't spend anything today but 99p has gone on an ebook: just light fiction to help me wind down. I had been getting into A Series of Unfortunate Events but ended up rather drawn into the gloom of it all!

Work went unexpectedly well - I'm very grateful. Yesterday's email has been acted on! I have to organise myself now to be seen to be making the most of computer access, and I also have permission to work from home for some aspects of it - not something that's possible for most of my job. In addition, leave days have been identified and cover found. Now all I have to do is remember to book them. Oh, and a meeting I have to arrange that was worrying me... I now have the opportunity to sit in on something very similar in a few weeks which should give me an introduction to the people concerned and some more insight into the situation without the onus being on me. Phew!

I still haven't sorted my timesheets but I finished an online course and followed up some emails so I am probably square-eyed from so much computer work!

So that was all wonderful. I came home to find DH hadn't had such a good day so we had a chat... hopefully I helped a bit but it's one of those things you have to sleep on and see how you feel the next day.

Oh, and something that could be rather costly: I've booked that dental appointment. The tooth is fine as long as I don't bite on it - which reminds me my previous dentist told me I have a very fine crack in that tooth which hurts if pressure is applied, so I suspect it's got worse.

I had better come off the computer soon and let my eyes return to their usual shape... have a good weekend everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

802Posts Today

7,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin